Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,737 members, 7,813,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

The Best Striker In The World - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Best Striker In The World (9265 Views)

Messi Not Listed Among Best Striker In Europe! Why? / Obafemi Martins: Most Efficient Striker In The Bundesliga / Best Striker In Europe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Striker In The World by toxicguy: 7:11pm On Jun 03, 2009
tocdee:

How can you say that Villa works harder? Do you even watch Torres play for Spain? He does all the hard work behind Villa while the latter does the scoring. And Torres is much better at leading the line in a sole role. Villa DOES NOT play as a lone-striker for Spain BUT Torres did an excellent job there against Germany at the Euro finals when villa got injured.

By 'beat' you mean outscore them with headers ,don't you? Because 6 out of his 13 league goals this season were headers. Plus he scored a lot more in the same way last season. How many did Ronaldo score with his conceited head? Klose is special aerially but even he is going a bit downhill. And Vidic? LOL!!!

I found this line quite amusing. You can't resist, can you? Liverpool improved this season in leaps and bounds WHILE United, Chelsea and Arsenal actually didn't improve on last season's perfomance. Also they broke so many of their club records taking maximum points off Utd and Chelsea (home and away), had the least losses (2), scored the highest number of goals in the league with Gerrard and Torres playing together just 13 times while inflicting Utd's greatest EPL defeat at Old Trafford! I call that progress.

A win against Wigan and Stoke instead of draws would have seen them lift the trophy. NOW THAT"S PROGRESS. cool

PS- The average age of the Liverpool's first team is lower than that at Utd(And this includes managerial staff ages). So there's time, don't you think?

tocdee. tocdee. tocdee. how many times did i call you. i don't blame sauron, i blame you for arguing with him. can't you see that his best players are utd. can't you see his best headers are utd. can't you see that his best penalty takers are utd. can't you see that everything is utd. can't you see that he's red. can't you see that you can never argue with manure fan. can't you see that since yesterday he has been on this topic. can't you see that he has challenged everybody on this thread. can't you see that he knows everything and everybody else is a fool. can't you see that fergie has a twin. na wa for you oh. abeg someone should put up a poll and then the winner will be accepted. pls tocdee, look for another topic. i'll send you a recharge card but just leave this thread.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 7:15pm On Jun 03, 2009
toxicguy:

tocdee. tocdee. tocdee. how many times did i call you. i don't blame sauron, i blame you for arguing with him. can't you see that his best players are utd. can't you see his best headers are utd. can't you see that his best penalty takers are utd. can't you see that everything is utd. can't you see that he's red. can't you see that you can never argue with manure fan. can't you see that since yesterday he has been on this topic. can't you see that he has challenged everybody on this thread. can't you see that he knows everything and everybody else is a fool. can't you see that fergie has a twin. na wa for you oh. abeg someone should put up a poll and then the winner will be accepted. pls tocdee, look for another topic. i'll send you a recharge card but just leave this thread.

I never knew David Villa and Samuel Eto'o play for Man Utd. grin grin grin grin
Go and do your homework and stop using new monikers to make tasteless points.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by DrKitaun(m): 7:27pm On Jun 03, 2009
no wonder Dayokanu always has a field day, taunting some EPL-blinded armchair analysts ?

who is Torres ?

the same TORRES that found it hard to score 20 goals in Lal Liga before coming to the EPL ?

the same Torres in the form of his life that was outscored by a midfielder and yet u call him Best striker in the world ?

excuse me ! embarassed

how many competitions has he ever emerged highest goaledor in ?

at least lets use that to gauge him against the very best !
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 10:35pm On Jun 03, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

the same TORRES that found it hard to score 20 goals in Lal Liga before coming to the EPL ?
Torres just turned 25. He couldn't carry Atletico on his shoulders at that age,  they are not a star studded team like Man U or Barca where a young talent can shine because he is surrounded by the best players in the world.

Dr Kitaun:

the same Torres in the form of his life that was outscored by a midfielder and yet u call him Best striker in the world ?
Tell me one striker that didn't get outscored by this midfielder.

Dr Kitaun:

how many competitions has he ever emerged highest goaledor in ?
Torres does not take penalties or freekicks,  tell me anybody that has been highest goal scorer without taking any of those.

Funny how people use only numbers to analyze football. . . u'd think this was baseball or some sh!t
Re: The Best Striker In The World by RuuDie(m): 11:05am On Jun 04, 2009
@ toxicguy,

Liverpool improved this season and UTD didn't ----- how so

@ topic,

Torres might, doubtably be the better ball player but when we speak in terms of the primary role of a striker - which happens to be sticking the ball in the back of the opposition's net legitimately as many times as possible in a game - I don't think he or even villa can hold a candle up to Eto'o!
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:32am On Jun 04, 2009
RuuDie:

Torres might, doubtably be the better ball player but when we speak in terms of the primary role of a striker - which happens to be sticking the ball in the back of the opposition's net legitimately as many times as possible in a game - I don't think he or even villa can hold a candle up to Eto'o!

I totally agree with you on that. I argue with my friends a lot that Inzaghi is one of the most thorough-bred strikers ever but they dismiss him because he is a terrible all-round footballer. Who cares? A striker is supposed to find the back of the net, and the only time you ever hear Inzaghi's name in a game is when he's off side or when he has scored. The guy just knows how to score, and lets face it that is what a striker is meant to do. Trezeguet at Juve, especially when Capello was coaching them, is another such striker.

But I think Eto'o misses a lot of easy chances that I know Villa will bury. But that is all subjective so until he does so i guess Eto'o still holds the spot.

Torres for me though.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 1:48pm On Jun 04, 2009
Torres just turned 25. He couldn't carry Atletico on his shoulders at that age, they are not a star studded team like Man U or Barca where a young talent can shine because he is surrounded by the best players in the world.

How old was Fab4 when he carried Arsenal on his shoulder or how old was CR7 when he did same.

EPL made Torres he wasnt up to it before coming to Liverpool and he confessed that the foolishness of EPL defenders and keepers make him look special
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 4:43pm On Jun 04, 2009
toxicguy:

. pls tocdee, look for another topic. i'll send you a recharge card but just leave this thread.

grin grin Where's my recharge card??

dayokanu:

How old was Fab4 when he carried Arsenal on his shoulder or how old was CR7 when he did same.

EPL made Torres he wasnt up to it before coming to Liverpool and he confessed that the foolishness of EPL defenders and keepers make him look special

Rubbish! Torres was captain of an average Athletico at 17 and fans demanded so much from him. Saying Fabregas carries Arsenal along is very insulting to the club. CR7 only came into the spotlight amidst many stars at Utd so there was little pressure on the bloke. Correct me but his first 2 seasons in the EPL didn't yield up to 10 goals smiley.

Why are we arguing this? Torres was the only striker to make it into FIFA's top 5 this year. tongue
Re: The Best Striker In The World by kpoxyresin: 5:24pm On Jun 04, 2009
well, sentiments aside the best striker in the world is FERNANDO TORRES.
ALL WHAT U HAVE TO DO IS TO DROP THE BALL AT HIS FEET AND HE WILLL DO THE REST.

http://socceralive..com

Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 5:31pm On Jun 04, 2009
dayokanu:

Fabregas never carried Arsenal on his own. Adebayor had a spectacular season, and so did Flamini. Sagna, Kolo, Gallas, Glichy, Eboue all put in lots of work. It was a team effort and while he did stand out it was by no means a solo effort.

Cristiano Ronaldo had one hell of a season. I mean he scored more than every striker. . . sh!t like that happens once in a life time and that is why it is such a big deal. . to suggest that because someone else has not done something that extra-ordinary, regardless of what team he plays for, makes him unworthy is unfair IMO.

Now, look at it this way. . . . Atletico Madrid is by no means a BIG club. As at 2002 they were in the 2nd division after being relegated in I think 1999. They don't have big stars. Fernando Torres is home grown talent and joined them in 2002 when they regained promotion into the primera. They were a mid-table club and just started competing for UEFA cup spots about 3 or 4 seasons ago. Fernando Torres was a little kid and their best player, he did well. Very well. Everyone knew if he moved to a big team he would be great, but he was the signature player of Atletico and they were never going to sell him. He has joined Liverpool and is now living up to the hype because he is in a team that has the potential for greatness, resources-wise.

As far as the foolishness of EPL defenders goes, I think I can make a case with Kanoute. . . he wasn't shit in the EPL and came to set La Liga on fire. Forlan Too.

Torres is an excellent player. I just think it's fair to give credit where it is due.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by toxicguy: 6:32pm On Jun 04, 2009
tocdee:

grin grin Where's my recharge card??

Rubbish! Torres was captain of an average Athletico at 17 and fans demanded so much from him. Saying Fabregas carries Arsenal along is very insulting to the club. CR7 only came into the spotlight amidst many stars at Utd so there was little pressure on the bloke. Correct me but his first 2 seasons in the EPL didn't yield up to 10 goals smiley.

Why are we arguing this? Torres was the only striker to make it into FIFA's top 5 this year. tongue

whats ur number so i can know what network to sms you
Re: The Best Striker In The World by tocdee(m): 6:55pm On Jun 04, 2009
toxicguy:

whats ur number so i can know what network to sms you

Its a bit dangerous putting it up here grin ; my goodness! My number could fall into Sauron's hands!!! wink

On the other hand, your name's 'toxicguy'; if it was 'toxicbabe', maybe . . .
Re: The Best Striker In The World by toxicguy: 7:35pm On Jun 04, 2009
tocdee:

Its a bit dangerous putting it up here grin ; my goodness! My number could fall into Sauron's hands!!! wink

On the other hand, your name's 'toxicguy'; if it was 'toxicbabe', maybe . . .
we don't want it falling into the wrong hands. this is my e-mail. mike8ty@yahoo.com you can send it to me via email and i'll call u back.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 7:17am On Jun 05, 2009
Torres said it himself that EPL defenders and keepers are genetically stupid
Re: The Best Striker In The World by DrKitaun(m): 4:34pm On Jun 13, 2009
Krayola:

Torres just turned 25. He couldn't carry Atletico on his shoulders at that age, they are not a star studded team like Man U or Barca where a young talent can shine because he is surrounded by the best players in the world.
Tell me one striker that didn't get outscored by this midfielder.
Torres does not take penalties or freekicks, tell me anybody that has been highest goal scorer without taking any of those.

Funny how people use only numbers to analyze football. . . u'd think this was baseball or some sh!t

u have ended up disputing ur own claims . . .

he doesnt take the best of free-kicks, nor penalties . . .

he cant single-handedly carry a team on his shoulders . . .

he couldnt score 20 in La Liga . . . at least ETOO did playing for Mallorca tongue

he was outscored by Torres and out-assisted by Adebayor in same season . . .

season after ,aint even in top 3 goaledors. .

even Gerrard outperfroms him despite relying heavily on him for assists . . .

Villa out-performs him playing for Spain . . .
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 4:44pm On Jun 13, 2009
Dr Kitaun:

u have ended up disputing ur own claims . . .
How?

Dr Kitaun:

he doesnt take the best of free-kicks, nor penalties . . .

I've seen him take penalties. . he's pretty good. I don't think I have ever seen him take a free kick. I doubt that you have.

Dr Kitaun:

he cant single-handedly carry a team on his shoulders . . .

"carry  team on his shoulders" ? What exactly does that mean.

And in case you meant Atletico Madrid . . I already explained that they were a team that just came back up from relegation, and he helped bring them into UEFA cup spots, as a teenager. If that isn't good enough for you I doubt anything will be.

Dr Kitaun:

he couldnt score 20 in La Liga . . . at least ETOO did playing for Mallorca  tongue

Thierry henry had scored 11 goals in his best ever season before going to Arsenal. .  He scored 26 goals in his 1st season at Arsenal, and went on to be one of the greatest strikers in the EPLs history.

Dr Kitaun:

season after ,aint even in top 3 goaledors. .

In context, 14 goals and 3 assists in 20 starts. Pretty good stats to the unbiased mind IMO. 

Dr Kitaun:

he was outscored by Torres and out-assisted by Adebayor in same season . . .

I think you mean Cronaldo. . .

CR7 had a spectacular season. .

And my assessment of Torres isn't based only on stats. .  it is ALSO based on watching him play. .

Dr Kitaun:

even Gerrard outperfroms him despite relying heavily on him for assists . . .

Football is  team sport. .  if anybody "relies" on anybody it is because the team is structured that way. Your argument is ridiculous. .

what do u mean "outperforms" . . . Hasn't Gerrard always been a performer? Gerrard being an excellent player has nothing to do with Torres' skills as a striker.

Dr Kitaun:

Villa out-performs him playing for Spain . . .

He plays a supporting role for spain. .  Villa is supposed to score more goals than him. If you watch the games u'll see that Torres does most of the hard work (target man, drawing defence away, making all kinds of runs, etc) , and Villa (gets in scoring position) does the finishing.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by bgees(m): 5:34pm On Jun 13, 2009
I think Fernando Torres is the best striker in the world right now. few can dispute that fact maybe because he is not in ARSENAL or MAN UTD shirt.

but what no one should argue is that - Fernando Torres is the world's finest striker. 'finest ' meaning the beauty of the goals he scores every time.

in just two years at Liverpool the guy already has 50 goals! isn't that a record?

now, I am a Liverpool fan and we are not really an attacking team philosophically but how come he scored a huge amount of goals at a team like Liverpool?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by bgees(m): 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2009
And i also think David Villa benefits more from Villa/Torres partnership in the Spanish national team.
Torres is a kind of player that can keep the ball thus bringing his strike mate into the team.

Torres hardly takes a penalty or a free kick unlike Villa and Eto. he scores all his goals the natural striker's way.

Thierry Henry (in his prime) was the best striker in recent times and only Torres has come close .
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 7:01pm On Jun 13, 2009
Kroyola,

You said Fabregas has assistance in Arsenal, was Torres playing alone in Atletico?

A team that had German Burgos, Albertini, Luis Garcia, Maxi Rodriguez, Martin petrov, Kezman at various times beside Torres even Ibagaza was there at that time.

If you claimed Fabregas had support in Arsenal but Torres was doing it alone in Atletico
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 8:07pm On Jun 13, 2009
dayokanu:

If you claimed Fabregas had support in Arsenal but Torres was doing it alone in Atletico

I never claimed he did it alone. I said he helped, and was their best player.  wink

Krayola:

And in case you meant Atletico Madrid . . I already explained that they were a team that just came back up from relegation, and he helped bring them into UEFA cup spots, as a teenager.

Krayola:

Now, look at it this way. . . . Atletico Madrid is by no means a BIG club. As at 2002 they were in the 2nd division after being relegated in I think 1999. They don't have big stars. Fernando Torres is home grown talent and joined them in 2002 when they regained promotion into the primera. They were a mid-table club and just started competing for UEFA cup spots about 3 or 4 seasons ago. Fernando Torres was a little kid and their best player, he did well. Very well. Everyone knew if he moved to a big team he would be great, but he was the signature player of Atletico and they were never going to sell him.

Re: The Best Striker In The World by gunners4u: 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2009
Davidvilla
Re: The Best Striker In The World by DrKitaun(m): 8:26pm On Jun 13, 2009
@Krayola

I like the way u choose ur words . . .

ur assessment of hi surely doesnt say he is better than Henry or ETOO . . .yes or no ? tongue

and from what i see from the way u write u dont see him as a complete striker or do u ?

no free-kicks taking ?

never been highest goalscorer anywhere ? ATHLETICO, LIVERPOOL, SPAIN ?

excuse me ! angry
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 10:12pm On Jun 13, 2009
Torres was Atleticos best player just like Fabregas was Arsenals best player,So whats the difference
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 10:27pm On Jun 13, 2009
dayokanu:

Torres was Atleticos best player just like Fabregas was Arsenals best player,So whats the difference

you said this . . .

dayokanu:

How old was Fab4 when he carried Arsenal on his shoulder

Being the best player on a team is different from "carrying" a team "on your shoulders" which is what you said Fabregas did. There were other Arsenal players that had great seasons. .  e.g Adebayor scored 29 goals . . So, in my opinion, Fabregas did not "carry Arsenal on his shoulders".
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 10:31pm On Jun 13, 2009
In my own opinion,

Villa >>>>>>>>Torres
Etoo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Torres.

Villa >>Eto'o>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Torres.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 11:24pm On Jun 13, 2009
If you claimed Torres carried Atletico then we can also say Fabregas carried Arsenal.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Krayola(m): 11:31pm On Jun 13, 2009
dayokanu:

If you claimed Torres carried Atletico then we can also say Fabregas carried Arsenal.

Yes, IF i did. . .but I did not.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by romeo(m): 12:13am On Jun 14, 2009
Who the phuck is comparing Samu and Villa? Samu is leagues ahead of Villa as a top 9, Villa is regarded in Spain as a top National (home grown) striker but not even as the best in la liga.

Samu do not only score goals but also mount tremendous pressure on opponents defence and you can not beat him on that.

Sauron don't even talk about La Liga because you sound so ignorant doing it. Valencia is a shitty club ehh? and you watched 90% of their league games this season! you love shitty clubs?

Limit yourself to Epl please. We migrated with Eto'o from Bermellon to Ciudad condal.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by Sauron1: 12:29am On Jun 14, 2009
romeo:

Who the phuck is comparing Samu and Villa? Samu is leagues ahead of Villa as a top 9, Villa is regarded in Spain as a top National (home grown) striker but not even as the best in la liga.

Samu do not only score goals but also mount tremendous pressure on opponents defence and you can not beat him on that.

Sauron don't even talk about La Liga because you sound so ignorant doing it. Valencia is a shitty club ehh? and you watched 90% of their league games this season! you love shitty clubs?

Limit yourself to Epl please. We migrated with Eto'o from Bermellon to Ciudad condal.

U can go lick cyanide after sounding off like sexually frustrated Silverback.
David Villa is better than Samuel Eto'o in everything.
Eto'o plays around world class players. . . .Xavi/Iniesta/Messi/Henry etc. Villa is surrounded by fewer world class players.
I watch La Liga more than the EPL so shove a cork up your ass.
Re: The Best Striker In The World by A40(m): 1:06am On Jun 14, 2009
Eto'o has delivered when called upon time and time again he is the best striker in Europe
Re: The Best Striker In The World by dayokanu(m): 5:03am On Jun 14, 2009
Was Etoo surrounded by World class players in Mallorca too?
Re: The Best Striker In The World by bgees(m): 12:46pm On Jun 14, 2009
A40,
eto has had bad games like any other striker out there. The last one i can remember was at Stamford Bridge. Eto was completely lost in that match.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Glo-CAF Award To Hold In Lagos On January 8 / Iheanacho, Lookman Among Leicester Players Who Tested Positive For COVID-19 / Tricks On How To Win Football Betting In Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.