Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (312486 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 12:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
Juliana7:
@lordhugo, happy new year, we ve not heard from dis year. I hope all is well. We are earnestly waiting for d continuation/concluding part of ur lecture, we stopped at M, u promised to continue from N. Thanks. Ve a refreshing, blissful and prosperous 2016.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!!!

I am currently neck deep in projects (I WANT MORE THOUGH grin) ......

Definitely gonna complete the work on here.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 23, 2016
@lordhugo I want to start small like with NGN 20,000 I have two tyres and a small part of my house with sand close to the fence. What do I do to get the pen up?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by miqos02(m): 10:03am On Jan 23, 2016
tfx2012:
@lordhugo I want to start small like with NGN 20,000 I have two tyres and a small part of my house with sand close to the fence. What do I do to get the pen up?
u need need at least like 20tyres, u place two on each other to have 10 'pens'
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 23, 2016
miqos02:
u need need at least like 20tyres, u place two on each other to have 10 'pens'

Can we chat via WhatsApp? What other cost effective shift pen can I use? I. Trying to consider my environment
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by ademobi: 11:03am On Jan 25, 2016
Hi Bros,
Please I want to start ASAP. I have constructed about 3 boxes (5ft by 2ft). The dept is about 2ft. One for Layer,and the second for Nursery and last one for hatching. Please kindly advise me, How many can i start with and how much will it cost ?
Thanks snd Best Regards.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by ademobi: 11:07am On Jan 25, 2016
Although, I wish to start with about 100 adult Snails but I don't know if that is okay with the box type of housing?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:38pm On Feb 04, 2016
ademobi:
Hi Bros,
Please I want to start ASAP. I have constructed about 3 boxes (5ft by 2ft). The dept is about 2ft. One for Layer,and the second for Nursery and last one for hatching. Please kindly advise me, How many can i start with and how much will it cost ?
Thanks snd Best Regards.

Sorry For the late reply.

I believe you contacted me on WhatsApp and we have ironed this out.

You can't start with 100 breeders if you don't have an immediate expansion plan..

Density matters!

20 is an ok number.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:46pm On Feb 04, 2016
tfx2012:

Sorry for the late reply....

Tires are not a sustainable way of raising snails.. Ultimately, they Will get crowded.

Also, snails are definitely gonna try eating/scraping the vulcanised rubber.

I am not done adequate research but i try to think of toxins building up in the snails and being passed to man on consumption.

I hope i ain't discouraging you?

2 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by dagok(f): 6:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
Thanks OP... Please my question is that can I raise Snail in a House... I mean a room in the house and put the necessary things there and also do the wetting everyday...... And also feed them........ Because I don't have any space but I have empty House... Can I raise the Snail there.... Thanks
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
lordhugo:

Sorry for the late reply....

Tires are not a sustainable way of raising snails.. Ultimately, they Will get crowded.

Also, snails are definitely gonna try eating/scraping the vulcanised rubber.

I am not done adequate research but i try to think of toxins building up in the snails and being passed to man on consumption.

I hope i ain't discouraging you?

No you are not its actually good you gave an insightful advice I appreciate it. What's the possibility of rearing them in house like using a gate man security house?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
dagok:
Thanks OP... Please my question is that can I raise Snail in a House... I mean a room in the house and put the necessary things there and also do the wetting everyday...... And also feed them........ Because I don't have any space but I have empty House... Can I raise the Snail there.... Thanks

Same question I just asked.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 5:59pm On Feb 06, 2016
tfx2012:

No you are not its actually good you gave an insightful advice I appreciate it. What's the possibility of rearing them in house like using a gate man security house?

Snails do good in environments which provide cover, moisture and food.

They will however do great in one that closely mimic their natural habitat.

Using an existing "uncompleted building is feasible" BUT the resources used in converting it into an escape proof/suitable growing area is better used in making a custom pen.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by restored2016(m): 12:28am On Feb 07, 2016
Hmmm! Liberal information! You can't be in nairaland esp. The Agriculture sector and still end up poor after 9months. @ Lordhugo thanks so much, I have learnt so much... Can you come and supervise my farm when I start snail rearing.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 12:12am On Feb 23, 2016
restored2016:
Hmmm! Liberal information! You can't be in nairaland esp. The Agriculture sector and still end up poor after 9months. @ Lordhugo thanks so much, I have learnt so much... Can you come and supervise my farm when I start snail rearing.

I will send a member of staff or if your location is close to me at the time, I will come personally.

Buzz me....

Pic below is a current project..

12 plots (2 acres) of free range snails..

I am the first to attempt mechanized snail farming in Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by ciouxox(m): 3:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
Please add me to the what's app group 08110115280
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by midastouch: 9:22am On Mar 02, 2016
lordhugo:

I will send a member of staff or if your location is close to me at the time, I will come personally.

Buzz me....

Pic below is a current project..

12 plots (2 acres) of free range snails..

I am the first to attempt mechanized snail farming in Nigeria.

Have you heard of Obasanjo Farms?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 8:51pm On Mar 02, 2016
midastouch:

Have you heard of Obasanjo Farms?

Chill bros.

...merely pointing out the usage of "mechanization" in preparing free range snail beds.

Mechanization is not always proportional to scale.

Can we leave the Ebora Owu out?

He doesn't do free range.. Fact!

If I had his resources, I would raise snails on the moon.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 8:53pm On Mar 02, 2016
Perimeter fencing for 12 plots

1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 8:53pm On Mar 02, 2016
Making sure there is no space (no matter how small) to allow for the invasion of the snail growing area by pests, rodents and small reptiles.

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 8:54pm On Mar 02, 2016
ciouxox:
Please add me to the what's app group 08110115280

Hello sir,

I am sorry we do not have a WhatsApp group.

Do you have any questions?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by andy24(m): 3:59pm On Mar 04, 2016
Thanks for sharing this knowledge.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
andy24:
Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

You are welcome Andrew
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by midastouch: 10:28am On Mar 09, 2016
lordhugo:

Chill bros.

...merely pointing out the usage of "mechanization" in preparing free range snail beds.

Mechanization is not always proportional to scale.

Can we leave the Ebora Owu out?

He doesn't do free range.. Fact!

If I had his resources, I would raise snails on the moon.

smiley
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by sesanrota(m): 10:08am On Mar 11, 2016
@OP, Thanks for the info given thus far, Any update since the last info you share?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Baroba(m): 2:27pm On Mar 11, 2016
It will take divine miracle for ants not to penetrate this enclosure.. More power to you, you have to be brave to try this..
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cleavon(m): 8:13am On Mar 15, 2016
lordhugo:
[size=14pt]Housing [/size]determines if your snails will lead a happy life. There are different kinds of snaileries that can be built. In this regards, some factors have to be taken into consideration. First of all, the snails stage of development and snails habit. This means sorting of snails by age into newly hatched, young and mature. The secret to note here is that younger snails will require more comfortable housing which should be well sealed to prevent loss.

The most important matter is that snaileries must be escape proof and also be effective against predators.

Pens can be made of wood ( decay resistant types) as in the case of hutch boxes or pens laid on bare ground. You can also construct concrete pens embedded in the soil (exactly the way a foundation is built for a normal house building). These are semi- intensive methods nevertheless they can be replicated on a huge commercial scale where high initial capital is available. With proper stocking density, these methods are proven to give an edge.

Extensive methods include mini paddock systems and free range pens which can greatly reduce cost of feeding. In the practice of spilling secrets, you can combine a modern plantain farm or vegetable garden and an extensive snailery into a double edged sword for killing poverty.
Last secret on housing is the use of small mesh nets to prevent the access of flies into your snail pens. There is a particular fly that can waste your snail investments if left unchecked. It lays eggs in the snails and when they hatch, they eat up your snails from the inside. Be prepared for snails with fly larvae.

questions will be entertained...........

cc. miqos02
JOELONYEMA
JohnNgene
Yomyjoe
Buddhar

Please is it advisable to dig your ground and cover it without using blocks to build the wall?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by cleavon(m): 9:04am On Mar 15, 2016
Thanks boss..I have really learnt a lot..please what is the best way to sterilize your soil before using it in your snail pen?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by occie3: 1:18am On Mar 16, 2016
Great work!

What's the cost of your breeders Achatina achatina?
From experience what is the best breed to begin with?
And what breed is preferred in the market? THANKS
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by kunlesufyan(m): 3:00am On Mar 16, 2016
This is exactly the thread I need, started heliculture a while back but stopped cos I was posted to a different place for nysc, in that time I learnt a lot practically about the trade and it's something I would still love to venture in on a large scale ( free range farming ) ..The fact that it's a Virgin venture gives it an edge and the slow nature of their growth requires lots of people to venture into it...
So far iv done research and I get to write down some questions I don't get answers to..For example I think there should some kind of chemical that can be sprayed around a snail pen who also won't be harmful to snails , if there isn't fine .But for a free range farm is there any plant to could be added to to plants to would serve as repellent to insects and also...For someone who wants to run a snail farm in a hot region, say gwagwalada in abuja ...how can someone ensure there is an all round cool temperature during hot seasons ...I'm really happy about this thread op ...

3 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by fine8160: 11:10pm On Mar 16, 2016
Evening, I am interested pls, petj25@ymail.com
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by fine8160: 11:15pm On Mar 16, 2016
I am interested pls, petj25@ymail.com. I base in ph, how do I meet u
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Neduzze5(m): 5:27am On Mar 18, 2016
kunlesufyan:
This is exactly the thread I need, started heliculture a while back but stopped cos I was posted to a different place for nysc, in that time I learnt a lot practically about the trade and it's something I would still love to venture in on a large scale ( free range farming ) ..The fact that it's a Virgin venture gives it an edge and the slow nature of their growth requires lots of people to venture into it...
So far iv done research and I get to write down some questions I don't get answers to..For example I think there should some kind of chemical that can be sprayed around a snail pen who also won't be harmful to snails , if there isn't fine .But for a free range farm is there any plant to could be added to to plants to would serve as repellent to insects and also...For someone who wants to run a snail farm in a hot region, say gwagwalada in abuja ...how can someone ensure there is an all round cool temperature during hot seasons ...I'm really happy about this thread op ...

You are just coming. Welcome.

I've read about some plants that serve as a deterrent to insects, e.g Tobacco plant and many others that are not easily gotten in the Nigerian environment. Also, talking about your region, you will need an automatic water spray supply that would feed water round the pen by the means of spraying at certain intervals. These have all been achieved and can be integrated into your farm to reduce the heat.

Thirdly, a shade by means of palm fronds could be place over the snail farm to reduce the direct impact of sunlight on the pen. That's all I got.

Be successful!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.