Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (312448 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / The A to Z Of Oil Palm Farming (Costs And Returns Analysis) / A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:42am On Mar 26, 2016
Baroba:
It will take divine miracle for ants not to penetrate this enclosure.. More power to you, you have to be brave to try this..

Divine miracle is any pesticide that doesn't kill snails and slugs.

Easy.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:53am On Mar 26, 2016
cleavon:

Please is it advisable to dig your ground and cover it without using blocks to build the wall?

Better done in an upland region or you risk your snails drowning during any flooding..

PLEASE, I WANT TO USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL EVERYONE READING THIS THREAD.

SNAIL FARMING IS THE MOST CUSTOMIZABLE FORM OF FARMING I HAVE DONE...YOU CAN RAISE SNAILS ANYWHERE.... (UNDER YOUR BED, BEHIND YOUR HOUSE OR ON 20ACRES OF VIRGIN FOREST.
BUT A LOT CAN GO WRONG.

SNAILS ARE SENSITIVE CREATURES AND REQUIRE A PRETTY SLIM CLIMATIC CONDITION TO MAINTAIN OPTIMAL GROWTH AND PRODUCTIVITY.

WHAT AM I TRYING TO SAY?

EACH SNAIL FARM SETUP IS UNIQUE IN HOUSING TYPE AND LAYOUT.

LET US KNOW AND SEE WHAT YOU HAVE TO GIVE BETTER ADVICE.

THIS APPLIES TO BOTH NEW AND OLD TIMERS.

ONE LOVE MY PEOPLE

3 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:56am On Mar 26, 2016
cleavon:
Thanks boss..I have really learnt a lot..please what is the best way to sterilize your soil before using it in your snail pen?

Pour soil substrates into sacks, tie and place in drums of boiling hot water....

Just the way you might warm up a lump of eba wrapped in polythene in a pot of boiling water.

Crazy analogy

5 Likes

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 11:00am On Mar 26, 2016
occie3:
Great work!

What's the cost of your breeders Achatina achatina?
From experience what is the best breed to begin with?
And what breed is preferred in the market? THANKS

Healthy achatina breeders are priced around 250-400 depending on the season.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 6:56pm On Mar 26, 2016
babstunegabriel:
Now available  A-Z on how to start a poultry farm. 
This book contains all you need to know about poultry farming. 
- Best Marketing  Strategy 
- Medication
- Routine Management
- Feed and Type 
- Housing Method 
- Vaccination and more
- Free Consultantion on our live service
- Feed Formulation Tips.. 
To get this E-Book Call / whatsapp  0708736758 

Please show us proof of your words.
It will help people trust you better.

And please "poultry on a snail thread is tantamount to derailing"

I am not saying you are a scam but I won't trust a consultant who can't spell "consultation".

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by bilaal29: 12:56pm On Mar 27, 2016
Lugohugo
Please where can I get A.A snail breeders in Osun State.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by thymm50(m): 10:43am On Apr 01, 2016
pls I need Achatina achatina, anyone that can supply pls contact

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 9:32am On Apr 05, 2016
thymm50:
pls I need Achatina achatina, anyone that can supply pls contact me @ thymm50@gmail.com. thanks

bilaal29:
Lugohugo
Please where can I get A.A snail breeders in Osun State.

How many pieces?

Minimum order Quantity- 500Pcs

Lead time- 2 weeks

Healthy , mature breeders sourced from a nearby African country

Call 08030964896 for current prices
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by etiumo: 12:59pm On Apr 13, 2016
well done mr Ugo. The main effort required in ur free range system is keeping away predators eg ants from invading the farm from the outside
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 10:15am On Apr 14, 2016
etiumo:
well done mr Ugo. The main effort required in ur free range system is keeping away predators eg ants from invading the farm from the outside

Yes.

However, we have measures in place.

Basil, marigolds are example of pest repellant crops we plant.

You can reach me to get seeds also. All kinds.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Breed(m): 6:37am On Apr 19, 2016
Pls which species of snails are these?

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by midastouch: 3:37pm On Apr 19, 2016
lordhugo:

Yes.

[size=14pt]Herbs Ants Hate[/size]

There are a number of herbs that naturally repel ants. By planting these herbs in your garden, you can cut down the presence of ants. Plant them around the areas you specifically want to protect, or near doors and windows to keep them from entering your home. Anything pungent, such as basil or sage, will help repel ants when planted around your garden. Those below work especially well.

Mint – Ants hate mint, especially peppermint. This makes it a great deterrent. The only complication is that mint is an insidious grower that will take over any ground it is placed in. So chose locations for mint carefully and monitor its growth if you don't want it in your entire garden.

Tansy – Growing tansy will work much the same way growing mint does to deter ants. It also produces lovely yellow flowers on tall stems that can be a good compliment to your flower garden. Unfortunately, it grows and spreads to fill an area almost as fast as mint.

Pennyroyal - Pennyroyal is used in repellents for a number of different types of insects, including ants. As a relative of mint it does tend to invade the entire garden if not kept in close check. However, the sweet scent and soft lavender flowers in season may make growing pennyroyal worth the extra work to restrain it.

Ants Hate Marigolds

There are a few flowers that are known to deter ants from their area. One of the best known is the marigold. Plant a few of these around the borders of your garden or near plants you want really well protected. Marigolds have the advantage of minimal expansion. However, they are annuals who have to be replaced yearly.

Coffee Grounds Deter Ants

If you're a coffee drinker, don't throw out your used grounds. Coffee grounds have two uses when added to your garden soil. Nutrients in your coffee grounds will feed your plants, and the caffeine will repel ants. Sprinkle a ring of grounds around a tree or plant you specifically want to protect. Or, till some coffee grounds into the soil around the boarder of your garden.

Citrus Peels

Another item to add to the soil around your plants is citrus peels. Grind peels from any citrus fruit up to release the oils that repel ants and make it easy to distribute evenly. Add it to the soil in a circle around a specific tree or plant much like with coffee grounds. For even better success, try combining citrus peels with coffee grounds.

Ants Love Cornmeal

That might sound like a poor reason to sprinkle cornmeal around, but in fact it's an excellent one. Ants love the sweet taste of cornmeal, but cannot digest it. If you want to starve them out rather than just deter them, sprinkle cornmeal around your garden, or near the entrance to any ant colony you can find. Ant activity will spike for a few days, but should decrease after that. Add more cornmeal after it rains and whenever you see more ants.

culled from: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-deter-ants-from-the-garden#b

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by guchilady: 5:25pm On Apr 20, 2016
Weldone@op,,uve been very helpful,GOD is ur strenght.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Ayus34(m): 10:15pm On Apr 20, 2016
lordhugo:

Hello Buddhar, thank you for your question.
You can send me a PM. I would definitely reply.

Also, you can post your questions directly here so that others may learn from my little answer.

Regards.
Please I need to help use ur practical knowledge to assist millions of nigeria youths thru our platform....will appreciate working with u,to build the capacity of our people,most especially the youtghs in diversifying the nations economy....thanks!
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
Breed:
Pls which species of snails are these?

Bottom 2 are definitely A.M.
Top two looks A.A (subject to verification)

1 Like

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 5:25pm On Apr 21, 2016
midastouch:

[size=14pt]Herbs Ants Hate[/size]

There are a number of herbs that naturally repel ants. By planting these herbs in your garden, you can cut down the presence of ants. Plant them around the areas you specifically want to protect, or near doors and windows to keep them from entering your home. Anything pungent, such as basil or sage, will help repel ants when planted around your garden. Those below work especially well.

Mint – Ants hate mint, especially peppermint. This makes it a great deterrent. The only complication is that mint is an insidious grower that will take over any ground it is placed in. So chose locations for mint carefully and monitor its growth if you don't want it in your entire garden.

Tansy – Growing tansy will work much the same way growing mint does to deter ants. It also produces lovely yellow flowers on tall stems that can be a good compliment to your flower garden. Unfortunately, it grows and spreads to fill an area almost as fast as mint.

Pennyroyal - Pennyroyal is used in repellents for a number of different types of insects, including ants. As a relative of mint it does tend to invade the entire garden if not kept in close check. However, the sweet scent and soft lavender flowers in season may make growing pennyroyal worth the extra work to restrain it.

Ants Hate Marigolds

There are a few flowers that are known to deter ants from their area. One of the best known is the marigold. Plant a few of these around the borders of your garden or near plants you want really well protected. Marigolds have the advantage of minimal expansion. However, they are annuals who have to be replaced yearly.

Coffee Grounds Deter Ants

If you're a coffee drinker, don't throw out your used grounds. Coffee grounds have two uses when added to your garden soil. Nutrients in your coffee grounds will feed your plants, and the caffeine will repel ants. Sprinkle a ring of grounds around a tree or plant you specifically want to protect. Or, till some coffee grounds into the soil around the boarder of your garden.

Citrus Peels

Another item to add to the soil around your plants is citrus peels. Grind peels from any citrus fruit up to release the oils that repel ants and make it easy to distribute evenly. Add it to the soil in a circle around a specific tree or plant much like with coffee grounds. For even better success, try combining citrus peels with coffee grounds.

Ants Love Cornmeal

That might sound like a poor reason to sprinkle cornmeal around, but in fact it's an excellent one. Ants love the sweet taste of cornmeal, but cannot digest it. If you want to starve them out rather than just deter them, sprinkle cornmeal around your garden, or near the entrance to any ant colony you can find. Ant activity will spike for a few days, but should decrease after that. Add more cornmeal after it rains and whenever you see more ants.

culled from: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-deter-ants-from-the-garden#b

Thanks for posting just not the link but the article.

Thoughtful of you to further explain.

God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 5:26pm On Apr 21, 2016
Ayus34:

Please I need to help use ur practical knowledge to assist millions of nigeria youths thru our platform....will appreciate working with u,to build the capacity of our people,most especially the youtghs in diversifying the nations economy....thanks!

Is there a specific way I can help?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by iriowuro: 6:28pm On Apr 26, 2016
well done job our prof & d only mechanised snail farmer/consultant. been though the entire thread, patiently waiting for the concluding season (N-Z). still chilling start due yo finance, though currently running a prototype in a 50litre keg from the ones that strolled in after downpour.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Ayus34(m): 2:17pm On Apr 29, 2016
lordhugo:

Is there a specific way I can help?
We are setting up an agency that will involve more of nigerian youths,we already take snail as a project we will be embarking on soon,in terms of commercial practise,we will need ur expertise wen kickstarting it,though it wont be for free

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by restored2016(m): 10:13pm On May 08, 2016
lordhugo:

I will send a member of staff or if your location is close to me at the time, I will come personally.

Buzz me....

Pic below is a current project..

12 plots (2 acres) of free range snails..

I am the first to attempt mechanized snail farming in Nigeria.
wow! This is great! God's Grace.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by invinzible1: 11:21pm On May 08, 2016
restored2016:
wow! This is great! God's Grace.

If u are within lagos or Ogun I could come assist you
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by restored2016(m): 10:47pm On May 09, 2016
invinzible1:

If u are within lagos or Ogun I could come assist you
I am in Ph.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by karlxavier(m): 4:38pm On May 10, 2016
At op, you are really doing a good job. If someone has like say 300,000-600,000 to start up snail farming, which one would you advise one to go for? The A. A OR A. M? I NEED to know which one is preferable. Can you just give me a cost breakdown of both and profit. Thanks
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by karlxavier(m): 4:40pm On May 10, 2016
Another thing I want to as op is, how many eggs can achatina marginata lay in a space of one year? Please reply. If one starts with 500 breeder snails, how many table sized snails can one harvest in a year?
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by steephen: 8:58pm On May 13, 2016
@ op, thanks a lot for the good work u are doing here, may God bless u & add more grease to ur elbow. pls the qstion I want to ask is can I buy snails during the rainy season & store them in a confined area & sell them during dry season. thanks.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by perhaps101: 9:37am On May 17, 2016
Very good
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by Newway2(m): 10:54am On May 17, 2016
How can I get these seeds that can be used to deter ants or farm pests? How do u sell them?

lordhugo:

Yes.

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 1:05pm On May 18, 2016
Newway2:
How can I get these seeds that can be used to deter ants or farm pests? How do u sell them?

To buy all kinds of vegetable seeds especially suited for our tropical growing conditions, contact me on 08030964896.

Tomatoes, peppers (chili, habanero, sweet), cucumber, watermelon etc

Pest repellent and organic deter rents such as maeigold, basil, parsley and mint also available on request.
Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 11:56pm On May 18, 2016
karlxavier:
At op, you are really doing a good job. If someone has like say 300,000-600,000 to start up snail farming, which one would you advise one to go for? The A. A OR A. M? I NEED to know which one is preferable. Can you just give me a cost breakdown of both and profit. Thanks

Hello Karl,

The upside of snail business is that you can start with almost "any amount".

Asides land costs, 500k can raise the 500 breeders you suggested starting with to about 10,000 hatchlings through a full rainy season. Your management practices would determine how many will make it to maturity in 7-8 months or even how many eggs are laid to begin with.

Keep snails happy and you will smile to the bank.
Making them happy is the hard part.

You can give me a call. My number is on this thread somewhere. cheesy

Stay blessed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) by lordhugo(m): 12:02am On May 19, 2016
steephen:
@ op, thanks a lot for the good work u are doing here, may God bless u & add more grease to ur elbow. pls the qstion I want to ask is can I buy snails during the rainy season & store them in a confined area & sell them during dry season. thanks.

Absolutely!

Some warnings though.

Someone called with this exact same question and suggested he wanted them to aestivate while he stores them till the peak of the dry season "high demand period".

I told him yes... But PLEASE TO FEED THEM AND KEEP THEM IN A RECOMMENDED SNAIL REARING HOUSING SOLUTION.

Why confine the snails and risk some stock dying off?
When you can easily house and grow them into even bigger sizes.

I guess this answers your question?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

... / Xmas Broiler Broading In Pictures / Nairaland Farmers Contact Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.