Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,232 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General (34565 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians / Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 5:39pm On Apr 27, 2009
Lemme start here by saying I hate BLACK people! The fact that you guys continue to refer to yourselves with the evil name the Oyibo people gave you shows that nothing good can ever come from you. Can anything black be good? Can anything white be bad? Accepting their tag has already put you where they want. And everyday you wake up believing in your blackness (backwardness, evilness, negativity), nothing white can ever come from you.

You look at yourself in the mirror everyday and see your skin colour and you know it is not black yet you carry that tag on your head proudly. A heart that is black will not think good, a lie that is black will not produce good results and a sheep that is black will not do the family any good. How can a man that is black end up in anything good?

I love Hitler. The man made me understand the real European hatred for Africans. Hitler and most intelligent European racists hated Africans just because they researched and found out that the Africans were truly superior to them and if we competed on a level playfield, Africans will dominate them so they needed to go out of their way to malign and destroy us to ensure the survival of their future generations.

As for Lugard, I read his book in 2007. It was totally politically sponsored. The British government paid him to write the dual mandate the way he did. At a point when british citizens were beginning to question their government's right to colonise other human beings, they needed journals like the Dual Mandate to show their people that they were only trying to civilise and help a savage, misdirected race. Have you even seen pictures where British soldiers were painted with mud to look like Africans eating human flesh and sent back to English newspapers to publish? You BLACK people know nothing yet.

Have you even asked yourselves the real meaning and origin of the name British? Find out and you'll know who is a savage, a backward, or stupid race.

to hell with u and ur oyibo assumptions and what not!!!

toooooooooooooooooooooo hell !!!!
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by debosky(m): 5:41pm On Apr 27, 2009
dnex you are deluded.

For you to accept that black is 'bad' and white is 'good' means you have been completely colonised. sad

Black or whatever colour you choose to call yourself is insignificant. Change your mentality not a designation.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 5:41pm On Apr 27, 2009
ajanlekoko
Obviously supremacist bullshit. Belongs in the days of Lord Lugard to be true.

Let me reword this with the modern-day Caucasian in mind, and let's see how it goes:

"Through the ages, the white man appears to have discarded all forms of organised religious creed, and though some of them appear to believe in the vague existence of a God, the religious sense seldom rises above agnosticism, and seems more often to take the form of a fetid pre-occupation with the supernatural on a fantasy level, and may lean towards outright atheism or Hollywood sensantionalism in fact.

He lacks any moral ethics in business organisation, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of business and financial resources. He loves the display of weath, but fails to realize its responsibility - he does not work hard unlike most races, despite the incentives which his race has posited over the ages, but rather relies on his heritage to demand preferential treatment, possibly even unjustified deference, which is hard in coming these days, considering that the real economic and maybe even political power may be shifting to other regions, even races that he has maligned and despised energetically in the past.

He has the courage of the bully, and will not hesitate to pick on races with perceived military inferiority, but the consequences of these have been dire in recent times.

In brief, the virtues and defects of his race -type are those of derelict has-beens, whose only pre-disposition is to rue the 'good old days' and envy their forebears whose authority was never questioned. Perhaps, the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the white man are his lack of moral responsibility and apprehension about what the future truly holds for his race."

reminder!!!
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 5:52pm On Apr 27, 2009
hey "coloured people "

yes abeg u pardon?
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by RichyBlacK(m): 6:13pm On Apr 27, 2009
dnex:

Lemme start here by saying I hate BLACK people! The fact that you guys continue to refer to yourselves with the evil name the Oyibo people gave you shows that nothing good can ever come from you. Can anything black be good? Can anything white be bad? Accepting their tag has already put you where they want. And everyday you wake up believing in your blackness (backwardness, evilness, negativity), nothing white can ever come from you.

You look at yourself in the mirror everyday and see your skin colour and you know it is not black yet you carry that tag on your head proudly. A heart that is black will not think good, a lie that is black will not produce good results and a sheep that is black will not do the family any good. How can a man that is black end up in anything good?

I love Hitler. The man made me understand the real European hatred for Africans. Hitler and most intelligent European racists hated Africans just because they researched and found out that the Africans were truly superior to them and if we competed on a level playfield, Africans will dominate them so they needed to go out of their way to malign and destroy us to ensure the survival of their future generations.

As for Lugard, I read his book in 2007. It was totally politically sponsored. The British government paid him to write the dual mandate the way he did. At a point when british citizens were beginning to question their government's right to colonise other human beings, they needed journals like the Dual Mandate to show their people that they were only trying to civilise and help a savage, misdirected race. Have you even seen pictures where British soldiers were painted with mud to look like Africans eating human flesh and sent back to English newspapers to publish? You BLACK people know nothing yet.

Have you even asked yourselves the real meaning and origin of the name British? Find out and you'll know who is a savage, a backward, or stupid race.

Some questions for you:

1. Are we perfect?
2. Are there things about us we can improve on?
3. Who can point out our flaws or weaknesses?
4. If the White man points out the flaws of the Black man should we ignore those flaws just because a White man pointed them out?
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by RichyBlacK(m): 6:14pm On Apr 27, 2009
debosky:

dnex you are deluded.

For you to accept that black is 'bad' and white is 'good' means you have been completely colonised. sad

Black or whatever colour you choose to call yourself is insignificant. Change your mentality not a designation.

Very correct talk!

I wonder why he would conclude that "Black" is bad and "White" is good.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by rookie(m): 6:32pm On Apr 27, 2009
There are often more than one side to every argument. While in this case, it could be perceived that some savor any notions that suggest negativity about Nigeria, some are hasty to point fingers. How productive can such an argument be?

what does is it matter whether Luggard's testimonies about Nigeria were genuine or politically motivated. Luggard's opinion at best is non-scientific and should not be sort in finding either causes nor answers to our problems. The reality we face at the moment is unmistakeable and undeniable - we are pervaded by numerous issues that can be resolved only if we can collaboratively find solutions.

Now, looking forward, i would hope that we can dedicate our passion to debating solutions rather than dwelling on sentiments, either favorable or unfavorable.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by AjanleKoko: 8:47am On Apr 28, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Some questions for you:
1. Are we perfect?
2. Are there things about us we can improve on?
3. Who can point out our flaws or weaknesses?
4. If the White man points out the flaws of the Black man should we ignore those flaws just because a White man pointed them out?

You know the problem with this type of thinking, RichyBlack? It's negative stereotyping. Let me tell you some of the remarks average Yorubas make about Ibo people:

- Ibo people like money too much, in fact they are heavily into money rituals.
-Ibo people are troublemakers, which is why no self-respecting Lagos landlord would rent out an apartment to them
-Ibo people don't go to school, they rather sell pare parts or do some sort of funny biz.
-Ibo people don't have the competence to rule over Nigeria, look what they are doing to themselves in the east!
-A Yoruba man can never allow his daughter to marry an Ibo guy, cos they are corpse-water drinking savages, and the in laws will be all over the matrimonial home . . .

The list goes on like that. Imagine, if I was Yoruba (which I am anyways) and you're Ibo. I express these sentiments publicly to you, repeatedly, all the while telling you that I'm just trying to help you change. How would it go down well with you, especially if you were a well-educated, gainfully engaged, happily settled, and peaceful Ibo chap (I am close friends with many of such people), and I was a Yoruba uneducated area boy, a masquerade follower (I also know many of these fellows). Would you not think that I am deliberately trying to attack your self-esteem, and run you down, so that you would have a persistent sense of being inferior to me? As a Yoruba person, sometimes that is how I feel about the very many comments made about Ibo and and Hausa people by my fellow Yorubas.

For me, I'm an African resident in the heart of Africa, but has worked and been around a lot of nationalities, African, European, American, Asian, you name it. Many of them I have found to be far less intelligent and educated than I am, even though I don't have any certificate from outside Nigeria (except maybe training atttendance certificates). In fact, the stupidity and innate profligiacy of these 'white men', the trickery of the Indians and the stubbornness of the Chinese baffles me at times.

The real truth of the matter is that our people are not empowered enough, with education, with opportunities, with information, and to a large extent, this is made so by these imperialists and their local collaborators. You see it in government, you see it in every parastatal and even in multi-national corporations. Imagine a telco in Nigeria that launched recently, and only the expatriates were paid a stupendous 'launch bonus' in secret, while the Nigerians who worked their butt off to make it happen were totally ignored! Some of you guys may be victims of gratitude since you probably live in the diaspora, and you enjoy a degree of comfort and perceived security and a better standard of living than your African brethren, but I tell you, you need to look within and see if you're not living the life of the proverbial 'house negro', enjoying all the comforts but owning nothing in reality. No offence intended, guys. Self-hatred is definitely not the way out of our problems.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by wirinet(m): 9:59am On Apr 28, 2009
This is a very important thread because if we take Lord Lugard's observations with the right attitude, it might nudge us in the right direction.

I think we should stop our cultural practice of always attacking the messenger with ignoring the message.
For me I do not care if the message is being delivered by Lord Lugard, Hitler or even the devil itself, I will look at the message and treat it according to its merits.

Now let me highlight Lord Lugard's observations

<quote>1. In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person, lacking in self-control, discipline, and foresight. </quote>

I think this observation is spot on. You can see it in the way we celebrate every little thing extravagantly. We celebrate a new house (house warming), a new car (even a tokumbo one dumped by its original owner in Europe), a new promotion (career job or honourary titles like chief), death of a close relative especially parents ( including 1, 5, 10 and 20 year anniversary of their death)
Of course the Europeans do not engage in these celebrations and it would naturally seem strange to Lord Lugard.

<quote>
2. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. </quote>

I think Lord Lugard is not completely right here. We are yes naturally courteous, polite and full of personal vanity (chief, Dr, bishop, excellency so and so). But naturally courageous and loving weapon - no. most nigerians would faint at the sight of a gun.

<quote>
3. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future or grief for the past. </quote>
Yes, we do not seem to have the ability to foresee the future or learn from the past as it usually quickly forgotten.
<quote>
4.His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals' placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the state he has reached. </quote>

I disagree with the Lord here. The problem with us is not problems of the mind. It is a problem of not being able to form stable societies due a so many influences - both external and internal. The same mind reaches enviable heights when transported to stable societies. This is where i can accuse Lord Lugard of bias.
<quote>
5.Through the ages, the African appears to have evolved no organised religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity. The religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural.
</quote>

This is stating the obvious. Even our so called practice of Christianity and Islam is heavily tainted with our African traditional practices and still offers no clear definable religious creed.

<quote>
6.He lacks the power of organisation, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business.
</quote>
I think this is partially correct, we can manage small business or political entities but fail woefully in managing bigger entities. Maybe because our political entities never went beyond clans and villages until the coming of the Europeans.
<quote>
7.He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility.
</quote>
This is spot on, as can be seen in almost all black African Nations. Politicians seek and acquire power for the sake of power and not use the power responsively.
<quote>
8.He will work hard with a less incentive than most races.</quote>
True because he is coming from a poor background, so he is ready and happy to collect less money than say the Europeans and work harder than them. Eg African footballers playing in Europe.
<quote>
9. The virtues and defects of his race -type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy.
</quote>
This is also mostly true. This is because of slavery and the way we were colonised. We view the white man as next to God. Thus I can understand why Lord Lugard feels this way when he was virtually worshiped.
<Quote>
10 Perhaps, the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future"
</quote>
I have dealt with this

So lets take a look at the observations of Lord Lugard and use the aspects we find true to reform our character. Because since he wrote these things, not Black African nation had risen beyond mediocrity, we should be worried and ask our self why.

I also fault the people accusing Lord Lugard of being white supremacist. I cannot say he was racist but saying the British were supremacist is bit exaggerated. It was the Germans that believed and fought for white supremacy. It was the British that fought to abolished the slave trade even when the African elites were against the abolition of slavery.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by wirinet(m): 10:10am On Apr 28, 2009
The post did not turn out as i envisaged so i posted it again.

This is a very important thread because if we take Lord Lugard's observations with the right attitude, it might nudge us in the right direction.

I think we should stop our cultural practice of always attacking the messenger with ignoring the message.
For me I do not care if the message is being delivered by Lord Lugard, Hitler or even the devil itself, I will look at the message and treat it according to its merits.

Now let me highlight Lord Lugard's observations

<quote>1. In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person, lacking in self-control, discipline, and foresight.
[/quote]

I think this observation is spot on. You can see it in the way we celebrate every little thing extravagantly. We celebrate a new house (house warming), a new car (even a tokumbo one dumped by its original owner in Europe), a new promotion (career job or honourary titles like chief), death of a close relative especially parents ( including 1, 5, 10 and 20 year anniversary of their death)
Of course the Europeans do not engage in these celebrations and it would naturally seem strange to Lord Lugard.

2. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery.

I think Lord Lugard is not completely right here. We are yes naturally courteous, polite and full of personal vanity (chief, Dr, bishop, excellency so and so). But naturally courageous and loving weapon - no. most nigerians would faint at the sight of a gun.

3. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future or grief for the past.
Yes, we do not seem to have the ability to foresee the future or learn from the past as it usually quickly forgotten.

4.His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals' placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the state he has reached.

I disagree with the Lord here. The problem with us is not problems of the mind. It is a problem of not being able to form stable societies due a so many influences - both external and internal. The same mind reaches enviable heights when transported to stable societies. This is where i can accuse Lord Lugard of bias.

5.Through the ages, the African appears to have evolved no organised religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity. The religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural.

This is stating the obvious. Even our so called practice of Christianity and Islam is heavily tainted with our African traditional practices and still offers no clear definable religious creed.

6.He lacks the power of organisation, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business.
I think this is partially correct, we can manage small business or political entities but fail woefully in managing bigger entities. Maybe because our political entities never went beyond clans and villages until the coming of the Europeans.

7.He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility.
This is spot on, as can be seen in almost all black African Nations. Politicians seek and acquire power for the sake of power and not use the power responsively.

8.He will work hard with a less incentive than most races.</quote>
True because he is coming from a poor background, so he is ready and happy to collect less money than say the Europeans and work harder than them. Eg African footballers playing in Europe.
[quote]
9. The virtues and defects of his race -type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy.
This is also mostly true. This is because of slavery and the way we were colonised. We view the white man as next to God. Thus I can understand why Lord Lugard feels this way when he was virtually worshiped.
[Quote]
10 Perhaps, the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future"
I have dealt with this

So lets take a look at the observations of Lord Lugard and use the aspects we find true to reform our character. Because since he wrote these things, not Black African nation had risen beyond mediocrity, we should be worried and ask our self why.

I also fault the people accusing Lord Lugard of being white supremacist. I cannot say he was racist but saying the British were supremacist is bit exaggerated. It was the Germans that believed and fought for white supremacy. It was the British that fought to abolished the slave trade even when the African elites were against the abolition of slavery.
[/quote]
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Apr 28, 2009
@Ajankoko, you still do not get it!!
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by dnex(m): 6:14pm On Apr 28, 2009
You black people are still here? Someone will tell me whether they are called white or black, it doesn't really matter, It's the mentality. When you have your first child, name her or him Unserious Idiot and see how that person's life will turn out. Why do you people think after centuries of being tagged black Americans, those of them that are intellectually sound are gradually rejecting that name and moving to African Americans.

Lord Lugard wrote a book for the British government that would scare the people into supporting the ongoing colonization policy. Am deluded abi, well, you guys are black and proud. When did Nigerians become courageous and gunloving.

For those hailing the British for abolishing slave trade, I'm very sorry for you. America was a British colony and the slaves were taken to America to produce goods for Britain to trade in Europe. Immediately the Americans fought the British and gained their independence, the British decided to find a new continental farm which became Africa and they didn't want the precious labour force to continue being stolen by the Americans as this will profit the British nothing and make their liberated colony riches than them. Thus the abolition of slave trade and the second slavery which is homebased and otherwise known as colonization. Now you want to praise them for abolishing slave trade and starting in situ slavery? Black people, you will never learn. Never. We Africans know better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 6:20pm On Apr 28, 2009
^^^
hmm ha
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 6:28pm On Apr 28, 2009
wirinet

u see post or $hit like this thread makes me sick!!  It make me sicccccccccccccccck!! im not say hey im clever or something, but i think one must have commonsense u know. Stuff like this shouldnt be deliberate for so long.

Just picking on one of your quote above^^. who doesnt have the ability to foresee the future in nl?? eheh??

Those morons u ve in asshole rock abi? do they represent nigeria in anyway?

The communist party in china are busy tryin to figure out on how they gona send chinese man to oustide planet, they are buildin new cities from the scratch,the are breakin mediacl barriers, etc, ur slowpoke are busy fighting over ghana must go bags, who get north, south east, lagos

when i picture some morons in nl, thats makes me look like me  stupid!!!

These theory will always be flawless:

with 20 Fashola in asshole rock, wonder if that quote still stand

cool
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 6:46pm On Apr 28, 2009
Kobo,

I think Ajankoko has a logical argument even if it is not true. But I am afraid his argument holds water.
Having said that

I will say that the leadership of our nation is yet to prove Lord Lugard in the area of organisation, hunger for power and living for the moment. Just like I called the african leaders to prove prof. Watson wrong, so will I ask nigerian leaders to prove Lugard wrong. they are yet to do so.
I said much about this my blog.

But in Ghana, he has been proved wrong if not as a whole, at least in part.

But the might that we are not intelligent could easily be dismissed if the technogical conquest of the biafran soldiers during the civil is anything to go by.
We lack leadership and I think that our problem still be related to hang over and low self esteem.

Imagine a yoruba guy who has been doing business internationally wanted to bid for a a contract . With his his competence and confidence he prepares his project plan and sends it to the Governor os Southern state only to be told by aid that he should come with a white man if the contract is to sell through.

A white man could be a lebanese that is begging on the streets?

We are our own problem.

Before a process is called a culture, it must have survided several generations and some of this culture he described (not all are true) can only be overcome by people like you and I if we turn our criticism into action.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 6:52pm On Apr 28, 2009
^^^^^
true that!!

there are just too many loop hole; so arguing on this thing just doesnt hold any water no bi am
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Apr 28, 2009
agabaI23:

Kobo,

I think Ajankoko has a logical argument even if it is not true. But I am afraid his argument holds water.
Hhmmmm. . . I am not saying he does not have a point but simply saying that point is not relevant in this case. This thread is not about how the black man feels of the white man. It was not intended to be another avenue for the black man to express his insecurities when it comes to matters concerning the white man or blue man. The poster makes it clear that this is not about Luggard, or the British or skin color but about comparing the message with our truth today.

Consider this instance. You are at a bus stop and you ask the man next to you for the time, the man tells you the time, and then later comes up to you to tell you that you have BO issues that you might want to deal with. Do you

a) Look to make sure you consider the skin color of the messenger before considering the validity of the message

b) Blame your potential BO issues on your past and those who did you wrong in some past life

c) Check to confirm the message and then maybe act by stopping by at the next store to get some cover up to carry you for the rest of the day

d) Tell the messenger to go shove it, claiming that the BO is part of who you are, and that you are black and proudly wear your BO as any true black person would?

Note: Your answer will reveal a lot about how you generally approach life and all around you. Lol
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 7:10pm On Apr 28, 2009
The rational thing will be C and I guess I chose C in my post if did not read only the first comment.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Apr 28, 2009
Oh , you choose C? From what @Ajankoko has posted so far, do you think he is likely to choose C as well? lol
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by SapeleGuy: 7:14pm On Apr 28, 2009
AjanleKoko - Well said, your post is spot on - right on the money.

To the Luggard apologists.

Emancipate yourself from your mental slavery. What will it take for you to free yourselves from this damaging cycle of hopelessness. To support Luggard under any guise is the ultimate expression of self hatred and because you hate yourselves and your people so much, you can not be a force for change or good, until you change.

Lord Luggard was not in Nigeria because of his undying love for the people. Like his fellow colonialists involved in the scramble for Africa, they where only after resource control, be that minerals, people or commodities. All of them (france, britain, belgium etc) had the same objectives, to illustrate the point, I have posted a letter from King Leopold to his workers(missionaries) in the congo. It doesn't have as much BS as Luggard but nah the same thing.

Letter from King Leopold II of Belgium to Colonial Missionaries, 1883
the letter which follows is Courtesy of Dr. Vera Nobles and Dr. Chiedozie Okoro.

“Reverends, Fathers and Dear Compatriots: The task that is given to fulfill is very delicate and requires much tact.  You will go certainly to evangelize, but your evangelization must inspire above all Belgium interests.  Your principal objective in our mission in the Congo is never to teach the niggers to know God, this they know already.  They speak and submit to a Mungu, one Nzambi, one Nzakomba, and what else I don’t know.  They know that to kill, to sleep with someone else’s wife, to lie and to insult is bad.  Have courage to admit it; you are not going to teach them what they know already.  Your essential role is to facilitate the task of  administrators and industrials, which means you will go to interpret the gospel in the way it will be the best to protect your interests in that part of the world.  For these things, you have to keep watch on disinteresting our savages from the richness that is plenty [in their underground. To avoid that, they get interested in it, and make you murderous] competition and dream one day to overthrow you.

Your knowledge of the gospel will allow you to find texts ordering, and encouraging your followers to love poverty, like “Happier are the poor because they will inherit the heaven” and, “It’s very difficult for the rich to enter the kingdom of God.”  You have to detach from them and make them disrespect everything which gives courage to affront us.  I make reference to their Mystic System and their war fetish-warfare protection-which they pretend not to want to abandon, and you must do everything in your power to make it disappear.

Your action will be directed essentially to the younger ones, for they won’t revolt when the recommendation of the priest is contradictory to their parent’s teachings.   The children have to learn to obey what the missionary recommends, who is the father of their soul.  You must singularly insist on their total submission and obedience, avoid developing the spirit in the schools, teach students to read and not to reason.  There, dear patriots are some of the principles that you must apply.   You will find many other books, which will be given to you at the end of this conference.  Evangelize the niggers so that they stay forever in submission to the white colonialists, so they never revolt against the restraints they are undergoing.  Recite every day-“Happy are those who are weeping because the kingdom of God is for them.”

Convert always the blacks by using the whip.  Keep their women in nine months of submission to work freely for us.  Force them to pay you in sign of recognition-goats, chicken or eggs-every time you visit their villages. And make sure that niggers never become rich.  Sing every day that it’s impossible for the rich to enter heaven.  Make them pay tax each week at Sunday mass. Use the money supposed for the poor, to build flourishing business centres.  Institute a confessional system, which allows you to be good detectives denouncing any black that has a different consciousness contrary to that of the decision-maker.  Teach the niggers to forget their heroes and to adore only ours.  Never present a chair to a black that comes to visit you.  Don’t give him more than one cigarette.  Never invite him for dinner even if he gives you a chicken every time you arrive at his house.
“The above speech which shows the real intention of the Christian missionary journey in Africa was exposed to the world by Mr. Moukouani Muikwani Bukoko, born in the Congo in 1915, and who in 1935 while working in the Congo, bought a second hand Bible from a Belgian priest who forgot the speech in the Bible.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 7:28pm On Apr 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh , you choose C? From what @Ajankoko has posted so far, do you think he is likely to choose C as well? lol
Trust me Ajankoko wil choose C because he is not daft.
He was only using his experience to address some supposedly hang over effects that may be there.

Remember not all that Lugard said are true. The weapon loving stuff which he probably thought baout due to the resistance he encountered in some areas is for example a typical lie. Nobody would let you enchroach in his territory without taking up arms. They did the same before the foramtion of the EU.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 7:29pm On Apr 28, 2009
ajen
The real truth of the matter is that our people are not empowered enough, with education, with opportunities, with information, and to a large extent, this is made so by these imperialists and their local collaborators. You see it in government, you see it in every parastatal and even in multi-national corporations.

ikeyman
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General
« #25 on: Yesterday at 10:30:19 AM »   

----------------------------------------------------------
i will never never never agree with all those written bullls!!

nonesense!!!

human beings are human being!!! whiteman aint no better!! maybe blacks well nigerians are even better!!

for me the reason this dilemma still persist is only because we or our leaders chose not to change the environment nigerians live in

therefore, heavy corruption is the order of the day.unrest periodicly sprang-out,lack of infrastructure etc

take for eg, the lagos state of nigeria, it fast changin i hope, well for good, if all the road are revamp to world standard as GOv FAS is doing now, instinctively the people of lagos will start to build up pride in them, in turn they will start to vaule what they have by desist from throwing rubbish like pure water bags,or food stuff on the roads. In sense over time commonsense will be building up.

if the fg could programme the monetry system in a way people could see when funds are taken out from our system then, in turn ordinary man in street will know what up, even the police

we all know nigeria is fu ked when it comes to big boyz but just like china and russia nigeria need to lock up someone like ibb for 30 yrs miniimum in order to send signal to the other

pdp just like communist party is big, but the difference here is being what i have narrated above, the chinese undertsand that, thereby they ecourage their communist party as shareholder to invest heavily in china

imagine a suitation where ibb,obj, atiku as shareholders come togerther to build TI industry nationwide Now thats what the chinese communist party do, cuz they understand the princples of sustainance

imagine a suitation where 10 or more ghana must go politicians as a shareholder have world class hospital nationwide, i can picture nigerian physicians oversea steeping down to nigeria

imagine a suitation where nigerian police is look after, better pay, car entitlement, good sound training with sound equipment, hmm u can picture the prideness, imgaine a sutitaion where nigeria police can radio helicopter for a back up, hmm u no day fear

imagine a suitation where private firm or nigeria government set out incentives to researcher, hmm that might just encourage someone to find the cure for hiv

so for me damn with what the whiteman love to think, if nigeria want to change for good, we need to revamp the environment in which we live!! Simple as that!! the whiteman aint no better cuz whenever their so called civilised enviroment deforms, hey u see whietman acting like animals. This is what some arabs men done that makes them look like they are better off which the western media love  to embellish on when in the real sense it not so true. The whiteman will tell you india economy is big, the got big IT industry boomin,however at the back of his mind he will remind you old model locomotive still  strive in mubia, 600,000,000 million walkin bare footed, hmm yes they are in G20 init. As big as china, millions still live in a village without electricity, nevertheless they ve revamp the environment in which they live partially to offset restropection !! Hence they are in progress

so what next, build up your university etc, then automatically effect pride on nigerians, hey watch the so called white man true envy shows

nonesense

therefore the common ground is, lets empower nigerians by changing and developing the environment in which they live, then would be able to effect on naijas creativity in contrast to thosewho claimed to be born clever, india,chinese,whites will have a rethinkri
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Apr 28, 2009
agabaI23:

Trust me Ajankoko wil choose C because he is not daft.
He was only using his experience to address some supposedly hang over effects that may be there.

Remember not all that Lugard said are true. The weapon loving stuff which he probably thought baout due to the resistance he encountered in some areas is for example a typical lie. Nobody would let you enchroach in his territory without taking up arms. They did the same before the foramtion of the EU.

I asked you to assume the answer he would choose in this case, considering all he has posted so far. What he has done so far is stone the messenger for the message, without really considering the message itself in its entirety. Of course the message may not be 100% factual but even you somehow admit that some of it makes sense today.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 7:34pm On Apr 28, 2009
Who are you waiting for the empowerment?

The first scientist were not empowered. in fact they were ostrasized for their various claims which we was then believed to be blasphemy. We now know better. But they lingered on.

Do not blame the government in everything even though most of them will do anything to snuff life out of you if you come up with anything that will reduce the amount of money they will still.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 7:35pm On Apr 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I asked you to assume the answer he would choose in this case, considering all he has posted so far. What he has done so far is stone the messenger for the message, without really considering the message itself in its entirety. Of course the message may not be 100% factual but even you somehow admit that some of it makes sense today.

Not somehow lol. I was explicit enough.

About his posts, i only judged him based on the last one which i read.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 7:42pm On Apr 28, 2009
agaba

The first scientist were not empowered. in fact they were ostrasized for their various claims which we was then believed to be blasphemy. We now know better. But they lingered on.

yes i think we understand where u are coming from, but like Obama said, the world has changed, so we got to move on with it. hope u recognise that as well

However ina situation whereby these firms like telecom in nigeria are eager to dash money to whoever wins gold medal  or some owambe rather that sponoring university undergraduate in nigeria to come out with their own cheap environmental generated power, doesnt make things easy?? does it?
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 7:44pm On Apr 28, 2009
so lets change and develop the enviroment in which nigeria lives, in turn empowering our people for sucess and our sustainance in order to catch up with the globe

in that respect Fashola is in line with it
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 7:47pm On Apr 28, 2009
The telecom companies are chaired and owned by your own people.
They are simply doing what others are doing - looking for profit from celebrity adverts.

They are business men. Again the society does not value research so they are product of the society why will they value research in place of their gain?

All the leaders are up for what they grab abd the titles they will be given . . .
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 7:55pm On Apr 28, 2009
agaba
They are simply doing what others are doing - looking for profit from celebrity adverts.

u can argue till thy kingdom come, as u can see u are dealing with aka superman. We that live in UK knows some firms here from time to time give out to the society, still i repeat still make their money back, u can catch them on tv like the dragons den, who want to be a million and stuff, a lot of money games

now what next, abi na ifyalways no want u

cool
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 7:58pm On Apr 28, 2009

Do not blame the government in everything even though most of them will do anything to snuff life out of you if you come up with anything that will reduce the amount of money they will still.

They are business men. Again the society does not value research so they are product of the society why will they value research in place of their gain?

All the leaders are up for what they grab abd the titles they will be given . .

agaba i think u are contradicting yourself
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by agabaI23(m): 8:00pm On Apr 28, 2009
I expected that from you.
no contradiction.
read again
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 8:09pm On Apr 28, 2009
^^^^
hmmm u get juju ha

well thats looks technically contradictary doe

in spite of that i think i made a point

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Buhari Plans To Wipe Out Boko Haram, Create Jobs—Osinbajo / APC, PDP Governors, Others Congratulate Ahmed Lawan On His Victory (photos) / 2023: Tinubu Is My Strong Ally - President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.