Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General (34558 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / What Lord Lugard Thought About Nigerians / Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by dnex(m): 8:58am On Apr 29, 2009
As long as you agree that they are white and you are black, they are good and you are bad. They are right and you are wrong. They are rich and you are poor. They are kings and you are pawns.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by wirinet(m): 9:52am On Apr 29, 2009
dnex:

As long as you agree that they are white and you are black, they are good and you are bad. They are right and you are wrong. They are rich and you are poor. They are kings and you are pawns.

I think you put too much meaning in appellations, black and white is just an appellation to distinguish the most divergent colour skin tone. Because a "white" man has the lightest skin tone, while a "black" man has the darkest skin tone. There is no other connotations to it as far as i am concerned and i as a person have no problem with it.
Since all humans have brown colouration (due to the degree of melanin in their skin), would you be more comfortable with very dark brown and very light brown to describe skin differences?

What do you want the Asian people who are classified as yellow people when their skin is also a shade of light brown and not yellow to do.

What about others like the Indegenous Americans who are called RED, when also their colour is a light shade of brown.

Some people put too much attention on irrelevances.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 10:00am On Apr 29, 2009
^^^
im lost
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by AjanleKoko: 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2009
Na wa o.
Enough analysis of AjanleKoko's reasoning. In fact, somebody is even comparing what we're discussing to body odour.
Well, what would you think of a dirty homeless wino coming to tell you that you have BO?
No wahala, Believe what you will, guys, but know that you always become what you believe.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by dnex(m): 9:28am On Apr 30, 2009
@wirinet

have you asked yourself why these caucasians have rejected the name gringoes given to them by south americans? Yet they want the whole world to accept the name Latin Americans or Red Indians. People that have no idea what Latin is or have no relationship to Indians. What is wrong with calling them what they really are: AMERICANS.

Why don't they accept the name Oyibo (which simply means a person from another place) there's nothing derogatory about that. See, there is no shade of brown that should be described as black and no shade of pink that should be described as white. The designation of black and white were not given by Oyibos to signify skin colour but superior and inferior, good and bad, progressive and backward. When the British colonised India and China, the colonial officers wrote many letters condemning these black people.

When the Romans colonised the rest of Europe, they met Nations such as the Barbarians and the Brutish. Are those tribes still referring to themselves by those names today? They got civilised and realised that such names would make their generations to come barbarians and brutals till the end of time. Now we have the Germans and British and today they call us blacks and we want to agree.

Why is the word nigger or negro derogatory when it translates simply into the word black person? If a person can be angry for being called a nigger, I wonder how that same person can be black and proud. I wonder how that same person can say it doesn't really matter being labelled black. When your mates in America are moving from being called Black Americans to African Americans, you Africans are happy to be called blacks.

The day you see anything being tagged black to connote goodness, that is when black people will be better. Be it magic, lie, heart, leg, sheep, mail, eye, once it becomes black, it becomes bad. Once it is tagged white, it becomes good. You do the math.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by sage(m): 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2009
This thread has deviated undecided

Only wirinet discussed the actual merits and demerits of the assertions Lugard made.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by AjanleKoko: 5:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
sage:

Only wirinet discussed the actual merits and demerits of the assertions Lugard made.

Sage,
You should have indicated when you posted the thread, the shade of opinion you wanted to capture.
It's allowed, abi?
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by mazaje(m): 6:03pm On Apr 30, 2009
sage:

so true. . . . .lugard unfortunately made some VERY valid points, but as some one has said earlier on we love living in denial. . . .White people are what they are because they made themselves what they are. . . we are what we are(at the bottom) because we made ourselves what we are. . . .
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by jona2: 7:12pm On Apr 30, 2009
AjanleKoko:

You know the problem with this type of thinking, RichyBlack? It's negative stereotyping.  Let me tell you some of the remarks average Yorubas make about Ibo people:

- Ibo people like money too much, in fact they are heavily into money rituals.
-Ibo people are troublemakers, which is why no self-respecting Lagos landlord would rent out an apartment to them
-Ibo people don't go to school, they rather sell pare parts or do some sort of funny biz.
-Ibo people don't have the competence to rule over Nigeria, look what they are doing to themselves in the east!
-A Yoruba man can never allow his daughter to marry an Ibo guy, cos they are corpse-water drinking savages, and the in laws will be all over the matrimonial home . . .

The list goes on like that. Imagine, if I was Yoruba (which I am anyways) and you're Ibo. I express these sentiments publicly to you, repeatedly, all the while telling you that I'm just trying to help you change. How would it go down well with you, especially if you were a well-educated, gainfully engaged, happily settled, and peaceful Ibo chap (I am close friends with many of such people), and I was a Yoruba uneducated area boy, a masquerade follower (I also know many of these fellows). Would you not think that I am deliberately trying to attack your self-esteem, and run you down, so that you would have a persistent sense of being inferior to me? As a Yoruba person, sometimes that is how I feel about the very many comments made about Ibo and and Hausa people by my fellow Yorubas.

For me, I'm an African resident in the heart of Africa, but has worked and been around a lot of nationalities, African, European, American, Asian, you name it. Many of them I have found to be far less intelligent and educated than I am, even though I don't have any certificate from outside Nigeria (except maybe training atttendance certificates). In fact, the stupidity and innate profligiacy of these 'white men', the trickery of the Indians and the stubbornness of the Chinese baffles me at times.

The real truth of the matter is that our people are not empowered enough, with education, with opportunities, with information, and to a large extent, this is made so by these imperialists and their local collaborators. You see it in government, you see it in every parastatal and even in multi-national corporations. Imagine a telco in Nigeria that launched recently, and only the expatriates were paid a stupendous 'launch bonus' in secret, while the Nigerians who worked their butt off to make it happen were totally ignored! Some of you guys may be victims of gratitude since you probably live in the diaspora, and you enjoy a degree of comfort and perceived security and a better standard of living than your African brethren, but I tell you, you need to look within and see if you're not living the life of the proverbial 'house negro', enjoying all the comforts but owning nothing in reality. No offence intended, guys. Self-hatred is definitely not the way out of our problems.

Peace.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by ikeyman00(m): 8:50pm On Apr 30, 2009
yes brainless[b] fumi [/b] prove him wrong!^^^
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by 2dmax(m): 9:18am On Feb 16, 2011
To all, there is no way a white man is better than me, no way! If he tends to disagree, we just have to trade places, so he can fully realise. Then again our culture is ours and must be kept. Climbing an oil palm tree, pounding yam/peppers, eating with our hands, its ours. at least we can claim originality to that.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by tobi197(m): 9:41pm On Jan 12, 2015
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it in the future.
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by akigbemaru: 6:41am On Sep 13, 2016
lord lugard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by cbravo(m): 9:41am On Apr 20, 2017
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by starlingbawa(m): 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
sage:
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=28:the-vague-future-of-nigeria&catid=28:friday-column&Itemid=56

Lord Lugard, the former governor-general of Nigeria, in 1926, wrote his unfiltered thought about Nigerians. From his book, The Dual Mandates, come these excerpts: "In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person, lacking in self-control, discipline, and foresight. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals' placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the state he has reached.

"Through the ages, the African appears to have evolved no organised religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural. He lacks the power of organisation, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility - he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue. In brief, the virtues and defects of his race -type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy. Perhaps, the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future"

Guys lets discuss the thoughts of Lord Lugard. he had  a supremacist view obviously. But is he right in the way he describes Nigerians and Africans in general? How many of the issues that he raises are valid?

Letz get some responses

So true of the Nigerian Cum African man.....
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Patrioticooduan: 6:49pm On Jul 06, 2018
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!! Can anyone really deny this portion of the whole? roflmao!! I have never read the book myself but this does sound interesting!!

Given what we know today, would it be supremacist for someone today to think the same of Nigerians?
Lolz! Nine years after this thread
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Patrioticooduan: 6:56pm On Jul 06, 2018
The African man truely doesn't have a foresight. If truely he has, why won't he know Nigeria won't grow right from the day of independence? The aggravate matter, they replaced regions with states.
Africans truely have no foresight
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by Ayobami7(m): 10:33am On Nov 16, 2018
This is my Comment
Re: Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General by nlPoster: 3:00pm On Oct 17, 2019
Do u realise that we as a people seem incapable of self examination? We always get defensive, personalize the issue and qattack whoever makes any observation without addressing the validity of the observation. We seem 2 look for somebody else 2 blame for everything.
We conviniently blame everything on something but never look inwards. We justify the observations made about us launching into tantrums everytime w have no valid answers

It's not something that can be fixed, it's the Nigerian character.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Udom, Osinbajo, Oyedepo, Ortom, Dogara Storm Dunamis For Dr Paul Enenche / ‘Be Careful’ — Adamu Warns Machina Over Yobe North Senatorial Ticket / Governor Fayose Carrying A Woman Who Collapsed (pics & Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.