Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,732 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. (28019 Views)

United Action For Democracy Protests Against Buhari's Government (Photos) / Buhari Is Making Appointments Without Tinubu's Knowledge- Lagos Assembly / Folasade Tinubu-Ojo Protests Against APC Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by kaboninc(m): 2:39pm On Oct 14, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Everytime there is discussion on Yoruba culture and indigenity you Ibos throw an American example to whitewash legitimacy of the points in favor to native rights. Yorubaland is not America and will never be America. There is no validity to Ibo's population in Lagos any other way than to look at election results and voting patterns. There is no way you are 40% in Lagos and APC had a landslide victory in the State at all levels. It is mathematically and statistically impossible.....the only area the number has validity is in the minds of propagandists.

As a Lagos indigene myself my hatred for Ibos knows no bounds, simply because traditionally our motto is Eko for Show....Eko is the land of fancy and merriment, you make your money, live a good life and uplift the community. Since Ibo started smelling itself in Lagos the Show in Eko has dissapeared, what we have now is Eko for Conflict! Every news, every topic, every issue about Lagos Ibo wants to dominate and when you are denied space you turn it into conflict....your Ohanaeze gets involved, your Ezes get involved, you run to social media and insult and denigrate Yoruba culture, its leaders and even the land.

We do not owe you anything.....Iboland owe you a Yoruba free assembly, Yorubaland does not.

I want you also to pay attention to emerging issues in the Nation. Hausas in the North are tired of you and your ignomity in their region and everytime the issue of separation comes up from anywhere they oppose it but when issue of regionalism comes up they are silent.
Yorubas have been agitating for regionalism as a first option and secessiin as a last resort.
Ibos do not ask for regionalism at all, you are focused on either a continous centralized power or a secession.

Even today in ministerial screening we got hints first, of Ibo's sourness and reference back to a transparent action in which every ethnic group was affected by Fsshola's deportation saga, the fact an Ibo senator will challenge that more than a year after a court threw it out speaks volume of your bitterness, hatred and long throat. Second, Fashola introduced into the minds of Senators that decentralisation will be an agenda of the current administration. In fact two Emirs in the North have joined the chorus of Yorubas and begged Buhari to implement the Confab report of 2014.

Regionalism will shift our political center in Yorubaland back to Ibadan. Policies will be drafted by representatives from each of the Yoruba Commonwealth and business in Lagos will no longer be as usual.

Yorubaland has never in its history regretted welcoming others on its soil and providing refuge and solace for their troubles....for first time in our land and history every Yoruba regrets having Ibo on its soil.

Shame and death on Ibos!

Firstly, I do not intend to dignify you by responding to your rants here.

But let me correct something. Fashola did apologize for what his government did. Having listened to him, I do share in his position as you have folks who just find themselves living somewhere and causing nuisance to the safety of the community. Yet when you make effort to get to know where they are coming from, it becomes very difficult and the government just happens to be in a cross road. Besides, taking them out of the streets, sheltering them and providing for them with no end in sight actually costs money.

So I understand he was in a fix. Yet 'dumping' them somewhere across the Niger was the low for him and he did apologize.

As for the other things you wrote, I will ignore them.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 14, 2015
ANBAKO:
I hope he knows that Yoruba is an official language in Nigeria so as English,I gbo and Hausa.

He should please hire an interpreter. At least that will be part of his youth empowerment program.

This is why it is a must in some countries to know their language before becoming a citizen.

Happy for you anyways. I love your gut and admire your achievements

Do good for good to come your way

Are u sure ur still normal grin
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 14, 2015
Movic1:

They are evil,tribalistic.backstabbers yet an igboman is a law maker in their state. One Igboman in the midst of Yorubas and you still called them slaves? You must be joking. .

If u want to witness first hand tribalism, go to Yoruba land.

We won those assembly seats fair n square.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2015
MayorofLagos:
This will be like a Mexican complaining about English as the language of instruction in American schools.

Que pas habla Espanol

Mexican (spanish) is already an official language in United states.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2015
chowlade:

u mean in d Lagoon? before that time, Igala people will rule Anambra, d ikweres and others must have taking d entire leadership of d east bf is possible

Ikwerre na igbo.

Igala na igbo cousins.

We welcome dem
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by MayorofLagos(m): 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2015
Duke,
I got here late and I see your footprints already...and of course the slayed bodies... grin

I salute o! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by MayorofLagos(m): 2:49pm On Oct 14, 2015
chuna1985:

Mexican (spanish) is already an official language in United states.

Really, it is the language of instruction in arts, science, technology...?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 14, 2015
simpleseyi:
Similar statements like the gibberish you posted above made Awolowo, Obasanjo and Benjamin Adekunle to use over 3 million Ibos for pepper soup and suya. It seems you stubborn goats want a full genocide this time around. We shall kill you all and make sure your children never grow.

xtrorse:
Frustrated loud-mouthed juvenile, I pity you and your cowardly Yoruba who stand for nothing, and are perpetually being hunted for sports by your Fulani masters. It's your destiny on earth!

If the mouth can be used as AK-47 guns, Yorubas would have been a world-power by now. 

Has Yoruba fought any modern warfare? The war Yorubas fought was with matchete and spears...and you call that war!

Can you even stand the sound of shelling? Did your fathers ever heard the sound of bombardment or shelling?

Only the noise of Ikeja bomb blast of 2001 you lily-livered creatures ran for life only to perish in the canal in your multitude.

Yoruba's contribution in the civil war was as limited as nothing. The foot soldiers were predominately from the Middle-belt and the North. Yoruba's contribution was basically in loud noise-making!

Did you hear a hint from IBB about your cowardly tribe, that if he's woken up from sleep and informed that there's a coup led by Yorubas, he'll simply go back to sleep?

A moment you bigots stutter, "Igbos Must Leave Lagos" when you're high with sniffing excess of your farts. The next moment after relentless ass-licking your slave masters you shout "One Nigeria"

Why do Yorubas stand for nothing?

If push comes to shove Igbos are not afraid to defend themselves once again! If you're in doubt venture into the streets of Lagos and put your online silly boasts and rantings to test...
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 14, 2015
E pain yoruba sha.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 2:51pm On Oct 14, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Everytime there is discussion on Yoruba culture and indigenity you Ibos throw an American example to whitewash legitimacy of the points in favor to native rights. Yorubaland is not America and will never be America. There is no validity to Ibo's population in Lagos any other way than to look at election results and voting patterns. There is no way you are 40% in Lagos and APC had a landslide victory in the State at all levels. It is mathematically and statistically impossible.....the only area the number has validity is in the minds of propagandists.
As a Lagos indigene myself my hatred for Ibos knows no bounds, simply because traditionally our motto is Eko for Show....Eko is the land of fancy and merriment, you make your money, live a good life and uplift the community. Since Ibo started smelling itself in Lagos the Show in Eko has dissapeared, what we have now is Eko for Conflict! Every news, every topic, every issue about Lagos Ibo wants to dominate and when you are denied space you turn it into conflict....your Ohanaeze gets involved, your Ezes get involved, you run to social media and insult and denigrate Yoruba culture, its leaders and even the land.
We do not owe you anything.....Iboland owe you a Yoruba free assembly, Yorubaland does not.
I want you also to pay attention to emerging issues in the Nation. Hausas in the North are tired of you and your ignomity in their region and everytime the issue of separation comes up from anywhere they oppose it but when issue of regionalism comes up they are silent.
Yorubas have been agitating for regionalism as a first option and secessiin as a last resort.
Ibos do not ask for regionalism at all, you are focused on either a continous centralized power or a secession.
Even today in ministerial screening we got hints first, of Ibo's sourness and reference back to a transparent action in which every ethnic group was affected by Fsshola's deportation saga, the fact an Ibo senator will challenge that more than a year after a court threw it out speaks volume of your bitterness, hatred and long throat. Second, Fashola introduced into the minds of Senators that decentralisation will be an agenda of the current administration. In fact two Emirs in the North have joined the chorus of Yorubas and begged Buhari to implement the Confab report of 2014.
Regionalism will shift our political center in Yorubaland back to Ibadan. Policies will be drafted by representatives from each of the Yoruba Commonwealth and business in Lagos will no longer be as usual.
Yorubaland has never in its history regretted welcoming others on its soil and providing refuge and solace for their troubles....for first time in our land and history every Yoruba regrets having Ibo on its soil.
Shame and death on Ibos!

Great response.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 2:56pm On Oct 14, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lmao...too wavey for that. I'm a different breed and being around me is a privilege to a lot of chics that I know, hence some of them always develop low self-esteem when around me - true story. Not vain - if you've the mindset that you can get any chic you want, what you wrote up there won't be applicable. Not saying I can't help a chic that's desperately in need, if we're friends - or reciprocate a nice gesture - but that sucker shiit isn't my forte. Never have and will never be.

Looool. I only speak thick village Ijebu - can't speak Yoruba loool.
tongue My Yoruba is celestial. I dunno, man. grin grin grin

You can't speak Yoruba period.

Is Ijebu now a calabar language?

Shame on you cry cry cry cry cry No excuse. You live in London; the second Yoruba capital. Some of us can write, read, and speak Yoruba fluently. cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 2:57pm On Oct 14, 2015
Aigbofa:
Actually, instead of ranting about the use of Yoruba, I think the house should just allow him to use ibo language so they can just ignore him.
I guess after ranting "Nna Nna" for one hour he will get tired and go home.

This post still got me cracking up. This boy is always hilarious. grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 2:59pm On Oct 14, 2015
Mynd44:

Lmaoooo.....

Seriously dude, I dont know what you have been eating or who fed you what you ate but you need to lay off it. But since it is getting you high....

Username noted. Another human being to lock out forever.

Wetin do you na?

Have you and the fellow been fighting tele tele? Ki lo so to po ju?

Kila gbe kile ju? Calm down, ogbeni grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by kaboninc(m): 2:59pm On Oct 14, 2015
Shymm3x:

I still don't understand your point.

1). Why should there be a change in a place still occupied by the indigenous people and what type of change are you campaigning for? London is a cosmopolitan city - however the greatness of London stems from the great architecture, history, culture, and tradition of the place. Ditto Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Berlin, Rome etc. That's why London is a unqiue city and why tens of millions of tourists visit London annually. And whoever moves to London assimilates into the city, without trying to change it - not the other way around. If you can't assimilate into the uniqueness of a place - you have to get out of there. I believe your mindset is of a covetuous one and you're envisaging a scenario whereby Lagos would become an Igbo city. That's just wishful thinking cos it's never going to happen. And this is also why folks resent Igbos. You lot better change ya suicidal mindset before you self-destruct.

Also, this is why Europeans will always be more advanced than Africans and why they continued to dominate via continuity. When the Roman empire collapsed and the Romans left all their conquered territories in Europe - most of the tribes that moved in never changed the system/structures that they left behind. They kept everything intact, assimilated into it, and consolidated on everything - hence they were able to project easily into the next stage of development. However, with Africans - it's always about utter destruction and obtuse change.

2). However, how's one Germanic blood different from the other? That's like emphasising Ijebu blood in the King of Ibadan, when Ibadan is part of Yorubaland and Ijebus are also Yorubas. Or emphasising the Ketu (Yoruba group in Benin) in probably an Alaafin of Oyo. How does that change the fact that they're basically from the roots?

3). So Igbos now own and control Lagos? If so, why's this bigot, the lone-ranger, crying about the use of Yoruba language? A lot of you are just unnecessarily and vacuously arrogant, and suicidal. You lot are too conceited with unnecessary sense of entitlement and that's your biggest Achilles heel.

1. I see no reason why you should get my point. You are asking me why should there be a change in a place still occupied by the indigenous people? You should ask why Rome conquered Europe. You should ask why the Indians were conquered. You should have asked what led to the Norman conquest. You should have asked what led to the conquest of Northern Nigeria. You do not ask such a question. Now you make reference to London's receptive nature. But you forget that London, in other to keep their heritage encourages and allows other folks from different ethnic group to live and also be represented in Government. So everyday, people throne to London, for jobs, pleasure, whatever catches their fancy. Did you also forget that indigenous people do not build and develop a society? You lot talk about ills of the Igbos but you do worse than that. I do not envisage a Lagos controlled by the Igbos. Read my response to Mynd.

2. I never said the Igbos control Lagos. I said they have a strong representation in the economic sphere of Lagos. Not only the Igbos, you find the Hausas, you find the Binis too and those from the North Central. I asked you before - how long have you spent (and actually lived) in Lagos. And in those years what was your age group. Do not sit somewhere in London and type what you have no idea of. When was the last time you visited Lagos? Don't claim the "My mama say them born me for Lagos".

The Yorubas can as well go to Imo State or Enugu State and play a commensurate role in developing the city and ask for representation in Government. Or they can even go on to become the Governor.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 3:03pm On Oct 14, 2015
Slonge2:
Hahaha another child of anger lamenting. If you cant take it anymore board an ekeledilichukwu bus and head back to yah papas hamlet cause you cant stop us from communicating in our mothers tongue.. hater oshi
grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by disumusa: 3:15pm On Oct 14, 2015
bugzbunny:

Scratch face.. Lagos was a former capital
Its will be igbo land soon grin
Get used to it
i pity ibos most time i realise that they are homeless,wanderal and higly marginalise, to the extend they love attachig them self and claim to be native of other tribe or town. Such as jos,lagos,kaduna,benue,kogi,kwara,phc.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 14, 2015
disumusa:
i pity ibos most time i realise that they are homeless,wanderal and higly marginalise, to the extend they love attachig them self and claim to be native of other tribe or town. Such as jos,lagos,kaduna,benue,kogi,kwara,phc.

Reserve your pity for your myopic and greedy people. You've got no point...
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kagawa10: 3:26pm On Oct 14, 2015
chuna1985:

If u want to witness first hand tribalism, go to Yoruba land.

We won those assembly seats fair n square.
Ibos won't even have the ticket to contest let alone of winning in the near future!
Bunch of losers

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 14, 2015
Let's preach love and tolerance. These e-wars will not produce any good other than utter destructions and hatred. Shymm3x and others that are typing from outside Nigerian shores should stop inciting Nigerians living in Nigeria against each other. When war eventually broke out they will be in safe zones laughing at our stupidity.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by disumusa: 3:26pm On Oct 14, 2015
CuckoldMaster:

Idiot. Stupid yoruba slave. Fulani's are coming to rape your mother in the ass
ibo are the most marginalise tribe in africa,
ibo have no single hope to rule a place they called there country.
No single yoruba and hausa will vote for ibo presidency.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kagawa10: 3:27pm On Oct 14, 2015
chuna1985:

Ikwerre na igbo.
Igala na igbo cousins.
We welcome dem
Igala wey be Muslim na ibo cousin? Yeye!

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 14, 2015
disumusa:
ibo are the most marginalise tribe in africa,
ibo have no single hope to rule a place they called there country.
No single yoruba and hausa will vote for ibo presidency.

IGBOS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN THE PRESIDENCY OR POLITICAL APPOINTMENTS TO SURVIVE AND EXCEL!

Contrary to the boasting of you Ab0ki ass-lickers and stooges, if Nigeria subsists the Yorubas cannot have the presidency before the Great Igbo Nation!

Despite your being in the corridors of power the Igbos have fared far better than your regions. The Igbos have the highest concentration of the middle-class citizens and thus least poverty. The Igbos are far ahead of you in the MDGs and have the best educational prowess and achievements in the country.

So, pray tell, aside crass looting of the treasury and converting the commonwealth into private properties by a few with many of your people wallowing in penury, squalor and diseases, what can you boast of against the Igbo Nation?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by nairaminds(m): 3:28pm On Oct 14, 2015
jmoore:

See yourself. Celebrating less than 5,000 megawatts for a population of 170 million.
Dude, park one side.

Wetin concern GEJ here?

undecided

lol u tink say if GEJ still dey there... we go dey get light?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by jmoore(m): 3:31pm On Oct 14, 2015
nairaminds:

lol u tink say if GEJ still dey there... we go dey get light?
You still be JJC. I no get your time.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Shymm3x: 3:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
Ilekeh:

You can't speak Yoruba period.

Is Ijebu now a calabar language?

Shame on you cry cry cry cry cry No excuse. You live in London; the second Yoruba capital. Some of us can write, read, and speak Yoruba fluently. cool

Lol. I know what I need to know about Yoruba and I understand it. I don't live in Nigeria and I probably will never do. And if I ever do, based on what I know already, I should be able to pick up the proper diction with ease.

Anyway, there are other aspects of culture far more important than the language. Understanding the history, culture, and tradition - and what it's to be from an heritage. And I probably feel more inclined to these aspects than most Yoruba folks. My mum and pops are Ijebu (though mum is half-Egba) and both can't speak Ijebu. But does that change the fact that they're Ijebu?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Shymm3x: 3:33pm On Oct 14, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Duke,
I got here late and I see your footprints already...and of course the slayed bodies... grin

I salute o! cheesy

Lol.

These folks don't understand what they're doing. grin

They honestly don't know the importance and significance of Lagos to Yorubas...and how suicidal they're to start claiming a place far deep in Yoruba territory. grin

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Shymm3x: 3:34pm On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

1. I see no reason why you should get my point. You are asking me why should there be a change in a place still occupied by the indigenous people? You should ask why Rome conquered Europe. You should ask why the Indians were conquered. You should have asked what led to the Norman conquest. You should have asked what led to the conquest of Northern Nigeria. You do not ask such a question. Now you make reference to London's receptive nature. But you forget that London, in other to keep their heritage encourages and allows other folks from different ethnic group to live and also be represented in Government. So everyday, people throne to London, for jobs, pleasure, whatever catches their fancy. Did you also forget that indigenous people do not build and develop a society? You lot talk about ills of the Igbos but you do worse than that. I do not envisage a Lagos controlled by the Igbos. Read my response to Mynd.

2. I never said the Igbos control Lagos. I said they have a strong representation in the economic sphere of Lagos. Not only the Igbos, you find the Hausas, you find the Binis too and those from the North Central. I asked you before - how long have you spent (and actually lived) in Lagos. And in those years what was your age group. Do not sit somewhere in London and type what you have no idea of. When was the last time you visited Lagos? Don't claim the "My mama say them born me for Lagos".

The Yorubas can as well go to Imo State or Enugu State and play a commensurate role in developing the city and ask for representation in Government. Or they can even go on to become the Governor.

I honestly don't know if you're feigning ignorance or it's basically just the typical vacuous exhibition of arrogance, non-existent sense of entitlement, and emotional impulses that override logical reasoning - hence you keep citing non-applicable references out of context to buttress a non-existence point.

1). When was Lagos state ever conquered and who conquered it? Epe all the way to the other side of Lagos Island and Ikorodu have always been under Ijebu Kingdom and they were only seceded to the colonists under an agreement after the Anglo-Ijebu war...but they remain Ijebuland. The Bini ruled Eko (Lagos Island) for a while but after they left the Aworis took back their land. Badagry was Dahomey territory and since Oyo ruled Dahomey for a long time - it was under Oyo. Oyos founded Ikoyi. Ijeshas and Ekitis founded where the Brits built rail terminals in Lagos (Can't remember the name of the place - someone please help me lol). Egbas own certain areas in Lagos. And Aworis own the rest. All these are Yoruba subgroups - so who conquered Lagos?

Or are you saying Igbos have conquered Lagos now? If so, how come you have only one rep member out of the gazillion of rep members in the house? How come the state has a Yoruba governor and the governance of the state is done by only Yorubas? Why is everything, from language, to culture, to tradition, to kingship etc. in Lagos quintessentially Yoruba? You sound more delusional than I initially thought. A conqueror wouldn't be crying about the language of the conquered in the house of assembly - he would change the language. Perhaps, the bigoted and crying lone-ranger should that - rather than cry everywhere. Agree?

And no, London allowed different folks into the city - so as to keep the heritage and culture alive. Hence the primary thing about being a Londoner is how well you've assimilated into the British culture/way-of-life. If you can't assimilate into what London represents - you need to get the fvck out. You can't force your own opinions on a next person's territory. A couple of Scottish MPs have represented different consistuents in London - and they never complained about the use of English language in an English city. Get with it, or get the fvck out, period.

If indigenous people do not build or develop a city - who built and developed Lagos? Who built and developed London, Paris, Budapest, Tehran, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Abeokuta, Ibadan etc.? Aliens, yes?

2). Igbos have a "strong" representation in the economic sphere of Lagos (this is disputable based on what real economics of a cosmopolitan city is - but I'll agree with you for argument sake) - but how does that make Lagos a conquered city owned and controlled by Igbos.

As for the other tosh you spouted here - I'll just ignore the emotional outburst. That has no bearing on the discourse.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 3:35pm On Oct 14, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lol. I know what I need to know about Yoruba and I understand it. I don't live in Nigeria and I probably will never do. And if I ever do, based on what I know already, I should be able to pick up the proper diction with ease.

Anyway, there are other aspects of culture far more important than the language. Understanding the history, culture, and tradition - and what it's to be from an heritage. And I probably feel more inclined to these aspects than most Yoruba folks. My mum and pops are Ijebu (though mum is half-Egba) and both can't speak Ijebu. But does that change the fact that they're Ijebu?

You can't understand a culture fully without understanding its language. The language is the gateway.
i.e Yoruba's language of respect shows how respect is an important aspect of the culture. Another example is our advancement with technological words/actions shows how advance are.

cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kagawa10: 3:36pm On Oct 14, 2015
chaze07:

See my brother don't even talk about divide or chasing anybody away,because the yorubas are the main reason why this country will not divide,oduduwa nation has nothing but sea port to the national income, so what are we saying. the people u want chase away want to Even be on their own.

Ibos are bless better know that from anambra to Akwa ibom is full of Crude oil and very industrious physically.

Hausa have something to depend on, what would the yorubas depend on?

Better be wise my friend cry

Akwa ibom's oil na ibo's oil? Wetin we no go see for nairaland!
Should I remind you that Ondo state takes home the biggest allocation after the big four oil producing states (Akwa ibom, Delta, Rivers, Bayelsa states) and the large cities (Lagos, Kano)! Care to tell me why?
Yeye people!
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Ilekeh(f): 3:37pm On Oct 14, 2015
Shymm3x:

I honestly don't know if you're feigning ignorance or it's basically just the typical vacuous exhibition of arrogance, non-existent sense of entitlement, and emotional impulses that override logical reasoning - hence you keep citing non-applicable references out of context to buttress a non-existence point.

1). When was Lagos state ever conquered and who conquered it? Epe all the way to the other side of Lagos Island and Ikorodu have always been under Ijebu Kingdom and they were only seceded to the colonists under an agreement after the Anglo-Ijebu war...but they remain Ijebuland. The Bini ruled Eko (Lagos Island) for a while but after they left the Aworis took back their land. Badagry was Dahomey territory and since Oyo ruled Dahomey for a long time - it was under Oyo. Oyos founded Ikoyi. Ijeshas and Ekitis founded where the Brits built rail terminals in Lagos (Can't remember the name of the place - someone please help me lol). Egbas own certain areas in Lagos. And Aworis own the rest. All these are Yoruba subgroups - so who conquered Lagos?

Or are you saying Igbos have conquered Lagos now? If so, how come you have only one rep member out of the gazillion of rep members in the house? How come the state has a Yoruba governor and the governance of the state is done by only Yorubas? Why is everything, from language, to culture, to tradition, to kingship etc. in Lagos quintessentially Yoruba? You sound more delusionally than I initially thought. A conqueror wouldn't be crying about the language of the conquered in the house of assembly - he would change the language. Perhaps, the bigoted and crying lone-ranger should that - rather than cry everywhere. Agree?

And no, London allowed different folks into the city - so as to keep the heritage and culture alive. Hence the primary thing about being a Londoner is how well you've assimilated into the British culture/way-of-life. If you can't assimilate into what London represents - you need to get the fvck out. You can't force your own opinions on a next person's territory. A couple of Scottish MPs have represented different consistuents in London - and they never complained about the use of English language in an English city. Get with it, or get the fvck out, period.

If indigenous people do not build or develop a city - who built and developed Lagos? Who built and developed London, Paris, Budapest, Tehran, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Abeokuta, Ibadan etc.? Aliens, yes?

2). Igbos have a "strong" representation in the economic sphere of Lagos (this is disputable based on what real economics of a cosmopolitan city is - but I'll agree with you for argument sake) - but how does that make Lagos a conquered city owned and controlled by Igbos.

As for the other tosh you spouted here - I'll just ignore the emotional outburst. That has no bearing on the discourse.

Okay.....maybe you do know a lot about the history of Yoruba Lagos grin
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Shymm3x: 3:38pm On Oct 14, 2015
Ilekeh:

You can't understand a culture fully without understanding its language. The language is the gateway.
i.e Yoruba's language of respect shows how respect is an important aspect of the culture. Another example is our advancement with technological words/actions shows how advance are.

cry cry cry cry cry

Yoruba language is tonal. I'd rather just leave it alone till I'm in a place where folks speak it properly and build from there, than force it. I do speak a little bit but it's never going to be real. It's just like the way British Jamaicans and New York/Miami Jamaicans speak Patois. It's not the same way as proper Jamaicans from the Island speak it.

I understand the culture perfectly - that's what counts.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by MayorofLagos(m): 3:39pm On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

Firstly, I do not intend to dignify you by responding to your rants here.

But let me correct something. Fashola did apologize for what his government did. Having listened to him, I do share in his position as you have folks who just find themselves living somewhere and causing nuisance to the safety of the community. Yet when you make effort to get to know where they are coming from, it becomes very difficult and the government just happens to be in a cross road. Besides, taking them out of the streets, sheltering them and providing for them with no end in sight actually costs money.

So I understand he was in a fix. Yet 'dumping' them somewhere across the Niger was the low for him and he did apologize.

As for the other things you wrote, I will ignore them.

You are lucky that happened before Oba Akiolu instructed your Ezes about the Lagoon....if it had happened.after their proper drop off would have been in the Lagoon, not in Onitsha.

Bloody freaks!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Olisa Metuh Rushed Back To Hospital / Osinbajo Panel Report: Witnesses Open Can Of Worms / Moment INEC Declared Soludo Winner Of Anambra Governorship Election 2021 (Video)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.