Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,268 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. (28026 Views)

United Action For Democracy Protests Against Buhari's Government (Photos) / Buhari Is Making Appointments Without Tinubu's Knowledge- Lagos Assembly / Folasade Tinubu-Ojo Protests Against APC Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by xrisdon(m): 7:51am On Oct 14, 2015
reuben79:
yes u r correct.......so lagos will now become fct to Biafra republic?ur mumu no get part2

Not at all! Lagos and other S.West states will become a biafra colony
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by bakynes(m): 7:58am On Oct 14, 2015
Y'all should stop the tribal thing. We all know Lagos is part of Yorubaland and Mr Jude has no right to even raise a motion to oppose the lawmakers on using Yoruba to communicate on Thursdays It's an insult. We all know FESTAC, Isolo, Amuwo- Odofin, Ajegunle is a predominantly igbo area. So if they want a fellow igbo man to represent their interest there then no problem. It's insignificant in the scheme of things. It's normal in civilized climes.In London for instance, they have a Yoruba MP representing the good people of Peckham and Camberwell (predominantly Yoruba). They have an Indian MP representing Balham area which is Predominately Indians and Pakistanis but does that make London a No Man's land? No of course it still belongs to the British that's why an English and a native of London town in the Person of Boris Johnson is the Mayor of London. They own houses and help in developing the city. Igbos online know the truth, they are just trying to get on your nerves so relax my people just keep an eye on them but know they definitely have their eyes on taking over Lagos from us.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by kaboninc(m): 8:16am On Oct 14, 2015
Mynd44:

You still dont get it.

Okay, each state has a slogan and I am not talking politics like Eko O ni Baje here. Most of those in the SW is in Yoruba. These states have anthems....yes they do and the SW states have their in Yoruba....

It is not about mistrust, it is tradition that has been there for long and one expects that someone who wants to be a lawmaker there should be able to speak a language the majority of his constituents use.

It is the same way the British police posted ads looking for people who can speak certain languages and Yoruba was one of them.....because the population is there...
A lawmaker in Lagos unable to speak Yoruba is like a lawmaker in California unable to relate in Spanish. Funny

Come to think of it, if tomorrow majority of the entire house happens to be from the Igbo stock and using their strength as the majority, they decided to adopt a day whereby on the Igbo language will be used for communication, how do you think the Yorubas will react?

You can do this thing in States where the Yoruba have a strong domineering presence like a cultural or traditional home. Not in a place where you find very strong representation of other ethnic groups. More so Lagos is a business city and not a 'village'.

You talk of the ads used by the British Police. Same thing happens in the core villages of South Western States where the language is even very deep than the 'general' dialect spoken.

My point is that by the status of Lagos as very cosmopolitan, such should never happen.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kagawa10: 8:38am On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

Instead to you to say what's objective and acceptable especially in a society as ours, you've decided to play your usual game.

For the benefits of others reading, Nigeria is a secular society and more so is Lagos State. There's a reason why English is adopted as the official language.

The Lagos State House of Assembly must desist forthwith in using the Yoruba language as the language for communication in any capacity whatsoever.

We want to reduce mutual suspicion and improve mutual understanding among the various ethnic groups in Nigeria. This way, we strengthen the bond of unity in the country. Our diversity with a common language is our greatest strength.

Imagine this nonsense happens in the National Assembly.
Eediot, after you have stopped Anambra from speaking ibo, we can now talk!
Shameless losers!

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kagawa10: 8:42am On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

Come to think of it, if tomorrow majority of the entire house happens to be from the Igbo stock and using their strength as the majority, they decided to adopt a day whereby on the Igbo language will be used for communication, how do you think the Yorubas will react?

You can do this thing in States where the Yoruba have a strong domineering presence like a cultural or traditional home. Not in a place where you find very strong representation of other ethnic groups. More so Lagos is a business city and not a 'village'.

You talk of the ads used by the British Police. Same thing happens in the core villages of South Western States where the language is even very deep than the 'general' dialect spoken.

My point is that by the status of Lagos as very cosmopolitan, such should never happen.
In your dreams though!
No ibo candidate would be given Election tickets in the near future!
And Lagos don't have strong Yoruba tradions?
Yeye people!

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by kaboninc(m): 8:51am On Oct 14, 2015
Kagawa10:

In your dreams though!
No ibo candidate would be given Election tickets in the near future!
And Lagos don't have strong Yoruba tradions?
Yeye people!

A robot thinks better and faster than you
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Kagawa10: 8:53am On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

Conquered loser!

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 14, 2015
Why would they use yoruba when they have a non indigene among them?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by azzima(m): 9:06am On Oct 14, 2015
This is where it starts....Yorubas are opening their eyes to the serpents in their midst. You ran for election in Lagos but you no Sabi Yoruba??what a farce. Reminds me of the other flat head that tried to run for lagos governor but couldn't speak Yoruba when asked to do so in an interview, after claiming to be in Lagos for over 40 years. This "just one " tribe are worse to Nigeria than Boko harams. Are they speaking English in Enugu house of assembly?that is the Igbos nature. Everything must just be about them. The omoniles and agberos need to systematically start burning down ALL their businesses "one by one". These loudmouth fools couldn't EVEN raise a finger when the Iyaloja of Lagos (Mrs Tinubu ) sent agberos to lock up their "electronic " market. They all knew what would have happened. One day it will be like the Hausa progrom of 1966. They can NEVER hear word until they are forced to. BASTARDS!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by simplycarro: 9:12am On Oct 14, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Why would they use yoruba when they have a non indigene among them?
A non indigene as you put it has no business among the indigenes if he cannot understand the language of the indigenes.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 14, 2015
simplycarro:

A non indigene as you put it has no business among the indigenes if he cannot understand the language of the indigenes.
He has a huge business. . If they didn't want to accommodate him with his differences, they should have stopped him from contesting. ..

Also, the official language in Nigeria is English.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Mynd44: 9:16am On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

1. Come to think of it, if tomorrow majority of the entire house happens to be from the Igbo stock and using their strength as the majority, they decided to adopt a day whereby on the Igbo language will be used for communication, how do you think the Yorubas will react?

2. You can do this thing in States where the Yoruba have a strong domineering presence like a cultural or traditional home. Not in a place where you find very strong representation of other ethnic groups. More so Lagos is a business city and not a 'village'.

3. You talk of the ads used by the British Police. Same thing happens in the core villages of South Western States where the language is even very deep than the 'general' dialect spoken.

Please take note of the numbers. I took the liberty of numbering you post into points(I hope you dont mind)

1. If tomorrow, the house of assembly is dominated by non-Yoruba speaking folks, the thought to change it depends on the majority in the house. Kano is also cosmopolitan and I doubt you or anyone will want to care if they decide to speak Hausa on Mondays in the house of assembly. These things happen

2. You are countering yourself here. You said it should/can only in places where a specific people have a domineering presence in tradition and culture but guess what? There is a domineering presence in Lagos. This is a state shared by the Aworis, Ijebus and the Eguns. Forget those Lagos Island people, they just love noise making grin. They have been there longer than anyone wants to admit. This is why a Governor (Jakande or so) mandated that the 7 O'Clock news be read in English, Yoruba and Egun in the old NTA channel 7 and LTV. I dont know if that is still done. A city can be cosmopolitan but then it also should recognize that the city was built on some indigenous people and language, cultural festivals and religion is part of honor and preservation of these things

3. Have you heard an Egun man talk? Heard an Ijebu (I doubt I need to remind you that Ijebu land is not restricted to Ogun state) talk or an Awori? The language is also deep but because of integration, these dialects are pushed down for use amongst themselves. The use of Yoruba for the honor of the indigenous language and it is beautiful but if they want to vote that it be removed, cool.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Mynd44: 9:17am On Oct 14, 2015
kaboninc:

Please ignore him. It is a waste of time
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by simplycarro: 9:20am On Oct 14, 2015
MarvellousGod:
He has a huge business. . If they didn't want to accommodate him with his differences, they should have stopped him from contesting. ..

Also, the official language in Nigeria is English.
Go and carry a placard to the front gate of the Assembly complex in Alausa, you can easily pass your message across that way.
Complaining on NL is a waste of your time.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 14, 2015
simplycarro:

Go and carry a placard to the front gate of the Assembly complex in Alausa, you can easily pass your message across that way.
Complaining on NL is a waste of your time.
Seems you've run out of points. ..

Why did you quote my post in the first place? undecided
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Mynd44: 9:23am On Oct 14, 2015
Kaboninc, let me chip this in. In the American state of California, English might be the official language of the country but many government services, forms and related activities are multilingual. There is a mix of Spanish and English and anyone contesting for the governorship position is expected to be able to speak Spanish. A lot of government officials are also expected to be able to speak Spanish .

Now relate this to Lagos
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by simplycarro: 9:26am On Oct 14, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Seems you've run out of points. ..

Why did you quote my post in the first place? undecided
Why did I quote your post? are you plainly silly or really that dim-witted? Even Seun will not utter that rubbish.
You don't want them to speak their language in the chambers of a predominantly Yoruba state and I encouraged you to do the right thing by bringing your objection to those concerned, you are here telling me nonsense. Lagos has been too comfortable and lax for your villagers, that is why you can talk these craps.
You must be very stuvpid indeed. grin
Go and complain in Alausa and stop bleating here on NL.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by simplycarro: 9:26am On Oct 14, 2015
The guy didn't even really complain, but just making a remark. who born am to complain openly on the floor of the house. Dem go take hin eyes see shegee. grin grin
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 14, 2015
simplycarro:

Why did I quote your post? are you plainly silly or really that dim-witted? Even Seun will not utter that rubbish.
You don't want them to speak their language in the chambers of a predominantly Yoruba state and I encouraged you to do the right thing by bringing your objection to those concerned, you are here telling me nonsense. Lagos has been too comfortable and lax for your villagers, that is why you can talk these craps.
You must be very stuvpid indeed. grin
Go and complain in Alausa and stop bleating here on NL.
Typical of teenage nairalanders, getting Insulting when they've no message to pass...

I'm not one of your kind... have a good day!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by simplycarro: 9:39am On Oct 14, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Typical of teenage nairalanders, getting Insulting when they've no message to pass...

I'm not one of your kind... have a good day!
Swerve off back into your cave. You fools want Biafra and at the same time want to be fully integrated into the politics of another region.
How does that sound? Long throat?
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by naptu2: 9:41am On Oct 14, 2015
[size=14pt]Constitution Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria (1999).[/size]

97. The business of a House of Assembly shall be conducted in English, but the House may in addition to English conduct the business of the House in one or more other languages spoken in the State as the House may by resolution approve.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by OnReflection: 9:47am On Oct 14, 2015
Thanks naptu2.
As soon as I saw you viewing this thread, I knew your contribution was bound to provide an injection of reason wink

Here is something else to consider.

HOUSE AT A GLANCE

Lagos State House of Assembly is the legislative arm of Lagos State Government. It is one of the State Houses of Assembly established by Section 90 of the Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended and endowed with powers to legislate as well as privileges and immunities to enable it exercise these powers without hindrance.

The House of Assembly is made up of forty Honorable Members elected to represent their constituencies for a period of four (4) years.

.... ..... ...... ......

... ..... ...... ......

The Sergeant-At-Arms:

The Sergeant-at-Arms who must be a retired military personnel is the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the Assembly. He attends the sittings of the House and performs the following duties:

· Maintains order on the instruction of the Speaker of the House during sittings;

· Keeps the mace and carries it to the Chamber at the commencement of legislative business;

· Leads Mr. Speaker’s procession to the Chamber on legislative days;

· Ensures that visitors or members do not enter the Chamber or public gallery of the House with walking sticks, offensive or dangerous weapons, or mobile phones;

· Ensures that no visitors or members of the public are allowed into the Chamber with a camera or any other recording equipment for the purpose of taking photographs or recording the proceedings of the House, except with the approval of the Speaker.

Sitting of the House:

The House sits on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at a time resolved to at the previous sitting. It is instructive to note that the House conducts its business in Yoruba language on Thursdays except it otherwise resolved.
Source: http://lagoshouseofassembly.gov.ng/page/house-at-a-glance

Imo Assembly to conduct business in Igbo

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Henceforth, the Imo State House of Assembly will strictly conduct its legislative businesses in Igbo Language on special days set aside for such.

Information reaching our News Desk indicate that this is a deliberate policy by the State Law makers to protect, preserve and promote the Language.

Members of the House will on such days be required to dress in Igbo Traditional attire only before stepping in Igbo into the hallowed chambers.

According to our source, the new speakers, Rt. Hon. Dr. Acho Ihim is worried not only about the seeming apathy towards intergenerational transmission of Igbo Language, but also the negative influences of Western culture on Nigerian youths, particularly with regards to exposing sensitive parts of their body in the name of fashion. It is for this reason that the present Assembly wants to lead by example.

Our source further stated that the speaker also believes that communicating in the mother tongue would strengthen members ties and build a psychological oneness. The members of the House are said to be determined to revive the Igbo Language and culture because they are aware of the fact that whoever loses his language and culture has lost his identity.
Source: http://theleaderassumpta.com/2015/08/09/imo-assembly-to-conduct-business-in-igbo/

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by naptu2: 9:50am On Oct 14, 2015
[size=14pt]Constitution Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria (1999)[/size]

55. The business of the National Assembly shall be conducted in English, and in Hausa, Ibo and Yoruba when adequate arrangements have been made therefore

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by ArodeTsolaye: 9:54am On Oct 14, 2015
azzima:
[s]This is where it starts....Yorubas are opening their eyes to the serpents in their midst. You ran for election in Lagos but you no Sabi Yoruba??what a farce. Reminds me of the other flat head that tried to run for lagos governor but couldn't speak Yoruba when asked to do so in an interview, after claiming to be in Lagos for over 40 years. This "just one " tribe are worse to Nigeria than Boko harams. Are they speaking English in Enugu house of assembly?that is the Igbos nature. Everything must just be about them. The omoniles and agberos need to systematically start burning down ALL their businesses "one by one". These loudmouth fools couldn't EVEN raise a finger when the Iyaloja of Lagos (Mrs Tinubu ) sent agberos to lock up their "electronic " market. They all knew what would have happened. One day it will be like the Hausa progrom of 1966. They can NEVER hear word until they are forced to. BASTARDS!!!![/s]

Femi Adewale why don't you go start the killing and burning of Igbo properties. What are you waiting for? After selling your father's land to phoock prostitutes, and throw parties now you are broke, sad, and jealous of the new Igbo landlord. Demented gorrilla! grin
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by OnReflection: 9:58am On Oct 14, 2015
IGBOS HAVE BEAT YORUBAS TO THIS ONE! -E BI IYANJU OMO IGBO! -YORUBA RUNU!-ALL AFRICAN LANGUAGES MUST HAVE LAWS LIKE THIS TO KEEP THEIR LANGUAGES FROM DYING AS THEY ARE NOW!

March 5, 2012

Nigeria: Igbo Language Law Debuts in Anambra
By Chukwujekwu Ilozue, 7 June 2010

Onitsha — Principals of secondary schools in Anambra State who promote pupils from Junior Secondary School III (JSS III) to Senior Secondary School I (SSS I) without the pupils passing Igbo language are to be removed from their positions and fined N5,000, for each of the pupils so promoted.

Also, any state or privately owned tertiary institution in the state which is found not to have established an Igbo language department or made Igbo language a mandatory general studies course by September, 2011 shall pay a fine of N100,000 for every month in which the offence continues.

These are some of the punishments prescribed by the newly enacted law, which is cited as Igbo Language Enforcement Law, 2010, which came into force on May 11, 2010.

It would be recalled that Governor Peter Obi signed the Bill into Law on the day he launched Suwakwa Igbo (speak Igbo) designed to enhance wide usage of Igbo language to save it from extinction.

At the public signing of the Bill into Law Obi also announced the stoppage of corporal punishment to students who speak Igbo in schools in the state and announced that Igbo Language would henceforth be compulsory in all the categories of educational institution in the state just as English and Mathematics are.

Among other things, the law prescribes that Igbo language as a subject must be passed by an Igbo student before he can be promoted from JSS III to SSS I in all secondary schools in the state; every state or privately owned tertiary institution in the state must establish an Independent department of Igbo language a mandatory general studies course in the institution and that any state or privately owned tertiary institution within the state and which is found not to have established an Igbo language department, or made Igbo language a mandatory general studies course in accordance with the provisions of the relevant sections by September, shall be liable to a fine of N100,000 for every month in which the offence continues.

Also, a head of the relevant department who finds a staff of that department dressed in Western attire in contravention of the provisions of a particular section of the law shall send that staff home to change into an Igbo traditional attire.

Also, from the commencement of the law, every Wednesday in every week shall be observed as Igbo day. That means that every staff of the state public service shall dress in Igbo traditional attire and all businesses and transactions in all offices and departments of the public service, including proceedings in the legislative chamber shall be conducted in the language.

However, the law excludes some professional bodies like judicial officers and nurses which are bound by the law.

The explanatory note of the law states that it is meant to ensure and enforce such level of fluency and vibrancy in the usage of Igbo language as befits its status as one of the three officially recognized indigenous languages of Nigeria pursuant to the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 such that the language will once more be proudly spoken and written by Ndigbo in Nigeria and the Diaspora, and used for broadcasts in reputable international media.

Recently, Governor Obi also promised to build Chief Chiedozie Ogbalu Igbo Language School that will cost the government N50.5 million for specialized and holiday programmes in Igbo.
Source: http://yeyeolade./tag/igbo-language/

1 Like

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 14, 2015
odutolasodiq:

seconded!
visionless people, they want biafra, they no want leave lagos! nah east lagos dey?

As expected
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by therevelation2: 10:04am On Oct 14, 2015
ibedun:

[s]Ode. Colo-mentality. There is language and there is communication. When something is said in a form that the other understands, then communication has taken place. In Nija broken English "hear" is the same as "understand"

That Igbo pretender should worry more about IMO state than Lagos state. He is an Igbo and has no place here in Lagos. The capital has moved to Abuja.[/s]

abayomi ibikunle edun the 48ys old foool when will your madness stop? your hatred for Igbos will slay you smelling oaf.
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Mynd44: 10:04am On Oct 14, 2015
Thanks Naptu2.

Maybe next time he wants to contest for a post he should pick up a book and read what happens in that office.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by MrMbaM: 10:05am On Oct 14, 2015
[s]
therevelation2:

abayomi ibikune edun the 48ys old foool when will your madness stop? your hatred for Igbos will slay you smelling oaf.
[/s]

Coward, always making noise everywhere like a cursed kid.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by therevelation2: 10:06am On Oct 14, 2015
MrMbaM:
[s][/s]

[s]Coward, always making noise everywhere like a cursed kid. [/s]
Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Firstinline(m): 10:13am On Oct 14, 2015
Why are Ibo people always thinking backward ? cryWhy are Ibo people always thinking backward ?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Member In Lagos Assembly Protests Against Use Of Yoruba During Sitting. by Firstinline(m): 10:17am On Oct 14, 2015
embarassedWhy are ibo people hypocrites and never appreciate anything good from other tribes like their confused father, Oju ? undecidedWhy are ibo people hypocrites and never appreciate anything good from other tribes like their confused father, Oju ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Merger: Atiku Sent Former Heads Of State To Beg Kwankwaso – Buba Galadima / Who Got What In $16b Obasanjo Power Deals Revealed / IGP Decorates 24 AIGs With New Ranks (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.