Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323521 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Atmmachine(m): 6:55am On Jan 01, 2016
Are Nigerians eligible for the American visa lottery ??
I heard the ban had been lifted, i just wanna be sure.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by arvindK: 2:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
Dear consular officer,

Thanks a lot for your contributions in this blog. I am writing a question for the sake of my sister . My sister was denied F2b visa due to a mistake( or misrepresentation as the consulate might determine it) she did in the visa application.
After she was filed with f2b, during the wait period, she was married and divorced legitimately. Unknowing the law we did not inform these happenings to the USCIS. Later when she applied for a business visa, she told the officer about her divorce. Her business visa was denied for some other reason and after a couple of years she got a letter from USCIS stating that she has to submit documents to NVC for scheduling f2b visa interview. The divorce decree was mandatory in the Immigrant visa application. She was worried on how she could get it without being able to trace her ex partner(whose traces were lost) . Hence,She submitted the application after we as a family wrongly guided her to say in the application as Unmarried girl . We ignorantly thought that being a divorced girl she is eligible for the visa and its not ethically wrong to write as unmarried when she was divorced many years back. We did not know the legal implications behind the F2b since we never consulted any attorney regarding that. Some of my friends said, after a divorce she becomes eligible for the F2b. In the F2b interview, she was pressed hard with the controversies existing in her F2b application in comparison with her previous BV application. After a little drill, she told the consular officer the truth and apologized stating that she never knew that she must disclose the divorce , with respect to the F2b. Obviously, she was denied the visa after a strong rebuke.
After a year , we received a letter from USCIS saying that her F2b petition was automatically revoked. Until now she did not get a 6c1 ineligibility,, ie, not mentioned in the revocation letter. The question is , now she is getting her F4 visa interview in coming year. Will she be ineligible for the Visa. If so when will she be informed about it (ie., 6c1 or any other misrepresentation accusation) .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lansha2006: 3:04pm On Jan 01, 2016
Happy new year VO.
I have the following concerns,
1. Is it possible for anyone to pick up my passport without my consent?
2. What do I do if I find out that someone in DHL is playing pranks with my Passport pick up?
3. How long does a passport stay at DHL before it is retuned to the embassy and what do you do to get your passport retrieved?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DiGiTaLIYKE(m): 12:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
Hello Officer,
I was offered a job by a company in the USA.
I've sent my recommendation letter and front page passport to uscis, and
was asked to apply for Employment Authorization Card(visa). Now, my question goes thus:
(1). Should i apply online or go to the US embassy office in Lagos?
(2). How much is it gonna cost me or will my employer pay the filling fee on my behalf?
(3).What are the likely questions to expect at the interviews?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 04, 2016
john2son5:
Dear VO,
I have quick questions that need your urgent response.
1. I have my IMMIGRANT VISA, all the single way tickets am getting are too expensive, the round trip are affordable. Can I get the round trip ticket even when I know I won't use the return?

2. Will i be asked of other documents ( marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc) at the POINT OF ENTRY apart from the sealed envelope given to me?

3. I cannot find my orginal police report and birth certificate some days after my interview. I cant remember if it was given back to me after the interview. If I don't find the police report and since am not sure if it is inside the sealed envelope, should I do a new one b4 traveling ? Or it is inside the sealed envelope? because I submitted it on the day of my interview but cannot remember if it was among the other documents that was returned to me.

Thanks Alot VO, my mouth cannot express how great it feels having you to talk to all the way. Thanks

I can't advise you on how to purchase your tickets.

With regards to your second and third questions, everything you will need - including the police and medical reports - is contained in the sealed envelope.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 04, 2016
sumbyjoe:
hi US consular
pls I need an urgent attention and answer to my question, my husband is an American (military) and he has filled for me but just before I was called for an interview i have given birth to a child and my child is now 4months old, now my immigrant visa is granted and I now want to move to the US to join my husband, now my challenge now is how to move my new born 4months old with me because I can't not drop her here in Nigeria she is still breastfeeding. pls I nee
d an urgent and correct answer. thanks consular.

Is the child a U.S. Citizen? If so, they won't need a visa. You can find out if the child qualifies for U.S. citizenship at time of birth by contacting the American Citizen's Services office at the Consulate or Embassy. If the child is not a citizen, your husband will have to apply for a visa for them.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 04, 2016
tmangrenadier:

Dear VO,

I am in the United states currently finishing my bachelors program in chemistry. I have not renewed my F-1 visa since I came. However, I have been pursuing my studies full time. I graduate in may 2016 and I plan to go unto graduate studies in chemistry (pHd) in the fall of 2016. I plan to return home because I have missed my family so much before I can leave for graduate school. I have a couple of questions if you do not mind.
1. Will my non-renewal of the F-1 visa impede my getting another one for my graduate studies?
2. Are there any other concerns my situation might pose to the consular officer?
3. Since every admitted prospective pHd student in the school i applied to, have their tuition waived, will i still need to show evidence of financial support as I would have without the school support?
Thank you so much.

Read the bolded statement in the section that you quoted.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 04, 2016
Atmmachine:
Are Nigerians eligible for the American visa lottery ??
I heard the ban had been lifted, i just wanna be sure.

No, Nigerians are no longer eligible for the diversity visa lottery. It's not a 'ban.'
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 04, 2016
arvindK:
Dear consular officer,

Thanks a lot for your contributions in this blog. I am writing a question for the sake of my sister . My sister was denied F2b visa due to a mistake( or misrepresentation as the consulate might determine it) she did in the visa application.
After she was filed with f2b, during the wait period, she was married and divorced legitimately. Unknowing the law we did not inform these happenings to the USCIS. Later when she applied for a business visa, she told the officer about her divorce. Her business visa was denied for some other reason and after a couple of years she got a letter from USCIS stating that she has to submit documents to NVC for scheduling f2b visa interview. The divorce decree was mandatory in the Immigrant visa application. She was worried on how she could get it without being able to trace her ex partner(whose traces were lost) . Hence,She submitted the application after we as a family wrongly guided her to say in the application as Unmarried girl . We ignorantly thought that being a divorced girl she is eligible for the visa and its not ethically wrong to write as unmarried when she was divorced many years back. We did not know the legal implications behind the F2b since we never consulted any attorney regarding that. Some of my friends said, after a divorce she becomes eligible for the F2b. In the F2b interview, she was pressed hard with the controversies existing in her F2b application in comparison with her previous BV application. After a little drill, she told the consular officer the truth and apologized stating that she never knew that she must disclose the divorce , with respect to the F2b. Obviously, she was denied the visa after a strong rebuke.
After a year , we received a letter from USCIS saying that her F2b petition was automatically revoked. Until now she did not get a 6c1 ineligibility,, ie, not mentioned in the revocation letter. The question is , now she is getting her F4 visa interview in coming year. Will she be ineligible for the Visa. If so when will she be informed about it (ie., 6c1 or any other misrepresentation accusation) .

Because she explained the truth during the course of the interview she was probably not made ineligible under 6C1. This falls under the "timely retraction" clause.

When she applies for the F4 visa class they will take another look at ineligibilities. Even if she is ineligible under 6C1, she will be able to apply for a waiver and will be given instructions on how to do so at the interview.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 04, 2016
lansha2006:
Happy new year VO.
I have the following concerns,
1. Is it possible for anyone to pick up my passport without my consent?
2. What do I do if I find out that someone in DHL is playing pranks with my Passport pick up?
3. How long does a passport stay at DHL before it is retuned to the embassy and what do you do to get your passport retrieved?

No, your consent is required for someone else to pick up your passport. You can contact the embassy directly to find out about your specific case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 04, 2016
DiGiTaLIYKE:
Hello Officer,
I was offered a job by a company in the USA.
I've sent my recommendation letter and front page passport to uscis, and
was asked to apply for Employment Authorization Card(visa). Now, my question goes thus:
(1). Should i apply online or go to the US embassy office in Lagos?
(2). How much is it gonna cost me or will my employer pay the filling fee on my behalf?
(3).What are the likely questions to expect at the interviews?
Thanks

These are all questions for USCIS (which has its closest office in Accra, Ghana). We only handle the visa interviews after USCIS has approved the applications and petitions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by frank94(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2016
Dear counsellor. Thanks so far for your painstaking contribution so far on this blog.I really need a genuine advise on this,my uncle wants to buy a property(house) in texas usa,and wants to relocate their with his kids and wife,what do you think about it based on visa issues and survival over their thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nwabush1: 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
Hello Visa Officer,

I am a US citizen based in US, filed for my husband and was asked to do a DNA for our daughter during his interview . He was asked in October to bring his passport for his Visa after the DNA result was positive. It's been over 60 days and passport is still not ready, since he went for his initial interview in July, his medical from my research is only good for 6 months so it's possibly expired and on top of that, his passport is set to expire next month. We are so confused, I know for the ones that go through DNA, passport isn't available for pickup like the standard visa processing time. Please advice us on what to do.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Donetyno: 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2016
Hello VO, happy new year to u sir.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nwabush1:
Hello Visa Officer,

I am a US citizen based in US, filed for my husband and was asked to do a DNA for our daughter during his interview . He was asked in October to bring his passport for his Visa after the DNA result was positive. It's been over 60 days and passport is still not ready, since he went for his initial interview in July, his medical from my research is only good for 6 months so it's possibly expired and on top of that, his passport is set to expire next month. We are so confused, I know for the ones that go through DNA, passport isn't available for pickup like the standard visa processing time. Please advice us on what to do.

You need to contact the Embassy or Consulate directly, referencing your case number, to get specific information on a case.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 05, 2016
Donetyno:
Hello VO, happy new year to u sir. Please I just wanna know the difference between filing date and the date USCIS receives ones petition. I'm kinda confused here, my sister said she filed for me in 2004 but my case status says petition received MAY, 2006. Moreover, what's the wait time for siblings (F4 category)? Please kindly clarify on this sir. Thank you

I honestly don't know the entire process that the case goes through with USCIS so I couldn't explain the differences in how they qualify their dates. The wait time is entirely based on the priority date which you can learn more about here: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/visa-availability-and-priority-dates
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 05, 2016
frank94:
Dear counsellor. Thanks so far for your painstaking contribution so far on this blog.I really need a genuine advise on this,my uncle wants to buy a property(house) in texas usa,and wants to relocate their with his kids and wife,what do you think about it based on visa issues and survival over their thanks.

You cannot apply for an immigrant visa without a qualifying relationship. Just wanting to live in the US is not nearly enough.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ricciricci: 10:34am On Jan 06, 2016
Good day VO, i had my interview on 11th dec 2015 nd i was approved. i got an email from us consulate lagos yesterday and was told my k1 visa case is under AP after being told i was approved on d day of my interview. I was stunned when i got dat message. I was forced to go back to my file to c whether there was a document i did not give them on d day of my interview, i was surprise to find in my possession the police report from italy where i used to live, i did not drop it, i only drop dat of nigeria. Pls is it still possible to send it to d consulate and is dat d reason my case is under AP? Thank you sir/ma!

Case # NPL2015703007(transfered case from Italy)
Passport number: A50060027
Name: Odoh Richard.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DiGiTaLIYKE(m): 12:46pm On Jan 06, 2016
Hello VO,

I want to apply for a USA visa.
Which of these offices will be faster for me: Abuja or Lagos

Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jan 06, 2016
ricciricci:
Good day VO, i had my interview on 11th dec 2015 nd i was approved. i got an email from us consulate lagos yesterday and was told my k1 visa case is under AP after being told i was approved on d day of my interview. I was stunned when i got dat message. I was forced to go back to my file to c whether there was a document i did not give them on d day of my interview, i was surprise to find in my possession the police report from italy where i used to live, i did not drop it, i only drop dat of nigeria. Pls is it still possible to send it to d consulate and is dat d reason my case is under AP? Thank you sir/ma!

Case # NPL2015703007(transfered case from Italy)
Passport number: A50060027
Name: Odoh Richard.
Thank you.

If a specific document is required, it would be requested. You will be contacted when administrative processing is complete.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jan 06, 2016
DiGiTaLIYKE:
Hello VO,

I want to apply for a USA visa.
Which of these offices will be faster for me: Abuja or Lagos

Thanks.

Immigrant visas are only processed in Lagos.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ricciricci: 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2016
Thanx VO. I'll just wait...dats all I can do.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 4:45am On Jan 07, 2016
In regard to names... My fiance has what I consider a native name but his legal name is a truncated version. Was this name supposed to be listed as an alias? To me, it is analogous to a "knick-name" but to this particular tribe is is common. In our case, the legal name is Efosa but the full name and its meaning is Efosaosere. There are many people with legal names of the truncated "Efosa" but is is commonly known in that tribe that Efosa is short for Efosaosere. This unofficial name is very confusing. I equate it to a name like "Bill" for William but to my fiance this name is much more than that even though it doesn't appear on any legal documents.Have we misrepresented by not putting this name on the biographic form of our petition and previous visa applications?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 07, 2016
tomyka81:
In regard to names... My fiance has what I consider a native name but his legal name is a truncated version. Was this name supposed to be listed as an alias? To me, it is analogous to a "knick-name" but to this particular tribe is is common. In our case, the legal name is Efosa but the full name and its meaning is Efosaosere. There are many people with legal names of the truncated "Efosa" but is is commonly known in that tribe that Efosa is short for Efosaosere. This unofficial name is very confusing. I equate it to a name like "Bill" for William but to my fiance this name is much more than that even though it doesn't appear on any legal documents.Have we misrepresented by not putting this name on the biographic form of our petition and previous visa applications?

The "name" in the application should be whatever name is on his passport. All other names would be considered aliases. Placing a nickname as an alias is not misrepresentation, it's accurate. All of the visa officers here live in Nigeria, work with Nigerians, and have an understanding of how Nigerian naming conventions work so this won't be something new to them.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jan 07, 2016
@LagosNIV

I have a question

Can an applicant have two immigrant petitions?

The case is applicant has a F1 petition because one parent is a US citizen however the queue for F1 is almost 6years. However applicants other parent is an LPR can that parent file a F2A as well since the queue for that is just 1year plus.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nwabush1: 12:44pm On Jan 07, 2016
LagosNIV:

You need to contact the Embassy or Consulate directly, referencing your case number, to get specific information on a case.
Thank you for your prompt response. Will do just that.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 07, 2016
LagosNIV:

The "name" in the application should be whatever name is on his passport. All other names would be considered aliases. Placing a nickname as an alias is not misrepresentation, it's accurate. All of the visa officers here live in Nigeria, work with Nigerians, and have an understanding of how Nigerian naming conventions work so this won't be something new to them.

That is my concern is that we did NOT list it as an alias.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.