Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,402 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323506 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by olusola009: 8:03pm On Dec 27, 2015
Hi Officer,

I will like to seek you advice on what type of visa to apply for as i will be visiting my wife who is a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United State.

I will be visiting to spend my leave days off work in February 2016 with her since we just got married this month and she will be returning to the state.

Kindly advice the type of visa to apply for and other necessary document that will be required.

Warm Regards,
Olusola.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by lindaayim(f): 6:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
hi visa officer
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 29, 2015
Bless247:

This is for the k1 visa, by the way.

No, the list of required and recommended documents has been reviewed extensively, but the interview - not documents - ultimately determines whether or not a visa is approved.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 29, 2015
OmoBendel24:
Good day dear VO and compliments of the season to you and all in the House. Just a quick one please to find out what to do of a situation. My Cousin mistakenly opened her visa packet before noticing the instruction that says not to open it and is in a fix now as to how to remedy the situation. She has a ticket already to travel by 30th of December. What way round having it returned and resealed, and POSSIBLY ready on time for her to still be on that flight? Kindly accept sincere apologies for the mistake made and point us in the right direction. Thanks lots

Unfortunately she will have to return the entire packet to the U.S. Consulate, we will have to extensively review everything, and then a resealed packet will be returned. This is why we provide clear instructions not to open the packet. Unfortunately it would be almost impossible to have this returned by the 30th.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 29, 2015
miz4oxley:
Hello Consular Officer,

I am back again. I really appreciate the way you have been dishing out answers, even since the days of DV Lottery winners on the forum. I pretty much remember how you helped solve and gave solution to questions, doubts, misinformation and enlightenment to questions and processes on the forum. I want to say job well done.

I am a legal permanent resident here in the USA, and I can remember on the day of my interview. The interviewer asked me If I was in a serious relationship, after she asked if I had kid(s) or married. I said I have a lady I am dating seriously, and really hope to get married to which is why i want to ask my question.

She asked If I intend marrying the lady and I said YES, so she asked me to hold on, she got a form, I filled her name in and signed. So my question is...

1. Why did the interviewing visa officer request for my fiancee's name?

2. Can I invite my fiancee to the US with my status as a LPR. If i can afford it?

Please advice? Happy Holidays to you.

The interviewing officer was just collecting some more information for your permanent record which could make things easier for you down the road (provided that you are being honest). As an LPR you cannot petition for a fiancé; HOWEVER, if you two were to get married in Nigeria, you could then petition for your wife as an F21 (Spouse of an LPR). The timelines are a bit different, so if you are close to naturalization it may be quicker to just wait until you are a citizen.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 29, 2015
nupital:
Dear Consular Officer,

Compliments of the season.

I really appreciate your efforts on this forum and would like to ask some questions.

My parents are US citizens via DV lottery. They filed a petition for me like two years ago but still no positive response yet.

I applied for a visiting visa in march 2014 for my sisters graduation and was refused.

I want to apply for a non-immigration visa for vacation and to witness the birth of my child. I also intend going for my MBA in the US in September as I have an admission already. I would therefore be applying for a student visa as well.

My Questions:

1. Would I be issued any of the visa as I have an immigrant petition in progress.
2. Should I cancel the petition and apply for my visas.

I would really appreciate your response.

Regards,

Nupital

Having an immigrant visa petition on file does not disqualify you from obtaining a non-immigrant visa. It is probably something that they will ask about, and it will likely play a part in whether or not a visa is issued, but I would have many more questions about someone who canceled a petition, to be honest.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:13am On Dec 29, 2015
Phemmie72:
Dear Consular Officer,

Merry Christmas to you.

Please, I need your advice.

I had applied to US embassies for visiting twice but, I was denied and advised to reapply. A very close friend of mine in the US wants me to come visit his family. Though, I applied alone then but, now with my family. I am self employed with petroleum products' marketing as nature of my business.

My close friend (US Citizen) is suggesting that he should send the invitation letter to my wife this time for the entire family (5 of us) for her to use her vacation period for us to come over to the US early next year 2016. My wife has been working with Federal Government of Nigeria for over 7 years hence, we do not have any problems with all her official documentations including vacation letter. My personal company documents are also intact too to support the application.

Do you advise that we go ahead with the above plan or how best would you advise us to go about it? I have a well funded account I can present as the sponsor for the family trip, my close friend is willing to provide all the supporting documents as well.

I await your advice.

Thanks.

You should start by carefully reviewing the available information. This is for immigrant visas, so you are in the wrong place to ask.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 29, 2015
Joboms:
Hi VO..season greetings
I'm a bit confused and I need ur advice
I've been scheduled for an interview on d 21st of January 2016 under d IR2 category and I turned 21 this month...I hope it won't be a problem for me when I get to d embassy

Secondly, my international passport will expire by April 2016 and I learnt an unexpired passport valid for 6months beyond d intended date of entry into the United states is what is needed.

pls advice me VO
Thank You.

You should come in for your scheduled interview, if there is a problem and the visa class has to be changed this will be discussed there. Also, you will need to get a new passport for the visa, so you should go ahead and do this now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 29, 2015
olusola009:
Hi Officer,

I will like to seek you advice on what type of visa to apply for as i will be visiting my wife who is a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United State.

I will be visiting to spend my leave days off work in February 2016 with her since we just got married this month and she will be returning to the state.

Kindly advice the type of visa to apply for and other necessary document that will be required.

Warm Regards,
Olusola.

If you are visiting, you are applying for a non-immigrant tourist visa (B1/B2). If you are moving to live with your wife, it is an F21 Spouse of LPR visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:33am On Dec 29, 2015
lindaayim:
hi visa officer, i am inviting my mum over for a visit in February 2016 i am a us citizen do i need to send her a letter of invitation and affidavit of support? she has been to the us before but her visiting visa is expired. thanks

Read through this entire thread. This is not an immigrant issue.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bless247: 2:52pm On Dec 29, 2015
Hi - Can you explain what you mean by "reviewed extensively". Also, is there a link to the list of recommended documents you mentioned. Thx.

LagosNIV:

No, the list of required and recommended documents has been reviewed extensively, but the interview - not documents - ultimately determines whether or not a visa is approved.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
Bless247:
Hi - Can you explain what you mean by "reviewed extensively". Also, is there a link to the list of recommended documents you mentioned. Thx.

It means that we have gone over it many, many times. Read through the thread.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bless247: 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2015
I visited my fiance once, prior to submitting the initial petition. I hope the consulate doesn't frown upon one visit. I plan on making a second visit to see my fiance next year. Should I plan on visiting before or during the time of the interview? Does it make a difference? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DiGiTaLIYKE(m): 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2015
Good day, Officer.
I was recently offered a job in USA but I don't have a passport.
So, my question is this:

(1).How long will it take me to get a passport, the requirements and the cost?

(2).Am I going to attend any interview and the expected documents for it?

(3).How long will it take for my Employment Authorization Document(EAD) Visa to be ready?

NB: I have the Reference/Recommendation letter from my employer in the USA.
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bs1626578: 12:21am On Dec 30, 2015
Hello VO,

Seasons Greetings to you. Thanks for your time and taking it upon yourself to help people out on this forum with your advice. I would also like to benefit from your rich advice.

My wife is presently LPR by DV LOTTERY. We got married in October 2015 and she already fill I-130 at USCIS.

I want to know which Visa category I belong to?

What is the due current priority date working on?

Can she Invite her mother In-law after giving birth since i wont be there for her when she deliver our baby and from people sharing their experience here i found out that I might get denied if I attempt to apply for B1/B2 to visit my wife and see our baby since I have ongoing I-130 in progress?

she is carrying our baby and by God grace she is likely to deliver within the first quarter next year, can I apply for B1/B2 visa to go see her and our baby before or after she put to bed while I-130 petition is in progress?

Any advice, experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Acarneirojr: 12:41am On Dec 30, 2015
*urgent-stuck in Canada ****

Today, Dec 30 2015 after spending the holidays with our family in Montreal my wife and step children were denied reentry into the United States because I was honest that my children were enrolled in school in New Jersey. We are in the process our I 430, I 864, and ds-260 visa completions. Our petition has been approved and we are awaiting final interview. We have gone in and out of the country several times the last few months and always been forthcoming about our pending visa status. However today the CBP denied my family entry for the simple fact that I stated that my children go to high school in New Jersey now.

Please note that we have custody of our children, I am a US citizen, and despite that they are Canadians living in the US our employers and source of income are also Canadian. My wife files taxes here and I file my 1099 annually. Meaning that to our knowledge we are not breaking any labor laws. Im a US citizen paying taxes which cover the associated costs of my childrens schooling. Additionally we are legally married in both countries and therefore have filed the I430 transfer Alien Relative visa application. Therefore they are technically still tourists going in and out of the country within the allowable time frame.

I am going to the US consulate in Montreal tomorrow on an emergency basis to get my family back in the country but need any and all advice as to how I can accomplish this successfully.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by rasaqafape: 4:40am On Dec 30, 2015
HI, I APPLY FOR VISA LOTTERY AND I FOUND OUT I WAS CHOOSEN IN THIS 2015, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I FOUND OUT LATE 4 MONTH AFTER THE NOTIFICATION WAS SENT TO MY MAIL. PLS ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 30, 2015
DiGiTaLIYKE:
Good day, Officer.
I was recently offered a job in USA but I don't have a passport.
So, my question is this:

(1).How long will it take me to get a passport, the requirements and the cost?

(2).Am I going to attend any interview and the expected documents for it?

(3).How long will it take for my Employment Authorization Document(EAD) Visa to be ready?

NB: I have the Reference/Recommendation letter from my employer in the USA.
Thanks.

All of the passport questions you have are best directed to the Nigerian passport authority. Your petitioner will have to submit to USCIS and when processing is complete, you will be called in for an interview. I can't give you a specific timeline because there are too many factors.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 30, 2015
bs1626578:
Hello VO,

Seasons Greetings to you. Thanks for your time and taking it upon yourself to help people out on this forum with your advice. I would also like to benefit from your rich advice.

My wife is presently LPR by DV LOTTERY. We got married in October 2015 and she already fill I-130 at USCIS.

I want to know which Visa category I belong to?

What is the due current priority date working on?

Can she Invite her mother In-law after giving birth since i wont be there for her when she deliver our baby and from people sharing their experience here i found out that I might get denied if I attempt to apply for B1/B2 to visit my wife and see our baby since I have ongoing I-130 in progress?

she is carrying our baby and by God grace she is likely to deliver within the first quarter next year, can I apply for B1/B2 visa to go see her and our baby before or after she put to bed while I-130 petition is in progress?

Any advice, experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The spouse of an LPR is an F21 visa class.

You can apply for a non-immigrant visa at any time, and invitations are not required.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 30, 2015
Acarneirojr:
*urgent-stuck in Canada ****

Today, Dec 30 2015 after spending the holidays with our family in Montreal my wife and step children were denied reentry into the United States because I was honest that my children were enrolled in school in New Jersey. We are in the process our I 430, I 864, and ds-260 visa completions. Our petition has been approved and we are awaiting final interview. We have gone in and out of the country several times the last few months and always been forthcoming about our pending visa status. However today the CBP denied my family entry for the simple fact that I stated that my children go to high school in New Jersey now.

Please note that we have custody of our children, I am a US citizen, and despite that they are Canadians living in the US our employers and source of income are also Canadian. My wife files taxes here and I file my 1099 annually. Meaning that to our knowledge we are not breaking any labor laws. Im a US citizen paying taxes which cover the associated costs of my childrens schooling. Additionally we are legally married in both countries and therefore have filed the I430 transfer Alien Relative visa application. Therefore they are technically still tourists going in and out of the country within the allowable time frame.

I am going to the US consulate in Montreal tomorrow on an emergency basis to get my family back in the country but need any and all advice as to how I can accomplish this successfully.

Once they started attending high school in the US, they ceased to be tourists. This is a violation of the terms of the B1/B2 visa and, frankly, you are fortunate that they were not banned for several years. If your wife was travelling to the US on a B1/B2 and completing work there, she is also breaking immigration laws.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 30, 2015
rasaqafape:
HI, I APPLY FOR VISA LOTTERY AND I FOUND OUT I WAS CHOOSEN IN THIS 2015, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I FOUND OUT LATE 4 MONTH AFTER THE NOTIFICATION WAS SENT TO MY MAIL. PLS ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO.

The Diversity Visa lottery ends each fiscal year (September 30th). Unfortunately, you are no longer eligible for the visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eretzr: 7:41am On Dec 30, 2015
Dear Sir,

I know this site is mainly for people living in Nigeria, but since I couldnt find any other forum like this, i have to ask for advice here.

I am a citizen of an Eu country, with permanent residency in an eu country, student with strong family backround in my home country, currently studying towards a degree at the university in my home country.

I have been to the USA 3x in last 2 years, never breached any rules. However, because of the fact tha I have travelled as a tourist to Iran in 2014 I am not eligible to travel to the us under the vwp anymore.

What do you as a consular officer think are my chances of getting B2 tourist visa? In the last five years I have travelled to 20+ countries, the only reason I travelled to Iran was for a vacation with my mother to admire local architecture and historical sights. Despite that visit to Iran I have been admitted under vwp in July this year without any problem. Since my visit to Iran I have also been to Israel 4x and they didnt find it to be problematic....

Your comments will be highly appreciated.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bs1626578: 9:06am On Dec 30, 2015
LagosNIV:

The spouse of an LPR is an F21 visa class.

You can apply for a non-immigrant visa at any time, and invitations are not required.

Am lost here. Is F21 same thing as F2A?

If yes, please what is the waiting time?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
eretzr:
Dear Sir,

I know this site is mainly for people living in Nigeria, but since I couldnt find any other forum like this, i have to ask for advice here.

I am a citizen of an Eu country, with permanent residency in an eu country, student with strong family backround in my home country, currently studying towards a degree at the university in my home country.

I have been to the USA 3x in last 2 years, never breached any rules. However, because of the fact tha I have travelled as a tourist to Iran in 2014 I am not eligible to travel to the us under the vwp anymore.

What do you as a consular officer think are my chances of getting B2 tourist visa? In the last five years I have travelled to 20+ countries, the only reason I travelled to Iran was for a vacation with my mother to admire local architecture and historical sights. Despite that visit to Iran I have been admitted under vwp in July this year without any problem. Since my visit to Iran I have also been to Israel 4x and they didnt find it to be problematic....

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

This is not an immigrant visa issue. You should read the entire thread.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
bs1626578:

Am lost here. Is F21 same thing as F2A?

If yes, please what is the waiting time?

Thanks

Yes, F21 is an F2A. I don't control wait times, you can look up the priority dates online.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Bless247: 2:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Hi, it seems you might've missed my question:

Bless247:
I visited my fiance once, prior to submitting the initial petition. I hope the consulate doesn't frown upon one visit. I plan on making a second visit to see my fiance next year. Should I plan on visiting before or during the time of the interview? Does it make a difference? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 30, 2015
Bless247:
Hi, it seems you might've missed my question:

You can visit your fiancé as many or as few times as you choose to do so. I can't offer relationship advice, and we don't advice applicants on how to prepare for their specific cases.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by john2son5: 3:59pm On Dec 30, 2015
Dear VO,
I have quick questions that need your urgent response.
1. I have my IMMIGRANT VISA, all the single way tickets am getting are too expensive, the round trip are affordable. Can I get the round trip ticket even when I know I won't use the return?

2. Will i be asked of other documents ( marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc) at the POINT OF ENTRY apart from the sealed envelope given to me?

3. I cannot find my orginal police report and birth certificate some days after my interview. I cant remember if it was given back to me after the interview. If I don't find the police report and since am not sure if it is inside the sealed envelope, should I do a new one b4 traveling ? Or it is inside the sealed envelope? because I submitted it on the day of my interview but cannot remember if it was among the other documents that was returned to me.

Thanks Alot VO, my mouth cannot express how great it feels having you to talk to all the way. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by sumbyjoe: 4:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
[quote author=LagosNIV post=41482130]

hi US consular
pls I need an urgent attention and answer to my question, my husband is an American (military) and he has filled for me but just before I was called for an interview i have given birth to a child and my child is now 4months old, now my immigrant visa is granted and I now want to move to the US to join my husband, now my challenge now is how to move my new born 4months old with me because I can't not drop her here in Nigeria she is still breastfeeding. pls I nee
d an urgent and correct answer. thanks consular.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by tmangrenadier: 2:44am On Jan 01, 2016
LagosNIV:
Good morning everyone, VisaOfficer has departed Nigeria but it is clear that there are still many questions so I will make an effort to continue answering your questions!

I am a U.S. Foreign Service Officer working at the U.S. Consulate in Lagos, Nigeria. Like all of the VOs in Lagos, I handle both Non-Immigrant (NIV) and Immigrant Visa (IV) interviews. The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum for your questions about immigrant visas. My colleagues and I will make every effort to answer all questions within two business days.

Please note that we cannot answer questions about specific cases, except as based on the information provided here in this discussion thread. Any responses in this forum are not to be taken as legally binding, as they will be based only on what you tell us in your questions, not on the information in any actual case. While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

We may not be able to respond to every post in this thread, and we will not answer abusive posts. Also, please don't send me private messages -- I don't even read them. If you need personal attention, please send an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov.

There is a separate thread for Non-Immigrant Visa Questions, also handled by U.S. Foreign Service Officers serving in Nigeria, at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . Please use this thread right here solely for questions about Immigrant Visas and Diversity Visas.

Regards,
LagosNIV

Dear VO,

I am in the United states currently finishing my bachelors program in chemistry. I have not renewed my F-1 visa since I came. However, I have been pursuing my studies full time. I graduate in may 2016 and I plan to go unto graduate studies in chemistry (pHd) in the fall of 2016. I plan to return home because I have missed my family so much before I can leave for graduate school. I have a couple of questions if you do not mind.
1. Will my non-renewal of the F-1 visa impede my getting another one for my graduate studies?
2. Are there any other concerns my situation might pose to the consular officer?
3. Since every admitted prospective pHd student in the school i applied to, have their tuition waived, will i still need to show evidence of financial support as I would have without the school support?
Thank you so much.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.