Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,861 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal (53894 Views)

Nigerian Lesbian Shows Off Her 'main Pussy' In New Loved Up Photos / Nneka Onuorah: Stop Calling Me Bro, I Am A Lady - Nigerian Lesbian / 'You Weren’t Born Gay' - Former Nigerian Lesbian And Club Girl Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by hubs: 2:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
Annie Teriba issues apology after admitting she had failed to get full consent before having sex with someone at this year’s NUS black students’ conference.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2966187_les_jpeg0e78cb1769eb812cfef4647c0c5eeb39 Annie Teriba is a third-year student at Wadham College, Oxford. Photograph: Oxford Union/YouTube

A prominent student activist from Oxford University is resigning from her political posts and campaigns after admitting she failed to obtain full consent before having sex at a conference earlier this year.

Annie Teriba, a third-year student at Wadham college, was the editor of No Heterox** – described as a zine for queer and trans voices – as well as a racial equality officer and member of both the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts committee and the NUS’s black students’ committee, according to the independent Oxford University newspaper Cherwell.

Teriba reportedly made the admission in a statement posted on her Facebook profile, which has since been deleted. She said she began a physical relationship with someone at the NUS black students’ conference in May, but was later told by the other person that the sex had not been consensual.

Teriba wrote: “This statement explains why I will be stepping down from political campaigning from now.

“At this year’s NUS black students’ conference, I had sex with someone. The other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual. I failed to properly establish consent before every act. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions.

“I should have taken sufficient steps to ensure that everything I did was consensual. I should have been more attentive to the person’s body language. In failing to clarify that the person consented to our entire encounter, I have caused serious irreparable harm.”

Teriba also revealed that a similar incident occurred while she was under the influence of alcohol in a club in her first year of university, when she “touched somebody in a sexual manner without their consent”. She highlighted a number of steps she would be taking to show she was committed to transformation, including seeking help for alcohol consumption and from organisations that specifically deal with sexual violence.

But the Women’s Campaign, an autonomous political group within Oxford University Student Union (OUSU), said Teriba’s admission was “rife with apologism”.

In a statement, it added: “Sexual assault is one of the most underreported crimes, especially at universities. Holding those responsible for sexual violence accountable means acknowledging the terrifying fact that violence against women is deeply ingrained in and normalised in our culture: education about the issues, campaigning for the rights of those affected, and continued vigilance about the behaviour we do not condone in our organisation is the only way forward.”

Lucy Delaney, OUSU’s vice-president for women, said: “In a society which silences survivors and which tolerates rape apologism it is essential that liberation spaces do not harbour or protect abusers, otherwise they are no better than the institutions which perpetuate oppression.”

Teriba did not respond to a request for comment.

Her full statement was published by the Oxford University magazine Cherwell:

This statement explains why I will be stepping back from political campaigning from now.

(I owe you a proper explanation, so will go into details here which you may find triggering.)

At this year’s NUS black students’ conference, I had sex with someone. The other party later informed me that the sex was not consensual. I failed to properly establish consent before every act. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions. I should have taken sufficient steps to ensure that everything I did was consensual. I should have been more attentive to the person’s body language. In failing to clarify that the person consented to our entire encounter, I have caused serious irreparable harm.

In a separate incident, in my first year of university, I was alerted to my inappropriate behaviour whilst drunk in a club, where I had touched somebody in a sexual manner without their consent. Therefore this is not an isolated incident. I apologise sincerely and profoundly for my actions.

With these incidents I have rightly lost the trust of those who I organise with and fully intend to work to ensure that I both put my politics into practice in my personal relations and to prove to them that I am committed to transformation. As such, it would be wrong of me to accept platforms and access spaces until I have done so.

In order to ensure the safety of others, I will be taking a number of steps:

i) I breached NUS’s safe spaces policy, so will not be attending future NUS events.

ii) I am resigning from all the political positions I hold – from NCAFC’s National Committee and from the NUS’s black students’ committee, and as editor of the No Heterox** zine and as the people of colour and racial equality officer at Wadham SU, Oxford.

iii) I will be stepping back from prominent campaigning in other forums, including #RhodesMustFall and rs21.

iv) I commit to getting help with how I consume alcohol. It is clear that I lack self-awareness and become sexually entitled when I am drunk. This does not excuse my actions, I am wholly responsible for the damage that I have caused.

v) I commit to educating myself properly about consent by reading zines and other materials which have kindly been made available to me.

vi) I commit to seeking help from perpetrator organisations – for example, I have taken steps to establish contact with RESPECT and will be seeking out organisations who specifically deal with sexual violence.

I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused.

Yours, Annie Teriba

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/oct/14/oxford-university-student-annie-teriba-resigns-posts-non-consensual-sex

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by henribj(m): 2:46pm On Oct 16, 2015
jeez, i am seriously surprised at the level of speech she gave, really matured.
that being said, for this my country 9ja, they can never step down, even if you like catch them red handed, them must finish them term and even go for second, and then seek for 3rd & 4th term
grin

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Zzyco: 2:51pm On Oct 16, 2015
Gays are animals. Even animals aren't gays. In fact all gays are animals. Quote me if you are one. :PGays are animals. Even animals aren't gays. In fact all gays are animals. Quote me if you are one.

125 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Fundango: 2:55pm On Oct 16, 2015
my God ,end time thing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by abiolert(m): 3:13pm On Oct 16, 2015
See as she even wowo self. Mtcew

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 16, 2015
They were both drunk. I think she is too hard on herself. But I admire her for owning up to it.

41 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by duduade: 4:15pm On Oct 16, 2015
Exactly see how she looks sef at 20...? Very ugly... and fatzzzzz...

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by ozeepresh(f): 4:48pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hmmmmm ogah oh
#SayNoToAnother P**ssy+p**ssy/d**k+d**k=threat to human existinence...

2 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by BigJakie: 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2015
She's quite mature... owning up to '4ck upz' isn't one of Nigerians good habits... Ask anyone in Jonathan's Administration...

21 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by dachin(m): 6:18pm On Oct 16, 2015
Quite strange! Oyimbo and their way.

4 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Crieff(m): 6:41pm On Oct 16, 2015
Hmmm. Goan Sinomore.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Haywhymido(m): 7:16pm On Oct 16, 2015
Rainess:
They were both drunk. I think she is too hard on herself. But I admire her for owning up to it.
exactly my thought

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by sarmiie(m): 7:39pm On Oct 16, 2015
That's another reason to always be careful of . Ur alcohol intake.......before u create irreparable damage to ur life

1 Like

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Richie0974: 8:57pm On Oct 16, 2015
...speechless. ..
Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by laurel03(m): 8:57pm On Oct 16, 2015
Homosexual over my dead body...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by ibe9ja: 8:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
Useless and condemned ugly olosho

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by datamanager5: 8:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
ok
Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Buchukwu: 8:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
Ok
Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Dandeson1(m): 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
henribj:
jeez, i am seriously surprised at the level of speech she gave, really matured.
that being said, for this my country 9ja, they can never step down, even if you like catch them red handed, them must finish them term and even go for second, and then seek for 3rd & 4th term
grin
hahahaha oboy u nor well ooogrin
Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Firefire(m): 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
orisirisi undecided

She is committed to getting help with how she consume alcohol. "It is clear that I lack self-awareness and become sexually entitled when I am drunk".

Eleya ni oti waini, alariwo ni oti li le, eni ti afi tan je, ko gbon.

May God deliver you Miss. Annie Teriba.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by mightyhaze: 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
She looks hideous!

5 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by warrior01: 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2015
Obala Jesus!

26 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Dottore: 9:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
Nigerians make more headline than any other African country since 1960AD

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by iambabaG: 9:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
Waeray oshi.. Dat one na ur business!! What pleasure will a sane woman derive from a fellow woman?
All of u shall rejoice in d hot pit awaiting u all!!

6 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by raumdeuter: 9:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
So when would they jail her for rapee cos if na man do am now e for don dey chop beans

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Dandeson1(m): 9:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
BigJakie:
She's quite mature... owning up to '4ck upz' isn't one of Nigerians good habits... Ask anyone in Jonathan's Administration...
u wan find trouble ioo,grin. no let wailers see yu

1 Like

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by lexyman(m): 9:01pm On Oct 16, 2015

1 Like

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by igboboy3(m): 9:01pm On Oct 16, 2015
[size=14pt] Only came to check the name and . . grin . .I am not disappointed. At least, they can't blame peace-loving Jonathan for this one![/size]

Nevertheless, this yellobar/Yoruba has a good sense of duty. It is not easy to resign. I foresee a future in government for her

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
sad

1 Like

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by Omotayor123(f): 9:02pm On Oct 16, 2015
Orishirishi.... At least she get Shame. She knows when and where to step down! undecided

1 Like

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by NaLaugh: 9:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
dachin:
Quite strange! Oyimbo and their way.

undecided Are we looking at the same person?

2 Likes

Re: Annie Teriba, Nigerian Lesbian In Oxford University Resigns After Rape Scandal by ayindepremier: 9:03pm On Oct 16, 2015
This girl disappoint Naija big time!babe, u fcked up!

u are so ugly, dirty and filthy that men don't even approach u.

See, if na me born u, I go sell use u to money ritualists!

#Igbo ppl go soon dey open teeth for here nw like chimpanzee

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The New Way Bachelors Look For Wives In Warri! / Man Boldly Collects Girl’s Phone Number In Her Father's Presence (Video) / "Get Me Up" Man Screams As He's Sexually Assaulted By Ladies Who Held Him Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.