Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,086 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... (25056 Views)

My Plantain Merchandise To Plantain Farming Life-experience(pains And Gains Ser / Plantain Slicing Machine For Making Plantain Chips / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 8:35pm On Oct 26, 2015
GooseBaba:

Lol @Tycoon.... grin

In terms of exportation of processed goods. A Bros, of mine has a warehouse in Maryland In the US. I don't know if he is into distribution. However, Most of the african processed foods I see around from garri, pounded yam, Plantain fufu, palm oil, beans etc are covered by 3 major players Ola ola, Nina and another Ghanian company.

What type of processed goods do you have in mind and size of packaging..? I'm looking into dried goat, ram or rabbit meats in thin layer. Something for snacking.. Packaging things, che you get.. grin
Do You Have Connect Or Contact With These Guys? Are They Into The Distribution? Any Website Of Theirs I Can Get Useful Informations About Exportation? I Would Love To Start And Be Familiar With The West African Coast Before Advancing Further...I Want To Go Into Processing Of Sortexed Local Rice, Sortexed Beans, Industrial&Edible Starch, Semo, Custard, Flour etc...Packaging- 1kg,2kg,5kg,10kg,20kg And 50kg

2 Likes

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 8:39pm On Oct 26, 2015
GooseBaba:

Lol @Tycoon.... grin

In terms of exportation of processed goods. A Bros, of mine has a warehouse in Maryland In the US. I don't know if he is into distribution. However, Most of the african processed foods I see around from garri, pounded yam, Plantain fufu, palm oil, beans etc are covered by 3 major players Ola ola, Nina and another Ghanian company.

What type of processed goods do you have in mind and size of packaging..? I'm looking into dried goat, ram or rabbit meats in thin layer. Something for snacking.. Packaging things, che you get.. grin
Your Choices Of Meats Are Hilarious...Very Good Choice! Never Ate Or Seen Dried Goat Or Rabbit Before. When Do You Intend Starting, So I Can Have A Taste?
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 8:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
GooseBaba:

You be real sharp guy.... grin..
Lol...Am I?
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 9:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
I Have Been So Busy With The Processing Of My Plantain Bunches. This Was Not What I Actually Bargained For...But As Things Went, We Were Unable To Sell The Whole Of The Plantain At Ketu...Like I Said Earlier, We Started Selling On Friday Morning, We Sold About Half Of What We Brought To The Market...We Never Expected The Sales To Be As Slow As It Was...The Whole Market Was Saturated And Fillled With Plantain Different Merchants Brought To The Market. What People And My Collegues Told Me Was That We Could Not Meet The Demands Of People, And That If We Brought 5 Trailers Of Plantain To The Market, We Would Sell All That Same Day...It Appeared They Exaggerated Everything.

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 9:11pm On Oct 26, 2015
Truly, There Are Times When A Single Merchant Can Come With 5 Trailer Of Plantain And Sell All At The Market, But This Can Only Be Done During Strategic Times And Strategic Planning And Approaches...Our Timing Was'nt Really Bad, But Our Planning And Approach Was Poor Kinda...But We Did A Good Job, Though Not Pretty.

2 Likes

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 9:27pm On Oct 26, 2015
We Continued Sales Very Early On Saturday, Thinking We Would Again Complete And Finish Sales Which Was About 25 Dozens...We Were Again Cut Short By The Death Of A Particular Person Who They Assigned That Day To Honour...Sales Was Slowed Down But Was Not Prevented...Customers Used This Opportunity To Give Very Low Pricing For The Plantains Knowing (Sellers Especially Those With Leftovers Including Us) Would Hurrily Want To Sell To Prevent Ripening/blackening And Spoilage...They Took The Pricing Of Each Dozen To As Low As 2k5 And Gradually As The Sun Was Setting And Evening Was Approaching, The Price Went To As Low As 1k5 As The Plantains Were Darkening And Ripening.

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 10:00pm On Oct 26, 2015
My Partners Had Other Things To Attend To In Ogun State, So They Left Me At The Market...One Of Them Needed To Attend To His Sorghum Farm In Ogun State...When Evening Approach, Buyers Started Using The Black Patches On The Plaintain As An Excuse To Give Ridiculous Prices... We Were Left With 10 Dozens Of Plantain Bunches. Calculating The Price At Which Buyers Were Giving, We Would Be Short Of Our Investment With More Than 30k...So, I Opted For A Plan As An Agricultural And Processing Engineer...

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by GooseBaba: 12:49am On Oct 27, 2015
djdoxxx:
Your Choices Of Meats Are Hilarious...Very Good Choice! Never Ate Or Seen Dried Goat Or Rabbit Before. When Do You Intend Starting, So I Can Have A Taste?

Lol....that's the plan... The marketing no go get part 2... grin for this aspect I'm still doing my research. This is not the area of my expertise. I'm applying a long time approach to all of my agricultural investment.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by GooseBaba: 1:36am On Oct 27, 2015
djdoxxx:
Do You Have Connect Or Contact With These Guys? Are They Into The Distribution? Any Website Of Theirs I Can Get Useful Informations About Exportation? I Would Love To Start And Be Familiar With The West African Coast Before Advancing Further...I Want To Go Into Processing Of Sortexed Local Rice, Sortexed Beans, Industrial&Edible Starch, Semo, Custard, Flour etc...Packaging- 1kg,2kg,5kg,10kg,20kg And 50kg

That's a lot you got going. However, the advice I got from insiders is that in this industry the retailers control the price. Meaning you've to know what people are buying before you start processing. Like for instance, Semo, edible starch and custard are limited sales. A lot of consumers like myself eat foods like that once in a blue moon..
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 8:52am On Oct 27, 2015
GooseBaba:

Lol....that's the plan... The marketing no go get part 2... grin for this aspect I'm still doing my research. This is not the area of my expertise. I'm applying a long time approach to all of my agricultural investment.
Long Term Approach Would Mean You Do A Quality Research As You Have Said...Seems You Prefer Animal Husbandry To Crop Farming? Any Plans Going Into Crop Farming...As For Me, I Would Venture Into ( Heliculture) Snail Farming Soon As I Have Acquired And Is Still Acquiring More Knowledge About Doing It Commercially...
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 9:14am On Oct 27, 2015
GooseBaba:

That's a lot you got going. However, the advice I got from insiders is that in this industry the retailers control the price. Meaning you've to know what people are buying before you start processing. Like for instance, Semo, edible starch and custard are limited sales. A lot of consumers like myself eat foods like that once in a blue moon..
I Have Considered The Marketability Too, And That's Why I Am Opting For Supplying Food Canteens And Eateries At A Very Convenient And Lesser Price...The Good Thing Is That I Have Started Small, And I Get To Consume Out Of My Produce...The Custard, Plantain Flour, Semo I Eat At Home Are My Personal Produce...As For The Starch, I Want To Target Supplying Macro And Micro Dry Cleaners...It Is High Time One Get A Transport Bus To Help Run Around And Distribute Goods...This To Me Is What Is Lacking For Now...

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by GooseBaba: 2:05pm On Oct 27, 2015
djdoxxx:
I Have Considered The Marketability Too, And That's Why I Am Opting For Supplying Food Canteens And Eateries At A Very Convenient And Lesser Price...The Good Thing Is That I Have Started Small, And I Get To Consume Out Of My Produce...The Custard, Plantain Flour, Semo I Eat At Home Are My Personal Produce...As For The Starch, I Want To Target Supplying Macro And Micro Dry Cleaners...It Is High Time One Get A Transport Bus To Help Run Around And Distribute Goods...This To Me Is What Is Lacking For Now...

I see you already have a plan... grin..

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by GooseBaba: 2:20pm On Oct 27, 2015
djdoxxx:
Long Term Approach Would Mean You Do A Quality Research As You Have Said...Seems You Prefer Animal Husbandry To Crop Farming? Any Plans Going Into Crop Farming...As For Me, I Would Venture Into ( Heliculture) Snail Farming Soon As I Have Acquired And Is Still Acquiring More Knowledge About Doing It Commercially...

Actually, I am looking to corner a niche market.. That's why you see my choice of meat.. If I do dabble into farming it will also be a niche market.

There is this company that sells beef.. Their selling point is that their animals live in a very clean environment, eat fresh organic produce and get this, the livestock all listens to smooth jazz and classical music under a controlled ambiance. Their quality control is so on point that their consumers are high end. Niche market type things...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2015
GooseBaba:

I see you already have a plan... grin..
Yes, I Do Boss.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2015
GooseBaba:

Actually, I am looking to corner a niche market.. That's why you see my choice of meat.. If I do dabble into farming it will also be a niche market.

There is this company that sells beef.. Their selling point is that their animals live in a very clean environment, eat fresh organic produce and get this, the livestock all listens to smooth jazz and classical music under a controlled ambiance. Their quality control is so on point that their consumers are high end. Niche market type things...
Seriously? Where In This Country Do We Have Such Already? It Is Just So On Point, And This Means One Having Some Sort Of Registered / Suscribed Customers...Wonders Of Packaging!!!
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by djdoxxx(m): 2:43pm On Oct 27, 2015
GooseBaba:

Smooth Jazz And Classical Music Reminds Me Of 'The Cow Boys' And Makes Me Wonder How The Animals Would Dance To The Melody And Sound Of The Music...Lmao
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by alakara(m): 2:47pm On Oct 27, 2015
@djdoxxx Pls how do u process all these products.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by masties2(f): 5:15pm On Oct 27, 2015
@djdoxxx, thumb ups on your achievement. I am very interested in this plantain business and I was supposed to start on Sunday, 2 days ago. However, human factor stopped me. I would really love to learn from you. Your mind is rich and fertile with business ideas. Hope we can chat on WhatsApp. Thanks.

Goosebaba I hope to learn from you too.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by aluko1010: 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2015
djdoxxx:
My Team And Myself Would Be Transporting Plantain From Our Farm In Ondo State To Lagos...We Already Carried Out Proper Market Surveys At The Markets Mushin, Ketu And Mile12...We Met With So Many Marketers And Sellers( Olobe) There In Lagos...My Team Without I, Did The Physical Market Surveys...Started With Mushin And Mile12 This Last Saturday, Then Finally Ketu...With Informations And Contacts Gathered, It Was Very Obvious We Wouldn't Make Our Trip To Mushin Even Though It Was Where We Had Our Direct Link To....We Were Told They Would Buy At #6,000 Per Dozen...That Didnt Stop Us Though, We Pushed Our Survey To Mile12 And Ketu, And The Dozen Price Seemed Promising (#7000 - #8,000)...Boooombaaaah!!! My Team Arrived The Farm Site Since Yesterday While I Would Join Them This Morning As I Am Busy With Other Things In Akure Presently...I Would Keep Everyone Posted As The Adventure Continues...Funnily, I Am The Only Nairalander Amidst Them, Lol... Your Questions Are Welcomed...
pls I want to start plantain farming too pls I wouldn't mind to meet u
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by GooseBaba: 7:46pm On Oct 27, 2015
djdoxxx:
Seriously? Where In This Country Do We Have Such Already? It Is Just So On Point, And This Means One Having Some Sort Of Registered / Suscribed Customers...Wonders Of Packaging!!!

All na packaging... We're not reinventing the wheel. Just adding a new shine shine to it.. grin

I don't know about any company doing it in Nigeria. But in Southeast Asia a company does it with chickens. And beef in North America and Europe. Meanwhile, i do think there is a market for niche products that targets high end consumers in Nigeria.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by GooseBaba: 7:52pm On Oct 27, 2015
masties2:
@djdoxxx, thumb ups on your achievement. I am very interested in this plantain business and I was supposed to start on Sunday, 2 days ago. However, human factor stopped me. I would really love to learn from you. Your mind is rich and fertile with business ideas. Hope we can chat on WhatsApp. Thanks.

Goosebaba I hope to learn from you too.

My Aunty.... We're learning from each other. It just might be your take on an idea that will transform my own. Vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by FAJFARM(m): 9:07am On Oct 28, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
You are right.all is going well Will be expecting
With d spacing of 10feet, how many suckers can an hectare accommodate?
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:19am On Oct 28, 2015
FAJFARM:

With d spacing of 10feet, how many suckers can an hectare accommodate?
with that spacing,1,110 suckers will accommodate 1 hectare of farmland.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by Pavore9: 10:57am On Oct 28, 2015
djdoxxx:
I Have Been So Busy With The Processing Of My Plantain Bunches. This Was Not What I Actually Bargained For...But As Things Went, We Were Unable To Sell The Whole Of The Plantain At Ketu...Like I Said Earlier, We Started Selling On Friday Morning, We Sold About Half Of What We Brought To The Market...We Never Expected The Sales To Be As Slow As It Was...The Whole Market Was Saturated And Fillled With Plantain Different Merchants Brought To The Market. What People And My Collegues Told Me Was That We Could Not Meet The Demands Of People, And That If We Brought 5 Trailers Of Plantain To The Market, We Would Sell All That Same Day...It Appeared They Exaggerated Everything.

You need to create a market outside Ketu. To delay the ripening of plantain do an experiment with waxing a bunch of plantain with a thin film of shea butter. l know that is what a Congolese firm that packages freshly harvested plantains in cartons and have it exported do to extend the shelf life.

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by masties2(f): 11:20am On Oct 28, 2015
Pavore9, u are a store of information and I have been following you on Nairaland for long now. I always learn something from you.
Djdoxxx, you could consider Ikotun market. The market is huge but has no plantain depot. The sellers buy from Mushin and Ketu. I think that we could try it out.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by masties2(f): 11:28am On Oct 28, 2015
Buying plantain and transporting from Benin, the ROI was rather low from my calculations. A coach of plantain goes for between 60-70000, depending on bargaining power and has about 15- 20 dozens. Transport per coach in a 911 truck is 8000 per coach. Loading and market fee Is 2000. In Lagos heard I have to pay for produce, I don't know how much. But like you said planning is important and getting a market. I do hope you can guide me in Agroprenuership

1 Like

Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by Betensured: 3:31am On Oct 29, 2015
alakara:
@djdoxxx
Pls how do u process all these products.
i will be talking about processing on a new thread and my blog soon. Please hang on.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by Betensured: 3:40am On Oct 29, 2015
Pavore9:

You need to create a market outside Ketu. To delay the ripening of plantain do an experiment with waxing a bunch of plantain with a thin film of shea butter. l know that is what a Congolese firm that packages freshly harvested plantains in cartons and have it exported do to extend the shelf life.
Thanks boss for this information. i already sold all the plantains since day before yesterday. I was smart to leave ketu market with 10 dozens to ikotun where i stay to sell the remaining. I sold about 7 dozens and processed 3 dozens...My mum helped with the customers who came to gladly pick up their plantains at a very convenient price...The price of plantain is on the high side in Ikotun...And i will be making it a substitute-market. thanks for the shea butter info... cheesy
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by Betensured: 3:50am On Oct 29, 2015
masties2:
Pavore9, u are a store of information and I have been following you on Nairaland for long now. I always learn something from you.
Djdoxxx, you could consider Ikotun market. The market is huge but has no plantain depot. The sellers buy from Mushin and Ketu. I think that we could try it out.
thanks for the info on ikotun market...My mum and a friend of mine told me merchants come there to sell plantain too in bulk...they made it sound like there exist plantain depots there in ikotun. My initial plan was to take my plantain to ikotun market but my mum advised i could do that on another trip with fresh ones... Unfortunately, i never got to go to ikotun market and carry out a market survey there till i left ikotun this afternoon. Do you stay in Ikotun or where do you stay? Do you mean i can bring up to 40 dozens to Ikotun market and sell all in a day? or you mean i could bring my leftovers there? Do you want to get into this business too? THIS IS Djdoxx, operating with another account.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by Betensured: 4:04am On Oct 29, 2015
masties2:
Buying plantain and transporting from Benin, the ROI was rather low from my calculations. A coach of plantain goes for between 60-70000, depending on bargaining power and has about 15- 20 dozens. Transport per coach in a 911 truck is 8000 per coach. Loading and market fee Is 2000. In Lagos heard I have to pay for produce, I don't know how much. But like you said planning is important and getting a market. I do hope you can guide me in Agroprenuership
What was your ROI? Have you done the business already? or still carrying out survey? What's the average price of a dozen there? Where in Benin are you getting the plantains? With the cost of plantain you stated, i can easily tell you will be going to lagos with just two coaches or one and a half...to get a mouth-salivating ROI, you may need to go with up to three coaches....so you can beat transport costs, transport taxes, and average cost per dozen...Please, ensure your vehicle moves before 12 noon so as to arrive lagos before 12am...so you can have time to offload and rest before selling your goods. This was part of the mistakes we made. Ensure you never have transport issues as this is the main priority in this business.
Re: My First Plantain Merchandise To Lagos... by FAJFARM(m): 7:28am On Oct 29, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:

with that spacing,1,110 suckers will accommodate 1 hectare of farmland.

Well done I really appreciate your quick response to ones aid. Can I know how d calculation is done. Coz I tried calculating it with an acre to arrive that 1110 but cldnt get it. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Quality Galvanize Movable Fish Ponds / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures / What Would It Cost Me To Raise 500 Broilers To Maturity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.