Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria (5055 Views)

See What An Indian Expatriate Wrote About Nigeria / An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria / Expatriate Kidnapped In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by ElRazur: 10:17am On May 04, 2009
agabaI23:

But you believed the second one with thinking anyone could write it? A contradiction isn't it?

One. I am human, so contradiction is one of the behaviours I am expected to exhibit.

Two. I mentioned that "It warmed my heart to see the goodness of my people". Where is the indication I believed it? A story can warm my heart, without me actually believing it . Lord of the Ring warmed my hearts. Do I think it is real or believable?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by phantom(m): 10:43am On May 04, 2009
I no blame the idiot,if to say we no insult ourselves,dem for dey insult us like this?*long hiss*
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by blacksta(m): 11:04am On May 04, 2009
Badriyyah:

Tell him if he doesn't feel welcomed here he should go back home. I grew up around expatriates, they are all the same, segregate themselves from the community and live in their perfect world. They complain about the country 24/7 yet they don't even know what hardship is. angry angry. I've had so many arguments with them, amazing. Some are not even qualified, you've got intelligent Nigerians who could do the job better being bossed around by foreigners, Such a shame, when are we going to put our ppl first?

I am sure we have many intelligent Nigerian that would be happy to do the same job for 1/10 th of what the oyinbo man is getting. I see the jobs advertised here in the u.k sometimes btw $500 - $700 per day excluding expenses. I have worked with quite a number of project managers as far i am concern we the foot soldiers do all their work. Project Manager are just glorified idiots. Maybe the Nigerian thing is just down to general inferiority complex
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 11:25am On May 04, 2009
Badriyyah:

Tell him if he doesn't feel welcomed here he should go back home. I grew up around expatriates, they are all the same, segregate themselves from the community and live in their perfect world. They complain about the country 24/7 yet they don't even know what hardship is.  angry angry. I've had so many arguments with them, amazing. Some are not even qualified, you've got intelligent Nigerians who could do the job better being bossed around by foreigners, Such a shame, when are we going to put our ppl first?

Don't mind the nigga. If you ask him to go back to America, he'll break down and cry like a child.

I found out on my own that before he became an "expat", he was living with his razz mushin wife in Ikorodu and commuting to his work place from there. Lucky for him, he got a job in a company that pays handsomely, moved into an Ikoyi serviced flat and gets everything at his beck and call. All of a sudden, its "African Lib" we are hearing.
The guy just below him who's a Nigerian is a brilliant man! He knows the nitty gritty of the job and doesn't nag like a deprived chicken all over the place. Unfortunately, he earns about half of what Mr African lib earns. undecided

Inferiority complex yes, but each to their own. If I don't like my inferior boss, I might as well take a hike, abi?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:28pm On May 04, 2009
$20,000 a month after taxes in Nigeria?? roflmao!!
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 1:18pm On May 04, 2009
Best believe.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by agabaI23(m): 1:26pm On May 04, 2009
ElRazur:

One. I am human, so contradiction is one of the behaviours I am expected to exhibit.

Two. I mentioned that "It warmed my heart to see the goodness of my people". Where is the indication I believed it? A story can warm my heart, without me actually believing it . Lord of the Ring warmed my hearts. Do I think it is real or believable?

hehe! using technicalities to rationalize yourself out of your impulsive remark grin grin grin
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by ElRazur: 1:31pm On May 04, 2009
agabaI23:

hehe! using technicalities to rationalize yourself out of your impulsive remark grin grin grin

That is what makes debating interesting. smiley
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by agabaI23(m): 1:32pm On May 04, 2009
ElRazur:

That is what makes debating interesting. smiley
cool!
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by MadMax1(f): 2:09pm On May 04, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well, herein lies the problem in how we approach these things. First, what has his country and it's history to do with his experience in Nigeria ? You no read where e tell you say na una dey give am big head by paying him and his kind to appear next to you and how your girls fall around for them even on CCTV?  You don't see where he is made to think he is all that by your own people?

Frankly I don't give a rat's tiny tail about people who pay to have 'em appear next to them. Our politicians are of dubious sanity and nothing they do surprises me anymore. The expatriate is entitled to his opinion but he does not get to define who a Nigerian is, 'dirty' and all the nauseating rest. And he especially does not get to do that when I'm now reading that opinion, along with who knows how many other people, some of whom may not have been to Nigeria before. Our food is poison? Edi kai kong with fresh fish and snails, and bush meat? Moi-moi with seven lives? Egunsi simmered in beef stock and ugwu, and served with soft pounded yam? White rice with just the right herbs, and a sauce to die for?What's he got in Germany that compares with that,pray tell- sauerkraut?

His isn't some calm,objective assessment of the Nigerian 'situation',and I'm not going to dignify it as such. This is malicious,gloating,mischevous crap from an asinine, 'superior' little runt, and he may, and I'm putting this nicely, go to HELL.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 2:20pm On May 04, 2009
Mad_Max:

Our food is poison? Edi kai kong with fresh fish and snails, and bush meat? Moi-moi with seven lives? Egunsi simmered in beef stock and ugwu, and served with the soft pounded yam? White rice with just the right herbs, and a sauce to die for?What's he got in Germany that compares  with that,pray tell- sauerkrat?

ROTFL! cheesy

You dey vex o.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by MadMax1(f): 2:37pm On May 04, 2009
spikedcylinder:

ROTFL! cheesy

You dey vex o.

E vex me na. Na yeye guy.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Akpangbon: 2:45pm On May 04, 2009
its all lies - and these same guys will do anything to stay in Nigeria -

but Poster, what is your aim of putting the email in here? I wonder what goes on in your ogbonge head, honestly.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by asha80(m): 2:57pm On May 04, 2009
Akpangbon:

its all lies - and these same guys will do anything to stay in Nigeria -

but Poster, what is your aim of putting the email in here? I wonder what goes on in your ogbonge head, honestly.

What is wrong in putting it here?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by phantom(m): 3:00pm On May 04, 2009
@madmax, Word!
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by monkeyleg: 3:53pm On May 04, 2009
The day the Nigerian government starts treating its people well, others will follow. dont blame the man, he says it as he see's it, well that is if the email is true.

If we do not have respect for ourselves, we should not expect anyone to. This is not new, you only need to travel outside to see what others think of us as a country, so the sooner we get our act together and start moving forward the better, but my guess is that we are not @ that point yet.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by redsun(m): 4:09pm On May 04, 2009
No,as per food,we have some great natural food,he is talking rubbish in that sense.Oyinbos,apart from the very rich and noble ones who can afford to buy organic only eat chemical and processed food,full of sugar,salt and unnecessary added fat.

There is a recent case making headlines now in england of excessive sugar,fat and salt in babies food like cowgates products.They more or less  initiate children into sweet tooth from birth and it is devastating with high rates obesity,type two diabetics,dental and heart diseases among children
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by 4Play(m): 4:13pm On May 04, 2009
Who is saying we have great food? I guess even a goat will call the grass it eats ''great food''.

The true test of whether your food is great is whether it has cross-cultural appeal. Nigerian food doesn't.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by ElRazur: 4:16pm On May 04, 2009
4 Play:

Who is saying we have great food? I guess even a goat will call the grass it eats ''great food''.

The true test of whether your food is great is whether it has cross-cultural appeal. Nigerian food doesn't.

Some will disagree. I know loads of non-Nigerians that stuff their face with Nigerian foods. Especially, the southern,western and eastern food. If you are in London, it is not unusual to see different races eating our food in the eateries and restaurant.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by 4Play(m): 4:19pm On May 04, 2009
ElRazur:

Some will disagree. I know loads of non-Nigerians that stuff their face with Nigerian foods. Especially, the southern,western and eastern food. If you are in London, it is not unusual to see different races eating our food in the eateries and restaurant.

The above is anecdotal evidence. There has been a large Nigerian community in London for decades,yet, you don't see Nigerian dishes being touted widely. When your office does anything, how many ask to go to a Naija joint?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by redsun(m): 4:22pm On May 04, 2009
Of course like every other thing our presentations are poor and takes one to know what food is,for u to know what good food is all about,some people might think mcdonalds burgers is better tha ogi and moi moi just because they are carried away with the presetation,it is poison.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by ElRazur: 4:27pm On May 04, 2009
4 Play:

The above is anecdotal evidence. There has been a large Nigerian community in London for decades,yet, you don't see Nigerian dishes being touted widely. When your office does anything, how many ask to go to a Naija joint?

You want scientific evidence? grin

Again one can argue that this is due to "fear of johnny foreigner" approach that have become synonymous with certain aspect of their culture here. How many food of international origin have cross appeal in the British menu? You can count everyone of em on one hand - Chinese and Indian.

On a more serious note, saying our food lacks cross appeal is a bit short-sighted and not in anyway a fact.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by redsun(m): 4:38pm On May 04, 2009
It is case of monkey no fine him mama like am.Some people just get carried away with all the creamy,sugary,salty and fatty grubs they call food in the west ,real oyinbos know they are not good for consumption,they are all psychedelic with little or no substance.

Yes,we have some innovations to make with our food,but as for being natural and healthy,it is far much better than oyinbo's
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by ElRazur: 4:44pm On May 04, 2009
Our food are rich in nutrients as it is less processed. Things like vitamins, fibres, protein etc can be lost through processing. Also, it is well known that human tend to chew/masticate processed food less than unprocessed food. For example, you will chew more of cooked rice, than say noodles.

The western diet is known to be a causative factor for diseases like Bowel cancer, diabetes, High blood pressure etc.

Peronsally, I find eating mcdonalds makes me feel weird, and I mean weird in an unhealthy way. But allow me to eat some home made food and gosh, am all good. Long live Nigerian food. smiley
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On May 04, 2009
ElRazur:

On a more serious note, saying our food lacks cross appeal is a bit short-sighted and not in anyway a fact.

I am not too sure of that. I have yet to meet any non-nigerian, even non-Nigerian africans, who swears by/loves Nigerian food. I never really gave much thought to it until now. I know ghanians and some camerounians who love our movies but I can't say they love our food. lol
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On May 04, 2009
Mad_Max:

Frankly I don't give a rat's tiny tail about people who pay to have 'em appear next to them. Our politicians are of dubious sanity and nothing they do surprises me anymore. The expatriate is entitled to his opinion but he does not get to define who a Nigerian is, 'dirty' and all the nauseating rest. And he especially does not get to do that when I'm now reading that opinion, along with who knows how many other people, some of whom may not have been to Nigeria before.

Apparently, he does have a say since he already pushed the send button on his email. You are just reading it after the fact. Lol

Mad_Max:

Our food is poison? Edi kai kong with fresh fish and snails, and bush meat? Moi-moi with seven lives? Egunsi simmered in beef stock and ugwu, and served with soft pounded yam? White rice with just the right herbs, and a sauce to die for?What's he got in Germany that compares with that,pray tell- sauerkraut?

His isn't some calm,objective assessment of the Nigerian 'situation',and I'm not going to dignify it as such. This is malicious,gloating,mischevous crap from an asinine, 'superior' little runt, and he may, and I'm putting this nicely, go to HELL.

Roflmao!!
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by 4Play(m): 5:56pm On May 04, 2009
ElRazur:

You want scientific evidence? grin

Again one can argue that this is due to "fear of johnny foreigner" approach that have become synonymous with certain aspect of their culture here. How many food of international origin have cross appeal in the British menu? You can count everyone of em on one hand - Chinese and Indian.

You are contradicting yourself. You inadvertently acknowledged that very few such dishes had cross-cultural appeal; Chinese and Indian. Nigerian food is quite clearly not one of them.

You know non-Nigerians who devour Nigerian food, I don't know any, not even those who want to be polite.

A fact? The burden of proof is on you to establish the existence of something. If there is such appeal, demonstrate it, and don't tell me your anecdotal experience which isn't universal.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by agabaI23(m): 6:00pm On May 04, 2009
I know an Irish girl who does not play with nigerian dishes. She was not dating any Nigerian for your information. She even knows how to prepare some herself.

4play geddit?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by 4Play(m): 6:09pm On May 04, 2009
agabaI23:

I know an Irish girl who does not play with nigerian dishes. She was not dating any Nigerian for your information. She even knows how to prepare some herself.

4play geddit?

Such sapience. I know an Irish girl = anecdote
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by ElRazur: 6:20pm On May 04, 2009
4 Play:

You are contradicting yourself. You inadvertently acknowledged that very few such dishes had cross-cultural appeal; Chinese and Indian. Nigerian food is quite clearly not one of them.

You know non-Nigerians who devour Nigerian food, I don't know any, not even those who want to be polite.

A fact? The burden of proof is on you to establish the existence of something. If there is such appeal, demonstrate it, and don't tell me your anecdotal experience which isn't universal.  

I am not contradicting myself, I am merely explaining as to why Nigerian food may not have a cross appeal to the indigenous people here. smiley

Yeah I know known Non-Nigerian who loves our food.

There is really nothing to proof. Your points was based on things that are nothing other than observation., yet you are quick to dismiss points/explanation based on personal experience or observation. Not exactly a fair way of exchanging ideas now or is it? smiley
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by MadMax1(f): 6:24pm On May 04, 2009
No 'cross-cultural appeal'? A liking for cuisine outside your cultural conditioning is an acquired taste, an acquired facility. Some cultures have condiments in common,which makes sampling and liking easy. You can't make a sweeping statement like "Nigerian food has no cultural appeal". You're talking for thousands of people you don't know, and when those who know different say so, it's 'anecdotal'.What do you want; lab rats and white coats and experiments with various naija foods to determine its cultural appeal to mice and thereby, non-nigerians? I have non-naija friends who eat Nigerian; they have dishes they like and dishes they either react to or don't like. When you're in their neck of the woods they take you to some great naija 'joints'.  No cross-cultural appeal ke?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by 4Play(m): 6:26pm On May 04, 2009
ElRazur:

I am not contradicting myself, I am merely explaining as to why Nigerian food may not have a cross appeal to the indigenous people here. smiley

It then appeals to which people: The Asian community, the Eastern Europeans, Caribbeans?

ElRazur:

There is really nothing to proof. Your points was based on things that are nothing other than observation., yet you are quit to dismiss point based on personal experience or observation. not exactly a fair way of exchanging ideas now or is it? smiley

My observation is that a cross-cultural appeal is non-existent. Yours is that a cross-cultural appeal exists and you think a ''fair way'' to exchange ideas is for me to establish non-existence as much as you establish existence. Bizarre.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Steals Show At Yuguda’s Rally. Pdp Crowd Chanted,“we Don’t Want Jonathan" / Dear Unemployed Youths, Before You Shout GEJ Till 2019, Remember These Pictures / Jonathan Gov’t To Blame For Poor Rio Olympics Outing’ – Solomon Dalung

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.