Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,865 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria (5053 Views)

See What An Indian Expatriate Wrote About Nigeria / An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria / Expatriate Kidnapped In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Dlapsow: 3:49am On Feb 19, 2011
hotel dla psów schronisko dla psa akcesoria dla psów
hotel dla psów schronisko dla psakarma dla psów karma dla psówhotel dla psów karmy dla psówfryzjer dla psów ubranka dla psówsalon dla psów hotel dla psów hotel dla psów schroniska dla psówschronisko dla psa akcesoria dla psówubranka dla psów schroniska dla psów akcesoria dla psów sklep zoologiczny dla psów fryzjer dla psów schroniska dla psów salon dla psów hotel dla psów
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Dlapsow: 1:14am On Feb 20, 2011
schronisko dla psa fryzjer dla psów imiona dla psów
ubranka dla psów schroniska dla psówsalon dla psów ubranka dla psówsklep zoologiczny dla psów karma dla psówubranka dla psów akcesoria dla psówkarma dla psów hotel dla psów schronisko dla psa schronisko dla psaschronisko dla psa hotel dla psówkarmy dla psów ubrania dla psów akcesoria dla psów karma dla psów salon dla psów ubrania dla psów akcesoria dla psów ubrania dla psów
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by hotelbook: 1:23am On Feb 20, 2011
it is yoruba,daft
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by Kilode1: 1:55am On Feb 20, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Guys, you miss the point there. And I was expecting those responses.

First, it was lunchtime. I've never worked in the UK or US or wherever you guys are at, but really, do CEOs go around over there at lunchtime looking for people sleeping in odd corners? You guys tell me.

Secondly. . . and this is the point, really . . . There is what is called 'cultural adaptation' in business. Even in business schools they teach about various cultures, and how this affects doing business in these cultures. One usual case study is the Middle East. Execs working in the Middle East are usually appraised about the culture of the Arabs, and how to factor this into the daily operational life. I've attended an AMP where we had this case study about a German chap who was a CEO in Syria, and he didn't particularly find exciting the Arab way of work (they generally spend the first hour of work socializing) and he instituted a no-frills, typically German policy of work, work and work. Surprisingly he ended up creating an atmosphere of general apathy and hostility among the Arab workers, the overall productivity declined, and he was eventually replaced by his parent company.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not condoning laziness. . . but do we not have a right to demand cultural adaptation from foreign execs working in Nigeria? Or is the Nigerian society so crass and silly that we must always get the overseer-slave treatment in our country? If they have a particular work ethic in the UK, you are bound to adapt to it. You can't transplant the UK corporate environment tradition and impose it upon Nigerians. That they have a stronger work ethic in the developed societies is moot in my view. My visits to Europe (the UK in particular) and the US have me stumped, seeing crowds in the mall at 10 O clock in the morning, generally shopping, strolling around, etc etc, all year round. We actually don't see that in Nigeria. Also, if I use the general work attitude of Oyinbos in Nigeria to gauge their race, I might want to say they seem lazier, and even a lot less intelligent (the German chap even affirmed that in his email!) except we have some 'lazy gas' in the atmosphere that affects them once they step off the plane.

All in, I felt it was unnecessary to fire the old lady, it was culturally insensitive and smacks of the disdain white people hold for blacks. I've worked in an Middle East organization with a lot of European and American execs, and you could see the deference they had for Arabs who were even their subordinates, some sort of ridiculous backside-kissing just cos they never were sure which sheik the employee was related to! These same guys are always taking some silly moral high ground when they are in African nations, while under the table you would collapse in shock when you find out the inordinate levels of profligiacy and unclothed corruption these Oyinbos engage in, corruption usually engineered and executed by them. When they want to execute their dirty contracts, they either railroad all Nigerian execs to comply, or shut them out entirely. And we believe these guys are saints? Please.

It's the general hypocrisy of our situation that has made me take this view: I as a person, do not consider myself morally, intellectually, or physiologically inferior to any other race just because I am African, and I won't jettison who I am, where I came from, and the ways and manners of my people just because some lighter-skinned person said something to that effect. In all the races, it's always the Africa who's the , the one the others must treat with disdain, the one people like Lugard, Hitler, and even Osama has some disgusting classification for. I wonder how we can ever believe in ourselves and rise to the occasion when we are reminded everyday about how we should be classified as animals, such that 98% of us have full buy in to that thinking.

Apologies for the long post.
Peace.

Ha! This is the kind of mentality I expect from those who lead our people.

I can't wait for the opportunity to help get minds like these into political leadership positions.

Brilliant!
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 2:07am On Feb 20, 2011
^Yes OO, I will be honest the only person on nairaland who I actually respect in terms of intelligence from his comments is Ajanlekoko, seems like a brilliant man the guy.
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by fstranger3(m): 3:28am On Feb 20, 2011
^^^

What about Sagamite?
Re: An Expatriate’s Email From Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 4:01am On Feb 20, 2011
lipsrsealed

grin

Swagger dey pass swagger  cheesy

You love trouble

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

If Venezuela Can Remove 5 Zeros Why Can’t We Remove 2 / Things To Do During The Nigerian Elections / We're In Final Phase Of Campaign Against Insurgency - President Buhari Assures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.