Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,054 members, 7,866,972 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 09:04 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (677980 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 8:07pm On Nov 15, 2015
Ibebe:

Hahha I get your point.

For any society to be developed and safe, Fulani herdsmen need to be restricted to a concentration camp. I don't know if those people are even humans.

Take the Fulanis and their almajiris out of the South and we've got a developing region.

Fulanis & Almajiri will continue to troop to south west as far as we are in one Nigeria, deport them, you are stepping on big toes.

I know the Fulanis too well, I don't think they can EVER adapt to a developed society.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by DeLaRue: 8:13pm On Nov 15, 2015
As for Ondo State's position in the confab, that was just Mimiko and his Afenifere PDP clique doing anything to toe the anti - Yoruba PDP line.

The confab was seriously undermined and lacked broad-based legitimacy in the first place because the so - called representatives from Ondo (and presumably other States) were virtually all PPD/Labour party supporters nominated by Mimiko and GEJ.

Most of these representatives were people who needed to be financially 'rehabilitated' in order to lock-in their support for GEJ in the run up to the Presidential elections. They were not the true representatives of the people of Ondo State.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by PrincessJaneDoe: 8:18pm On Nov 15, 2015
Katsumoto:

Agitating for regionalism online won't do much good. The relationship between representatives (senate, house) and constituents is broken in Nigeria for many reasons. If people start to pressure their reps to push for Regionalism, then discussions can start. This is why I posited earlier that the issue is mainly leadership. Can the current Yoruba leadership not see these issues or is it that they don't care?

It would be unfair to introduce tax on bad roads. To tax roads, the government must first deliver good roads.

Sir, if they are ever going to implement this, it would be staggered process.

There are some good roads in the region and I believe the governments could start in these areas. The truth is a lot of individuals/communities already pay (privately) to repair their roads anyway. As long as the government spends the money on the upkeep of the road, I believe people will eventually come around.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by DeLaRue: 8:19pm On Nov 15, 2015
In Ondo State, there is no name in Nigeria or Nigeria's history that comes close to Awolowo grin

And it is all because of the achievements of Awo's Western Region Government.

People here will happily go back to regionalism. Mimiko cannot dictate otherwise.

During the last Governorship election 2 years ago, both Mimiko and the Akeredolu were throwing spats at each other about which of them is the true touch bearer of Awo. And Mimiko's campaign posters often had Awo's photo in the background.

The question is why are parties in Ondo State still fighting to claim Awo's discipleship almost 50 years after Awo's Regional Government.

Answer: the current system has failed beyond reprieve.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Qelvin(m): 8:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
DeLaRue:

In Ondo State, there is no name in Nigeria or Nigeria's history that comes close to Awolowo grin

People here will happily go back to regionalism. Mimiko cannot dictate otherwise.
No name in Western Nigeria you mean? Cause nobody knows who Tf Awolowo is in other parts of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by oduastates: 8:23pm On Nov 15, 2015
DeLaRue:

Mimiko, tinubu, Obasanjo and all are inconsequential in the politics of Ondo state.
Once mimiko is done, he becomes as relevant as the previous governor he replaced.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by DeLaRue: 8:28pm On Nov 15, 2015
oduastates:

Mimiko, tinubu, Obasanjo and all are inconsequential in the politics of Ondo state.
Once mimiko is done, he becomes as relevant as the previous governor he replaced.

Correct.

H/ever, people here respect Tinubu's bucaneering ways and the Lagos story to some extent.

Obj has zero influence here, though he too will have some admirers.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by DeLaRue: 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2015
Without regionalism, at least, I just dont see a way out.

The cost of running many of our States are simply too high, and the quality of leadership is mediocre to poor.

Even Ondo State, an oil producing state, is only barely surviving. What hope for Osun and Ekiti?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by PrincessJaneDoe: 8:32pm On Nov 15, 2015
modath:

Ibebe, are you talking about utopia or a STATE in NIGERIA ?? cheesy

Fashola deported Non Yoruba layabouts & his YORUBA kith & kin used it as cheap political tool against him..

Just pause for a moment to think of Ogun state University lmposing a "non indigene" levy on an ondo statr indigenious student, IT CAN'T EVER END WELL. grin

Ladies, I totally understand where you are both coming from. However, the governments can use the current debt/financial situation to their benefit. A lot of the states are running at a deficit which implies that they must cut expenditure and/or increase IGR to keep the states afloat.

This is what the senators and representatives ought to be discussing in their respective houses. I believe the state governments should only subsidise education, health care for indigenes or non-indigenes who pay tax to the state government.

Please explain to me why Osun state currently running at a 3b deficit should be subsidising the education of someone from Lagos, Enugu or Yobe if they are not contributing to Osun state's purse? It is madness and it is not sustainable. It is all about approach and diplomacy, it won't be a gra gra matter.

As an aside, I think our politicians need to find a way to reach the masses; make them feel like they are stakeholders in your government and that you understand their problems, let them understand the challenges facing the government; their plans to tackle them and how it will benefit their respective communities. If their intentions are truly honourable, they will have the support of the people e.g. Aregbesola.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by PrincessJaneDoe: 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

With the recurrent expenditure that's already running these states into the ground - how are you going to finance state policing?

The transition from national policing to state policing would be a well planned and gradual process if it were to ever happen.

The federal government currently has a budget allocated to defence and security. A portion of this goes into the police force and I would not expect this to stop simply because it is now managed at state level.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2015
I'm enjoying the contributions. Interesting.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by DeLaRue: 8:53pm On Nov 15, 2015
PrincessJaneDoe:

The federal government currently has a budget allocated to defence and security. A portion of this goes into the police force and I would not expect this to stop simply because it is now managed at state level.

I dont see how State Policing can work effectively in the current failed arrangement. For it to work, it requires a degree of policitical and systemic maturity which are totally absent right now.

If someone commits a crime in Lagos and flees to his State in the East. Do you genuinely believe the State police authority in the other State will help with investigation and repartriation of the alleged offender in th current atmosphere of tribal suspicions and mistrust? I dont think so.

Besides, I just don't see the introduction of State police as an immediate necessity to fixing this country.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 8:57pm On Nov 15, 2015
IyaIode:

Lagos chose to fight for special allocation over regionalism. Ondo didn't want to lose its own
Yeah, i know. I followed the last Confab. The Lamido of Adamawa was the only one that made a proposal for secession. He demanded that Nigeria grant his domain the permission to join their Adamawa kinsfolk in Cameroon
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 8:59pm On Nov 15, 2015
DeLaRue:

I dont see how State Policing can work effectively in the current failed arrangement. For it to work, it requires a degree of policitical and systemic maturity which are totally absent right now.

If someone commits a crime in Lagos and flees to his State in the East. Do you genuinely believe the State police authority in the other State will help with investigation and repartriation of the alleged offender in th current atmosphere of tribal suspicions and mistrust? I dont think so.

Besides, I just don't see the introduction of State police as an immediate necessity to fixing this country.

I agree

In addition, The State Police becomes the private army of whoever the governor/godfather is.

Again, I go back to my earlier point about leadership, no matter how noble or lofty an idea is, bad managers will implement it badly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2015
Firefire:

You dey mind our people, the elders warned against this unholy alliance and misleading, won ni enu awon agba un run.

Time will tell...
What is this?Are you(politicians) trying to hijack this thread?We were celebrating everything Yoruba until we got to this sore point of 5 SW states being the highest debtors in Nigeria.Pls,stop this bickerings and face the facts that our politicians,PDP and APC ,have failed us.NOW...PLS,LET US PROFFER SOLUTION SO THAT WE CAN MOVE FORWARD...
Gbawe,anonimi,firefire,iyalode,modath etc. CC.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 15, 2015
Qelvin:

No name in Western Nigeria you mean? Cause nobody knows who Tf Awolowo is in other parts of Nigeria.

that's what you think. let me educate you.

in faraway Langtang North LGA of Plateau state where I did my CDS during my NYSC some years back, they still revere him as the man who brought clothes for them cos they were more or less going about unclad. I am talking about the only LGA in Nigeria that has produced the highest number of Generals in the Nigerian army. Go figure.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:08pm On Nov 15, 2015
Qelvin:

Really, lemme ask my igbo brothers in the east.

Many Igbos benefited from Awo's free education.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by oduastates: 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2015
DeLaRue:

All we requires is an autonomous yoruba region or a yoruba country.
Like I said before, give the powers of security to a council of Kings ( it used to be their duty before the Europeans came and it was good ) and turn the positions of administrator ( no governor, prime minister or president title) into an unattractive role.
No convoys, no grace and favour houses or guest houses all over the place, electronic voting and reporting.
Once you demystify those positions, the nobodies who are currently wrecking havoc will stop trooping into politics.
I think Awo addressed this issue in his thoughts on the Nigerian constitution.
Many politicians develop inflated egos once they mount the saddle of political office.
The only way to demystify them is to strip them of those ego boosting veneer of being someone more important and the paraphernalia of office.
Having said that, you have still have to consider the shark infested waters of the Nigerian country.
Asking the politicians holding the forth to unilaterally disarm,by pretending to be in a normal country, is asking too much.
There is no doubt in my mind that tax-free payers money was used to execute partisan elections and all of the SW politicians have engaged in acts which would be considered acts of corruption elsewhere,or at other times in the history of the homeland.
I guess this is the price we have to pay for remaining as part of the country.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Qelvin(m): 9:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
IlekeHD:

and far more accomplished Igbo scholars benefited from the East so what's your point?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:28pm On Nov 15, 2015
Qelvin:

and far more accomplished Igbo scholars benefited from the East so what's your point?

Now that's false. Many of your people went to Unis in the SW and benefitted from the US/UK. Even Chinuah Achebe went to UI.

My last response. I will not taint this thread.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:33pm On Nov 15, 2015
IlekeHD:

A lot of those clowns were crossing from Onitsha into Asaba on a daily basis, to take benefit of the free education for them to go to school.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2015
superstar1:

A lot of those clowns were crossing from Onitsha into Asaba on a daily basis, to take benefit of the free education for them to go to school.

One can truly say Awo's free education civilized the igbo nation.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Qelvin(m): 9:36pm On Nov 15, 2015
IlekeHD:

Now that's false. Many of your people went to Unis in the SW and benefitted from the US/UK. Even Chinuah Achebe went to UI.

My last response. I will not taint this thread.
ever heard of Federal Government College Umuahia and even CKC in Aba that produced stalwarts like Chike Obi,Christopher Okigbo,Eni Njoku,even the popular poet JP Clark? omo park well jare
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:39pm On Nov 15, 2015
IlekeHD:

One can truly say Awo's free education civilized the igbo nation.

Abeg abeg abeg just ignore that ignoramus. Giving him attention will be making him feel cool.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:45pm On Nov 15, 2015
DeLaRue:

During the last Governorship election 2 years ago, both Mimiko and the Akeredolu were throwing spats at each other about which of them is the true touch bearer of Awo. And Mimiko's campaign posters often had Awo's photo in the background.

The question is why are parties in Ondo State still fighting to claim Awo's discipleship almost 50 years after Awo's Regional Government.

Answer: the current system has failed beyond reprieve.

Even in Ibadan.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 11:02pm On Nov 15, 2015
PrincessJaneDoe:

The transition from national policing to state policing would be a well planned and gradual process if it were to ever happen.

I doubt the FG would give a portion of that to state police since there will be need to maintain a police force or an equivalent at the federal level, based on how the country is structured. So it's basically still going to fall on the state. And these states are broke.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Osomalo(m): 11:09pm On Nov 15, 2015
WIZGUY69:

Even in Ibadan.

They should allow Papa Awo to Rest in Peace jare.

Kikida Ole Gbogbo. Bunch of Looters.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:30pm On Nov 15, 2015
[size=14pt]Nigerian Realtor wins U.S award
[/size]

The Managing Broker from Centurion Realty and Estates.Mr. Ola Sanni, has emerged Realtor of the Year” at the 5th Annual Awards Gala hosted by the United States (U.S) Congressman, Danny Davis.

The ceremony was put together by the seventh Congressional District’s Multi Ethnic Advisory Task Force (MEATF) at The Meadows Club in Rolling Meadows, Illinois, Chicago, U.S.

According to Dr. Tapas Dasgupta of The Meadows Club, the “Relator of the Year Award” is bestowed on an individual who has not only excelled in his field, but has also made a difference in people’s lives.

“The Annual Gala showcases our community heroes and reinforces that the various ethnic communities play a significant and integral role in the progress of our society,” Dasgupta said.

MEATF was established in 2010 as a platform to acknowledge and appreciate leaders who are giving back in their respective communities.

Sanni, who entered the American real estate industry in 1994 after his university education at Truman College and University of Illinois at Chicago, in July 1995, won the “Top Listing Award” and ranked among the top sales agents out of 750 sales associates. In April 1997, he broke into the million rank and earned US$1 million month certificate as part of Mattz Group.

Sanni, who hopes to return to his home state, Lagos, to play a part in the socio economic development of the place, however said “America is blessed with tons of talents and I believe I can better utilise all my trainings and expertise to help my people. The problem with Nigeria is not corruption but leadership. If you eradicate corruption without good leaders, you are just scratching the surface. My generation has what it takes to move Nigeria to the next level,” he said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigerian-realtor-wins-u-s-award/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 11:54pm On Nov 15, 2015
Osomalo:

They should allow Papa Awo to Rest in Peace jare.

Kikida Ole Gbogbo. Bunch of Looters.

Lol. cheesy

It's still part of campaign strategy.
Who doesn't want to associate with Good? cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:02am On Nov 16, 2015
IlekeHD/ Ibebe/ Ilekeh

Time to dance. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ-_HIoEBE8
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:08am On Nov 16, 2015
Shymm3x:
IlekeHD/ Ibebe/ Ilekeh
Time to dance. grin

[img]http://soepic.pl/stor/items/0b7d33bbcfc8dd807.gif[/img]
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Shymm3x: 12:11am On Nov 16, 2015
IlekeHD:

[img]http://soepic.pl/stor/items/0b7d33bbcfc8dd807.gif[/img]

Where's aareonkakanfo? - we need him here.

Seee Gobeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Girl, ya behind is a killllerrrrr!! shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFDu6ACKLKo

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.