Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,500 members, 7,854,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:16 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (676053 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 6:48pm On Oct 24, 2015
asha80:
nothing to gain if he is Igbo..unlike all other ones you posted that have Yoruba names whether as first,second or last names or where it was mentioned that his father is from Yoruba tribe in Nigeria nothing shows about this guy's descent from any particular Nigerian group

Okay. He's Igbo.

Are you happy now?

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 6:48pm On Oct 24, 2015
I need to move to music.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SUBWAY101(m): 6:51pm On Oct 24, 2015
asha80:
[url][/url]nothing shows this guy has Yoruba lineage

Please face your anambra thread and stop looking for trouble everywhere. We appreciate you.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 6:51pm On Oct 24, 2015
@ Aareonakakanfo, this your initiative on our much cherished heritage must be sustained.

I hope we can open another thread soon to ask our leaders meaningful questions on developmental projects and governance across South West.

Ise lu, ajumose gbogbo wa ni.

Odua a gbe wa ooo

Shalom! tongue

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 6:54pm On Oct 24, 2015
Helen Folasade Adu

[img]http://in1.ccio.co/D1/wF/5A/63894888433152222nyZdZT1dc.jpg[/img]

Helen Folasade Adu was born in Ibadan, Nigeria. Her father was Nigerian, a university teacher of economics; her mother Anne was an English nurse. The couple met in London while he was studying at the LSE and moved to Nigeria shortly after getting married. When their daughter was born, nobody locally was prepared to call her by her English name, and a shortened version of Folasade stuck. Then, when she was four, her parents separated, and her mother brought Sade and her elder brother Banji back to England, where they initially lived with their grandparents just outside Colchester, Essex.

She listened to American soul music, particularly the wave led in the 1970's by artists such as Curtis Mayfield, Donny Hathaway, and Bill Withers. As a teenager, she saw the Jackson 5 at the Rainbow theatre in Finsbury Park, where she worked behind the bar at weekends. "I was more fascinated by the audience than by anything that was going on on the stage. They'd attracted kids, mothers with children, old people, white, black. I was really moved. That's the audience I've always aimed for."

Music was not her first choice as a career. She studied fashion at St Martin's School Of Art and only began singing after two old school friends with a fledgling group approached her to help them out with the vocals.

Somewhat to her surprise, she found that while the singing made her nervous, she enjoyed writing songs. Two years later she had overcome her stage fright and was regularly singing back up with a North London Latin funk band called Pride. "I used to get on stage with Pride, like, shaking. I was terrified. But I was determined to try my best, and I decided that if I was going to sing, I would sing the way I speak, because it's important to be yourself."

Sade served a long apprenticeship on the road with Pride. For three years, from 1981, she and the other seven members of the band toured the UK, often with her driving. Pride's shows featured a segment in which Sade fronted a quartet that played quieter, jazzier numbers. One of these, a song called Smooth Operator, which Sade had co-written herself, attracted the attention of record company talent scouts. Soon, everybody wanted to sign her, but not the rest of Pride. Obstinately loyal to her friends in the group, Sade refused to depart. 18 months later she relented and signed to Epic records - on condition that she took with her the three band mates who still comprise the entity known as Sade: saxophonist Stuart Matthewman, keyboard player Andrew Hale, and bassist Paul Denman.

Sade's first single, Your Love Is King, became a top 10 British hit in February 1984, and with that her life, and that of the band, changed forever. The unstressed, understated elegance of the music in conjunction with her look - unspecifically exotic and effortlessly sophisticated - launched Sade as the female face of the style decade. Magazines queued to put her on the cover. "It wasn't marketing," she says, wearily. "It was just me. And I wasn't trying to promote an image."

At the time of her first album, Diamond Life, her actual life was anything but diamond-like. Sade was living in a converted fire station in Finsbury Park with her then boyfriend, the style journalist Robert Elms. There was no heating, which meant that she had to get dressed in bed. The loo, which used to ice over in winter, was on the fire escape. The bath was in the kitchen. "We were freezing, basically." For the remainder of the 1980's, as the first three albums sold by the million around the world, Sade toured more or less constantly. For her this remains a point of principle. "If you just do TV or video then you become a tool of the record industry. All you're doing is selling a product. It's when I get on stage with the band and we play that I know that people love the music. I can feel it. Sometimes I yearn to be on the road. The feeling overwhelms me."
Intrusive media interest in her private life has inspired a continuing reluctance on her part to participate in the promotional game. Having been travestied in print on many occasions, Sade rarely gives interviews. "It's terrible this Fleet Street mentality that if something seems simple and easy, there must be something funny going on."

For most of the past 20 years, Sade has prioritised her personal life over her professional career, releasing only three studio albums of new material during that period. Her marriage to the Spanish film director Carlos Scola Pliego in 1989; the birth of her daughter in 1996 and her early 21st century move from North London to rural Gloucestershire, where she now lives with a new partner, have consumed much of her time and attention. And quite rightly so. "You can only grow as an artist as long as you allow yourself the time to grow as a person," Sade says. "We're all parents, our lives have all moved on. I couldn't have made Soldier of Love any time before now, and though it's been a long wait for the fans - and I am sorry about that - I'm incredibly proud of it."

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by asha80(m): 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2015
SUBWAY101:

Please face your anambra thread and stop looking for trouble everywhere. We appreciate you.
yawn
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SUBWAY101(m): 6:57pm On Oct 24, 2015
asha80:
nothing to gain if he is Igbo..unlike all other ones you posted that have Yoruba names whether as first,second or last names or where it was mentioned that his father is from Yoruba tribe in Nigeria nothing shows about this guy's descent from any particular Nigerian group

Okay, we don hear you.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by DrMoffy(m): 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2015
Firefire:
DrMoffy, eku ise ilu ooo, adura gbogbo wa a gba a ni se lasan, ile karo ojire oni ba je ooo

Awon alale ile Odua a gbe wa ooo. Ase!

Ase o ooo boda mi, ajuwa se lase Edumare. totun tosi leyele fi n kore dele, asejere, atajere, a ma kore oko dele ooo. we need love and unity to unlock hidden virtues in Yorubaland. May God give us courage, cooperation, and understanding to achieve so much more. we also need to get rid of intellectual laziness affecting d continent as a whole.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 24, 2015
The romanis are here to do what they know how to do best.Good! OAM4J and Afam4eva, please help us do the needful

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
There are a lot of Yorubas in sports .It would have made a lot of sense for us to tempt them back home but we don't even do most of those sports

I think there's a misconception that Yorubas aren't good in sports.

I remember during the last world cup - some clown was telling me that Yorubas can't play football. That ish cracked me up.

I don't think Nigeria as a country has ever produced a footballer as good as David Alaba and there was a time when Obafemi Martins was top-5 youngest footballers on the planet on all ratings (I remember that vividly when he was at Inter Milan, playing with Vieri). A feat no Nigerian player has ever achieved.

It's just about investing in sports - Yorubas are talented in so many areas.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2015
Oops, I forgot to include Matthew Olosunde.

Matthew Olosunde

Manchester United hand trial to New York Red Bulls youngster Matthew Olosunde

Manchester United have handed a trial to young American defender Matthew Olosunde, according to a report in the Daily Mail.

The 16-year-old, who is part of the New York Red Bulls franchise in the MLS, has attracted interest from the Red Devils, who are on a pre-season tour of the United States.

Olosunde, who was born in Trenton, New Jersey, has been part of the US junior squads since he was 13. The report said the young defender will be a part of the USSA U17 team, which has qualified for the U17 World Cup to be played in Chile in October this year.

The young American defender can operate at either right-back or centre-back, and is training with United, hoping to impress the Red Devils coaches during his spell with the club.

Louis van Gaal has actively strengthened the United youth set-up since he took over last summer, while he continues to focus on bringing the senior squad back to winning ways in the Premier League. He has signed Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Sadiq El Fitouri and Vanja Milinkovic-Savic during the past year and recently handed a trial to Mason Holgate, a young defender from Barnsley.

Meanwhile, new signing Memphis Depay, who made his debut for United in their recent game in the International Champions' Cup, has expressed his delight at scoring his first goal for the 20-time English champions. He believes it is a first of many, as he looks to get settled at the club sooner rather than later.

"It's a great feeling. I'm a striker or attacking midfielder, so it's always nice to score goals and give assists. Today was my first one and, I think, the first of many, so I keep working on it," the Dutch forward told United's official site.

"Of course, it was a mistake by the defender but Wayne [Rooney] was putting pressure on him [Jean-Baptiste Pierazzi] so he made the mistake. I was reading the situation. I already thought, like gambling, that he was going to lose the ball so I was there and made my first goal," he added

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2015
Good afternoon y'all grin

@Shymmex,

lol that dude is just trying to annoy you, truss me grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:27pm On Oct 24, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2015
SirShymexx:

I think there's a misconception that Yorubas aren't good in sports.

I remember during the last world cup - some clown was telling me that Yorubas can't play football. That ish cracked me up.

I don't think Nigeria as a country has ever produced a footballer as good as David Alaba and there was a time when Obafemi Martins was top-5 youngest footballers on the planet on all ratings (I remember that vividly when he was at Inter Milan, playing with Vieri). A feat no Nigerian player has ever achieved.

It's just about investing in sports - Yorubas in talented in so many areas.

FACT! I agree there are a lot of Yorubas who have the potentials to do well in sports.Tribalism and maybe money are the reasons why the Yorubas in Nigeria are not doing well in sports.If you notice, all the names you profiled are all Yorubas who grew up in jand.As per the emboldened,that's debateable.Nigeria hasn't produced anyone as "successful" as Alaba is more apt

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2015
Wale Folarin

Olubowale Victor Akintimehin (born September 21, 1984), better known by his stage name Wale, is an American rapper from Washington, Dc He rose to prominence in 2006, when his song "Dig Dug (Shake It)" became popular in his hometown. Wale became locally recognized and continued recording music for the regional audience. Producer Mark Ronson discovered Wale in 2006 and signed him to Allido Records in 2007. While signed to that label, Wale released several mixtapes and appeared in national media including MTV and various Black-American-focused magazines. A song called "Ridin' In That Black Joint" was featured in the popular video game Saints Row 2's soundtrack in 2008.

In 2008, Wale signed with Interscope Records for $1.3 million, and his debut album Attention Deficit was released in 2009 with the singles "Chillin", "Pretty Girls", and "World Tour". The album, although under-shipped, received positive reviews from critics. In early 2011, Wale signed with Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group, where members of the label released a compilation album, Self Made Vol. 1 on May 23, 2011. His second studio album, Ambition was released November 1, 2011, with mixed reviews. His third studio album, The Gifted, was released on June 25, 2013, to mainly positive reviews; it debuted at number 1 on the Billboard 200.

Wale, a Nigerian American, was born Olubowale Victor Akintimehin in Northwest, Washington, D.C. on September 21, 1984. His parents are of the Yoruba ethnic group of southwestern Nigeria and came to the United States from Austria in 1979. Wale's family first lived in Northwest, Washington, DC before moving to Montgomery County when Wale was 10. He graduated from Quince Orchard High School in Gaithersburg, Maryland in 2002 and later moved to Largo, Maryland in Prince George's County. Wale attended Robert Morris University and Virginia State University on football scholarships, then transferred to Bowie State University but dropped out due to academic reasons. Wale's love of the game of football and the Washington Redskins has led to a longstanding rumor that Wale had a tattoo of tight end Chris Cooley. He is the cousin of actor Gbenga Akinnagbe, best known as Chris Partlow on HBO's The Wire.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2015
tpiah11:

OIC as in Organization of Islamic Countries?
Anyway, I don't seem to be following the op's train of thought.
Did he just refer me to a facebook page as backup for the thread?

grin

odua investment company"

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

FACT! I agree there are a lot of Yorubas who have the potentials to do well in sports.Tribalism and maybe money are the reasons why the Yorubas in Nigeria are not doing well in sports.If you notice, all the names you profiled are all Yorubas who grew up in jand.As per the emboldened,that's debateable.Nigeria hasn't produced anyone as "successful" as Alaba is more apt

Lol.

Maybe Nigeria just prefers players who play like farmers, to the ones who have high IQ and play with finesse. grin

Alaba wanted to play for Nigeria and apparently his dad took him there, but they rejected the guy smh.

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:34pm On Oct 24, 2015

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 7:34pm On Oct 24, 2015

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2015
IlekeHD:
Good afternoon y'all grin

@Shymmex,

lol that dude is just trying to annoy you, truss me grin

I saw the mind games, hence I left the thread. grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by totit: 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2015
OK grin

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2015
lool @ the cute bowlegs

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2015
Seal

Henry Olusegun Adeola Samuel (born 19 February 1963), better known by his stage name Seal, is a British soul and R&B singer and songwriter. He has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide and is known for his numerous international hits, including "Kiss from a Rose", which appeared on the soundtrack to the 1995 film Batman Forever. He was a coach on The Voice Australia in 2012 and 2013.

Seal has won numerous music awards throughout his career, including three Brit Awards—winning Best British Male in 1992, four Grammy Awards, and an MTV Video Music Award. As a songwriter, he received the British Academy's Ivor Novello Award, for Best Song Musically and Lyrically, in consecutive years for "Killer" (1990) and "Crazy" (1991).

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2015
Anyone that posts Ekiti airport's ongoing projects here shall be visited by Sango himself. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:40pm On Oct 24, 2015
Tunde Baiyewu

[img]http://3.bp..com/_u3lFqBksmrE/Rf-RrHAZ6hI/AAAAAAAABwg/cE03VM5LVSw/s400/00.jpg[/img]

Tunde Baiyewu (born Babatunde Emanuel Baiyewu, 25 November 1968) is a British singer of Nigerian descent and is a member of the easy listening duo, Lighthouse Family. In 2004 he embarked on a solo career, releasing the album Tunde, and in 2013 released his second album, Diamond in a Rock.

Tunde Baiyewu was born in London, but moved to Nigeria at the age of five after the death of his father. Ten years later he returned to Britain, attending the University of Northumbria in Newcastle upon Tyne, and obtained a degree in accounting. He subsequently met Paul Tucker who was also studying at Northumbria University and was working at the same bar as Tunde – their partnership began and they formed Lighthouse Family.

In 2005, he appeared on the BBC Television one-off special, Strictly African Dancing. He came last, but he learned the Bata dance in the process.

On 12 November 2006, Baiyewu appeared in an ITV documentary called Faith in Music. This documentary charted his life and music, from his roots in Africa, through Lighthouse Family and into his current solo incarnation. It also showed him performing an acoustic set featuring tracks from his latest album.

In January 2007, Baiyewu held his first tour in over four years (the last time being with Lighthouse Family). He did four concerts from 13 to 16 January 2007 in Edinburgh, Manchester, Wolverhampton and London respectively. He combined his solo material with Lighthouse Family hits and dedicated each and every song to his nephew Funto.

Baiyewu released his second solo album, Diamond In A Rock, in the UK on 4 March 2013.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 24, 2015
IlekeHD:
lool @ the cute bowlegs

grin grin cheesy That girl go sabi play free-kick ddie. It will straighten out before she probably clocks 10

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2015
will be back with more Yoruba awesomeness later

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2015
Ade Bantu

Adegoke Odukoya, better known as Adé Bantu (born 13 July 1971 in Wembley, London), is a Nigerian-German musician, producer and activist. He is best known as the founder of the Afro-German musical collective and NGO Brothers Keepers and as the front man of the 12 piece band Bantu[2] He received the Kora Award (the Pan-African equivalent of the Grammy) for his album "Fuji Satisfaction" in 2005.

Adé Bantu was born in Wembley, London. He is biracial, being the son of a German mother and a Nigerian father. In 1973 he relocated to Lagos, Nigeria with his parents Adeleke Odukoya and Barbara Odukoya. After the death of his father in 1986 he moved with his mother and 3 siblings to Germany.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2015
The Ade bantu guy use to be on dreadlocks before.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:48pm On Oct 24, 2015
Skepta

Joseph Junior Adenuga (born 19 September 1982, in Tottenham, London), better known by his stage name Skepta, is an English rapper, grime artist, songwriter and record producer of Nigerian descent.[1] He is most commonly known for releasing grime music. He released his debut studio album Greatest Hits in late 2007 and his second, Microphone Champion in 2009, both independently, while his third studio album Doin' It Again was released in 2011 by 3 Beat Records. His fourth studio album, Konnichiwa, is expected to be released in late 2015.

Skepta was originally a DJ from Tottenham-based grime crew Meridian Crew, early in his career Skepta released a number of instrumentals the most notable of which were "DTI (Pirate Station Anthem)" and "Private Caller", the latter of which was released as a single and vocaled by various other members of Meridian Crew. Skepta began emceeing shortly before Meridian Crew disbanded in 2005, after which Skepta, alongside his brother JME, joined Roll Deep for a short period of time before becoming founding members of Boy Better Know in 2006. In 2006 he clashed Devilman for the DVD Lord of the Mics 2 in what is remembered as one of the biggest grime clashes.This clash created a long running dispute between the two MCs culminating in war dubs being exchanged in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by SirShymexx: 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2015
Taio Cruz

[img]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nivea+Times+Square+Alliance+Unveil+Exclusive+DQ6jvo5zHhzl.jpg[/img]

Jacob Taio Cruz (born 23 April 1985), best known by his stage name Taio Cruz, is a British singer, songwriter, record producer, rapper, and entrepreneur.In 2008, he released his debut album Departure, which he wrote, arranged and produced himself. It achieved initial success in the United Kingdom and earned him a MOBO Award nomination.

In October 2009, Cruz released his follow-up album Rokstarr, which includes the number one singles "Break Your Heart" and "Dynamite". Cruz has collaborated with Kesha and Fabolous on the single "Dirty Picture", as well as Kylie Minogue and Travie McCoy on his single "Higher". Additionally, Cruz penned and recorded the song "Telling the World" as the lead single from the soundtrack to the 2011 animated film Rio. Cruz's third studio album, TY.O, was first released in Germany in December 2011. In 2012, Cruz co-wrote the David Guetta song "Without You". In April 2015, Cruz released the first single, "Do What You Like" from his forthcoming Roses Collection.

Cruz was born in London, to a Nigerian father and a Brazilian mother. He attended Bilton Grange, a private prep school in Rugby, Warwickshire, and Christ's Hospital, a boarding school in Horsham, West Sussex.

Cruz began writing songs when he was 12. His songwriting career began at age 19 as part of Tricky Stewart's writing collective, RedZone Entertainment. Cruz achieved notability in 2005 when he was awarded a Brit Award for co-writing Will Young's 2004 single, "Your Game".

Cruz is the founder and chief executive of Rokstarr Music London, which in 2006 released his debut single "I Just Wanna Know". The single attracted significant attention from radio, and also from music industry insiders, who were already well aware of the artist's potential; manager Jamie Binns, who began representing Cruz at this time, later told HitQuarters: "He was a guy that everyone had earmarked to do damage in the future". Although the single received a reasonable amount of radio airplay, it did not perform as well as expected in either territory.However, rather than lose faith in Cruz, the labels were eager to negotiate an album deal, as by this time they had listened to his other songs and were ever more convinced by his capability.

Cruz's admirers included Island Records's Darcus Beese and Monte Lipman, who, according to Binns, "both believed 'I Just Wanna Know' fitted the format on both sides of the Atlantic". In 2006, Cruz signed a split single deal with Universal Music Group companies, Republic Records and the UK branch of Island Records.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.