Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,708 members, 7,820,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (88) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (670059 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 4:43pm On Oct 30, 2015
Musiwa419:
You see, thats one of the reasons why i dont applaud some of the policy/projects of ACN/APC in Lagos state. I have nothing against the Eko Atlantic Project but i feel the timing is wrong. Do we need such a gargantuan project now? Insted of building skyscrappers in the middle of the sea why dont we construct a 4th Mainland Bridge which would link Lagos Island to Ikorodu thereby reducing the traffic congestion in greater Lagos considerably. I am of the opinion that the funds pumped into the Eko Atlantic Project thus far should have been used for the construction of a 4th Mainland Bridge

Gbam! Gbam!! You talk am well! cheesy Even those living along the Lekki-Ajah expressway experience the same problem. If you live in Sangotedo or Awoyaya or Badore, and you are not on the road by 5a.m, you cannot get to Victoria Island by 8a.m. Am not kidding.

The traffic at Ajah roundabout would short-circuit your system if you are not careful. The design for that expressway, failed to factor in overhead bridges or flyovers, that would have enhanced movement on that road. So each of the roundabouts on that road, have become 'circles of commotion', and 'traffic generators' for commuters. sad

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2015
marioking:

Mi o le so toripe ise apoogun oyinbo ni mo n se ati wipe ko jeki n raye lati ma rinrinaajo ni gbogbo igba. Sugbon mo ma so fun Ore mi kan ko ya awon aworan naa ranse simi.

Oh that would be awesome! So fun pe ko ya aworan ni Ado at awon abule na.

I miss the mountain view and the rich forestry. Take pictures of the roads between villages too.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

I would have wanted you to show us what this road looks like but then again make we no spoil the thread with dirty picture cheesy cheesy.Do you reside in Ogun state?
I reside in both states
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 30, 2015
Musiwa419:
I reside in both states

Nice! can you please feed us with the developments going on there?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 30, 2015
IlekeHD:

It has to be Fayemi. Fayose is so useless Ifa would be disappointed in him.

grin To be realistic my sister, Fayose is not that bad. He is in-fact the architect of modern Ekiti state. He laid some blueprint in his first tenure which are still what they are following till date.
My only problem with him is showing off and his diarrhea mouth grin.
He works within a meager allocation compare to other SW states for example now, Ekiti State Allocation for October, 2015

1. Gross Statutory Allocation - N1,810,017,817.68

2. Total deduction - N883,008,554.30

3. Net Statutory Allocation - N927,009,263.38.

4. VAT - N519, 646,358.65
5. Exchange Gain - N29, 090,272.59

6. Total Allocation Received in October - N1,475,745,894.62

7. Total Allocation Received in September - N2,044,365,970.16

NOTE:
Shortfall of N568.62 million if October allocation of N1,475,745,894.62 is compared with September allocation of N2,044,365,970.16.

#LOCAL GOVT.
Net Allocation - N1,360,296,974.78

Shortfall of about N148.99 million when compared with what was received in September.
You can now see that he is somehow incapacitated in some ways.

If only he can invest heavily in agriculture coupled with mining of natural resources then Ekiti can really be a force to reckon with soon.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
This thread is specifically for any positives coming from Yorubaland, how to move the region forward, the Yoruba diaspora and Yoruba success stories in general so we can discuss.Please lets endeavour to keep up this page.
What of "One Nigeria" development/success stories?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
IlekeHD:

Oh that would be awesome! So fun pe ko ya aworan ni Ado at awon abule na.

I miss the mountain view and the rich forestry. Take pictures of the roads between villages too.

Ma gbiyanju ma
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
@forgiveness Lol i don't want to risk replying you in Yoruba again.I've failed thrice with my account getting banned. cheesy But anyways hopefully if this account doesn't get banned today again, i will mention you for the Yoruba hour

@Orlandoowoh the same thing.I responded to you in Yoruba and got banned cheesy but i agree with you though on those names you mentioned.The reason why we didn't profile them is because we decided to cut it down a little bit and talk more about development.If you have their biographies, you can post them here
OK.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 30, 2015
Please i beg you all not to respond to the romani above
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by hinohsend: 4:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
imhotep:

What of "One Nigeria" development/success stories?

One nigeria success stories are discussed every day on various nairaland threads ,so would you kindly exit.Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 4:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Even though there are numerous challenges facing the south-west, I believe these are the most important ones we need to deal with

Fulani herdsmen attack

Ilegal mining

Rape

Bad roads

Armed robbery

Youth unemployment

Kidnapping

Getting rid of these 7 issues is very important

in addition to your list. We really need to quicky address the mencae of land speculators a.k.a Ajagungbale. There is also an upsurge in the activities of Oil Bunkers and pirates in the creeks and water ways of Ikorodu and Arepo. We need to quickly nip these security challenges in the bud before they blow on our faces

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by veraponpo(m): 4:54pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

They didn't give reasons why my account was banned.I never broke any rule,Its just the spambot thing and it all happened after i typed in Yoruba

I was banned too.

I believe the ban was just lifted. The reason is unknown to me. That is why I just stopped contributing.

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 4:57pm On Oct 30, 2015
marioking:

Ma gbiyanju ma

wink
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 5:01pm On Oct 30, 2015
Musiwa419:
You see, thats one of the reasons why i dont applaud some of the policy/projects of ACN/APC in Lagos state. I have nothing against the Eko Atlantic Project but i feel the timing is wrong. Do we need such a gargantuan project now? Insted of building skyscrappers in the middle of the sea why dont we construct a 4th Mainland Bridge which would link Lagos Island to Ikorodu thereby reducing the traffic congestion in greater Lagos considerably. I am of the opinion that the funds pumped into the Eko Atlantic Project thus far should have been used for the construction of a 4th Mainland Bridge

The project is a PPP project with the private sector providing the funding and manpower. So I don't see how 'timing' comes into this. Lagos has a stock of projects it tries to interest the private sector in funding. The private sector partners, in turn, are fully entitled to choose the project they want to partner the public sector to deliver. If the private sector were to partner Lagos to build a fourth Mainland bridge then they would undoubtedly ask for a BOT concession (Build operate and transfer) or similar that would mean the bridge would be tolled. This will lead to more noise of Lagos is "run for the elite alone". Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of the fourth mainland bridge but funding and engineering challenges remains a problem. I can only hope something can be worked out now that Lagos is officially a State, for the first time since 1999, under the control of the ruling party.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/08/uncertainty-hangs-over-lagos-4th-mainland-bridge-project/

Uncertainty hangs over Lagos’ 4th Mainland bridge project
By Tunde Alao on August 3, 2015 12:32 am

GIVEN the reality on ground, cloud of uncertainty hangs over the proposed take off and execution of an ambitious, but desirable infrastructural project in Lagos State, the 4th Mainland Bridge.

But, the project may not be an elephant one, afterall, if the state re-strategies and secures sustainable financing for the infrastructural project.

However, feelers within the Lagos State Government, the project promoters, point to some reasons while the 4th Mainland Bridge may be far from actualization in the nearest future. To wit, experts have given suggestions on how to kick-start and deliver the project.

[size=14pt]Among the options is the need to seek assistance of the Federal Government, through the intervention of the National Assembly, to grant Lagos a special status, with the corresponding budget. Second, it was suggested that Lagos should redefine its private public partnership (PPP), policy in a way that investors would be attracted to embrace the project.[/size]

Although, to engineers, the situations on ground may not favour commencement of the project in a hurry, owing to some identified factors.

One, the terrain slated for the project required extensive impact assessment of the environment. This, according to the Deputy President, Nigerian Institution of Structural Engineers, Dr. Ore Fadayomi, is necessary to determine the cost implication of the project. Besides, Fadayomi noted that if the 4th mainland bridge is a priority and that Lagos cannot shoulder it, “then, it is incumbent on the Federal Government to render the necessary assistance. This is in view of strategic importance of Lagos to the Nigeria economy”.

He was of the opinion that the project is achievable, only if the necessary things are done. “In this case, the necessary things include getting competent hands to do the feasibility studies, provide policy statement that would be transparent so that investors’ confidence would be aroused.”

Dr. Isaac Akhiije, of the Department of Civil and Environment Engineering, University of Lagos, while reacting to the problems associating with staggering of project, noted that three indices stand out, namely: performance, time and money.

Akhiije, while reacting to the spate of work on Ibadan-Ilorin expressway stated that the three indices are applicable to every road construction. “By extension if a project was designed to cover route A, B, C, D and by implication, there is a stop work, then one would expect variation against the initial proposal that may affect time, performance and cost”.

By implication, if the 4th mainland bridge is embarked upon and could not be completed as originally planned, it may create unforeseen problem of “abandoned project”.

However, the option of seeking Federal assistance was informed by the position of the Federal Government, as stated by the immediate past Minister of Works, Mike Onolememen, who, barely some months before the expiration of the last administration, said the Economic Management Implementation Team (EMIT), received a proposal from a Chinese company responsible for the development of the deep sea in Lekki area for the construction of an access road to link the Lekki Free Trade Zone and that EMIT had insisted that such must incorporate the bridge.

He said, “Many people are not aware that the Federal Ministry of Works conceived and designed the second Lagos outer ring road, section one of which will take off around Apapa/Tin Can Island area through Igando, across the Abeokuta-Ota road to empty into the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

The reason for this project is to permanently solve the nagging traffic problem on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway by providing a veritable alternative, especially for trucks leaving the ports and heading for other parts of the country without constituting a nuisance to Lagos residents.

The second section of the road will take off from the Lekki area, all the way to Ikorodu on the alignment of the so-called Fourth Mainland Bridge.

And only recently, the Economic Management Implementation Team received a proposal from the Chinese company responsible for the development of the deepsea port of the Lekki Free Trade Zone for government support to have an access road that will link the Lekki Free Trade Zone.

When we reviewed the proposal, the issue of the bridge was raised and we insisted that the package must necessarily include the Fourth Mainland Bridge that will link Lekki directly with Ikorodu, a statement that observers are to see how feasible it is.

However, the much-publicized plans for the construction of bridge that have been considered as a project capable of providing a sustainable solution to the perennial traffic bottleneck in Lagos and enhance economic development may have to wait much longer than envisaged if the feelers from government officials are anything to go by.

Two factors stand against any hope of actualizing the dream in the nearest future, namely: funding and government’s policy on private sector’s participation on project executions.

According to The Guardian’s sources, Lagos government is not in position to embark on the project for now, in view of some fundamental factors. The first factor has to do with two major road projects the state has embarked upon and are yet to fully complete.

One is the Orile-Badagry expressway that is yet to get to an appreciable level and the second is the Ikorodu-Mile 12 road expansion, which, although, is about 80 percent completion, but which loan will take a longer time to be fully offset.

Apart from the project cost, compensation that would due to owners of the properties that may likely be affected was another big issue that required serious consideration.

Government would require up to N10 billion as compensation to house owners at Olokanla, Ajah, whose properties are situated on the way to the bridge head, apart from those along Ikorodu and Ijede, which it was learnt, would gulp over N5 billion, also as compensation.

This excludes other communities that the bridge would traverse”, said the source, saying till date, there still remains scores of people that are yet to receive their compensation along Badagry expressway.

Government would have little or no problem to construct the bridge through the private public participation (PPP) arrangement, [size=14pt]but experience of Lekki-Epe expressway, where tolling has been a contentious issue has already made mess of whatever confidence or enthusiasm investors demonstrated when the last administration mooted the idea”, said the source, who viewed unstable policy as another obstacle to attracts investors.[/size]

Although, it was learnt that government had initially mapped out a plan to solely finance the scheme, if suitable private sector partners could not be found.

As at that time, the search for the concessionaire had assumed a global dimension, after the Singaporean consortium, earlier slated for the project, was found to lack the capacity to execute it. “Indeed, the former Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola and few officials specifically made some trips to Singapore, as that single city nation was adopted as model for a new Lagos megacity development project.

The prospect for the project was however stalled, as the consortium that was initially recommended for the job could not mobilise enough resources for it. “Consequently, the search for a new concessionaire began, with the administration considering proposals from several consortia around the globe, including about three local outfits that were said to have shown interest in the project”.

The state government will not mind to go it alone as the project has become a serious political issue, which may undermine the credibility of the state government, if the scheme fails to take-off during the tenure of the current administration.

I can confirm to you that the state government, under its ‘plan B’ initiative, has started approaching offshore sources for funding, since the project itself has been found financially viable”, the source added.

However, indication that the project would resume under the current administration is quite unrealistic. This is in view of the pronouncement by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, that his administration is committed to the completion of the Badagry expressway in the next one-year.

The project, under its initial public-private partnership arrangement, was scripted to attract tolls for users of the bridge, to, at least, recover costs for its execution.

The immediate past Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, in one of his press briefings, who also made allusion to government’s commitment to the project, described it as “government’s response to the need to create a ring around the state which would allow ease of movement”. According to him, the bridge was the missing link.

He said, “Three alignment options are being proposed for the bridge construction. The options come with its own financial implications and challenge. Bridge component is only about 3.5 kilometres, while the rest are road component.” “For now, most of the preliminary works involving soil test, environment impact assessment, survey of topography and biometric survey have been conducted,” Hamzat, added. 1,526
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 5:03pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Egbon mi, i am not a pessimist o, but make i no lie you, both governors have been a disappointment. There are so so many abandoned projects in Ogun state. I'll only credit Amosun for his drive towards attracting many FDI's to the state. Ambode .. Oh Ambode's five month in office have been dismal
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2015
I still believe the best pounded yam, with bushmeat and criminally cold palm wine, is served in Ekiti!

Some agro-based industrialists have made it possible for the rest of us to enjoy pounded yam, by packaging it in flour form. it is actually close to the real thing, when it is cooked. Has anyone heard of Ayoola Poundo Yam?? It is produced by Ayoola Foods, in Lagos.

HISTORY
Ayoola Foods Ltd was founded by Engr. Segun Emmanuel Olaye, who is the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer. He bagged his Masters Degree at Odessa Engineering Institute in 1984 in the former Soviet Union, now Ukraine. During his six-year stay abroad, he missed a lot of African delicacies which was not available then in Odessa, USSR. This led to conception of Ayoola Foods Ltd in 1991 and was registered as Food processing, Packaging, Marketing and Consulting Company.

The company commenced business with few products, today we have wide range of products which include Poundo Yam, Yam Flour, Cassava Flour, Plantain Flour, Beans Flour, Brown Beans and Cassava Fufu among others. All our products are duly registered by National Agency for Foods and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC).

All our products were initially exported to the U.K, USA, Canada, Australia and other countries. This lasted till July 2004. In August 2004, the company decided to promote its products in domestic market. The introduction of its brand, Ayoola Poundo Yam recorded remarkable success, increasing its market share in subsequent years. The brand has now become a household name in Nigeria.

We are always striving to find new ways to make our products available to prospective and current customers world-wide. Our distributors span across the state of the federation helping to make all our products readily available in all cities across Nigeria. We also have a mutual beneficial relationship with Multinational Supermarket Chains like SHOPRITE SUPERMARKET among others. http://www.ayoolafoodsng.com/about_us.php

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2015
Musiwa419:
Egbon mi, i am not a pessimist o, but make i no lie you, both governors have been a disappointment. There are so so many abandoned projects in Ogun state. I'll only credit Amosun for his drive towards attracting many FDI's to the state. Ambode .. Oh Ambode's five month in office have been dismal

Oga ooo.what of the completed roads? Can you show us unedited pictures of what they look like?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2015
skyline123:

Looking at this thread, I can see a lot of academics. Sure you can find a few who would be willing to do research on best policy practices across the world. Creating a forum for discussing and harvesting ideas would be a good start.
This thread is exactly for that purpose and more.Kudos...
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Musiwa419: 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Oga ooo.what of the completed roads? Can you show us unedited pictures of what they look like?
i am not all that a photo person but i promise to get some pics when i hit the streets one of these days

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2015
Musiwa419:
i am not all that a photo person but i promise to get some pics when i hit the streets one of these days

Yeah that was why i specifically said "unedited".Most of the pictures people post here are photoshopped

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
hinohsend:

One nigeria success stories are discussed every day on various nairaland threads ,so would you kindly exit.Thanks.
You will miss me too much.

Now, back to One Nigeria success stories. . . .where are they?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jstbeinhonest(m): 5:28pm On Oct 30, 2015
The Osun Government and
France have signed an
agreement to build a 35million
Euros (N8 billion) 13 megawatts
solar plant in the state.
France’s Ambassador for Climate
Change, Stephane Gompertz, said
in Abuja on Sunday that the
project was the first of such
magnitude to be signed in
Nigeria.
Mr. Gompertz said the agreement
was signed on Friday by the
Osun Governor, Rauf Aregbesola
and a French company, Vergnet,
adding that France was
supporting Nigeria in the area of
renewable energy.
“As far as new and renewable
energy are concerned, the French
Agency for Development helps
finance through credits, projects
in new and renewable energy.
“On Friday morning, I was with
the French Ambassador in Abuja.
We were received by the
Governor of Osun State. We
signed an agreement with a
French company called Vergnet.
“Vergnet will build a solar plant
of 13 megawatts, which is quite
big for a solar plant. And as far as
I am concerned, this is the first
project of such magnitude to be
signed here in Nigeria.
Pls i really need to know,has Aregbesola paid salaries?

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/191726-osun-french-company-sign-n8-billion-solar-plant-agreement.html

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by itstpia8: 5:29pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

why do you need to know?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 5:35pm On Oct 30, 2015
skyline123:

Looking at this thread, I can see a lot of academics. Sure you can find a few who would be willing to do research on best policy practices across the world. Creating a forum for discussing and harvesting ideas would be a good start.

Indeed ........ and this can eventually transform into an influential pressure group also to present demands to leaders.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by hinohsend: 5:46pm On Oct 30, 2015
itstpia8:

why do you need to know?

Read the title of the thread.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 5:49pm On Oct 30, 2015
hinohsend:

My sister, any ID with tpia in it should be ignored.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by hinohsend: 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2015
IlekeHD:

My sister, any ID with tpia in it should be ignored.

Lol,alryt sis.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 6:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

Spot on !!!! And if you look at lagos itself, you will see so much Tinubu tried to do for lagosians, while fending off the destructive political sabre of OBJ, that show he is a highly underrated and wrongly/falsely maligned leader. I am a lagosian. My interest in politics also means I 'dig' deeper than others to get the true picture pertaining to my state. Tinubu was unlucky to have the menace of OBJ on his back for the 8 years he was governor because the man was simply one of the brightest leaders Nigeria has ever seen and delivering one pioneering idea after the other much like Awolowo.

In fact many Yorubas and non-Yorubas despised Tinubu immensely for his Awo-like brilliance and they were determined to undermine and frustrate him. OBJ, a rabid hater of Awolowo, did his best to ensure Tinubu never shined as Governor of Lagos even as the man was delivering so many fantastic ideas OBJ himself could have used to better Nigeria. Non-Yorubas, seeing Awolowo in Tinubu, quickly moved to portray Tinubu the "most corrupt" and "number 1 enemy of Nigeria" whereas their region parade the most worthlessly destructive and most corrupt politicians Nigeria has like GEJ who did zilch for Bayelsa as governor or President!!!! Reading Nairaland, I see the mischievous demonization of Tinubu has worked to an extent because the hatred many have for him is from reading second-hand and deceptive information mischief-makers and deceitful elements have put out there. Few know of the many achievements of Tinubu as governor that reveals a very brilliant and visionary mind that could have delivered a lot at the centre or even as premier of the SW region.

Not many know that Tinubu is certainly one of the pioneers of the current Lagos transport mix. Rail transport, BRT, construction of roads et al, Tinubu had a hand in birthing them.

His plans for securing independent power supply for Lagos were laudable at a time most politicians were concerned with miring us in darkness so they could profit through a range of practises and businesses that made money from lack of power. I could go on all day but it is for some to go and research Tinubu or even buy and read his book to see that the man is not what they say he is. How many, for example know that Tinubu conceived the idea of the Lekki free trade zone taking in the lekki international airport? I would urge Yorubas to avail themselves of the copious amount of information out there so that we do not allow those envious we have someone they consider Awolowo incarnate, bamboozle us into hating and destroying a man we need far more than he needs us.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/inside-lekki-free-trade-zone/220221/

I must be frank,I don't really like Tinubu maybe mainly because of what I have read about him.But one thing I doff my hat for is his political sagacity and farsighted penetration and judgement of human characters.Think deeply and you would understand what it entails to be a politician in this clime.The real problems of Tinubu are some of his Yoruba folks...Obasanjo,Afenifere etc...remove all the bickerings and we have another Awo in the house...
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by itstpia8: 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
hinohsend:

were you commissioned or paid to start asking such questions?

I dont see how it's your business, care to explain?

if ileke hd is bothered by you not giving her attention, or dividing the attention you are giving her, then open a separate thread for you and her only.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2015
Ritchiee:
I must be frank,I don't really like Tinubu maybe mainly because of what I have read about him.But one thing I doff my hat for is his political sagacity and farsighted penetration and judgement of human characters.

Indeed. I used to dislike him passionately as well but I investigated issues and Lagos politics in depth and noted that majority of the negatives touted about Tinubu are lies of those who fear him or an envious of the man and his natural ability to wield influence and command the respect of his peers.

Think deeply and you would understand what it entails to be a politician in this clime.The real problems of Tinubu are some of his Yoruba folks...Obasanjo,Afenifere etc...remove all the bickerings and we have another Awo in the house...

Correct. I was idealistic in the past. Especially after I returned to Lagos after a stint of many years abroad. Tinubu was Governor then and I disliked him passionately and blamed him for the underdevelopment I saw through Lagos. In fact this is one of the reason I took a deep and passionate interest in politics. I had also become a frequent visitor to Nigeria, i.e three to four visits a year, whereas I stayed away for years in the past. All these, i.e my greater interest in politics combined with my frequent business/personal travels to Lagos, gave me a much better insight and greater grasp of issues. i came to discover that Tinubu was sabotaged a lot by those who feared his success and that of Lagos.

I also realised Tinubu, albeit a progressive variant, is merely a product of his environment. You have to be that, to an extent, to thrive in Nigerian politics. If you do not have that 'political steel' in your armoury then you will need those who do, like Tinubu, to introduce you, work to get you elected and do the dirty/leg work for you. Fashola and even Buhari, to an extent, are beneficiaries of Tinubu's ability to thrive and excel in Nigerian politics. All in all, Tinubu is no worse than any other politician in Nigeria but he is virtually better than most because he still believes in and works for the progress of the people. Without breaking sweat, I can list 20 leaders who took a lot and gave nada in return yet almost all the good development and the most innovative projects witnessed in Lagos today are the brainchild of Tinubu. You are totally correct stating that it is members of his own ethnic group who are some of the biggest detractors of Tinubu and many of us know why they hate the man when they, like Bode George for example, have never done anything useful for their State and people.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Gbawe seems to be close to the guys at the top.Please can you suggest ways on how we can reach them?Our suggestions shouldn't end here

I have politicians in my family and have naturally met others through them. That is how, for example, I met Tinubu and Fashola. it is mainly at functions my family members host or those of others I attend with them. Many political leaders read NL but don't contribute. One of the best way to reach political leaders is to go through their PA or personal assistant. Those guys are very powerful and filter everything on behalf of their boss. If you can reach them with your message then it is likely your message will reach their boss.

Also many diligent politician have personal websites and social media interests that allows you to contact them. Below are the websites of Fashola and Tinubu which provides the option of contacting them. Their PA, or someone specifically paid to do so, reads the email daily and pass 'relevant' ones on to their boss. Another good way would be to organise ourselves formally into a group that can meet and discuss with political leaders on request. There are many associations and interest groups like that but the proviso is that any platform has to be formally convened and organised like the NIDO (Nigerians in disapora organization) for example.

http://www.tundefashola.com/contact/index.html

http://asiwajubolatinubu.com/about/email.html

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gbawe:

I have politicians in my family and have naturally met others through them. That is how, for example, I met Tinubu and Fashola. it is mainly at functions my family members host or those of others I attend with them. Many political leaders read NL but don't contribute. One of the best way to reach political leaders is to go through their PA or personal assistant. Those guys are very powerful and filter everything on behalf of their boss. If you can reach them with your message then it is likely your message will reach their boss.

Also many diligent politician have personal websites and social media interests that allows you to contact them. Below are the websites of Fashola and Tinubu which provides the option of contacting them. Their PA, or someone specifically paid to do so, reads the email daily and pass 'relevant' ones on to their boss.

http://www.tundefashola.com/contact/index.html

http://asiwajubolatinubu.com/about/email.html

Thank you! If you have more or you discover anyone besides these two,please post it.I'll try picking some beautiful ideas here and sending it to them.Ki olorun je ogbo

@the bold, hmmmmn interesting!

(1) (2) (3) ... (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.