Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,928 members, 7,835,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards (26303 Views)

China-Bound Nigerian Arrested With 130ATM Cards Hidden In Noodles (pic) / NDLEA Arrests Drug Baron Shipping $23m Narcotics To S’africa (pictured) / NDLEA Arrests South African-based Nigerian With Drugs (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by sunnyolads1(m): 9:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
Demmocrats:
wink What if at the end there story checks out.

What if at the end the traders gave them those ATM to help them buy stuffs in China.

Have any of you guys done wire transfer from one bank to another and know the percentage you pay those banks.

Those traders might want to bypass that but it would have been better if they all transferred there money in one account with one ATM assigned to the account.
You are right because I myself use to carry about six atms whenever I go to buy cars at Cotonou. I will spread the money into this ATM accounts then go and make withdrawal over there. It makes transaction easier and safe because carrying big money may be dangerous. So it may be that they did similar thing. BTW when did NDLEA turn to anti- money laundering agent?I think they are dealing with Narcotics. Or ATM card has turn to drugs. Lols

6 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by badnature: 9:43pm On Oct 25, 2015
that's idiots called omenankoda is busy scavenging all around trying to see if there will be any legitimacy to the action of NDLEA but the answer is non,February this year in Melbourne airport a Chinese man ahead of me have 120 ATM cards with him but he was not arrested after Interpol run a check on him and all the information he give them correspond with the findings of Interpol,but in Nigeria the moment the see you with more than one ATM cards automatically you become a fraudster,when there is no law in that regard.

3 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 9:43pm On Oct 25, 2015
Obiagu1:

You know circumventing a regulation legally is in itself legal, right?
A crime was not commited here.
The guys are simply being harassed.

They were not found with cash over a stated limit.
Circumventing a regulation is legal?
In this case I do not know whether a crime was committed but I believe there is enough reasoon to arrest and then a determination of whether to charge him to court and then the courts can determine whether a crime was committed.

With regard to regulations . I think it is important to understand what is a "regulation". The government has powers to make laws to give statutory bodies the power to make regulations without additional legislation

examples

authority empowered to set speed limits,parking limits etc
authority empowered to ban items for import etc
authority (in this case) empowered to make regulations about currency
The issue here is CURRENCY not just cash.

authority empowered to declare quarantine etc

Breaching any of these regulations is NOT LEGAL and may even be criminal

What I find striking is your tendency to assert opinions very forcefully without any buttress or intellectual humility. Indeed empty barrels are raucous.

Learn to be humble that is the mark of a true intellectual the converse is equally true

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Obiagu1(m): 9:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
omonnakoda:

In this case I do not know whether a crime was committed but I believe there is enough reasoon to arrest and then a determination of whether to charge him to court and then the courts can determine whether a crime was committed.

With regard to regulations . I think it is important to understand what is a "regulation". The government has powers to make laws to give statutory bodies the power to make regulations without additional legislation

examples

What I find striking is your tendency to assert opinions very forcefully without any buttress or intellectual humility. Indeed empty barrels are raucous.

Learn to be humble that is the mark of a true intellectual the converse is equally true

You missed the point.
Circumventing a regulation LEGALLY is in itself legal.

This kind of grey areas in laws have been exploited for ages. You do not commit a crime when you do legal things or do you?

When you set a limit for cash withdrawal from an account with a card, I commit no crime if I withdraw 100 times that amount with my 100 legal cards from 100 legal bank accounts. I'm not a card so I have no limit.

4 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
hyfr:
hope you didn't forget: recently an igbo girl won MBGN queen right? An igbo girl was also the former queen right? An igbo girl bagged highest degrees from uniben medical department right? Igbo guys built a mini bus at unizik right? OGA SWERVE >>>>>>>>>

the mbgn has a yoruba mom, hope u know that?
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by erico2k2(m): 9:56pm On Oct 25, 2015
omonnakoda:
Based on what ? That is my question legislation ,regulation which you can cite or your opinion
there no citable legislature that prohibits the carrying of more than one ATM card.

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by AreTheyBitches(m): 10:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
name checkers assosiation
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by badnature: 10:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
@demmocrat ! just imagine what you posted?by the way how old are you? if you put all your money in one ATM CARD and your buying goods that worth $80,000 and your visa is 30days, and the ATM card can only give you $200.now tell me 200x30=6000 what then happens with your remaining $74000? your hatred for igbo people is taking a toll on your capacity to think properly.envy has now make people to apriciat what ever policy of government provided that policy affected igbo people regardless of it consequence to the economy

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by sunsewa: 10:09pm On Oct 25, 2015
Buhari government frustrating genuine Igbo traders,making them to innovate different tricks and methods to remain trustworth with their creditors,but the foolish won't understand.

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by subzidi: 10:14pm On Oct 25, 2015
ifyalways:
No, I don't think this is money laundering.

The government is frustrating genuine business men and making them look like criminals with some of their money transfer/ CBN limitations, honestly.
I agree with Ify! People's money especially is stuck in the bank and let's be honest some transactions even abroad might warrant paying cash. Unfortunately it's very difficult to get dollars from Bank not even easy to withdraw over the counter from your dorm. It's a very difficult period for genuine businessmen/women!

2 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
mployer:
When CBN Will not allow You Transfer money through normal process.
What do You expect?
Don't mind them frustrating their efforts.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 10:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
erico2k2:

there no citable legislature the prohibits the carry of more than one ATM card.
The issue is not carrying the card that was not my question So I assume you don't know

the issue is is there a duty to declare ? Different countries have different rules e.g the US rule is "MONETARY INSTRUMENT" but that would vary from place to place. The status of a prepaid debit card has been subject to arguments lately
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/prepaid-rules-border-laundering-terrorist-1282.php
Well he has been arrested and so if charged the courts will determine whether the actions are lawful.

The situation in an airport these days is governed by all kinds of laws that cover not only false or incomplete declarations relating to financial but also to security domains,disease control and so Drug enforcement and other bodies have great powers to question and receive full declaration regarding itinerary,purpose of travel ,occupation,immunization and financial status ie possession of monetary instruments etc if the declaration form requires this information and it is not provided a crime may have been committed.
The issue is further complicated by the fact that there is legislation that empowers the CBN of Nigeria to limit the currency that an individual may use on a daily basis while abroad and an attempt to circumvent that MAY be unlawful of course these things sometimes need to be tested in court
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by hpk(m): 10:18pm On Oct 25, 2015
beht wetin concern NDLEA with debit cards or is there something i'm missing here?

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by goldmind82: 10:23pm On Oct 25, 2015
HungerBAD:
“We arrested Nweke Pauline Osita with 65 debit cards and Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi with twenty-four (24) debit cards during screening of passengers on an Ethiopian airline flight to China,” the statement quoted chairman of NDLEA Ahmadu Giade as saying.

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested two suspects in connection with smuggling of Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards through the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.

A statement by the NDLEA’s spokesman Ofoyeju Mitchell said Nweke Pauline Osita, 40 years old and Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi, 41 years old were arrested at the weekend with ATM cards of different banks.

“We arrested Nweke Pauline Osita with 65 debit cards and Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi with twenty-four (24) debit cards during screening of passengers on an Ethiopian airline flight to China,” the statement quoted chairman of NDLEA Ahmadu Giade as saying.

Giade said that the suspects conspired with others to evade scrutiny from government agencies by opening various bank accounts with the aim of using the debit cards for daily withdrawals abroad.

The director of Assets and Financial Investigation of the agency, Mrs. Victoria Egbase said that the statements of the suspects had been taken under caution and that preliminary investigation points to the fact that the various bank accounts were opened to facilitate withdrawal of money outside the country.

Nweke Pauline Osita, an Onitsha based trader who was caught with 65 debit cards said that the cards belong to friends and business partners.
“I am a trader. I sell men clothes at Onitsha. I was on my way to China to buy goods when NDLEA officers arrested me with 65 debit cards. The cards belong to my friends, relatives and business partners” Nweke stated. He hails from Enugu State and married with two children.

The second suspect, Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi who has a boutique at Aba, Abia State was found in possession of 24 debit cards. The NDLEA chairman has directed that the suspects be transferred to the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) for further Investigation.

Recently, officials of the NDLEA had arrested a trader, Udeh Onuora Pascal who was travelling to China with 108 debit cards. “The arrests is an indication that smuggling of debit cards abroad is one of the latest money laundering techniques employed to evade financial regulations,” the NDLEA said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/ndlea-arrests-2-china-bound-passengers-with-89-debit-cards/116291.html

Seun,Lalasticlala

Cheiiii chinko
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by 9ja083: 10:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
HungerBAD:

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has arrested two suspects in connection with smuggling of Automated Teller Machine (ATM) cards through the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos.

A statement by the NDLEA’s spokesman Ofoyeju Mitchell said Nweke Pauline Osita, 40 years old and Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi, 41 years old were arrested at the weekend with ATM cards of different banks.

Giade said that the suspects conspired with others to evade scrutiny from government agencies by opening various bank accounts with the aim of using the debit cards for daily withdrawals abroad.

The director of Assets and Financial Investigation of the agency, Mrs. Victoria Egbase said that the statements of the suspects had been taken under caution and that preliminary investigation points to the fact that the various bank accounts were opened to facilitate withdrawal of money outside the country.

Nweke Pauline Osita, an Onitsha based trader who was caught with 65 debit cards said that the cards belong to friends and business partners.
“I am a trader. I sell men clothes at Onitsha. I was on my way to China to buy goods when NDLEA officers arrested me with 65 debit cards. The cards belong to my friends, relatives and business partners” Nweke stated. He hails from Enugu State and married with two children.

The second suspect, Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi who has a boutique at Aba, Abia State was found in possession of 24 debit cards. The NDLEA chairman has directed that the suspects be transferred to the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) for further Investigation.

Recently, officials of the NDLEA had arrested a trader, Udeh Onuora Pascal who was travelling to China with 108 debit cards. “The arrests is an indication that smuggling of debit cards abroad is one of the latest money laundering techniques employed to evade financial regulations,” the NDLEA said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/ndlea-arrests-2-china-bound-passengers-with-89-debit-cards/116291.html

Seun,Lalasticlala

They should investigate properly. Am sure he was trying to avoid carrying excess money. So he decided to pay in d money in his friends account.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by jaybee(f): 10:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
erico2k2:

where did it state the cards where cloned? if you where going to clone cards wont you cary the datas to china to make teh cards instead of carrying the physical cards? more so wont you make all the clone cards to bear one single name? wont you name the cards in a diffrent brands ie banks that don't even exist as far as u gt the chips inside?U need to know how these things work B4 assuming bro seriously.

And where did it state the cards where not cloned? Are you the only expert card criminal that has monopoly on the criminal use of atm cards?
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Hero10001: 10:35pm On Oct 25, 2015
Aufbauh:
B R E A K I N G : finally @Chukwudi44 of nairaland has been arrested by the operatives of NDLEA?
ATM cards found with him may not be unconnected to account holders of some Nigerian top politicians been accused of money laundry, false assets declarations and electoral fraud.

Details of report coming soon.....................................
why pa chukwudi44?
Abi na because him be yeeboe?!
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by erico2k2(m): 10:37pm On Oct 25, 2015
omonnakoda:

examples

What is the use of a certain regulation when its not made know to the public,even the speed limits U mentioned in the Uk thats contained in an act same as local govt B laws.statutury as the name implies has its own guidlines to which such body must operate
I shall give a simple example, in the Uk we have an act or parliament called the TMA 204(traffic management act)I wil use the single yellow line as an example.It simply says no parking however its up to the LGA to state the amount of time U can park on one, The city of westminster says zero time, but Camden says five.The TMA clearly states that the local authority must display a yellow time plate to advice drivers of waht times these lines are enforceable and also the amount of time they are allowed to stay on their website.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by erico2k2(m): 10:40pm On Oct 25, 2015
jaybee:

And where did it state the cards where not cloned? Are you the only expert card criminal that has monopoly on the criminal use of atm cards?
There is no need to try to be clever,I asked a question instead of you responding to that simple question U are coming up with the caged attitude.Calling me criminal was uncalled for I won't bring myself to this level of argument, its meant for kids.

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by einsteino(m): 10:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
Demmocrats:
wink What if at the end there story checks out.

What if at the end the traders gave them those ATM to help them buy stuffs in China.

Have any of you guys done wire transfer from one bank to another and know the percentage you pay those banks.

Those traders might want to bypass that but it would have been better if they all transferred there money in one account with one ATM assigned to the account.

there is a cbn withdrawal limit in foreign currency per account. I guess they were trying to beat that limit.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by einsteino(m): 10:53pm On Oct 25, 2015
haaha. calm down it isn't fraud. They were trying to beat CBN Foreign withdrawal limit per account. The rates bank are charging for wired transfer these days is killing. I too have thought of having multiple accounts but the BVN bleeped that up. so only way out is to get multiple account owned by different people, different BVN.

[quote author=VIPERVENOM post=39352388][/quote]
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by zeal22(m): 10:54pm On Oct 25, 2015
Get a dollar account
Buy dollar from a b o k i
He will transfer to ur dollar account
Request for a dollar debit card
Travel with it and spend 10k USD daily

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by erico2k2(m): 11:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
omonnakoda:
The issue is not carrying the card that was not my question So I assume you don't know

the issue is is there a duty to declare ? Different countries have different rules e.g the US rule is "MONETARY INSTRUMENT" but that would vary from place to place. The status of a prepaid debit card has been subject to arguments lately
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/prepaid-rules-border-laundering-terrorist-1282.php
Well he has been arrested and so if charged the courts will determine whether the actions are lawful.

The situation in an airport these days is governed by all kinds of laws that cover not only false or incomplete declarations relating to financial but also to security domains,disease control and so Drug enforcement and other bodies have great powers to question and receive full declaration regarding itinerary,purpose of travel ,occupation,immunization and financial status ie possession of monetary instruments etc if the declaration form requires this information and it is not provided a crime may have been committed.
The issue is further complicated by the fact that there is legislation that empowers the CBN of Nigeria to limit the currency that an individual may use on a daily basis while abroad and an attempt to circumvent that MAY be unlawful of course these things sometimes need to be tested in court
1st when there is no law banning a certain action or thing it means its not illegal(hence there is no citation,it has not been taken to court)Im not a lawyer but what I do for work requires me to quote certain parts of the laws of the land each time I speak to a MOP

2nd Talking about Airports rules etc, I happen to go fru heathrow and Frankfort PHC 3 times yearly the monitory declaration requirements are almost the same thing,you are asked to declare anything above certain amount, in the Uk its £10000 or anything in gold silver etc to its equivalent, now you cannot quantify a credit,debit or prepaid card, even if its Amex card.Its true value wont be know.Like i said earlier, i have up to 12 cards to my name, I have never been asked to declare them in teh whole or Europe to America to Nigeria.Nothing in the landing form requires one todo so.At this point telling me I don't know dnt cut the cake these requirements just do not exist, statutory or not.The Onus is on the law enforcement Aegents to prove an offence has been committed if not they should be let to go about their Biz.

2 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by saintandsinnerz: 11:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
AnanseK:

It's extremely antisocial trait. Human beings organize themselves to form nations and laws to regulate how they conduct their affairs among themselves and other nations. Why is this ethnic group so antisocial and so criminal? Please I'm not trying to insult anybody but this issue concerns me.
Hate and bitterness for the Igbos will surely kill you and your family!
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 11:35pm On Oct 25, 2015
erico2k2:

1st when there is no law banning a certain action or thing it means its not illegal(hence there is no citation,it has not been taken to court)Im not a lawyer but what I do for work requires me to quote certain parts of the laws of the land each time I speak to a MOP

2nd Talking about Airports rules etc, I happen to go fru heathrow and Frankfort PHC 3 times yearly the monitory declaration requirements are almost the same thing,you are asked to declare anything above certain amount, in the Uk its £10000 or anything in gold silver etc to its equivalent, now you cannot quantify a credit,debit or prepaid card, even if its Amex card.Its true value wont be know.Like i said earlier, i have up to 12 cards to my name, I have never been asked to declare them in teh whole or Europe to America to Nigeria.Nothing in the landing form requires one todo so.At this point telling me I don't know dnt cut the cake these requirements just do not exist, statutory or not.The Onus is on the law enforcement Aegents to prove an offence has been committed if not they should be let to go about their Biz.
Answers do not need to be biographical. The range of human activities is infinite and so you cannot have laws banning things in detail for every activity . Rather laws tend to be general in their wording and sometimes laws have to be tested in courts That is the nature of jurisprudence . In this case without detailed knowledge of the particulars one's comments can be generic only. The issue is not just the possession of the cards but the intent for their possession

The alleged offence here is in Nigeria so your odysseys into Heathrow are interesting but are not really helpful in understanding the issues here. This is not a matter of airport rules but whether the intent was to subvert extant currency regulations and whether full disclosures were made. We shall have to wait for the courts to pronounce ,since he has been arrested. It is the case that guilt has to be proven for EVERY alleged offence so nothing special in this instance. What seems certain is any person travelling through a Nigerian airport with cards not bearing their name can expect to be arrested and hopefully then can provide a satisfactory defence/explanation
This is quite common. Another crucial question is whether the status of the card is Prepaid which I believe many Nigerian VISA cards . IF That is the case then they are treated as similar to Travellers Cheques ie Monetary instruments and declarable.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Hamza05(m): 11:43pm On Oct 25, 2015
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
hyfr:
hope you didn't forget: recently an igbo girl won MBGN queen right? An igbo girl was also the former queen right? An igbo girl bagged highest degrees from uniben medical department right? Igbo guys built a mini bus at unizik right? OGA SWERVE >>>>>>>>>
Linda ikeji bought a mansion lipsrsealed
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by IbukaDantata: 11:49pm On Oct 25, 2015
There is Nothing illegal In carrying ATM nomatter the number.

If you know them, tell them to get a good lawyer and they will get millions from the stupid NDLEA men.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by saintandsinnerz: 11:53pm On Oct 25, 2015
omonnakoda:

But in the story(if you read it_ ) The cards are in multiple names which are claimed to be business partners etc.

Now I can iimagine a man giving hi wife or son o brother his card but when you collect 100 cards of different traders from a cooperatie that is entering a new realm.My interest is in whether such commercial activity is envisaged by any of our laws. It may well be that there is no law and it is a grey area as is often the case with "new" technologies

Stop saying things you don't know please! Look this stuff is very popular in Onitsha main market especially among guys in exchange business. I'm very sure some of the cards will belong to them. Now see what they do with the cards. Now you know there is a lot restriction on forex in Nigeria courtesy of the CNB policy. So in order for these traders to boycott this obnoxious policy, these guys approach Nigerian banks to open an account. Once they open this accounts, the banks activates the ATM for them so that they can use it internationally. They huge amount of monies into these accounts and travel with the issued ATM. When they reach China, they will now draw the money from Chinese banks. Sometimes, if you are lucky you can withdraw up to 2000 dollars or less. So they keep on withdrawing this money until they exhaust the money in the card. Some of them sell this dollars to traders over there and make brisk profit (because the exchange rate in China is good), while some use it to buy goods. So what they normally do is that if anybody they know wants to travel to China, they will give their cards to the person this purpose. So relax, I don't think there is anything wrong they are doing as the Nigerian and Chinese banks are aware of this. Don't ask me how i know all these!

2 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 12:00am On Oct 26, 2015
saintandsinnerz:

Stop saying things you don't know please! Look this stuff is very popular in Onitsha main market especially among guys in exchange business. I'm very sure some of the cards will belong to them. Now see what they do with the cards. Now you know there is a lot restriction on forex in Nigeria courtesy of the CNB policy. So in order for these traders to boycott this obnoxious policy, these guys approach Nigerian banks to open an account. Once they open this accounts, the banks activates the ATM for them so that they can use it internationally. They huge amount of monies into these accounts and travel with the issued ATM. When they reach China, they will now draw the money from Chinese banks. Sometimes, if you are lucky you can withdraw up to 2000 dollars or less. So they keep on withdrawing this money until they exhaust the money in the card. Some of them sell this dollars to traders over there and make brisk profit (because the exchange rate in China is good), while some use it to buy goods. So what they normally do is that if anybody they know wants to travel to China, they will give their cards to the person this purpose. So relax, I don't think there is anything wrong they are doing as the Nigerian and Chinese banks are aware of this. Don't ask me how i know all these!
I have a few bad habits but none of them involves joining issues with touts illiterates and OMATA boys
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by eaglechild: 12:20am On Oct 26, 2015
Obiagu1:

You missed the point.
Circumventing a regulation LEGALLY is in itself legal.

This kind of grey areas in laws have been exploited for ages. You do not commit a crime when you do legal things or do you?

When you set a limit for cash withdrawal from an account with a card, I commit no crime if I withdraw 100 times that amount with my 100 legal cards from 100 legal bank accounts. I'm not a card so I have no limit.
Period.

You nailed it.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by saintandsinnerz: 12:34am On Oct 26, 2015
omonnakoda:
I have a few bad habits but none of them involves joining issues with touts illiterates and OMATA boys
Well, if this is what you make of what i said, then you must be a very disgusting person in real life. There is no shame in being a trader or omata as you wish to call it. The shame is only on you for making this silly and unwarranted comment! BTW, i don't think you have more and better education than me. Just jog along, you scum of the earth!

2 Likes

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by eaglechild: 12:40am On Oct 26, 2015
omonnakoda:

Answers do not need to be biographical. The range of human activities is infinite and so you cannot have laws banning things in detail for every activity . Rather laws tend to be general in their wording and sometimes laws have to be tested in courts That is the nature of jurisprudence . In this case without detailed knowledge of the particulars one's comments can be generic only. The issue is not just the possession of the cards but the intent for their possession

The alleged offence here is in Nigeria so your odysseys into Heathrow are interesting but are not really helpful in understanding the issues here. This is not a matter of airport rules but whether the intent was to subvert extant currency regulations and whether full disclosures were made. We shall have to wait for the courts to pronounce ,since he has been arrested. It is the case that guilt has to be proven for EVERY alleged offence so nothing special in this instance. What seems certain is any person travelling through a Nigerian airport with cards not bearing their name can expect to be arrested and hopefully then can provide a satisfactory defence/explanation
This is quite common. Another crucial question is whether the status of the card is Prepaid which I believe many Nigerian VISA cards . IF That is the case then they are treated as similar to Travellers Cheques ie Monetary instruments and declarable.
Your last statement doesn't add up.

Are you trying to say that one has to declare the content on his debit card when he is travelling or do you not realise that a single debit card can be tied to an account worth millions
What then is the need for the withdrawal limit pegged on these cards if one has to declare them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lady Dumps Her Baby In A Waste Bin In Port Harcourt & Runs Away (Disturbing Phot / NSCDC Officer, Bulus Sanda, Killed By Kidnappers In Kaduna State / Mass Burial For 10 People Killed In Kaduna By Fulani Herdsmen (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.