Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,515 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards (26299 Views)

China-Bound Nigerian Arrested With 130ATM Cards Hidden In Noodles (pic) / NDLEA Arrests Drug Baron Shipping $23m Narcotics To S’africa (pictured) / NDLEA Arrests South African-based Nigerian With Drugs (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 12:57am On Oct 26, 2015
eaglechild:

Your last statement doesn't add up.

Are you trying to say that one has to declare the content on his debit card when he is travelling or do you not realise that a single debit card can be tied to an account worth millions
What then is the need for the withdrawal limit pegged on these cards if one has to declare them.

If the law iin a particular jurisdiction requires that then yes. I do not know if that is the case specifically in Nigeria.

Prepaid cards are not tied necessarily to any account educate yourself.
You can buy them at the Post Office in he UK e.g and LOAD money onto them whilst getting all the functionality that goes with a VISA debit card WITHOUT A BANK ACCOUNT that is what prepaid means and so they are a favourite of criminals. It is normal for government to want to control this. Now customs officials can scan them to see how much is on them in the US e.g

Some Nigeria VISA cards are "PREPAID" and do not have the same functionality as DEBIT cards from some other countries which have no restrictions subject to the money being in the account
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by eaglechild: 1:07am On Oct 26, 2015
omonnakoda:

If the law iin a particular jurisdiction requires that then yes. I do not know if that is the case specifically in Nigeria.

Prepaid cards are not tied to any account educate yourself.
You can buy them at the Post Office in he UK e.g and LOAD money onto them whilst getting all the functionality that goes with a VISA debit card WITHOUT A BANK ACCOUNT that is what prepaid means and so they are a favourite of criminals. It is normal for government to want to control this. Now customs officials can scan them to see how much is on them in the US e.g

Some Nigeria VISA cards are "PREPAID" and do not have the same functionality as DEBIT cards from some other countries which have no restrictions subject to the money being in the account
Please don't evade the obvious facts.

They were caught with ATM (DEBIT) cards.
Which are by the way a form of prepaid cards unlike credit cards.
They are Nigerian cards and have the same functionality.

You are outsmarting yourself not me.

Once again I will ask you - do you need to declare the contents of your prepaid debit card which is the specific card they were caught with?

Nevermind the answer is NO!

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by badnature: 1:15am On Oct 26, 2015
this idiots called omonnankoda or what ever he called himself,illiteracy and hatred for igbo people has reduced his ability to read and understand.all what he does is to post things based on assumptions instead of fact

1 Like

Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 1:15am On Oct 26, 2015
eaglechild:

Please don't evade the obvious facts.

They were caught with ATM (DEBIT) cards.
Which are by the way a form of prepaid cards unlike credit cards.
They are Nigerian cards and have the same functionality.

You are outsmarting yourself not me.

Once again I will ask you - do you need to declare the contents of your prepaid debit card which is the specific card they were caught with?

Nevermind the answer is NO!
All cards are called ATM cards in Nigeria . At any rate the issue was the number of the cards and the fact that the cards bore more than one identity and the story mentions an attempt at concealment.

I do not know if they need to declare in Nigeria but you say they do not and I asked how do you know this ? NO ANSWER
In America you do I supplied a link for that several posts ago.
. I am not making as much of the declaration as you seem to because I do no say what I do not know
They were arrested so let us wait for the court to rule.
Did I arrest them? Surely when they go to court we will hear the Nigerian laws and regulations that relate to such activity

NOW

Giade said that the suspects conspired with others to evade scrutiny from government agencies by opening various bank accounts with the aim of using the debit cards for daily withdrawals abroad.

Clearly he believes that is a crime so let us wait for the courts to rule whether conspiring to evade scrutiny with the aim of

using the debit cards for daily withdrawals abroad is prohibited and criminal
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by eaglechild: 1:31am On Oct 26, 2015
omonnakoda:
All cards are called ATM cards in Nigeria . At any rate the issue was the number of the cards and the fact that the cards bore more than one identity and the story mentions an attempt at concealment.

I do not know if they need to declare in Nigeria but you say they do not and I asked how do you know this ? NO ANSWER
In America you do I supplied a link for that several posts ago.
. I am not making as much of the declaration as you seem to because I do no say what I do not know
They were arrested so let us wait for the court to rule.
Did I arrest them? Surely when they go to court we will hear the Nigerian laws and regulations that relate to such activity

NOW

Giade said that the suspects conspired with others to evade scrutiny from government agencies by opening various bank accounts with the aim of using the debit cards for daily withdrawals abroad.

Clearly he believes that is a crime so let us wait for the courts to rule whether conspiring to evade scrutiny with the aim of

using the debit cards for daily withdrawals abroad is prohibited and criminal
All I wanted to point out is that one is not required by law to declare the content of one's debit card in Nigeria as you previously stated.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by cooljude(m): 5:36am On Oct 26, 2015
ladyF:
Hian!!!! Fear God!!! shocked
una no know something na go just comment. No b fraud, these are honest business men trying to survive this useless cbn policy. They said don't move with raw cash/dollars. Now they are still complaining of ATM. What do you expect them to transact with. I tire for una country.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by cooljude(m): 5:40am On Oct 26, 2015
[quote author=Luvdmx post=39333304]Maybe they are card collectors.. grin

Say no to fast money. The worst part of it is that most of this coward's are supposed graduate.

Channel your energy into something positive and l if u don't have an idea of something, you better shut up. Who told you they are fraud stars. They are honest business men frusterated by CBN policies. Don't carry too much cash/foriegn currency. How do you want Business men to transact when they want to import from China. I repeat they better not temper with their cash in the bank.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by cooljude(m): 5:43am On Oct 26, 2015
divinehand2003:
Corruption is assuming very incredible forms. Man must get rich by all means or die trying. But what shall it profit the man even if he gains the whole world but suffers in kirikiri prison?
dude if u no know wetin dey happen, you better keep quiet dey look. Those guys are genuine business men trying to survive those CBN monetary policies. Wetin u even sabi sef.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Atlantian: 7:48am On Oct 26, 2015
Nigeria is the most useless country in the world. You limit access to wire transfers, you stop people from depositing dollars to buy goods, then they get ATM cards to use and you still stop them. Why should they not take guns and rob banks since you dont let them do legitimate businesses.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Nobody: 7:58am On Oct 26, 2015
tunde1200:
Nweke Pauline Osita, 40 years old and Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi, 41 years old were arrested at the weekend with ATM cards of different banks.

ALWAYS THEM!

And always u believing formulated stories sad
tunde1200:
Nweke Pauline Osita, 40 years old and Egesiokwu Frank Chukwudi, 41 years old were arrested at the weekend with ATM cards of different banks.

ALWAYS THEM!

And always u believing formulated stories
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Lilimax(f): 8:16am On Oct 26, 2015
prophetfire:
This forum is full of ignorant dunces.y do dey do it? The govt's present policy on foriegn currency transactions is destroying their biz and the govt dnt give a damn. The amount they re allowed to transfer is too meager for them, so they use many accounts like these ones to keep biz on. Its circumveting the system quite alright but buhari's govt seem not to have space for struggling small scale importers.
We have so many kids on Nairaland lately; the reason why most of their comments are ridiculous embarassed
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by babsmii(m): 8:48am On Oct 26, 2015
ifyalways:
No, I don't think this is money laundering.

The government is frustrating genuine business men and making them look like criminals with some of their money transfer/ CBN limitations, honestly.

which is easier and safer?
travel with many cards and get caught or send money via western union to yourself and pick it up in China?
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:21am On Oct 26, 2015
Criminals, criminals, criminals; abi dem swear for dem?
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by j1mmy: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2015
IGBO, well renowned criminals sect who just wish to be simply called NIGERIANS!
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by j1mmy: 10:22am On Oct 26, 2015
hyfr:
hope you didn't forget: recently an igbo girl won MBGN queen right? An igbo girl was also the former queen right? An igbo girl bagged highest degrees from uniben medical department right? Igbo guys built a mini bus at unizik right? OGA SWERVE >>>>>>>>>

Yes, I also remember that there are 21 of them in a list for firing squad in Indonesia, I also remember there are thousands of them in foreign prisons for drugs trafficking - they are referred to as Nigerians!

There are more IGBO drug dealers and criminals than there are beauty queens
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by j1mmy: 10:29am On Oct 26, 2015
badnature:
this idiots called omonnankoda or what ever he called himself,illiteracy and hatred for igbo people has reduced his ability to read and understand.all what he does is to post things based on assumptions instead of fact

Assumptions?
NDLEA list IGBO as the number one drug traffickers in Nigeria.
NAFDAC, was created for IGBO people because they are the number one contraband and fake goods criminals in the country.

over 70% of criminal activities involving a Nigerian passport holder has an IGBO person involved

so what assumptions are you talking about?
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by johnshagb(m): 11:33am On Oct 26, 2015
nicerichard05:

You Be fooll.

#NoToTribalism undecided undecided

You rant all over the thread trying to portray a gentle man with ur hashtag, but there you are quickly dishing out abusive word/language like the person you are trying to correct.

Swerve with your double standard. Buffoon
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 12:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
badnature:
My mother is an idiot. Idiocy will kill her and she will die blind and swollen like a rotten pig in an open field
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by chuksmad(m): 12:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
mployer:

There Is nothing more to It. They are going for legal business.

CBN allows only $300 withdrawal per Card per Day. If You have five cards from différent Banks, You Can cash $1500 per Day, $3000 in two days.
Exactly, they will not understand, this government is really stifling igbos businesses, because they know that it is mostly Igbos are into importation business, hence these policies.
Guys are trying ways to survive
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by omonnakoda: 12:16pm On Oct 26, 2015
eaglechild:

All I wanted to point out is that one is not required by law to declare the content of one's debit card in Nigeria as you previously stated.
Please provide a quote for where exactly I stated that.

I know I said this though
omonnakoda:

There is no need to tell idiotic LIES . Why come here after your meaningless rigmarole to start lying?
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by erico2k2(m): 1:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
omonnakoda:

Answers do not need to be biographical. The range of human activities is infinite and so you cannot have laws banning things in detail for every activity . Rather laws tend to be general in their wording and sometimes laws have to be tested in courts That is the nature of jurisprudence . In this case without detailed knowledge of the particulars one's comments can be generic only. The issue is not just the possession of the cards but the intent for their possession

The alleged offence here is in Nigeria so your odysseys into Heathrow are interesting but are not really helpful in understanding the issues here. This is not a matter of airport rules but whether the intent was to subvert extant currency regulations and whether full disclosures were made. We shall have to wait for the courts to pronounce ,since he has been arrested. It is the case that guilt has to be proven for EVERY alleged offence so nothing special in this instance. What seems certain is any person travelling through a Nigerian airport with cards not bearing their name can expect to be arrested and hopefully then can provide a satisfactory defence/explanation
This is quite common. Another crucial question is whether the status of the card is Prepaid which I believe many Nigerian VISA cards . IF That is the case then they are treated as similar to Travellers Cheques ie Monetary instruments and declarable.
It clearly states Debit cards.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by prophetfire: 2:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
Lilimax:
We have so many kids on Nairaland lately; the reason why most of their comments are ridiculous embarassed
you are the kid here because you don't know what it takes to survive in this jungle where government is for only the rich and the mighty.
Re: NDLEA Arrests 2 China-bound Passengers With 89 Debit Cards by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 27, 2015
Demmocrats:
wink What if at the end there story checks out.

What if at the end the traders gave them those ATM to help them buy stuffs in China.

Have any of you guys done wire transfer from one bank to another and know the percentage you pay those banks.

Those traders might want to bypass that but it would have been better if they all transferred there money in one account with one ATM assigned to the account.

That is still money laundering.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Robbery: Slain Fish Hawker Buried In Ikoyi / Lady Dumps Her Baby In A Waste Bin In Port Harcourt & Runs Away (Disturbing Phot / Mass Burial For 10 People Killed In Kaduna By Fulani Herdsmen (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.