Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,945 members, 7,810,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? (2395 Views)

Wike Loses Bid To Stop Tribunal’s Sitting In Abuja / Rejoinder: Shamsuddeen Usman Denies Making Comments Against Yorubas, Tinubu / Six (6) Things Apc Governors Achieved By Going To Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by busibodi(f): 3:16pm On May 07, 2009
So far, AC has shown itself to be just as corrupt and unruly as PDP. Rigging is rigging; Hiring thugs, no matter how many is the same; Bribery is still bribery. So AC is no Saint here!!

indeed.

It is not about saint or devil. It is about free and fair election.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On May 07, 2009
busi-bodi:

indeed.

It is not about saint or devil. It is about free and fair election.

Free and fair demands that BOTH parties (AC and PDP) conduct this is a fair way. So far, it seems a majority still blames PDP for what happened and somehow believe that AC has a right to fight this. If the AC (the assumed opposition in this case) chooses to fight the results, what stops the PDP from producing evidence of the AC doing exactly the same things as it did. What happens to the people in that case? Are we better off with an AC governor /leader who also rigged his way to victory?
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 8:30pm On May 07, 2009
We are tired of same stories. The pen has no stand in Nigeria. Its been blotted. We need physical action. Enough of national blogging on our dailies.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by biina: 1:05am On May 08, 2009
Two things I have always felt stood in the path of change are: our educational system (which goes beyond the schools) and our religions.

Nigerians are often blinded by their religious biases and made into tools of the unscrupulous imams and pastors. The average Nigerian will do almost whatever the pastor/imam says even at the detriment of himself and his family, while the religious leader is busy smiling to the bank with your generous contributions and gifts from the looting political elites. I have never heard a religious leader criticize any of the corrupt politicians (or anyone of influence for that matter)  that are in their fold.  It makes one wonder if the imam/pastor is serving God or the elites. It might be prudent to set religion aside if it would help us tackle our problems fairly and squarely.

The level of reasoning of the average Nigerian is often so appalling. Rarely do you see a Nigerian objectively analyzing a situation or giving constructive criticism. Instead, they are quick to base their stance on tribal sentiments, political affiliations, and/or selfish interests. What is the point of giving a man a choice, if he does not have the capacity to make the right choice
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by chidichris(m): 11:57am On May 08, 2009
Free and fair demands that BOTH parties (AC and PDP) conduct this is a fair way. So far, it seems a majority still blames PDP for what happened and somehow believe that AC has a right to fight this. If the AC (the assumed opposition in this case) chooses to fight the results, what stops the PDP from producing evidence of the AC doing exactly the same things as it did. What happens to the people in that case? Are we better off with an AC governor /leader who also rigged his way to victory?

@kobo,
does ac rigging and pdp rigging make rigging a legal and acceptable way of having elections in nigeria? we are talking about the people's mandate. we are talking about credible elections.

@poster,
you ended up without a massage. among the names you so far mentioned as your examples, who among them engaged the govt in a physical battle?
fela we all know was always talking against the evils of govt. soyinka we know always criticise govt actions when he is not ok. so who among them fought?
again, we have been writing because we are not comfortable. what is the guarrantee that you and ur group will not relate us to the used thugs in ekiti if we stand up against the govt tomorrow?
again, where is the saro wiwa, bola ige and dele giwa you mentioned here? or do u consider what they get as a worthy reward for their efforts? will you be happy to be in their list?
again, those of us who believe in writing, talking and praying have been doing that, where are those of you who believe in fighting? how far have you gone? who do u consider worth been the sacrificial lamb? don't you think leadership by example is what we need in this new idea of standing up against the govt?
it is obvious here that those who are calling for revelution are not even their real self. they are exactly the oposite of what they preach. why on earth will you preach what you cannot do? you are a perfect deciet. people shld learn to take their sides and preach what they do. most of us are staying out of nigeria and preaching wars and revelution so who will be the participants?

We are tired of same stories. The pen has no stand in Nigeria. Its been blotted. We need physical action. Enough of national blogging on our dailies.

yicob,
make a move. this kind of movement starts with a man. you can be the man. start with your ward councelor. before you get to your local govt chairman and you will be sure to get some support along the line.
in your next response, please tell us the re;ationship between what you are preaching for and treason and felony that will be labelled against your name before your transfer to the other side of the earth where saro wiwa, bola ige and dele giwa are.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On May 08, 2009
yicob:

What pen?
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 5:28pm On May 08, 2009
@ kobo, tpiah mentioned something about pen on the first page.

@ chidi, your above statement is the major reason why people are afraid of change in this country. Why think treason or felony ? Let's rebuke cowardice spirit and move the country forward. Everybody can't be jailed/killed. . . . . . . .we just need to be on a right course.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On May 08, 2009
yicob:

@ kobo, tpiah mentioned something about pen on the first page.

@ chidi, your above statement is the major reason why people are afraid of change in this country. Why think treason or felony ? Let's rebuke cowardice spirit and move the country forward. Everybody can't be jailed/killed. . . . . . . .we just need to be on a right course.

Precisely! I believe we are not really ready for change and that is the huge reason why we continue to linger. You suggest people sign petitions, the same will raise their voices to claim it will never work. You ask why? The excuses range from “THE GOVERNMENT will not act” or “The petition signers might get targeted by the government”.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by cold(m): 8:21pm On May 08, 2009
It's a very painful truth to admit, but Nigeria is a failed state, tithering on the edge of a precipice & just hangin by a thread.The problem remains leadership,we can all contribute our little quota but if the head is rotten-there's really not much the body can do-literally.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Kobojunkie: 8:28pm On May 08, 2009
cold:

It's a very painful truth to admit, but Nigeria is a failed state, tithering on the edge of a precipice & just hangin by a thread.The problem remains leadership,we can all contribute our little quota but if the head is rotten-there's really not much the body can do-literally.

If the head if then the problem, do you suggest we wait for the magical moment when the head decides of it's own to wake up?
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Akpangbon: 8:31pm On May 08, 2009
@Cold

Please use empirical facts to back up your statement that Nigeria is a failed state - anyone can make that statement, but if it is not backed up with proof and evidence, then it is a meaningless statement.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by cold(m): 8:46pm On May 08, 2009
Can anybody tell me when the wealth of this country (9ja of course) will be equitably distributed, when tribalism & religous discrimination will be eliminated or reduced to the barest minimum,when merit will be considered over mediocrity, when politics will be fair game and not a "do or die" affair (apologies to Obasanjo)?We cant even refine our oil because a power bloc benefits from importation,cement remains prohibitively high because one man has the ears of the presidency and is crushing all new entrants.Ajakaota steel has remained moribund for God knows how long.Nigeria remains one of the few countries without a functional rail system. I can go on but u could get bored.

Let me reiterate that trying to salvage this country is an exercise in futility if the man whom the buck stops at his table does not begin the process.There's always an exception though,i tip my hat to the Fashola's administration.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Akpangbon: 8:49pm On May 08, 2009
Cold - is dat why Nigeria is a failed state?
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by cold(m): 9:06pm On May 08, 2009
Akpangbon:

Cold - is dat why Nigeria is a failed state?
Very much so,a state does not hav to be war torn like Sudan or in a state of complete dis array like Somalia to be labelled a failed state.When the core indices of a country continue to read in the negative that state is very likely a failed state.And oh did i mention that Nigeria is also incapable of feedin itself-do the math.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Pataki: 9:42pm On May 08, 2009
Nigeria is a conundrum that cannot be solved. Watching the Ekiti elections live on tv, some days back, I was truly sorry, that I am a Nigerian.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by TOYOSI20(f): 10:06pm On May 08, 2009
I absolutely agree wid u Yicob, but doesn’t it start from the top though, . . . . .

i feel like it’s a case of who will bell the cat. . . .Cos until someone takes that first step towards drastic progress,

believe me the complaints and accusations would not cease, unfortunately lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 10:24pm On May 08, 2009
I told folks on the Ekiti thread that Pdp would win the rerun and nothing would happen. Oni was sworn in on the 2nd day. . . . .and Ekiti is back to business as usual. Our leaders dare not pray for a better country because their wealth is multiplied in the chaos of the nation. I was surprised when a friend told me that Clinton left White House without a personal house. Ordinary Councillor in Naija is a proud owner of hectares of land, series of 2008 model cars, chains of business, houses all over the world. . . . .and you keep wondering if leading the people is a lucrative business.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by bawomolo(m): 10:26pm On May 08, 2009
I absolutely agree wid u Yicob, but doesn’t it start from the top though, . . . . .

A substantial amount of Nigerian politicians at the top weren't born into high-class homes (income and influence wise). The leaders are a manifestation of the people.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by asha80(m): 10:34pm On May 08, 2009
Funnily enough i started feeling nigeria is a failed state right from my senior secondary days in the mid nineties
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Kobojunkie: 10:43pm On May 08, 2009
bawomolo:

A substantial amount of Nigerian politicians at the top weren't born into high-class homes (income and influence wise). The leaders are a manifestation of the people.

Exactly!! These leaders were once in discussions throwing blame at the then-leaders. They later decided to join up so they can eat their piece.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:05pm On May 08, 2009
bawomolo:

Not really referring to socio-economic status here, just looking for someone, to grab the proverbial bull by the horn, that's all,
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 11:22pm On May 08, 2009
Ghana was worse than Nigeria years ago. We all thought nothing good would come out of the land again. J. Rawlings took the heroic step to save the whole Ghanians . . . . . . .presently, everything works fine there. 100% electricity. We need a Messiah !
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:44pm On May 08, 2009
yicob:

Ghana was worse than Nigeria years ago. We all thought nothing good would come out of the land again. J. Rawlings took the heroic step to save the whole Ghanians . . . . . . .presently, everything works fine there. 100% electricity. We need a Messiah !

Yup, same applies to a host of other advance countires around the world, hopefully soon, i hope,
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by Kobojunkie: 11:54pm On May 08, 2009
yicob:

If you believe that things will not change until this messiah you are waiting for comes along, and you are sure you are not this messiah, why body even concern yourself with the problem when you have convinced self that it will never be solved until this one who you expect to do heal all, shows up?
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 7:36am On May 09, 2009
The "we need a messiah" was just a metaphorical statement. It doesn't mean we are waiting for someone like Rawlings to save us. The major headache i have about this country is that our politicians are not the only one to put in check. Corruption and other vices have eaten deep into our system that everybody is looking for a sharp sharp avenue to break even. I believe the best way to start is to have a 1 voice, one Nigeria orientation. So that our leaders wont be able to use divide and rule for us. United we Stand !
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by chidichris(m): 9:03am On May 09, 2009
Please use empirical facts to back up your statement that Nigeria is a failed state - anyone can make that statement, but if it is not backed up with proof and evidence, then it is a meaningless statement.

Akpangbon,

failed state with the following;
1. no credible elections
2. no stable power supply
3. no security
4. no good roads
5. no good water
6. unemployement
7. corrupt leaders
8. corrupt masses
9. lack of institutions
10. lack of direction
sir,
i hope with the few points above, i have been able to convience you and not confuss u that nigeria is a failed, failing and , state.

@topic,
like someone rightly said, all of us will not die the same time or day. why can't the majority of supporters of this idea of revolution start something.
what nigerians and nigeria is still missing is those leaders who lead by example. kobo and co, when, how and where are u starting? can't you stop talking and start acting? don't u get bored discussing this particular issue on daily bases? are u waiting for that day when every nigerians will say yes let us go? that day will never come. ppl like us may join that fight along the line. the most important thing here is to start so let those wo believe this idea start something and we will see from there. is it possible that you guys are waiting for oposition to start this fight?

please get real. action they say, speaks louder than words. enough of all these and that. let someone start this war. i m begining to feel you guys are out to decieve others into doing what you guys will not do.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 3:37pm On May 09, 2009
@ Chidi, the list is endless. . . . .but that doesn't mean naija is already a failed state. Why do you want to join the fight in the middle ? Be part of those that would liberate da nation.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by otokx(m): 8:41pm On May 09, 2009
biina said it all
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 9:30pm On May 09, 2009
I agree with Biina. Through out my 4 years in school, there was no session the SUG president and co. were not accused of mismanagement and embezzlement. Even the executives of National Association of Nigerian Students are busy fighting for their selfish interest. Our students are more desperate than these so called politicians.
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by kosovo(m): 10:29pm On May 09, 2009
?
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by jamace(m): 1:55pm On May 10, 2009
Well maybe not exactly 30%, but even 1% if they shout loud enough can cause change.

Well maybe too not exactly 1%, but even 0.01% can cause the desired change, but not by shouting alone o, but by actions like kidnapping, suicide bombing, assasinations and other terrorism actions towards the corrupt individuals in Nigeria.

Well said. But who is ready to bell the cat?
Naija man, no matter what, will prefer to continue to smoke his garri day- in day- out assuring himself that "once there is life, there is hope", including all of us e-talking tough here. grin grin
Re: The Nigeria Of My Dream ! Can It Be Achieved By Just Sitting In Your House And Making Comments ? by yicob(m): 8:17pm On May 10, 2009
Though we are not happy with the way things are going,. . . . .it is still obvious Nigerians are contented in living a low life. Like Jamace said. . .we are all here e-talking without any action.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Gov For Delta State? / Breaking News: Minister of Special Duties - Remi Babalola Resigns / First Nigerian In Space

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.