Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,401 members, 7,822,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

First Nigerian In Space - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Nigerian In Space (2402 Views)

Meet The First Nigerian Female ISIS Terrorist / Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army / Protest Over Death Of Nigerian In UK Prison Custody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 3:43pm On Jan 02, 2011
Who would it be?

Any Ideas
Re: First Nigerian In Space by aljharem(m): 3:50pm On Jan 02, 2011
me alj harem

representing nigeria angry
Re: First Nigerian In Space by olaolabiy: 3:50pm On Jan 02, 2011
It can only be Mr Stranger now smiley
Re: First Nigerian In Space by aljharem(m): 3:53pm On Jan 02, 2011
ola olabiy:

gbam

me and fstrangest wink
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 3:55pm On Jan 02, 2011
ola olabiy:

I say Amen

alj harem:

me alj harem

representing nigeria angry

Hmm. . . Amen. But i would not want to share my moment of glory with you. No Offeinse!
Re: First Nigerian In Space by olaolabiy: 3:56pm On Jan 02, 2011
^^^And Blazay. I hope your capsule develops no fault because some Nlanders will be happy to hear that wink

I am not one of them oo.
Re: First Nigerian In Space by aljharem(m): 4:04pm On Jan 02, 2011
fstrangest:

I say Amen

Hmm. . . Amen. But i would not want to share my moment of glory with you. No Offeinse!

why not,,,, sad undecided

we can make history together wink,,,,,,,yoruba/igbo/kanuri
Re: First Nigerian In Space by aljharem(m): 4:05pm On Jan 02, 2011
ola olabiy:

^^^And Blazay. I hope your capsule develops no fault because some Nlanders will be happy to hear that wink

I am not one of them oo.

blazay will be the engineer
Re: First Nigerian In Space by olaolabiy: 4:07pm On Jan 02, 2011
And you will be called 'the lucky 3'. Or 'flight tribal'. So cute, isn't it grin grin
Re: First Nigerian In Space by olaolabiy: 4:09pm On Jan 02, 2011
I hope Blazay puts no cog in the wheel of your flight sha. And, avoid the Antarctic o smiley
Re: First Nigerian In Space by aljharem(m): 4:12pm On Jan 02, 2011
ola olabiy:

And you will be called 'the lucky 3'. Or 'flight tribal'. So cute, isn't it grin grin

to be honest not me or blazay are tribal,,,,,, i tell u i only hate liers ,,,,,that all

i am not tribal in any form smiley but some times i admit i pull some of my igbo brothers legs wink
Re: First Nigerian In Space by olaolabiy: 4:21pm On Jan 02, 2011
^^^You are not sir. wink Did I say u're?
Re: First Nigerian In Space by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 02, 2011
Good morning fstranger! smiley

@topic: not sure. do you have any ideas?
are u referring to someone well known or another Nlder?
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 5:22pm On Jan 02, 2011
'Space flight' for Nigerian (from South East) girl
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5364722.stm
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 5:48pm On Jan 02, 2011
omongbatic:

'Space flight' for Nigerian (from South East) girl
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5364722.stm

What an idiotic response.

I am talking about real space, not some Akpu selling buka!
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 5:52pm On Jan 02, 2011
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 5:58pm On Jan 02, 2011
Felix is the top student in her favorite subjects — physics and chemistry — at Moremi High School in the southern town of Ife. Most of her class of 60 are lucky to have one book to share between two students.

That is my hometown

Moremi high school is on the campus of OAU, a very shitty school

It just shows you that Yorubas rule. What can you do without us. The best of your people come to us to be schooled by the worst amongst us.

It is the supreme art of her Yoruba teachers that awaken joy in her creative expression and knowledge

UP YORUBA teachers.    .    .  innit?

Just as we trained Achebe, we will help open Stella's brain and imagination. We will continue to act as big brother to[b] humble[/b] Ibos
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 6:18pm On Jan 02, 2011
fstrangest:

Felix is the top student in her favorite subjects — physics and chemistry — at Moremi High School in the southern town of Ife. Most of her class of 60 are lucky to have one book to share between two students.

That is my hometown

It just shows you that Yorubas rule. What can you do without us. The best of your people come to us to be schooled by the worst amongst us.

It is the supreme art of her Yoruba teachers that awaken joy in her creative expression and knowledge

UP YORUBA teachers.    .    .  innit?

Just as we trained Achebe, we will help open Stella's brain and imagination.  We will continue to act as big brother to[b] humble[/b] Ibos

Talk about clutching at straw. If it is about the teachers, why did Yoruba class mates of Stella not make it then like her? CLEARLY, it is about Stella and not her teachers (teachers who also have Yorubas as their students). Loser! Loser!! Loser!!!
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 6:28pm On Jan 02, 2011
omongbatic:

Talk about clutching at straw. If it is about the teachers, why did Yoruba class mates of Stella not make it then like her? CLEARLY, it is about Stella and not her teachers (teachers who also have Yorubas as their students). Loser! Loser!! Loser!!!

From what I heard from friends, they give her top marks to make her feel welcome and comfortable in Ife. And also, Ife is a peace loving town, we wouldnt want you crying tribalism and marginalization, like Emeagwali did, suing his professors for racial discrimination after failing his Ph.D exams. You know, we Ifes are really nice people. Also, we love smashing 'nna' nyanshes.
Re: First Nigerian In Space by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 02, 2011
fstrangest:

we wouldnt want you crying tribalism and marginalization, like Emeagwali did, suing his professors for racial discrimination after failing his Ph.D exams.

LOL grin grin grin
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2011
fstrangest:

From what I heard from friends, they give her top marks to make her feel welcome and comfortable in Ife. And also, Ife is a peace loving town, we wouldnt want you crying tribalism and marginalization, like Emeagwali did, suing his professors for racial discrimination after failing his Ph.D exams. You know, we Ifes are really  nice people. Also, we love smashing 'nna' nyanshes.

For the first time, I must admit your comic potential. We should in fact crown you the clown-in-chief of Nairaland. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Anyways, so Uni-Ife (and affiliated institutions) dey dash marks? No wonder this man here http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200902223264739 got his dashed degrees there.
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 6:37pm On Jan 02, 2011
omongbatic:

For the first time, I must admit your comic potential. We should in fact crown you the clown-in-chief of Nairaland. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Anyways, so Uni-Ife (and affiliated institutions) dey dash marks? No wonder this man here http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200902223264739 got his dashed degrees there.

Ode@
WHo is talking about OAU? I am talking about Moremi high School, one of the shyytiest secondary schools in Ife.
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 6:39pm On Jan 02, 2011
fstrangest:

Ode@
WHo is talking about OAU? I am talking about Moremi high School, one of the shyytiest secondary schools in Ife.

You had written:

Is this school not affiliated with OAU?
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 6:44pm On Jan 02, 2011
omongbatic:

You had wrote:

Is this school not affiliated with OAU?

No, it is on the campus, but it is a[b] state[/b] school.

OAU has an international school

From Wikipedia:

Moremi High School is a government-run secondary school within the campus of Obafemi Awolowo University (previously University of Ife), Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. Moremi High School was the first ever secondary school, built within the university and opened its doors to its first set of students in 1977.
The name of the school originates from Queen Moremi Ajasoro, the famous Yoruba deity who escaped with tribal secrets from the[b] Igbos that led to their defeat by the Yorubas.[/b]
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 6:45pm On Jan 02, 2011
Lagbaja:

Can you stick to one thing?

It is either the Ife teachers are good (in which case all the students, and not just one of them, should be good)
Or
They dash marks to non-Yerubas (in which case Ife is a fake, certificate dashing place)
Or

Stella is the best (in which case an Igbo student beat Yoruba students in their own domain)
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 6:51pm On Jan 02, 2011
omongbatic:

Lagbaja:

Can you stick to one thing?

It is either the Ife teachers are good (in which case all the students, and not just one of them, should be good)
Or
They dash marks to non-Yerubas (in which case Ife is a fake, certificate dashing place)
Or

Stella is the best (in which case an Igbo student beat Yoruba students in their own domain)

Whatever!

All I know is that without the Yorubas, Igbos are nothing academically, politically, and in everything

That is my stand!
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 6:54pm On Jan 02, 2011
[/quote]

Ijebu Igbo you mean.lol[quote author=fstrangest link=topic=578036.msg7449288#msg7449288 date=1293990695]
Whatever!

All I know is that without the Yorubas, Igbos are nothing academically, politically, and in everything

That is my stand!

In your dreams.

Be reminded that a blind/deaf/dumb/cripple Igbo is better than a complete-bodied Yoruba. It has been proven time and time again. God made it so.
Re: First Nigerian In Space by Becomrich12: 6:54pm On Jan 02, 2011
The Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammed Sa'adu Abubakar , should be the first to go space, that way, he can tell his people , what he saw from the space station. it will bring peace of mine to his people, they would trust him.

Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 6:59pm On Jan 02, 2011
Lagbaja:

What did you have in mind when you created this thread? I thought you wanted to surprise us with a Yuruba-man-in-space news.
Then I hit you with an Igbo bombshell. lol
And you began your Ife, moremi, Yoruba blah! blah!! blah!!!
Re: First Nigerian In Space by fstrangest: 7:08pm On Jan 02, 2011
omongbatic:

Lagbaja:

What did you have in mind when you created this thread? I thought you wanted to surprise us with a Yuruba-man-in-space news.
Then I hit you with an Igbo bombshell. lol
And you began your Ife, moremi, Yoruba blah! blah!! blah!!!

I knew about her

I know people who know her.

She did not go into space, she just went to the kennedy space station to experience what space is like

just wanted to know if there are astronauts of Yoruba extraction out there. That said, i do know that Yorubas run the African space research whatever.
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 7:12pm On Jan 02, 2011
fstrangest:

just wanted to know if there are astronauts of Yoruba extraction out there. That said, i do know that Yorubas run the African space research whatever.

Yoruba run what? Yes, there is one centre at OAU but also one at UNN. Most likely the one in Ife will be run by Igbo-Yoruba combo (as usual with most things in the SW, while the one in UNN will be 100% Igbo run

The Space Research Centre, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
P. N. Okeke
Space Research Centre
University of Nigeria at Nsukka
misunn@aol.com

1. Origins and membership
The Space Research Centre, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (SRC-UNN), was founded in 1972 by Prof. S.E. Okoye - a Cambridge-trained radio astronomer and former student of Professor Hewish. Prof. Okoye established this group as a research unit in the Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Nigeria. Since then, and until recently, it has remained the only space research centre in Nigeria and, in fact, one of the few places in Africa where astronomy teaching and research is carried out at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Prof. Okoye continued to pilot the group until he took ill in 1989, which necessitated that he should be based in the U.K. However, the group still consults him from time to time for valuable advice andassistance.Other members of the group include: Prof. P.N. Okeke - the new leader of the group, Dr.(Mrs) L.I.Onuora - a cosmologist who recently transferred to the U.K, but who is still very helpful to the group, both as an adviser and a consultant, Dr. A.A. Ubachukwu and J.O. Ogwo - cosmology/radio astronomy, Dr. (Mrs) F.N. Okeke and A.B. Rabiu - solar-terrestrial interactions, geomagnetism and radio propagation, J.O. Urama and M.O. Asogwa - pulsar observations and solar flare energetics, Dr. A.G. Warmate, S. Sigalo and M.W. Anyakoha - plasma and particle Astrophysics (collaborators in other Nigerian Universities). In addition, the Centre currently has two PhD and four MSc students. In the past 10 years, the group has graduated a total of seven PhD and ten MSc students in various areas of astrophysicsandspace science. Three former students of the group are currently continuing their research in USA, and five others have taken appointment as lecturers in other universities in Nigeria. These lecturers are now making efforts to establish teaching and research in astronomy for the first time in these institutions.

2. Research activities
The group has wide interests in various areas of astronomy and space science: high-energy and particle astrophysics, cosmology, radio observations of pulsars and active galactic nuclei, optical observations of binary stars, astrophysical spectral studies and analysis, solar flare energetics, solar-terrestrial interactions and geomagnetism, and radio propagation.

The group made an initial attempt in 1984 to install and operate a 10-metre radio dish, unfortunately due to lack of infrastructural facilities, power supply, communication network and financial support the project could not be sustained. Subsequent efforts made in recent years by the group to have its own observational facilities, all met with similar problems of lack of financial support from the Government and absence of infrastructural facilities. Since then the group resorted to international collaborative ventures with more advanced countries in order to contribute effectively to international astronomical research.

3. International collaboration and support
The Space Research Centre at Nsukka maintains strong links with: Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Krugersdorp, South Africa, the South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) in Cape Town and the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in USA. Within the past 10 years the group has been able to publish a total of over fifty articles in reputable journals of astronomy and astrophysics. This has been possible as a result of assistance received from various organisations and institutes, particularly the International Astronomical Union (IAU), HartRAO, and SAAO, who have rendered valuable assistance with travel grants and subsistence allowances to our members as well as donations of journals and preprints. The group acknowledges the valuable support and assistance it has received from the Institute of Astronomy Cambridge, U.K, the National Astronomical Observatory Japan, Otacamund Radio Astronomical Observatory, India, the German DAAD, and the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, U.S.A, for assistance offered to our members. The group is unable to afford journal subscriptions, but is kept abreast of developments by a number of institutes who provide regular reprints. In this regard, SRC-UNN is particularly grateful to the Director of Jodrell Bank Observatory, Prof. Rod Davies, for recently donating a large number of astrophysical journals.

Figure 1: Members of the Space Research Centre at Nsukka.
Back: A.E. Chukwude, J.O. Urama, M.O. Asogwa, R.N. Eze.
Front: Dr. A.A. Ubachukwu, Prof. P.N. Okeke (Dir.), Ms J.N. Ogwo

4. Funding
The greatest problem retarding the progress of the group is that of complete lack of funds to solve any of its problems. The group currently depends on charity. It has no specific financial support either from the University of Nigeria Nsukka or theGovernment. Our group plans to continue its efforts to promote within the Nigerian Government recognition of the impor
Re: First Nigerian In Space by omongbatic: 7:14pm On Jan 02, 2011

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian flashpoint city Jos: Army shoot-to-kill orders - BBC / Steps That Will Show Whether Jonathan Will Be An Effective And Efficient Leader / Yaradua Vs Jonathan - Physical Coma Vs Mental Coma?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.