Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians (52271 Views)

Calabar Monorail In Perfect Condition But No Patronage – Tinapa MD / Christmas: Lagos Beer Parlour Operators Lament Low Patronage / London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by BABANGBALI: 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2015
VickyRotex:

You wey never reach Airport see cheesy
you think i live in Nigeria?i live in UK, Los Angeles to be precised. Keep hating.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 11:17pm On Nov 15, 2015
janellemonae:

Oga what point are u trying to make exactly? I am CATEGORICALLY TELLING u DT market women DT sell lace and shoes in Nigeria (mostly yoruba women) troop there ALL THE TIME to buy LOADS of stuff. Have u ever bn there? Pple buy shoe/bag set in massive Ghana must go and cargo it home. Same wt d lace. Very few pple even go there to buy single stuff. They buy to resell cos they do massive wholesales. Where do u think balogun women get there lace?. Some of them DT are made bring in containers from south Korea or import directly from Switzerland but majority of them starting out buy from Liverpool street. DT market has bn there for decades and kept growing. Why wld d market be full of buyers and sellers if pple are not buying? Nobody goes there to buy Argos items and high street clothes. Why are u arguing over somewhere uve never been. Jeeez!!!
ahah I now know where you are coming from,The market i n question is different from what you think,the bit you are talking about are teh shops on commercial rd not the market itself.the market has mainly stalls which sells different stuff different days.you can check thier website,and get an idea of what Im talking about. here http://www.oldspitalfieldsmarket.com/shops
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 11:17pm On Nov 15, 2015
BABANGBALI:
you think i live in Nigeria?i live in UK, Los Angeles to be precised. Keep hating.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by VickyRotex(f): 11:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
BABANGBALI:

Haaaaaa!!! shocked

#Faints cheesy
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by ATERI(m): 11:40pm On Nov 15, 2015
BABANGBALI:

That is more like it. Abeg let them know
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2015
erico2k2:

chie ahah E don dooh,we know say U never reach London b4 but stick to what you know, just cos they call it central line does not mean it only plies central london,,it goes from West london to East london hence its called the central line the post code of the market is E1 6EW, now is that central london
I know how d train plies oga. The central line even goes up north to Essex - which is not in London. I was trying to make a point abt an area in zone1 u called a cheap area where no one goes. Liverpool street is not in east London. Check ur postcodes. Its EC in DT whole area. EC is central london. Hence it being in d centre of d 'city'- business district. I don't know anything abt ur links or d name of d place, all I know is u come out of Liverpool street station, turn left, go BTW some buildings & u see d market, like a 3minute walk. Frankly I'm tired of this convo. Have a good night.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by christinie(f): 4:56am On Nov 16, 2015
All those people chanting change can now see that change can be either negative or positive. Buhari is a huge scam.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Truckpusher(m): 5:07am On Nov 16, 2015
christinie:
All those people chanting change can now see that change be either negative or positive. Buhari is a huge scam.
Reality is finally dawned on them. grin

1 Like

Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Truckpusher(m): 5:08am On Nov 16, 2015
VickyRotex:

Haaaaaa!!! shocked

#Faints cheesy
Only on NL . cheesy
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Truckpusher(m): 5:09am On Nov 16, 2015
BABANGBALI:
Crase girl , how kpomo market? cheesy
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by VickyRotex(f): 6:02am On Nov 16, 2015
Truckpusher:
Only on NL . cheesy

I tell you grin
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by christinie(f): 7:13am On Nov 16, 2015
Honestly. They are jubiliating that their fellow Nigerians can't do their businesses any more because of Buhari's policies. By the time they realise the negative effects of this in our society it would have been too late for them to complain.

Truckpusher:
Reality is finally dawned on them. grin
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by BABANGBALI: 8:23am On Nov 16, 2015
Truckpusher:
Crase girl , how kpomo market? cheesy
you wan chop? tongue
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by IndianaJay: 9:01am On Nov 16, 2015
Why won't Liverpool street market close?

When they refuse to give honest Nigerians visa to trade, thinking they will be flight risks??

Make the British people patronise their Sunday market on their own na...

Nonsense.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by kaboninc(m): 10:47am On Nov 16, 2015
lastpage:

Let us stop decieving ourselves!

This Govt has NOT SAID you cant spend as much as you wish.

What the Govt said is that if you want to SPEND ABOVE THE PRESCRIBE LIMIT,.... THEN YOU CANT DO IT BY CASH.... BUT BY BANK TRANSFERS!
EVEN IF IT IS TEN BILLION DOLLARS YOU WANT TO SPEND, JUST WIRE IT TO THE BENEFICIARY!

The reason for this we all know: to ENSURE TRACEABILITY.

But criminals with illegal money, Drug money, Ritual Money, Looted Funds, Kidnap money DONT WANT SUCH MONEY TRACEABLE SO THEY ARE BENT ON DOING CASH!

Even in the U.K, can you ever enter a Shop and spend 2,000GBP (Pounds Sterling) and not expect the financial crimes agents to "ask you some questions"?

I have tried to pay cash at an electronics shop some years back (just 400GBP) ans was turned down and asked to "use my Credit card" instead.
At another time, l wanted to buy a Vehicle for my wife, l wanted to withdraw the cash from my Bank (and l was drilled a lot, despite the fact that it is my money: What l wanted to do with it, why l cant just transfer it to the seller's account, e.t.c) but at the end of the day, l was hinted by a bank staff that l shoudl not draw unnecessary attention to myself by carrying large sums in cash around and that it is the preserve of criminals.

I agreed and ask the seller to furnish me with his account details (IBAN and BIC numbers) and l did the transaction flawlessly.

In every bank, and every country, there is an "Anti-Money laundering regulation" which amongst other things, "flags" all transactions over a certain limit.
Such transactions are "traced and vetted"....... and once you can explain the source of the funds, you are all good to go.

So, what is the hyper-ventilating about?

Do those people in Liverpool not have Bank accounts?
Do they not have Debit/Credit Card Readers?
Do Nigerian banks not have the ability to pay for your goods, right from here, to any part of the country?

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE NOISE ABOUT IF NOT JUST BECAUSE OF SOME CRIMINAL ACTIVITY THAT SOME WANT TO ENGAGE IN?
*Some want to use Forext bought from the CBN (at a very low rate) to import banned/proscribed goods!
*Some want t get the Forex from CBN on some false pretext while using it for another thing
*Some know they cant explain the source of that money and thus, want to remain under the radar.

Well, tough-luck!
The policy is here to stay.....and we are already seeing the positive results as Nigeria has been largely stable, despite the low receipts from crude oil sales. It has even show signs of appreciation against major currencies.

If you dont like it, please "Port to South Africa"! grin grin tongue tongue

God bless and strengthen Buhari so that he can complete the good work he has started in Nigeria.
may all the enemies of Nigeria be confused and put to shame. May they be scattered like chaff, before the wind with the angel of jehovah chasing them all about............. AMEN.
undecided undecided

Lastpage!

I ought to cross this post because "it is unnecessarily too long" but I'll let it stay. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by kolexepana: 12:06pm On Nov 16, 2015
Nigerians so influential all around the globe
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by deolumike(m): 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2015
Being Nigeria, a simple process such as registering a business name or incorporating a company can be tasking. many people have encountered problems and difficulties going through this process because they lack adequate knowledge on the subject be it a limited liability company, sole proprietorship or partnership as the case may be.

I'm sure you understand the benefits of registering your business and company among which are the following:
1. It confers on your company a legal personality status, such that you can sue, or
be sued.
2. It also prepares you for professional business lifestyle and,
3. It builds clientele trust.

I can register your business name or company for you at an affordable price.
Please contact me via this medium; deolumike@gmail.com
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 2:18pm On Nov 16, 2015
janellemonae:

I know how d train plies oga. The central line even goes up north to Essex - which is not in London. I was trying to make a point abt an area in zone1 u called a cheap area where no one goes. Liverpool street is not in east London. Check ur postcodes. Its EC in DT whole area. EC is central london. Hence it being in d centre of d 'city'- business district. I don't know anything abt ur links or d name of d place, all I know is u come out of Liverpool street station, turn left, go BTW some buildings & u see d market, like a 3minute walk. Frankly I'm tired of this convo. Have a good night.
So U nor see the the postcode it's E. 1 stop being ignorant I have lived in London for 15 years. I actually live less than 30 mins from Liverpool street.it's not central London I gave you the postcode to the area It's E 1 .that means East 1
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 2:20pm On Nov 16, 2015
IndianaJay:
Why won't Liverpool street market close?

When they refuse to give honest Nigerians visa to trade, thinking they will be flight risks??

Make the British people patronise their Sunday market on their own na...

Nonsense.
Bross the market no close nor mind dem.if the market wan close we go first hear am for local news
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 16, 2015
EternalTruths:
Can you see what the JUJU called CHANGE has caused

We hope the suffercated people waste of NIGERIA are happy grin grin
You gath problem understanding English
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Johnbosco77(m): 3:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
janellemonae:

I know d market. Its in Liverpool street and large. Takes about 10/11 streets. Its like a mini balogun market. Yoruba women everywhere. Even d Arabs and polish pple selling shoes there will speak Yoruba to u. True story. You find all sorts of swiss lace and Italian shoes & bag set there. On a normal day its ALWAYS teeming wt crowd and in d summer shoppers come wt their boxes to buy swiss lace & shoe sets in bulk to take to Nigeria. Its sooooo cheap. I went there when I had a Naija wedding to attend in London. Lace DT goes for like 100,000 for 5 yards in Lagos, I bought for 50pounds. Calculate DT crazy profit! U will even find Mr Ade tailoring services in d market sef. Lmao! If u want to sew native in london u go to liverpool street. DT market has existed for decades. Shame its shutting down.
thanks for the info dear. wish I can see there with my eyes. naija dn tire me.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 5:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
Johnbosco77:

thanks for the info dear. wish I can see there with my eyes. naija dn tire me.

Oga there's no place like home. If only we could make Nigeria better. We have a very very very long way to go but there's no heaven on earth. Everyone built their country and as rich as developed countries are they still have their challenges.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 16, 2015
erico2k2:

So U nor see the the postcode it's E. 1 stop being ignorant I have lived in London for 15 years. I actually live less than 30 mins from Liverpool street.it's not central London I gave you the postcode to the area It's E 1 .that means East 1

Arrogant ignorance. Lived 15yrs in London indeed. Lmao! Even a dullard DT travelled to London once in his life can NEVER call Liverpool street east London.

U have no idea where east London is oga? First u said a mkt (u know nothing abt) is in d SE & is so small its for poor pple in an area nobody goes to. And no nigerian shops there. You said it so proudly. I had to stop u from lying to pple here. You then started dillydallying around d place abt different locations of d mkt. And then someone calls it spitafield and u quiclly went to google and brought link. SMH. All d while u dont even have any idea where im talking abt. Cos if u did u wld know d crowd & composition of nigerians dt shop there. You probably think its a small mkt dt closes down 1 street on sundays, like u see around different towns in d UK. Lmao!

You should ask where Stratford and d Olympic village is. Dts east. If u want to really go east to barking and co, u even have to get off d tube and get onto national rail. Stop brandishing E1 all over d place. I have explained to u dt d market I'm talking abt is just outside Liverpool street station. Its not in E1. Liverpool street is NOT E1. Liverpool street is Eastern central, Google is a friend, EC IS CENTRAL LONDON!!!!!!!!
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 6:56pm On Nov 16, 2015
janellemonae:

Arrogant ignorance. Lived 15yrs in London indeed. Lmao! Even a dullard DT travelled to London once in his life can NEVER call Liverpool street east London.

U have no idea where east London is oga? First u said a mkt (u know nothing abt) is in d SE & is so small its for poor pple in an area nobody goes to. And no nigerian shops there. You said it so proudly. I had to stop u from lying to pple here. You then started dillydallying around d place abt different locations of d mkt. And then someone calls it spitafield and u quiclly went to google and brought link. SMH. All d while u dont even have any idea where im talking abt. Cos if u did u wld know d crowd & composition of nigerians dt shop there. You probably think its a small mkt dt closes down 1 street on sundays, like u see around different towns in d UK. Lmao!

You should ask where Stratford and d Olympic village is. Dts east. If u want to really go east to barking and co, u even have to get off d tube and get onto national rail. Stop brandishing E1 all over d place. I have explained to u dt d market I'm talking abt is just outside Liverpool street station. Its not in E1. Liverpool street is NOT E1. Liverpool street is Eastern central, Google is a friend, EC IS CENTRAL LONDON!!!!!!!!
My friend just cos I'm pointing you to the right direction does not mean I'm calling you stupid.the market is in East London.that's the a dress. Now as U can see it's in East of London. It's not EC.sometimes unexpected arguments pop from lack of enlightenment. Learn to refrain from name calling you might learn more.

Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 6:58pm On Nov 16, 2015
So abeg how does E1 6EW qualify as central london?
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 7:21pm On Nov 16, 2015
Atigbo o, Mr Liverpool street is east London. No Nigerian buys goods in d market.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by sonnie10: 8:59pm On Nov 16, 2015
I will try to explain my understanding of the whole issue of dollar restriction as it relates to closing of the London flea market. In doing so, I will talk about so many small details that might seem unrelated but when you add them all up, you will get the clear picture. I will also use some everyday examples so as to keep things simple.

In Nigeria, there are so many mushroom buying and selling business who are into foreign consumer products, these are the ones that are badly hit by $4500 maximum travel expenses by Buhari's government. Unlike before, people could travel with almost unrestricted amount of money they wish to although officially it used to be $10k. Take for instance, a boutique owner who sell assorted clothing from various designers, and also shoes, belts, ties, sunglasses, caps, watched etc, it used to be that they carry their money and travel abroad, buy from different wholesale stores and pay cash or swipe their cards as the case maybe. At the end, all the items are packed and shipped to Nigeria.

However, things are different now, they can no longer travel with so much cash. One important thing that need to be mentioned here is that most of those items were contraband in Nigeria, at least on paper. I said on paper because the goods still find there way into the country. From the airport to the seaport, it is business as usual, except your are not a "business man" or just unfortunate to have your goods arrive when the Oga at the top was desperate for money. Then, the Oga would rather impound the goods to resell for more money. That was and is still the other of the day.

Then comes the new dollar policy, as if that was not enough so many more items were added to the list of prohibited goods. Another issue was that banks could no longer accept dollar deposit into dorm account. The plan is to curtail the demand on foreign exchange, so we were told. So going back to the the boutique owner. He now has two obstacles; one, he can't travel with more than $4500 and secondly, he is now aware that those goods were actually contraband.

So why is his neighbor who sells imported Roofing sheet still bringing in container load of goods every week? How does he get his own dollars? The answer is simple, that neighbor is selling an item(s) that is not under import restriction. The neighbor has a registered business and a registered foreign product by the relevant agencies (soncap, Nafdac) in Nigeria. So, that makes it easy for him to transact (make payment in dollars) through his bank with his foreign partners. He just walks into his bank, fill the necessary papers and shows evidence of product approval by the govt agencies. Right away, the bank transfers what ever amount of money he requires to the partner overseas at official bank rate.

Now, compare the two business men and decide for yourself who is smarter between the two men. However, not everyone has the resources, information and education to go into those formal processes. Like the boutique owner, all types of informal small businesses can never get bank approval for their goods because majority of those are contraband and not registered products by any govt. agency. So it seems as if those type of businesses are in for a hard time in this present govt. Just like the London market, many would close shops.

But when good intentions are pursed with harsh policies, a lot of people are bound to suffer. Therefore, the pros and cons of policies have to weighed; for example the effect on local production, employment and trade balance as against the suffering of majority of small businesses who have for years, seen nothing wrong or illegal about how they have been going about their business. You can image what the reaction of a boutique owner in Nigeria would be if you walk into his shop and tell him that the business he has been doing for years is not legitimate.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 16, 2015
sonnie10:
I will try to explain my understanding of the whole issue of dollar restriction as it relates to closing of the London flea market. In doing so, I will talk about so many small details that might seem unrelated but when you add them all up, you will get the clear picture. I will also use some everyday examples so as to keep things simple.

In Nigeria, there are so many mushroom buying and selling business who are into foreign consumer products, these are the ones that are badly hit by $4500 maximum travel expenses by Buhari's government. Unlike before, people could travel with almost unrestricted amount of money they wish to although officially it used to be $10k. Take for instance, a boutique owner who sell assorted clothing from various designers, and also shoes, belts, ties, sunglasses, caps, watched etc, it used to be that they carry their money and travel abroad, buy from different wholesale stores and pay cash or swipe their cards as the case maybe. At the end, all the items are packed and shipped to Nigeria.

However, things are different now, they can no longer travel with so much cash. One important thing that need to be mentioned here is that most of those items were contraband in Nigeria, at least on paper. I said on paper because the goods still find there way into the country. From the airport to the seaport, it is business as usual, except your are not a "business man" or just unfortunate to have your goods arrive when the Oga at the top was desperate for money. Then, the Oga would rather impound the goods to resell for more money. That was and is still the other of the day.

Then comes the new dollar policy, as if that was not enough so many more items were added to the list of prohibited goods. Another issue was that banks could no longer accept dollar deposit into dorm account. The plan is to curtail the demand on foreign exchange, so we were told. So going back to the the boutique owner. He now has two obstacles; one, he can't travel with more than $4500 and secondly, he is now aware that those goods were actually contraband.

So why is his neighbor who sells imported Roofing sheet still bringing in container load of goods every week? How does he get his own dollars? The answer is simple, that neighbor is selling an item(s) that is not under import restriction. The neighbor has a registered business and a registered foreign product by the relevant agencies (soncap, Nafdac) in Nigeria. So, that makes it easy for him to transact (make payment in dollars) through his bank with his foreign partners. He just walks into his bank, fill the necessary papers and shows evidence of product approval by the govt agencies. Right away, the bank transfers what ever amount of money he requires to the partner overseas at official bank rate.

Now, compare the two business men and decide for yourself who is smarter between the two men. However, not everyone has the resources, information and education to go into those formal processes. Like the boutique owner, all types of informal small businesses can never get bank approval for their goods because majority of those are contraband and not registered products by any govt. agency. So it seems as if those type of businesses are in for a hard time in this present govt. Just like the London market, many would close shops.

But when good intentions are pursed with harsh policies, a lot of people are bound to suffer. Therefore, the pros and cons of policies have to weighed; for example the effect on local production, employment and trade balance as against the suffering of majority of small businesses who have for years, seen nothing wrong or illegal about how they have been going about their business. You can image what the reaction of a boutique owner in Nigeria would be if you walk into his shop and tell him that the business he has been doing for years is not legitimate.

You've said it all. I'm not surprised dis MKT is having serious reduction in sales, majority of their Nigerian customers don't have registered businesses & d forex issues are affecting everyone. Pple are now swallowing cash instead of drugs.

Its extreme protectionist measures d govt is taking but I understand d reason. It wld be a different issue if our economy wasn't tanking wt each reduction in crude oil price but d reality is, it is.

We have to do everything to stabilize d currency. In d long run d measures yield results if pple are patient and diversify into other businesses beneficial to d economy. And also if d govt sees it thru not dillydallying every 3months. Its unfortunate we are not there yet mentally (I mean diversifying to local production), but our current problems are demanding drastic solutions.
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 17, 2015
....... If only the new Nigerian economic policies impact Nigerian residents positively........ no comment yet. #TeamOptimist
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by erico2k2(m): 6:09am On Nov 17, 2015
sonnie10:

Dear sir/Madam, i can see you are intelligent, however don't always believe in these half backed journalists in Nigeria who are quick to draw attention to themselves cos they just want to sell.That market is more than 400 years Old, during the previous Economic recession the market did not fold even though it affected its major importers from Turkey and china so why would the Nigerian Economy Affect the market, the market is still waht it is.TO further rubbish this news the actual part that sells the goods people go and buy whole sale is not in the actual stalls itself ie not in the actual market but in a nearby street called commercial street.There are more than one market in the area who open 7 days and sell different stuff every day why this one, we have Brick lane market nearby as well So my friend do not believe all the lies posted by journalist you can actually ring the market itself and make your own Enquiry and you will be surprised 02073752963 that's the number
From ur analysis, your got it right but that policy might be canter productive as its good for a manufacturing economy, we cannot even refine petrol to which we have loads of its raw materials.
In other news, its a good time for Nigerians who live and work i n teh Uk as they now have Hard currency to spend, the £ to N is 350 today's rate.So its a good time for anybody with British Passport to return back to the Uk to hustle as they will earn Loads.Now you check this maths,since the Uk £ is so strong, its £1 is $1.5 and £1 is 1.4 Euro,WOuld you come to buy stuff like Lace from the Uk even though the Uk do not produce these lace? they come from Turkey,china and India? would it not make more sense to go to these places instead as their currency is still fairer?.back in the days, I use to buy up to 40-50 hand set to sell in Nigeria each time i go home,usually cost me max £4500, I sell them whole and make up N6-N700k,now its impossible.Now a mare £100 phone already cost N35k at point of purchase.These are everyday phones not the top of the range ie £600 worth.So goods coming from the Uk into Nigeria would be limited greatly not cos of this policy but cos of the strength of the British Pounds.So in all E nor Easy to buy from UK and sell in Nigeria these days.the economy is not smiling
Re: London Market Closing Due To ‘low Patronage’ From Nigerians by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 03, 2015
janellemonae:

I know d market. Its in Liverpool street and large. Takes about 10/11 streets. Its like a mini balogun market. Yoruba women everywhere. Even d Arabs and polish pple selling shoes there will speak Yoruba to u. True story. You find all sorts of swiss lace and Italian shoes & bag set there. On a normal day its ALWAYS teeming wt crowd and in d summer shoppers come wt their boxes to buy swiss lace & shoe sets in bulk to take to Nigeria. Its sooooo cheap. I went there when I had a Naija wedding to attend in London. Lace DT goes for like 100,000 for 5 yards in Lagos, I bought for 50pounds. Calculate DT crazy profit! U will even find Mr Ade tailoring services in d market sef. Lmao! If u want to sew native in london u go to liverpool street. DT market has existed for decades. Shame its shutting down.

Funny you should say that
Some of us go to Naija to buy our lace
Its much cheaper in Balogun & with more variety sef.
One yeye ankara I bought from Liverpool street for £30 was N1,000 in gbagi market angry

The market has just come to the end of its life
Its slap bang in the middle of the city and developers have converted most the shops to flats . . it was to be expected at some point
Most probably the shop landlords sold the whole property to property developers.

China has brought their own trade in
Aliexpress has spoilt market for these people too
and ladies don't tend to wear those bogus shoe and bag sets that they sell
Now ladies were anything to parties and only thick madams wear lace these days

besides the quality of some of the items sold in the market isnt that great, so repeat customers will be low and eventually taper off altogether.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Diamonds Dangote Shopped For His Daughter, Fatima Dangote's Wedding / Modupe Alakija Suspended By Ikoyi Club For Slapping Member / Different Nigerians You'll Meet In The Bank.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.