Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,265 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering (30945 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Complete A Masters Degree In Nigerian Universities? / Ufot Ekong Receives His Master Degree In Electrical & Electronic Engineering / Nigerian Quadruplets Graduates Simultaneously with Masters Degree In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by lordmizzy: 9:17pm On Nov 18, 2015
go for nursing since you've already gained admission.... #RepEngr
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by angiography(m): 9:18pm On Nov 18, 2015
voltron:

Look at it from the long-term earnings and hire-appeal side, both are valued high-in-demand jobs overseas.. Elect Eng. pays higher on the long run. why narrow your focus to Nigeria
That 'higher pay in the long run' is a relative statement, you will agree with me.

My point to him tho is that he doesn't really has a flair for nursing. He applied into medicine only to be DASHED nursing... Lol, that's mine field of low self esteem....

And he further said he's soo gud in engineering and bla bla bla...that he loves it... I think it's clear, he has passion for engineering

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by sharply5: 9:19pm On Nov 18, 2015
ASHTAROTH:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

The issues I have now are:

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

Ashtaroth 'Owo

You already have what you always desired and have a passion for-Engineering.Nursing or whatever else it was were and is just a distraction.Go for your passion.Quote me later.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by PHATE007(f): 9:19pm On Nov 18, 2015
damton:
No rules just act as you like. This is a jungle no rules apply. it's a platform for bashing and disses .
Hope have been helpful.
yes u have been very helpful.. Thanks much
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by PHATE007(f): 9:19pm On Nov 18, 2015
damton:
No rules just act as you like. This is a jungle no rules apply. it's a platform for bashing and disses .
Hope have been helpful.
yes u have been very helpful.. Thanks much
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2015
angiography:

That 'higher pay in the long run' is a relative statement, you will agree with me.

My point to him tho is that he doesn't really has a flair for nursing. He applied into medicine only to be DASHED nursing... Lol, that's mine field of low self esteem....
And he further said he's soo gud in engineering and bla bla bla...that he loves it... I think it's clear, he has passion for engineering

da niccur not serious and age is not on his side with all that 2-year dough in his pocket!! Naija never change am for am.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:20pm On Nov 18, 2015
baddyoosha:
TEXT NURSE/ELECT TO 33550 TO KNOW THE BEST DECISION TO MAKE IM SURE MTN GOT THE BEST .

...text AY EMPLOYMENT to 33550 to AY the comedian to do audition with him for comedian job....
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ihatebuhari(f): 9:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
flexxyworld:

Believe me when I say you really got a bright future behind you @ DP
thanks
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by dollarathe(m): 9:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
pus96:
[size=18pt]

We are operating the British system of government Inside the country of the kingdom of western Nigeria

Meet members of the upper house of the states Inside the country of the kingdom of western Nigeria. You are not to pay taxes to Nigeria.

You have no business with Nigeria Senate and House of rep, the people there are call diaspora senators and house of rep. it is not your business. there are only there for business reason . the law they make in Nigeria senate and house of rep, only cover just 26 states

Generation illiterate olodo ,Dont put buhari picture in your offices..
[/size]

Picture of Ondo state members of the ondo upper house and mimiko

Lagos state upper house

h[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt6ueppb03t9l.050fdf7f.jpg[/img]

Delta state upper house members

[img]http://flashpointnews.files./2012/05/traditional-rulers.jpg[/img]

Oyo state upper house members

Kwara upper house members

Ekiti state Upper house

Ogun state Upper House

Kogi state Upper house
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3090073_images1_jpegd981a8b1fae6a56cbfd792de36a93677

Edo state Upper house

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3090289_untitled_jpegf00b416e41190686e1165a3b44a1bf51

what will u tell ur kids wen they need advice from u. I pray Google is always available
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by ASHTAROTH: 9:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
Crispels:

One of the University is LASU?

Yes it is
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by PHATE007(f): 9:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
Baboo13:

Fi picture e is
From there a mo next line of action
say what?
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Yonddaime(m): 9:26pm On Nov 18, 2015
follow your passion!!!!
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by speedyGonzales: 9:29pm On Nov 18, 2015
PHATE007:
thanks much dearie... But I'll have to take a pass on ur Offer

haha! okay! there are no rules here! but watch out for propaganda and false news... you should be fine!

best of luck then, cheerio!
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2015
PHATE007:
Hello nairalanders! Am a newbie... So what are d rules?
...the rule is simple - just don't misyarn or misspeak.....
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Codedworld1: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2015
plz go for nursing..
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Niseamaka(m): 9:32pm On Nov 18, 2015
gomegie:

Shine your eyes folks.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Ak4me(m): 9:32pm On Nov 18, 2015
My advice for you is that in Nigeria contest, its not d course you study that matters rather than what you can do in a place of working. Some pple study yoruba and then find themselves working in d banks while some study banking n finance but find selves jobless. I would advice you follow what your mind choose for you so in future u don't regret. Nursing is good for ladies and u are a guy, to me electrical engineering will be good.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Richy4(m): 9:33pm On Nov 18, 2015
I would have loved for you to mention the state in North because I am really scared for you man.

everyone will really want you to be alive first before you start talking about career....

All the courses you mentioned here are good but what I am worried about is your safety...

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Yonddaime(m): 9:33pm On Nov 18, 2015
follow where you can make landmark not money..cos when you meet the needs of the ppl n u'r good at what u do,money will find you...
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by mikrizz: 9:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
I think The Elect Elect grin would be a gpod choice.Although i don't have a flarr for the Medic field.

I also need an advice too Before i also make this big step.Anyway to get straight to the Point, What Do You Guys Think Of Petroleum Engineering!??Do You Think It'll Be Prominent and Profitable in The next 15-30 years(lol)? Do You think There will be Needed? pls i need Ur Views Asap.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Baboo13(m): 9:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
PHATE007:
say what?
I mean let's see your pic fess
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Baboo13(m): 9:36pm On Nov 18, 2015
speedyGonzales:

haha! okay! there are no rules here! but watch out for propaganda and false news... you should be fine!

best of luck then, cheerio!

Lmaoooooo propaganda
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by HaneefahRN(f): 9:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
They are both wonderful courses. My only advice is choose what u're passionate abt. It's obvious u av a gud ground in engineering already, if that is what u want pursue it. Please, I beg u don't go for nursing, if u don't av passion for it, cos when things get rough, ur passion will be the only thn keeping u going, but if it was neva there, there will be problem.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by vision2050: 9:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
Your issue so complicated.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Khez: 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
Nurse Eliza grin
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by busyfishing(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2015
NURSING
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by precious556: 9:44pm On Nov 18, 2015
ASHTAROTH:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

The issues I have now are:

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

Ashtaroth 'Owo

I will be very frank with you.
I was in your shoes about 15yrs ago. Try and reach me by sending me pm. Them we discuss it

NB: Now I have Qualifications in engineering, med and Accounting.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Ephraimi(m): 9:46pm On Nov 18, 2015
Go for your passion! Personally, I don't fancy the idea of reading nursing for 5years. I would rather go for medicine instead.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by kpolli(m): 9:47pm On Nov 18, 2015
So you've always dreamed of being an Electrical Engineer but was given other courses to study and you always turned it down. Now suddenly (because of a fictional series) fell for Medicine but again got a lesser course (in Nursing) but this time you're considering it compared to your original love......

I have just broken down your scenario for you...

You never loved taking the lesser course but suddenly it's now alright because of TV.

The choice is yours
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by makizee(m): 9:49pm On Nov 18, 2015
Do the one you love more.....That's the simplest advice i can give

I read a course i thought i loved....turns out i loved something more
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Jonwesley(m): 9:49pm On Nov 18, 2015
My take is, it was medicine you wanted before you were offered Nursing. Both are not the same hence your fancy is not what was offered. Now U have a better grasp of Engineering, having had an ND and working experience and some savings that can run the Engineering course. Take the Elect/Elect course. Note well that Nursing will require some constant training as mandated by the Nursing & midwifery councils which expire with time. You will play second fiddle with doctors who will outshine U and create a mind in you to go and study medicine after your degree in nursing and all that. Then if the other admissions come positive, we can review the options then, but don't miss ur chances now as a bird at hand is better than ten U are chasing which may never come to ur hand.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Babangida Ahmad, BUK Student Slumps, Dies In Hostel (Photos) / Top 100 Universities In Nigeria 2018: By 4 International Colleges & Universities / JAMB Orders Candidates To Upload Their O'Level Results Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.