Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering (30997 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Complete A Masters Degree In Nigerian Universities? / Ufot Ekong Receives His Master Degree In Electrical & Electronic Engineering / Nigerian Quadruplets Graduates Simultaneously with Masters Degree In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by king100(m): 11:13pm On Nov 18, 2015
Ramos16:
what is wrong with you man, how can u advice him to go for hnd over university, where do you come from.
I know so many of you are still crazy for university degrees without valuable skills. I think you know the number of graduates are roaming the streets looking for jobs. Degrees without basic skills needed by employers are just meal tickets.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by femi4: 11:21pm On Nov 18, 2015
ASHTAROTH:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

The issues I have now are:

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

Ashtaroth 'Owo
You already have a solid foundation in Electrical Engineering. Chances of working in all manner of sectors is very high.

Starting afresh with nursing might come with some struggles academically. Also, nursing will restrict your working chances after graduation to few sectors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
nursing is a professional course most engrx end up as physics maths and even technical drawing teachers
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by pharmow: 11:34pm On Nov 18, 2015
I wish I could see this thread on time cos comment outside the 1st page doesn't get as much outreach. My advice for your Op, is that you should go for engineering degree. Do not be limited to what is obtainable in Nigeria. As someone that had post secondary education in Nigeria before leaving over 3 yrs ago, you can never go wrong with an engineering degree. Nursing degree is great but no matter what, you will always be a second fiddle to doctors in medical field. However, with electrical engineering degree (which I believe is one of the most versatile engineering degree) you have a good shot working in many industries in Nigeria or going for your post grad program on scholarship outside naija in as much as you get 2.1 or better. Just my 2 cents for you.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Mrlekan07034617: 11:46pm On Nov 18, 2015
Bros don't be confused the Nigeria of 2day is not prepared at all for Engineers.

D country is already saturated with that profession (Engineering). Opportunities on ground for engineers is on a ration 1: 1,000,000.

Nigeria still has a long way to go as regards creating an enabling environment for Engineering graduates.

But for Nursing forget it you will surely get a good job even in the U.S it's HOT CAKE!!
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 18, 2015
Bro, both courses are hot cake, it all depends on your strength am a final year student of ELECTRICAL / ELECTRONIC ENGINERRING in FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC NEKEDE so don't have a double mind go for what you have PASSION

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by gretblue: 12:08am On Nov 19, 2015
How I wish your pursuit of MBBS works.But alternatively you have a solace in going for MNSc. Grab this opportunity though you might need to go for your Midwifery if your wish is to be a practising Nurse.The sky is your limit when you come out of the university because there are waiting employment opportunities for you as soon as you are done unlike when you go for electrical program where you still need to hussle in the labour market.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by talktonase(m): 12:10am On Nov 19, 2015
salaboiz:
Bros go for Nursing because if u go for electrical engineering, u will end up as a class teacher
soo us wey be teacher no get levels be dat abi...God is watchin u all on 3D, our reward is in heaven.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by naijaninja15: 12:11am On Nov 19, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Nigerian universities have been offering degree in Nursing for a long time now. My aunt had her first degree in nursing from UI in the early 80s and went on to bag a PhD in same field around 1989 from same institution. She's been lecturing in Nursing and Nursing sciences since then.

Wow...interesting. I believe it was because I never had interest in nursing or as a man its not an attractive profession in that part of the world for men. Nursing is a very good and well respected profession. In America a lot of immigrant opt for it because it pays well and offer path to decent life. I often think about what would become of me when I decide to come back home; will I be able to find a job that could provide me a decent life in naija...I don't know how much they pay nurses in naija but from the little I have heard its not encouraging at all.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 19, 2015
gretblue:
How I wish your pursuit of MBBS works.But alternatively you have a solace in going for MNSc. Grab this opportunity though you might need to go for your Midwifery if your wish is to be a practising Nurse.The sky is your limit when you come out of the university because there are waiting employment opportunities for you as soon as you are done unlike when you go for electrical program where you still need to hussle in the labour market.
i quote you wrong oga for saying there is need to hustle when you out for school enginerring is one the hottest job in NIGERIA especially ELECTRICAL enginerring which has varieties of option like power, telecommunication, ELECTRONIC and instrumentation and having worked with few top companies during my 4 months and 1 year industrial training i will testify that why most people who claim to be graduate don't get employed is one incompetence, when i went for my first interview organised by one consultant company the first interview was mass interview we were up to 6 in the office, a computer enginerring student , a nurse, economist and other guys it was very funny that a nurse was asked a simple question that if a worker happened to be injured by a machine what will she do to ensure body and soul is kept together before further medical attention she couldn't even say something meaningful, the other computer enginerring guy was not able to differentiate between a diskette and a flash, i swear i was embarrassed not only when i later got employed i was very close to my HRM Sometimes people complain alot of on job opportunities when you need to see letter written by people who are graduate, cv`s that are poorly written sometime the don't even read them, the just pack them inside waste bin them tomorrow someone will say his fore fathers are after him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Originalsly: 12:36am On Nov 19, 2015
I would say nursing because nurses are always in demand. You can basically travel to any corner of the earth and your skills would be needed. There are sooo many opportunities for you as a nurse...travel the world and be paid....NGO's...Military... even if you want to go back to live in the village...your services would be needed. You travel abroad...same thing and nurses there do not work for groundnuts! As an electrical engineer....a young fresh electrical engineer....now you tell me about your chances.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Drabrah(m): 12:57am On Nov 19, 2015
I'm afraid if u go into nursing cos u'll b one of those causing chaos in d health sector as Nursing wasn't ur desire. Worse still, u wanted Medicine 4 consolation but cudn't get it. However, admission these days isn'twot u toil wt . I always advise pipe to accept wot they're given while pursuing wot they desire. I av classmates dat came back to 100L frm 300L. However, dat does not guarantee a safe sail thru d course u've opted for, as some still wtdraw afta waisting so much time
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by AfroKnight: 1:53am On Nov 19, 2015
Fact: Nursing = Abundance of Job (We have too few nurses in Nigeria)

Elect, Mech, Comp, Agric engineering = Your faith in God for good job.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by maleeks(m): 2:15am On Nov 19, 2015
Op i hope you know Elect/Elect aint easy...you have to be very good in maths, because when you start to they do laplace transform, fourier series, kirchof laws of i/v, thevenin, ruginkunta, mutilple integaral, and to crown it all electromag in class, whalai, i repeat whalai, you go dey ask yourself wetin carry com d dept...but at long run you will be far far better than a nurse when you start to dey earn, if you can study hard and graduate with good grade, you might specialize in either, 1-Telecomunications, which will give you the oppurtunity to work with tel companys mtn,glo,ncc,dstv and so so many 2-Power, with these you can work with oil companies if you can do somee safety courses and cert, 3-Control, infact na 4 schools get this option for naija, if your lucky to be in on of these schools, you will live like king if your opportuned to see job, life is control brother... Electrical is the best qoute me anywhere, we are needed in all sector, and industries even some companies you might not even think of...so please brother, i am advicing you as a brother to continue with EEE as good pay awaits you in multinational companies
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by rafcrown(m): 2:16am On Nov 19, 2015
NURSES are needed all over the world.Especially abroad.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Kirinwa: 2:29am On Nov 19, 2015
Nastydroid:
Go for what you have passion for.You only watched a tv show and you started loving the medical field the love might depreciate later. Just follow your mind

*walks out of thread*

Op go with EE since you are very good in it. May 1st class not elude you.

Last Bullet: Which Northern state is that and how secure is the school?
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by 2undeee(m): 2:50am On Nov 19, 2015
Please if I am in ur shoes I will go for nursing because u have to check d aftermath of ur studies guy job hard to get but with d nursing u cld easily start somthing so stay in your southern school
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by defenda(f): 2:54am On Nov 19, 2015
1st your write up is very impressive.

Well done.

If I were in your shoes, I would go for what I have passion for, because with passion it would be easy to succeed.

Then also pray about it too.

All the best.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by craigj: 2:55am On Nov 19, 2015
Bro, if naah abroad you get the admissions now, I for say nursing one time but since say naah naija, e depend shaa cos if you are good in maths and physics without shaking go do your engineering and make sure say you carry better grade comot.
My take shaa oo..
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by chubbyswit(m): 3:01am On Nov 19, 2015
op dont deviate from your true calling and passion just because you watched a tv show. The devil is fighting hard to stop you cos he knows that you'll b a great man. With just an hnd and u're already doing well, imagine the level you'll scale with a b.eng. Finish wat u started, advance yourself in your field and dnt deviate cos u might come to regret that decision later. Thats my best advice to you
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Kirinwa: 3:12am On Nov 19, 2015
2undeee:
Please if I am in ur shoes I will go for nursing because u have to check d aftermath of ur studies guy job hard to get but with d nursing u cld easily start somthing so stay in your southern school

So he can't start something with EE abi? Do you know the number of houses creeping up everyday that needs to be wired and other electrical breakdowns?

Abeg.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by BlackLeopard(m): 4:38am On Nov 19, 2015
I'd go for technical degree if I were you.

You can always gain nursing experience through experience in a variety of fields, and by happenstance.

You can't get technical experience the same way if lacking the proper education for it, or opportunities.

Consider which career will be available to you even later in life; don't think just what you're passionate for now. Passions can, and do, change. Opportunities can be time limited.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by BlackLeopard(m): 4:40am On Nov 19, 2015
rafcrown:
NURSES are needed all over the world.Especially abroad.

You can get a lot of that experience from self studying and then volunteering in the actual care tho.

And you can get that while repairing electricity everywhere, because accidents happen and injuries happen and you pick things up in the field itself, even without the school for it, if working in the technical areas.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by emi14: 4:43am On Nov 19, 2015
Your stories are too lengthy.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Olufemiolaolu(m): 5:05am On Nov 19, 2015
ASHTAROTH:
Hello fellow Nairalanders,

I need your advice on this issue. I am about to take a very important and life altering decision in my life, but I am kind of confused as to what to do. I am very sure, that we have mature people here, and I would definitely be given best of advice. This issue cuts across my entire life, please matured advice are kindly welcomed.

I am a guy in my early 20s (would be clocking 21 by December). I have a Diploma in Engineering, and I currently work with a company in Southwest Nigeria. I graduated as the best student of my Department, and that was in early 2012. I did my internship in one of the big names in Nigeria.

Ever since 2012 that I finished the first phase of my polytechnic education, I was unable to satisfactorily secure admission into the schools and course of my choice. Nonetheless I vowed never to settle for HND. Although My Dad pushed against my own will to apply for HND and I was admitted but I refused and turned the offer down. For the University admission application, it’s either I was given the course I have no interest in or not admitted at all. I applied through direct entry, UTME and several many others. One of the many trials even journeyed me to meet the Vice Chancellor of a State University in a supposed southwestern state. The Vice Chancellor questioned me, accusing me of probably cheating in CBT because I scored the highest (story for another day).

I kept on trying but, this year I made a resolution to have a taste/peep into another field. Although I have passion for engineering, but I fell in love with Medicine after I saw two American Television series (Grey’s Anatomy and Night Shift, please don’t think of me weird). I humbled myself and did another UTME exam. I did excellently well, and my performance in Post UTME was good, though below my set standard. I was pressed to change from Medicine and Surgery to Nursing when the admission officer told me of my slim chance of being admitted for MBBS (Indigeneship stuffs). Fortunately I was admitted for Nursing.

In my quest not to put my eggs in one basket I obtained another DE form. Using the DE application I picked two schools in southwestern states. But, I didn’t stop there; I applied as an unsolicited candidate to another school in one of the Northern States. Fortunately I was admitted for my long desired course in Engineering Field in the Northern University. Though I am still awaiting the two Southwestern Universities and the Northern University resumes in 3 months; I don’t want to give these all away. I want to make the best decision base on good career advice.

I have so prayed and it seems God is giving me a blank cheque to write on. At this point, I can't afford to make the wrong decision.

The issues I have now are:

1. The school that admitted me for Nursing has opened portal for Acceptance fee payment which closes in a week. Of which the tradition is if I couldn’t pay on or before the said deadline; my admission would be invalid. Of course this calls for professional and tactical deliberation and decision. Of which I am to accept the admission now (school resumes presumably January), I would be forced to quit my full time job, thus I won't be able to safe enough for my expenses of even 2 years in college.

2. I am so in love with the Northern University, I love the environ, the distance and of course the solitary of my personality I would enjoy (considering my personality), but we all know the security issue in the north though it’s not rampant in this particular state.

3. The living expenses in Nursing admitted school is on the high side. Looking at it my entire savings would be out in less than two years. Speaking of which my Dad is of no financial support since I disobeyed and turned him down. So I have myself to think about Feeding, Tution Fee, Hostel Fee, Hand outs, Internet data and Transportation. However, my savings would see me through four years of the Northern University.

4. BNsc is a 5-year course and ELectrical Engineering (DE) is a 4-year course, considering the age factor.

5. I am torn between my fantasy and passion, but I want to make the right and best decision. It’s a pity I would be forced to make decision this early despite the unpreparedness of the rest two schools to release DE admission lists.

I am sorry for the long write up. Please advice me from experience; career-wise and future-wise.

Thank you very much.

Ashtaroth 'Owo
Go 4 what u re passionate abt. Re u a female?
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 5:31am On Nov 19, 2015
Optional2:
Ok
s see ur booty is that urs miss
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Nobody: 5:32am On Nov 19, 2015
ihatebuhari:
nursing its a very good course, most male nurse works at oil rigs in Niger Delta with good pay.

even here in London they are OK, for me I think nursing is better
is that ur booty or u stole it
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Mostprecious(f): 5:42am On Nov 19, 2015
Go with ur passion! Cos d love u have for medicals myt die one day. Therefore I suggest u go with wat jolts u, Engineering. U still hv a workn experience in dt field, its a much added advantage. And for finances u said u cn pull tru with ur fees for 4yrs w/o help frm anyone, I think dts enof sign to me. There re many school of nursing around, wen u re tru with ur B.eng nd u stil hv dt love for medicals u could stil gv it a shot. No knowlege is a waste. D Lord is ur strength, I wish u the best!
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by gabbytabby: 6:00am On Nov 19, 2015
If your intention is to stay in 9ja go for engineering but if it's abroad nursing. As the spirit leads.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by shnug: 6:07am On Nov 19, 2015
One way to know wen God is speaking is through peace. Which Course do u find peace in thinking about? Listen closely to ur iNner man and pray without ceasing.
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by segcymoor(m): 6:08am On Nov 19, 2015
What a silly question. Nursing?
Re: Please Advice; Degree In Nursing Or Degree In Electrical Engineering by Stangeneral(m): 6:12am On Nov 19, 2015
[quote author=Osahon7 post=40169381] guy anybody can be a CEO!! He's talking base on reality!! Wake up dude! In my secondary skool, my Maths teacher was a mech engr! In my lect too my phy was chemical engr, math, civil! Even in NYSC engrs go to classrooms[/quote

ask ur teachers d school dey studied .i doubt if an engr graduate will tk up sec skul teaching

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Current State Of FUTO ICT Building, 2 Years After Fire Incident / List Of Jamb Accredited Registration Centres For Cbt Utme 2019 Approved By Jamb / Hot Protest Currently Going On In FUTMINNA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.