Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:15 AM

Nuhu Ribadu Testifies In Front Of U.s Financial Services Committee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nuhu Ribadu Testifies In Front Of U.s Financial Services Committee (3136 Views)

Little Girl Tells Nuhu Gidado She Will Be A Deputy Gov Too / Saraki: Tribunal Admits 3 Exhibits & PA Testifies Against Him In Court / My Victory Is The Fulfilment Of Pastor Adeboye’s Prophecy- Osinbajo Testifies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nuhu Ribadu Testifies In Front Of U.s Financial Services Committee by RICHIEBOI1(m): 3:10pm On May 21, 2009
Nuhu Ribadu, former EFCC Chairman, testifies in front of the U.S Financial Services Committee on their role in aiding the money laundering practices of corrupt governments.

http://current.com/items/90080328_ribadu-testifies-in-front-of-u-s-finacial-services-committee.htm?xid=RSSfeed
Re: Nuhu Ribadu Testifies In Front Of U.s Financial Services Committee by ebogentle(m): 12:54pm On May 22, 2009
Even outside the office he continues to make us proud.
There's hope for Nigeria i tell you.

1 Like

Re: Nuhu Ribadu Testifies In Front Of U.s Financial Services Committee by Christino(m): 6:01pm On May 22, 2009
Former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC], Nuhu Ribadu, appeared before the United States House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services on Tuesday May 19, lashing at Nigerian leaders who he said have betrayed the promise of independence.

"Today, after one civil war, seven military regimes, and three botched attempts at building real democracy, there is one connecting factor in the failure of all attempts to govern Nigeria: corruption" said Mr. Ribadu, now a fellow at St Anthony's College at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.

Mr. Ribadu who spoke on the theme of Capital Loss and Corruption: the Example of Nigeria, testified alongside Raymond Baker, the Director of Global Financial Integrity; Monica Macovei, former Minister of Justice, Government of Romania; Jack Blum, former head, UN Experts Group on Asset Recovery; and Anthea Lawson, Lead Investigator-Financial Institutions, Global Witness.

Giving reasons why western countries must see corruption as one of Africa's primary growth hindrance, Mr Ribadu remarked that "The West must understand that corruption is part of the reason that African nations cannot fight diseases properly, cannot feed their populations, cannot educate their children and use their creativity and energy to open the doorway to the future they deserve."

The former anti-graft czar illustrated his presentations with how former Nigerian governors, aided by foreign banks, stashed away billions of naira meant for the growth and development of their people.

"Mr. Joshua Dariye, Governor of Plateau state, was found by the London Metropolitan Police to operate 25 bank accounts in London alone to juggle money and evade the law. Domestically, we were able to restrain proceeds of his crimes worth $34 million," he said.

"Mr. D.S.P. Alamieyeseigha, governor of oil rich Bayelsa State. He had four properties in London valued at about £10 million, plus another property in Cape Town valued at $1.2 million. £1 million cash was found in his bedroom at his apartment in London. £2 million was restrained at the Royal Bank of Scotland in London and over $240 million in Nigeria. This is in addition to bank accounts traced to Cyprus, Denmark, USA and the Bahamas," Mr. Ribadu said.

For the West to finally understand the true ramifications of corruption, Mr. Ribadu said it must see it beyond "a system of bribes and patronage, but the systematic undermining of responsible governance, of visionary leadership, of a society's ability to meet and overcome challenges."

Corruption, he argued, is part of the reason that "African nations cannot fight diseases properly, cannot feed their populations, cannot educate their children and use their creativity and energy to open the doorway to the future they deserve."

The former EFCC boss said the fight against corruption in Nigeria is not in making new laws. "The laws needed to check these problems often already exist; what is lacking is the culture of enforcement" he told the American congressmen and women, adding also that such an enforcement culture will only blossoms where there is "the necessary political will, and this political will must be strong at the very top."

The west has a big role to play in the fight against corruption in Africa, Mr. Ribadu said through helping to promote instruments that can institutionalize tangible anti-corruption regimes. "Similarly, the US could help promote a Proceeds of Crime law that has treaty status, and push the boundaries of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) to acquire expanded power to bite both givers and takers of bribes" Ribadu said. He also took argument with those who thought the problem of bribery is with the giver, saying "Until those receiving the bribes are punished for their actions, the marketplace for high‐stakes elite bribery will continue to thrive."

Mr. Ribadu then canvassed a strong support for civic organizations who he said are critical in the war against corruption. "I would also propose that Congress support civil society monitoring programmes and direct support for programmes building investigative journalism, which can support transparency and anti‐corruption efforts" to urged the congressional panel.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20090521453778

http://go.sturvs.com/iul

Former Chairman of Nigeria's Economic Crimes Commission (EFCC) who was fired in 2008 for apparently doing his job too well, as he exposed and charged high profile Nigerian bankers, politicians, former ministers for corruption and money laundering. Ribadu recently testified before the U.S. Financial Services Committee, watch the video up top to hear what he had to say.

Here's also an awesome statement by Ribadu taken from an interview he did with The Guardian earlier in the year:

“If you fight corruption, it fights back. If you go after petty corruption nothing will happen to you, But if you go after grand corruption, you’d be taking on the politicians and they have the money. And they will come after you, But you can choose to go to bed with them and you’d continue to be Chairman or Director, and you can go to conferences and enjoy tea and collect estacodes. But I made a choice, I decided to go after the big ones, even if they were the ones that put me there, I investigated President Obasanjo, I took his statement myself. I went after his daughter, a Senator, I went after Governors, I charged all of them to court. One of them offered me $500, 000 US and a house in Seychelles and an aircraft, but I rejected all of that. By the time I left EFCC, I had 275 convictions in a country that never had one on cases of grand corruption, I charged the Vice President to court - somebody from my village. I proved that it can be done.”

If Dr. Okonjo runs for office Ribadu should be her Vice President!

1 Like

Re: Nuhu Ribadu Testifies In Front Of U.s Financial Services Committee by OneNaija(m): 6:10pm On May 22, 2009
Hey yeah!

Everybody run run run
Everybody scatter scatter
Some people lost some bread
Someone nearly die
Someone just die
Police dey come, army dey come
Confusion everywhere
Hey yeah!

Seven minutes later
All don cool down, brother
Police don go away
Army don disappear
Them leave Sorrow, Tears, and Blood

[Chorus]
Them regular trademark!

Them leave Sorrow, Tears, and Blood
Them regular trademark
That is why

[Chorus]
Hey yeah!

Everybody run run run,

La la la la
My people self dey fear too much
We fear for the thing we no see
We fear for the air around us
We fear to fight for freedom
We fear to fight for liberty
We fear to fight for justice
We fear to fight for happiness
We always get reason to fear

We no want die
We no want wound
We no want quench
We no want go
I get one child
Mama dey for house
Papa dey for house
I want build house
I don build house
I no want quench
I want enjoy
I no want go
Ah!

So policeman go slap your face
You no go talk
Army man go whip your yansh
You go dey look like donkey
Rhodesia dey do them own
Our leaders dey yab for nothing
South Africa dey do them own

Them leave Sorrow, Tears, and Blood,

Ah, na so
Time will dey go
Time no wait for nobody
Like that: choo, choo, choo, choo, ah
But police go dey come, army go dey come
With confusion
In style like this:

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu Demands N13bn Payback.as Fashola Vows To Decamp,& Expose Him If Impeached / Earthquake/tsunami May Hit Nigeria / Vagabonds Want To Succeed Me---Daniel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.