Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,056 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? (2464 Views)

How To Use Google Scientific Calculator Or Calculate With Google Search / Scientific Facts Expressed By The Bible,long Before Science Knew Them. / Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by donnffd(m): 10:16am On Nov 23, 2015
We Africans are the least scientific inclined set of humans on the planet, we don't contribute to the furtherment of science, we have never won Nobel prizes in these categories, we don't carry out real research to better understand our environment...all we do is to either leave the work to the white man or attribute these to some invisible deities...what is wrong with Africans?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by tunnyl(m): 10:18am On Nov 23, 2015
Go to the universities and talk to the lecturers they will give you proofs that africans/ blacks have contributed to science movement

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by jerryunit48: 10:18am On Nov 23, 2015
See you , why should Africans think of manufacturing an aircraft when there is witchcraft ? Flight na Flight joor . Juju no let Africans see well

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by donnffd(m): 10:32am On Nov 23, 2015
tunnyl:
Go to the universities and talk to the lecturers they will give you proofs that africans/ blacks have contributed to science movement

Why must i go to the universities?, if they really have, i should see their works in the mainstream media, it should be impacting in my life right now, but i dont see this things and you want me to go talk to them, the benefits of science is not by mouth o,my broda

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Juxtified(m): 10:36am On Nov 23, 2015
One word: FOUNDATION.
We have a lot of gifted pupils/students who could have excelled in science but there are no aids at the basic levels - no good teachers, no equipment, nothing to nurture those with innate abilities and talents. At the end of the day these children are forced into the glorified professions like Clinical Medicine, Engineering by their parents

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by tunnyl(m): 10:38am On Nov 23, 2015
donnffd:

Why must i go to the universities?, if they really have, i should see their works in the mainstream media, it should be impacting in my life right now, but i dont see this things and you want me to go talk to them, the benefits of science is not by mouth o,my broda

True talk cool
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by johnydon22(m): 10:55am On Nov 23, 2015
[b] There are two factors that contributed to the kind of pitiable state of Africans or Africa in terms of Science..

Cultural factor: A kind of mindset that Science is a foreign culture, Cultural restrictions and an undying effects of such dangerous mindset to the curiosity of a young mind in scientific enquiry.

Idiotic superstition have bolted Africans into such a state of chronic idiocy that most times it is sad to watch.

A bird fell from the sky---> Scientifically for one to ascertain what really went wrong with the creature, enquiry and deep study of the details and available datas can reveal such.

To an African -----> It's witchcraft.

Someone gets a headache, witches and enemies did it..

Religious Factor:: I have often watched in total sadness and dismay as many young minds on nairaland tag Science the work of devil..

How can Science in african ever improve when religious beliefs have murdered the minds of the youths, when their curiosity to know what is has been killed, when the youths see results of consistent deductions and approximations (science) to be an enemy because most of their dearly held ridiculous religious beliefs falls to mere idiocy in the face of scientific explanation.

therefore science is seen as an enemy..

We can never improve scientifically in this age that is marked by scientific wonders if we keep deluding our youths with such absurd ideas.

I have always affirmed that the only way to murder the intellectual development of our species is to indoctrinate in them as children unsubstantiated beliefs and superstitions of primitive men..

African is a typical case study..
[/b]

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by MightySparrow: 12:50pm On Nov 23, 2015
STUPIDITY OF SPIRITUALIITY

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by UncleSnr(m): 8:46pm On Nov 23, 2015
How will Africa be scientific inclined when Lalasticlala, Seun and other crazy supermods swore that Science and Technology threads won't make front-page?

Mtcheww!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by mrphysics(m): 8:09am On Nov 24, 2015
@op, we r scientifically inclined, we r doing our best, ask urself, how much is made available for research in Nigeria budget?
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by hahn(m): 8:22am On Nov 24, 2015
mrphysics:
@op, we r scientifically inclined, we r doing our best, ask urself, how much is made available for research in Nigeria budget?

This is exactly what the op is pointing out. The government is filled with people who went through the average Nigerian way of life and it reflects a lot in the policies that are being created. We are simply, as a people, not interested in fact finding or researching. Anything we don't understand "god did it" and any negative thing that happens is the fault of "the devil". Until we start taking responsibility for our actions we will never find it necessary to investigate and research for solutions to our problems.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Booyakasha(f): 10:12am On Nov 24, 2015
Two major Reasons:

1. Tradition - they believe in the gods, and if you try to question/experiment somethings you will be persecuted.

2. Culture - farming, hunting, early marriage etc.. no african had time or cared to "know" about their universe because of the african culture.

PS: Egypt and some northern african countries where highly civilised.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 24, 2015
The reason is very very simple

Africans ascribe natural causes to supernatural beings.
Lightining touches the ground, Sango is coming. Thunder is unnaturally loud, sango is shouting in angerundecided Honestly, some times, when I hear what some people believe I start to laughgringringrin

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by HCpaul(m): 4:22pm On Nov 24, 2015
The major hinderance or limitations that Nigerians have towards technology ain't be used as an excuse to the barrier presented by the economic bug of our politics.

Although, technological advancement has shifted from individuality to team work. Meaning that todays inventions are accomplished by team effort.
But nevertheless, the required motive we lack as a country is the mindset of inventions and enterpreneurship. We brude upon knowledge but yet not an advocate of it. We underestimate the theoritical foundations and concepts of technology which will actually give rise to the development of prototype.
We have many scientist in the country but lack an inventor.
A country need a scientist, technology artifacts and inventors to be regarded as a technological oriented nation.
We lack industries, companies, pioneers, and revolution power.

Look at Japan, Korea, Germany and Iraq for example. Those countries was not better than Nigerians in terms of literacy and civilization, but are ready to develop their first institution in the inventions.
They was once almost wiped out, but they still took their stand to grow.
Today, the destiny of robots development is in the hand of the Japanese.

What we actually need is an individual personality ignited with the mindset of inventions.
It takes a group of inventors to develop an IT institution and industry.

Also, our institution has to be a research institution, and one must count invention as a serious business.

Let us go and learn about invention.
Currently, am someone that possess the innovative mindset of invention, but i lack the materialistic resources to execute them.
Am a multi-philantropist, who adopt all the precepts organized by the dear friend called knowledge.

Just pray for me.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by seunot: 4:39pm On Nov 24, 2015
HCpaul:
The major hinderance or limitations that Nigerians have towards technology ain't be used as an excuse to the barrier presented by the economic bug of our politics.

Although, technological advancement has shifted from individuality to team work. Meaning that todays inventions are accomplished by team effort.
But nevertheless, the required motive we lack as a country is the mindset of inventions and enterpreneurship. We brude upon knowledge but yet not an advocate of it. We underestimate the theoritical foundations and concepts of technology which will actually give rise to the development of prototype.
A country need a scientist, technology artifacts and inventors to be regarded as a technological oriented nation.

Look at Japan, Korea, Germany and Iraq for example. Those countries was not better than Nigerians in terms of literacy and civilization, but are ready to develop their first institution in the inventions.

What we actually need is an individual personality ignited with the mindset of inventions.

Also, our institution has to be a research institution, and one must count invention as a serious business.

Currently, am someone that possess the innovative mindset of invention, but i lack the materialistic resources to execute them.
Am a multi-philantropist, who adopt all the precepts organized by the dear friend called knowledge.

Just pray for me.

I wish you all the best bro.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Madmathecian(m): 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2015
johnydon22:
[b] There are two factors that contributed to the kind of pitiable state of Africans or Africa in terms of Science..

Cultural factor: A kind of mindset that Science is a foreign culture, Cultural restrictions and an undying effects of such dangerous mindset to the curiosity of a young mind in scientific enquiry.

Idiotic superstition have bolted Africans into such a state of chronic idiocy that most times it is sad to watch.

A bird fell from the sky---> Scientifically for one to ascertain what really went wrong with the creature, enquiry and deep study of the details and available datas can reveal such.

Religious Factor:: I have often watched in total sadness and dismay as many young minds on nairaland tag Science the work of devil..

How can Science in african ever improve when religious beliefs have murdered the minds of the youths, when their curiosity to know what is has been killed, when the youths see results of consistent deductions and approximations (science) to be an enemy because most of their dearly held ridiculous religious beliefs falls to mere idiocy in the face of scientific explanation.

We can never improve scientifically in this age that is marked by scientific wonders if we keep deluding our youths with such absurd ideas.

I have always affirmed that the only way to murder the intellectual development of our species is to indoctrinate in them as children unsubstantiated beliefs and superstitions of primitive men..

[/b]

I Love this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by hahn(m): 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
HCpaul:

Just pray for me.

Was your account hacked? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
Ironically, evolution is the answer.

yes, i know how ridiculous that sounds, but i wasn't talking about macro evolution. so spare the religious insults and let me talk. angry

Africans evolved to be artistic in nature. we have very little science in us. we instead have raw artistic ability. there is hardly a Nigerian who can't draw. at least to some extent. the typical software most Nigerians learn how to use when starting off with a computer is corel draw. they find this more interesting than net-beans or eclipse. which more whites start out with. also, I've found, while discussing with several Nigerians, that they have no sense of logic whatsoever, they are extremely logically incorrect, logically incomplete, and they do not possess a high level of critical thinking. BUT, they are very good at pattern recognition, linguistics, and spontaneous creativity. i think evolution is responsible for this.

in Africa, we have had more advantage in our artistry. we have this bright, tropical that does freaking justice to colors. everything is in wild contrast and the whole place just screams design. also, music, poetry, and other stuff like that are integral to our existence. we evolved to be so. there is probably no specific reason for this. evolution doesn't need a reason to do anything. it just does things.

but other human cultures, of course, evolved to be more scientific. i don't know why this happened, and then they brought this science to us. the result is, we've been trying then, to rapidly shift our evolutionary inclination from the arts to the science.

you probably might have noticed that your parents care less than science than you do. well, your children will care even more. it's basically a forced adaptation. we can't speed it up. it's a gradual thing. we weren't designed for science. what we're trying to do is like trying to make a laptop into an android phone. sure, you can emulate it, but . . . the software are so different that it puts a terrible strain on the hardware. and this is not because the laptop is poor or whatnot. it's just not supposed to be an android device.

The solution then, is to find specimens of Africans who have adapted reasonably to this new ideology of science. those whose brains have become quite brilliantly logical, those who have developed a passion for science, and . . . utilizing man's other evolutionary advantage, (the ability to perform better in packs or groups.) collect their talents together to bring out something a lot better.

BUT HEY, that's Just a theory. grin grin an anthropological theory. grin grin grin

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by tobyemmanuel(m): 4:03am On Nov 25, 2015
Poverty, Government, lust for money, lack of brainstorming and substandard education and research system

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by neocortex: 1:12pm On Nov 25, 2015
johnydon22:

[/b]

I will go for Superstition and fear of the unknown as the first and major cause.
Even those who don't necessarily believe in the god
of thunder, intuitively act otherwise, there is this widespread
unconcious believe that there are some things you must
never question or you face the consequence.

Some lectures/researchers in our higher institution are not left out of this
superstition as they often reinforce local believe that "we are just doing
this and only god has the answer".

How do you expect someone to stretch his intellectual limits under those
circumstances.

While superstition is not peculiar to Africans as history taught us, but many
societies were able to throw off most of its yoke through cultural evolution
and civilization.

Unfortunately for us our evolutionary clock is being set back by our imported
beliefs, it is as if we just started from scratch once again.
I believe it is easier for a society to make advancement based on their
cultural perspectives and local beliefs than a foreign one.
We have Japan and Germany as a case study.

African are known to celebrate and revere "foreign" things so why do we
then reject "foreign science" ?
It is obvious that "foreigness" of science is not the cause.

Finally, the solution lies in massive re-orientation starting from the primary school
level.

It is time we elevate scientific inquiry to where it should be.
If we cast our net wide enough then I'm optimistic we can catch the sharks!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Krystalzkris(f): 4:15pm On Nov 25, 2015
i think it is because africans limit their goals in life... An average african only hopes to grow up,get some education that will only be enough to get a job and then start a family.. And chikina,it ends there.. There is no single room for researching.. The religious inclination of many africans is not helping matters either.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by acorntree(m): 5:07pm On Nov 25, 2015
donnffd:
We Africans are the least scientific inclined set of humans on the planet, we don't contribute to the furtherment of science, we have never won Nobel prizes in these categories, we don't carry out real research to better understand our environment...all we do is to either leave the work to the white man or attribute these to some invisible deities...what is wrong with Africans?
The reason lies here, most Africans operate on the lowest level , physiological level according to Maslow's hierarchy of need. Need for basic necessity of live, food , water, sex, petrol to fuel car, generator etc. most Africans are not self actualized. With high unemployment , zero security of lives and properties no one can invent anything. Will you even gethe the mind when boko haram is pursing you and one agbero threatening your life

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by donnffd(m): 9:54pm On Nov 25, 2015
acorntree:

The reason lies here, most Africans operate on the lowest level , physiological level according to Maslow's hierarchy of need. Need for basic necessity of live, food , water, sex, petrol to fuel car, generator etc. most Africans are not self actualized. With high unemployment , zero security of lives and properties no one can invent anything. Will you even gethe the mind when boko haram is pursing you and one agbero threatening your life

You are correct, I have come across this hierarchy before never did I use it to relate it to the African condition...really nice point
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 25, 2015
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 26, 2015
acorntree:

I'm sorry, i don't really agree to this.

Egyptians built the pyramids. several thousand years ago. when they were still operating at that lowest level. greece, rome, all those empires, did develop in science even when the environment around them was worse than the current Nigerian standard. your average nigerian student has an android phone and a laptop. and they have access to libraries. the potential within their reach is unimaginable.

but we keep getting mediocre creations. so, obviously, something else is responsible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by plumule(m): 5:02pm On Nov 28, 2015
50% of things to be invented already are, the rest is left for the highest in the field to maintain their ground. Can u still invent robot when it is in vague already. We will only be good at modifying.
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Horus(m): 9:03pm On Nov 28, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQeEgW8L21U

[size=15pt]Ghana shares new superlab with West African scientists[/size]

“For once researchers in Ghana can start to dream. Right now you are not limited by the absence of equipment,” says Lawrence Borquaye, assistant manager of the new central laboratory at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).

The lab, opened in May, cost the university US$6.5 million to build and fill with some of the most advanced lab equipment in the world.

The idea behind it is to reduce costs by sharing equipment between individual departments. And the novel collaborative approach is even more ambitious than that: it is open to researchers from other universities both in Ghana and other West African countries. The lab’s designers are confident that the fees charged will help pay for its upkeep.
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
Look at a typical public primary school in western countries.

Pic 1 and 2.

Now look at a typical African public primary school.

Pic 3.

Now do the maths.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by hahn(m): 11:01am On Dec 01, 2015
greenhulk:
Look at a typical public primary school in western countries.

Pic 1 and 2.

Now look at a typical African public primary school.

Pic 3.

Now do the maths.

Chai!

This continent has issues undecided
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by holocron: 6:56pm On Apr 04, 2017
Teempakguy:
Ironically, evolution is the answer.

yes, i know how ridiculous that sounds, but i wasn't talking about macro evolution. so spare the religious insults and let me talk. angry

Africans evolved to be artistic in nature. we have very little science in us. we instead have raw artistic ability. there is hardly a Nigerian who can't draw. at least to some extent. the typical software most Nigerians learn how to use when starting off with a computer is corel draw. they find this more interesting than net-beans or eclipse. which more whites start out with. also, I've found, while discussing with several Nigerians, that they have no sense of logic whatsoever, they are extremely logically incorrect, logically incomplete, and they do not possess a high level of critical thinking. BUT, they are very good at pattern recognition, linguistics, and spontaneous creativity. i think evolution is responsible for this.

in Africa, we have had more advantage in our artistry. we have this bright, tropical that does freaking justice to colors. everything is in wild contrast and the whole place just screams design. also, music, poetry, and other stuff like that are integral to our existence. we evolved to be so. there is probably no specific reason for this. evolution doesn't need a reason to do anything. it just does things.

but other human cultures, of course, evolved to be more scientific. i don't know why this happened, and then they brought this science to us. the result is, we've been trying then, to rapidly shift our evolutionary inclination from the arts to the science.

you probably might have noticed that your parents care less than science than you do. well, your children will care even more. it's basically a forced adaptation. we can't speed it up. it's a gradual thing. we weren't designed for science. what we're trying to do is like trying to make a laptop into an android phone. sure, you can emulate it, but . . . the software are so different that it puts a terrible strain on the hardware. and this is not because the laptop is poor or whatnot. it's just not supposed to be an android device.

The solution then, is to find specimens of Africans who have adapted reasonably to this new ideology of science. those whose brains have become quite brilliantly logical, those who have developed a passion for science, and . . . utilizing man's other evolutionary advantage, (the ability to perform better in packs or groups.) collect their talents together to bring out something a lot better.

BUT HEY, that's Just a theory. grin grin an anthropological theory. grin grin grin

You are on the right track. African culture got trapped in stasis somwhere along the line. But its not physical, biological evolution, except u call it cultural evolution, because all human cultures were alike not too long ago (historically speaking). Just 10,000 years ago, at the end of the last Ice age, all human cultures were on the same existential level. Humanity left africa just 70 thousand years ago. Its just a result of faulty culture.

To buttress this, remember that every single superstitious idiosyncracy you find africans guilty of now, was once manifested by the europeans and asians not too long ago ( less than 1000 years ago - just 14 human generations)

African culture failed to develop a scientific worldview, and stuck to superstition.
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by holocron: 7:16pm On Apr 04, 2017
Teempakguy:
I'm sorry, i don't really agree to this.

Egyptians built the pyramids. several thousand years ago. when they were still operating at that lowest level. greece, rome, all those empires, did develop in science even when the environment around them was worse than the current Nigerian standard. your average nigerian student has an android phone and a laptop. and they have access to libraries. the potential within their reach is unimaginable.

but we keep getting mediocre creations. so, obviously, something else is responsible.

The point has some validity, in that it has always taken a leisure class to grow the sciences. E.g most of the famed European rennaisssance scientists were members of the upper classes, or under patronage to them. And even now in the western world, government and industry grants drive scientific research. That being said, we also have our super rich classes in Africa who live off their accumulated wealth and their countries resource wealth. Why dont this class pioneer scientific development and research instead of being inveterate consumers of western luxury goods? It is here we may look unto culture for answers. Some would point to the genes, but I would disavow it because u can still see a reasonable (though small) number of Africans with the scientific mindset. They are hopelessly outnumbered and spread too thinly within the general population. If they can form a community, even if online, then perhaps they can begin to make an impact.
Re: Why Is It That Africans Are Not Scientific Inclined? by holocron: 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
neocortex:

I will go for Superstition and fear of the unknown as the first and major cause.
Even those who don't necessarily believe in the god
of thunder, intuitively act otherwise, there is this widespread
unconcious believe that there are some things you must
never question or you face the consequence.

Some lectures/researchers in our higher institution are not left out of this
superstition as they often reinforce local believe that "we are just doing
this and only god has the answer".

How do you expect someone to stretch his intellectual limits under those
circumstances.

While superstition is not peculiar to Africans as history taught us, but many
societies were able to throw off most of its yoke through cultural evolution
and civilization.

Unfortunately for us our evolutionary clock is being set back by our imported
beliefs, it is as if we just started from scratch once again.
I believe it is easier for a society to make advancement based on their
cultural perspectives and local beliefs than a foreign one.
We have Japan and Germany as a case study.

African are known to celebrate and revere "foreign" things so why do we
then reject "foreign science" ?
It is obvious that "foreigness" of science is not the cause.

Finally, the solution lies in massive re-orientation starting from the primary school
level.

It is time we elevate scientific inquiry to where it should be.
If we cast our net wide enough then I'm optimistic we can catch the sharks!

U are very correct!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

I Saw A UFO (unidentified Flying Object) Live!!! / 20 Amazing Things You Won’t Believe Actually Exist In Nature / Cyclops: Goat With One Eye Born In India(photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.