Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women (5621 Views)

Guys, Don’t Jump Into Bed With Every Girl You See (see Photos) / Don’t Marry A Man With These Characteristics / Some Statements Guys Don’t Want To Hear From The Ladies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 2:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
Guys: A word of advice. Marry pretty women or ugly ones. Short ones or tall ones. Blondes or brunettes. Just, whatever you do, don’t marry a woman with a career.

Why? Because if many social scientists are to be believed, you run a higher risk of having a rocky marriage. While everyone knows that marriage can be stressful, recent studies have found professional women are more likely to get divorced, more likely to cheat, less likely to have children, and, if they do have kids, they are more likely to be unhappy about it. A recent study in Social Forces, a research journal, found that women–even those with a “feminist” outlook–are happier when their husband is the primary breadwinner.

. You are less likely to get married to her.

So say Lee A. Lillard and Linda J. Waite of the University of Michigan’s Michigan Retirement Research Center. In a paper, “Marriage, Divorce and the Work and Earnings Careers of Spouses”, published in April, 2000, they found that for white women, higher earnings, more hours of employment and higher wages while single all reduce the chances of marriage. “This suggests that (1) success in the labor market makes it harder for women to make a marital match, (2) women with relatively high wages and earnings search less intensively for a match, or (3) successful women have higher standards for an acceptable match than women who work less and earn less.” Some research suggests the opposite is true for black women.

Source: “Marriage, Divorce and the Work and Earnings Careers of Spouses,” Lee A. Lillard, Linda J. Waite, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center, Working Papers, April, 2000.

2. If you do marry, you are more likely to get divorced.

In 2004, John H. Johnson examined data from the Survey of Income and Program Participation and concluded that gender has a significant influence on the relationship between work hours and increases in the probability of divorce. Women’s work hours consistently increase divorce, whereas increases in men’s work hours often have no statistical effect. “I also find that the incidence in divorce is far higher in couples where both spouses are working than in couples where only one spouse is employed,” Johnson said. A few other studies, which have focused on employment (as opposed to working hours) have concluded that working outside the home actually increases marital stability, at least when the marriage is a happy one. But even in these studies, wives’ employment does correlate positively to divorce rates, when the marriage is of “low marital quality.”

Sources: “A Treatise On The Family,” Gary S. Becker, Harvard University Press, 1981; “Do Long Work Hours Contribute To Divorce?” John H. Johnson, Topics in Economic Analysis and Policy, 2004; “Wives’ Employment and Spouses’ Marital Happiness,” Robert Schoen, Stacy J. Rogers, Paul R. Amato, Journal of Family Issues, April 2006.

3. She is more likely to cheat on you.

According to a wide-ranging review of the published literature, highly educated people are more likely to have had extra-marital sex (those with graduate degrees are 1.75 more likely to have cheated than those with high school diplomas.) One April, 2005 study, by Adrian J. Blow for the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy summed it up: “If a woman has more education than her partner, she is more likely to have a sexual relationship outside of her primary relationship; if her husband has more education, she is less likely to engage in infidelity.” Additionally individuals who earn more than $30,000 a year are more likely to cheat. “In a more general sense, it appears that employment has significantly influenced infidelity over the years,” Blow said. “The work environment provides a host of potential partners, and individuals frequently find themselves spending a great deal of time with these individuals.”

Source: “Infidelity in Committed Relationships II: A Substantive Review,” Adrian J. Blow, Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, April 2005.

4. You are much less likely to have kids.

According to the National Marriage Project, the incidence of childlessness is growing across the socioeconomic scale. In 2004, 20% of women over 40 remained childless. Thirty years ago that figure was 10%. But the problem–and it is a problem because the vast majority of women desire children–is much more extreme for career women. According to Sylvia Ann Hewlett, an economist and the author of Creating a Life: Professional Women and the Quest for Children, only 51% of ultra-achieving women (those earning more than $100,000 a year) have had children by age 40. Among comparable men, the figure was 81%. A third of less successful working women (earning either $55,000 or $65,000) were also childless at age 40.

Sources: The State of Our Unions 2006: Life Without Children, The National Marriage Project, July 2006. Creating a Life: Professional Women and the Quest for Children, Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Miramax Books, 2002.

5. If you do have kids, your wife is more likely to be unhappy.

A 2003 study published in the Journal of Marriage and Family concluded that wealthier couples with children suffer a drop in marital satisfaction three times as great as their less affluent peers. One of the study’s co-authors publicly speculated that the reason is that wealthier women are used to “a professional life, a fun, active, entertaining life.”

Sources: “Parenthood and Martial Satisfaction: A Meta-Analytic Review,” Jean M. Twenge, W. Keith Campbell, and Craig A. Foster, Journal of Marriage and Family, 2003; “Money doesn’t mean happy parenting,” USA Today, July 21, 2003.

6. Your house will be dirtier.

In 2005, two University of Michigan scientists concluded that if your wife has a job earning more than $15 an hour (roughly $30,000 a year), she will do 1.9 hours less housework a week. Of course, this can be solved if the husband picks up a broom.

Source: “Data Quality of Housework Hours in the Panel Study of Income Dynamics: Who Really Does The Dishes?”, Alexandra C. Achen and Frank P. Stafford, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, September 2005.

7. You’ll be unhappy if she makes more than you.

You aren’t going to like it if she makes more than you do: “Married men’s well-being is significantly lower when married women’s proportional contributions to the total family income are increased.”

Source: “Changes in Wives’ Income: Effects on Marital Happiness, Psychological Well-Being, and the Risk of Divorce,” Stacy J. Rogers, Danelle D. DeBoer, Journal of Marriage and Family, May 2001

8. She will be unhappy if she makes more than you.

According to the authors of a controversial 2006 study: “American wives, even wives who hold more feminist views about working women and the division of household tasks, are typically happier when their husband earns 68% or more of the household income.” Reason? “Husbands who are successful breadwinners probably give their wives the opportunity to make more choices about work and family–e.g., working part-time, staying home, or pursuing a meaningful but not particularly remunerative job.”

Sources: What’s Love Got To Do With It? W. Bradford Wilcox, Steven L. Nock, Social Forces, March, 2006; http://www.happiestwives.org.

9. You are more likely to fall ill.

A 2001 study found that having a wife who works less than 40 hours a week has no impact on your health, but having a wife who works more than 40 hours a week has “substantial, statistically significant, negative effects on changes in her husband’s health over that time span.” The author of another study summarizes that “wives working longer hours not do not have adequate time to monitor their husband’s health and healthy behavior, to manage their husband’s emotional well-being or buffer his workplace stress.”

ladies you you agree or disagree/
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by misspicy(f): 2:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
Insecurity is your watchword undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Davijunson: 2:29pm On Nov 30, 2015
I couldn't Agree More.

2 Likes

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 2:30pm On Nov 30, 2015
am sure you didnt read the post

lol

misspicy:

The Pros And Cons Of Being A Housewife.

Everytime someone envies me for being a housewife, I remind them that life is fair. There is no one perfect role or perfect life.

We only envy others and want their life because we haven’t seen their dark side.

It’s not unusual. Most people don’t realise that there’s a huge difference between being a tai tai and a housewife. To the gals out there, be careful what you wish for. And to the men, be careful what your wife thinks she is really signing up for when you make her a housewife. =)

It’s not all peaches and honey.. and here’s why –

Pros

I have time.

I’m always available for our kids. They don’t know this, but I stalk them. Shhh…

I can pursue my own interests like photography, cooking and blogging.

We travel more because there’s one less schedule to fit into. I don’t have to apply leave to go on a holiday.

We eat dinner that’s not cooked with less than 3 ingredients, and doesn’t come from anything that is a packet with powdered flavouring in it.

The hubby has a reason to come home, because sweet wifey is waiting at home. Okay, more like wifey is nagging for him to come home.

We talk more. And bitch less. Trust me, when the woman has no stress, all the bitching and whining in the house stops. Period.

The home is a nicer place. There’s always toilet paper. The toilets smell clean. Laundry is done. There are fresh flowers at home.

I have the state of mind to learn new things. And rearrange everything by alphabetical order and height.

I ended my addiction to that blinking red light on my Blackberry.

I got my health back. No more migraines. No more gastric pains.

Cons

We have ALOT LESS money.

I can’t just buy anything I like anymore.

I have to look at prices of things when I shop.

We have to plan more carefully about our finances for our future.

Sometimes I get bored and become irritable. VERY irritable.

Sometimes I feel insecure about my own market worth. If I go back to work now, will people still hire me? *blows dust off my university degree*

Sometimes I get the feeling that people discount my opinion. You’re just a housewife. What do you know?

People assume that everything I own is paid for by the man. Grrrrr..

The kids want to murder me when I am so available to nag at them.

I’m not so cool about dirt anymore. Not when I’m the one who has to clean it later.

There’s no reason to wear sharp looking clothes anymore. Bye bye, pointy heels.

The housewife can will grow fat. It’s the biggest problem. We live too near to the fridge. Don’t believe anyone who tells you that vacuuming the floor burns lots of calories.

I am a housewife. And I started to hate housework. =p

cc:lalasticlala you can adjust the topic if you wish

http://www.storyofbing.com/2011/07/the-pros-and-cons-of-being-a-housewife/

1 Like

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Mermaids(f): 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
undecidedSo we shouldn't bother furthering our education, work in big organisations just not to be competing with men.
Ok
And the same men would call ladies gold diggers, lazy, dependent......

Clueless beings

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by IamLEGEND1: 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2015
so u expect make I read that thing?

1 Like

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2015
Mermaids:
undecidedSo we shouldn't bother furthering our education, work in a big organisations just not to be competing with men.
Ok

Clueless beings

work in a big organisations is that all you dream of?

girl drop that go build a family

lovely one i mean

5 Likes

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Lionofdjungle: 2:42pm On Nov 30, 2015
One man's food is another man's poison. Do you know that some guys prefer career women to jobless ones? It depends on individual.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
take the neccesary point and move on

IamLEGEND1:
so u expect make I read that thing?
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by elantraceey(f): 2:45pm On Nov 30, 2015
So you mean after killing myself to graduate excellently in a so-called 'Man's' course , i should then sit at home and turn his Nanny and at the end you'll call ladies liabilities.You're not ready .

1 Like

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 30, 2015
God knows I don't want an housewife. I want a career woman.

3 Likes

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2015
Lionofdjungle:
One man's food is another man's poison. Do you know that some guys prefer career women to jobless ones? It depends on individual.

that woman you called jobless in the real sense of it you cant quantify her work

ok lets look at it

she wakes at 5am to get breakfast ready
wakes the kids at 6am to bath them and send the to school

she comes back from school runs at 8am and start washing the kids cloths and do your laudry too and then start preparing the food for the kids laucnh and before you know it...

its already 2pm she runs back to school to pick the kids, beats the hold up and get homeserve them the launch ....

help them do thier assignment. make them sleep

then she goes to pick your cloths on the line and start ironning them it alreay 7pm

YOU just came back glued to the TV and there she is in the kitchen making your launch every eats and re tires to the rooms by 9pm

before she close her eyes properly by 11pm after asking how was your day.

you want her to do the "night shift" again as you cross your legs *********

in the morning she wakes at 5am

meanwhile you only signed two files in the office haba

3 Likes

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 3:09pm On Nov 30, 2015
elantraceey:
So you mean after killing myself to graduate excellently in a so-called 'Man's' course , i should then sit at home and turn his Nanny and at the end you'll call ladies liabilities.You're not ready .

thats the point doing a mans course wouldnt make you a man locate your place.
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by pet4ril(f): 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2015
This is Nigeria and 21st century. So those things up there, are tongue angry thrash
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 3:24pm On Nov 30, 2015
trash you said abi

let me tell you thats the reason he leave madam with the jeep and follows the available maid

pet4ril:
This is Nigeria and 21st century. So those things up there, are tongue angry thrash
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by cyprus000: 3:39pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=13pt]
I didn't read the post,neither do I share your view. going by your caption.

Just know that your view covers just a small fragment of naija male populace. In no way does it respresent us democratically.

So your submission is solely your's with small margin of naija men(mainly up north).

I already see ladies masturbating on this thread. As if all of us share same view.
[/size]
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Cutehector(m): 3:46pm On Nov 30, 2015
oh comon.... career women r drivers. they are blessed with good husbands. i'd so love to marry a career woman.
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
a career focused woman should not bother getting married angry, the money and power they always shack them. no wonder in many nigerian companies u see lots 30-38 year old single ladies, who had been rejecting guys when they were younger cos he no meet up to standard, ntor to them, all the constant visit to prayer city, redeem camp and canaan land cant save dem

1 Like

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
grin
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 4:56pm On Nov 30, 2015
you are the menhhhhhhh

panachuku:
a career focused woman should not bother getting married angry, the money and power they always shack them. no wonder in many nigerian companies u see lots 30-38 year old single ladies, who had been rejecting guys when they were younger cos he no meet up to standard, ntor to them, all the constant visit to prayer city, redeem camp and canaan land cant save dem
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Ajibel(m): 4:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
So make I con marry housewife? Sit at home all day or open shop for her? Tufiakwa
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by robosky02(m): 5:03pm On Nov 30, 2015
na when you come back no food for house you go remember iya taju
or iyabasere joint

for how long

Ajibel:
So make I con marry housewife? Sit at home all day or open shop for her? Tufiakwa
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Laveda(f): 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
I'd rather remain single ...mum thought me how to be hard working and make cool money cool

Some men are fuccking clueless undecided ....same men would still come here and tag ladies "gold diggers" angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
Total bullshit. So, I will become a full house wife after all my wahala in schl. I will have to wait for him even for #10 maggi. I gats to work to support my family, u know Men are not predictable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 30, 2015
Hmmmmmmm u means guys should marry jobless women? cheesy u r a joke!!
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by bettercreature(m): 6:05pm On Nov 30, 2015
misspicy:
Sound like insecurity but it's true,just look at all the career women in Nigeria,Madam Okonjo and co,all the female politicians,i always wonder if they have time for their family
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
Mermaids:
undecidedSo we shouldn't bother furthering our education, work in a big organisations just not to be competing with men.
Ok

Clueless beings
Can you imagine wat d OP is saying

If a woman sits at home nd starts demanding for money, dey will call her lazy, dat her mates r busy earning a living nd she is here doing nothing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Pheals(f): 6:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
Na only men get career abi? undecided or we cant support..
....so when the husbnd comes home

Daddi David we bought: salt maggi iru grin

abeg park wella

Op stop smoking!! When you got married tire your wife with hulk chain grin
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Pheals(f): 6:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
robosky02:

that woman you called jobless in the real sense of it you cant quantify her work

ok lets look at it

she wakes at 5am to get breakfast ready
wakes the kids at 6am to bath them and send the to school

she comes back from school runs at 8am and start washing the kids cloths and do your laudry too and then start preparing the food for the kids laucnh and before you know it...

its already 2pm she runs back to school to pick the kids, beats the hold up and get homeserve them the launch ....

help them do thier assignment. make them sleep

then she goes to pick your cloths on the line and start ironning them it alreay 7pm

YOU just came back glued to the TV and there she is in the kitchen making your launch every eats and re tires to the rooms by 9pm

before she close her eyes properly by 11pm after asking how was your day.

you want her to do the "night shift" again as you cross your legs *********

in the morning she wakes at 5am

meanwhile you only signed two files in the office haba
oponu!!!! "

1 Like

Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Monalisa185(f): 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
who go come marry career woman?
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
These RESEARCH findings are correct.... Though that wouldn't make me to settle for less.

because a pretty LADY whose brain is of no use doesn't arouse my intellect... .. though may quicken my loins.
But it's of absolute note, that I need both from my heartthrob.

I LOVE versatile ladies
After all, we still have laudable career women of respect and character. GO ALL OUT 4 DEM, and desert the ravaging ones.
Re: Hello Guys: Don’t Marry Career Women by NinaNigeria(f): 6:32pm On Nov 30, 2015
Yo post is late. It was supposed to be posted in 1652. This is 2015. Ladies r more ambitious dan ever. A woman nawadays can have a good career and still take care of her home, at de same time. At work she is dat success driven ambitious person, while she is at work, her house girl looks after de home and de kids. Wen she gets home, she is dis humble, loving wife. Who respects and takes care of her husband and kids. She cooks and spends time wit the kids, she does nt need de husband's help, bt a good father who wants to b there for his babies, does get involved and helps, then later on she becomes her husband's care take in more ways dan one. While she has early mornings so dat she can take care of her body like many other women out there, so dat she stays as hot as he found her. It is hard, bt it can b done. Many woman have done it, and will continue to do it. Only insecured backward men wud find her intimidating and not worthy of being their wife. Bt u knw wat dey say, another man's trash, is another man's treasure. De wise wud appreciate her and treat her like a queen. And thank God for de woman dat she is

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Gf Oozes Fishy Smell Down There. / / Please Help! Is There Any One Here Addicted To These Things Like Me? I'm So...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.