Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures (14450 Views)

Fashola Commissions Jebba Hydro Power Plant In Niger State (photos) / Fashola Commissions Peninsula Integrated Power Project. . PICS... / Fashola Commissions 100 New Air-Conditioned Buses At Oshodi - PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sammy107d(m): 7:01am On May 28, 2009
Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs

Quote:
The Lagos state governor, Babatunde Fashola, this morning, commissioned additional 1,200 modern cabs to boost transportation in the state.

The governor had, last year, commissioned 250 modern cabs as part of the plan to take transportation in the state to the next level. During this commissioning, six companies were granted licences to operate the taxi scheme. One of the prerequisites for the granting of the licences was that each of the operators should have a minimum of 200 cabs in its fleet. Speaking at the commissioning, the Commissioner for Transportation, Prof. Bamidele Badejo, said Fashola had expanded the horizon of public transportation in the state with the granting of licences to private investors to commence regulated taxi system and car hire services.

He urged the operators to abide by the rules and regulations guiding taxi operations and car hire services in the state as well as all traffic laws that are applicable on Lagos public roads. “Let me reiterate that government is ready to provide an enabling environment for public-private participation to thrive in the provision of services and infrastructure to support the new Lagos of our dream,” he said. The Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Mrs. Joke Orelope-Adefilure, stated that Lagos, being the commercial nerve centre of the country, definitely needs to embrace genuine initiatives directed at enhancing its Mega-City status, adding that this explains why the state government decided to support the initiative of the Lagos State Taxi Drivers and Cab Operators Association to acquire new vehicles.

She said that the state believes the project is a way of empowering the people with the task of alleviating poverty in the state. She disclosed that N2 billion would be given out by the state government as micro-credit scheme to alleviate the plight of the people who would have access to loans to start up their businesses, adding that government would continue to provide the enabling environment in all their daily pursuits, while expecting that they would in turn reciprocate the gesture through prompt payment of their taxes.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sammy107d(m): 7:04am On May 28, 2009
[img]http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=kS3DQ2zIuhzBbKR66NE8TS6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxS093jI_m05q_s0Q2oA8ipUwLkdkNm4NaK1iliY4aRX7GEabxkeoo57KN3LcI4Be79xyJSXHeyn6i9C8rc3E0xoX_kuXYWCUJRqviwH8FNPwULIcdFM9zupuYHBJc2ySZk-[/img]

The Lagos Taxi Drivers’ Association, I-Trans Logistic Limited, Basscomm Nigeria Limited, C & I Motors Limited, Cash-Link Finance Investment Limited and Benny-Lad Ventures Limited have each joined the Lagos Licenced Taxi Cab program with funding provided by Union Bank, Lagos Microfinance and others, adding 1,255 new taxi cabs (all of which are provided with meters and GPS tracking devices) to the fleet of taxis in Lagos in addition to the 400-plus already provided by Corporate Cabs Ltd and E-Taxis (EkoTaxis).

Here are the websites of some of the Lagos cab providers:
Corporate Cabs (the black taxis): http://www.corporatecabs-ng.com/aboutus.html
C & I (the red taxis): http://citransgloballtd.com/
TransCo-Op (E-Taxis or EkoTaxis): http://www.transcoop-ng.com/index.html
Basscomm (silver taxis): http://www.basscommgroup.com/blink/index.php
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sammy107d(m): 7:06am On May 28, 2009

Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Nasoweseam(m): 7:31am On May 28, 2009
This is a step in the right direction. But I am very skeptical about the huge traffic problem in Lagos. This might sound naive but where are the road expansion projects to accommodate these new cabs? I have not been to Nigeria in 13years but I am very current with news back there none mentions the development of our roads. Please somebody prove me wrong.

Secondly, the gesture to allow private investors is very plausible but automatically cuts out the middle class from participating. why will the government officials demand for a prospective investor to own a minimum of 200 cabs? this is not all inclusive after all. I would like to know from anyone of this great site with the insider information how the participants were chosen and offered a license to operate the cab scheme.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by kosovo(m): 7:57am On May 28, 2009
GOD!
for the first time in entire adult life, i fell impresed!
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sammy107d(m): 7:58am On May 28, 2009
Nasoweseam:

This  is a step in the right direction. But I  am very skeptical about the huge traffic problem in Lagos. This might sound naive  but where are the road expansion projects to accommodate these new cabs? I have not been to Nigeria in 13years but I am very current with news back there none mentions the development of our roads. Please somebody prove me wrong.

Secondly, the gesture to allow private investors is very plausible but automatically cuts out the middle class from participating.  why will the government officials demand for a prospective investor to own a minimum of 200 cabs? this is not all inclusive after all. I would like to know from anyone of this great site with the insider information how the participants were chosen and offered a license to operate the cab scheme.

If you really keep abreast of the situation at home, you'll know that Fashola is one person with foresight: he complements his projects with the infrastructure needed to sustain them (in this case, massive road construction and expansion, and efficient traffic control). This move, along with the light rail project underway, is a move towards a gradual extinction of the road nuisance known as okadas as transport facilities.

Pls join this forum http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=1474 and look up "Lagos updates" "Lagos gallery II, III, IV" and all other threads there to really keep informed; at the same time escaping the negativity and pessimism that's all so characteristic of Nairaland.

As to your second question, I really don't know the procedures for licensing companies. However, I don't think it's wise to have any Jerry with 20 rickety vehicles licensed to operate in a city like Lagos. To instill order, and for sustainability, the state must ensure that prospective partners are well established, and wouldn't cave out at the slightest economic tug. The transport sector (including the ferry services) management really doesn't constitute the middle class. If you can afford a taxi service at all (whether 20 or 200), then I think you are rich. The middle class would be included when employees are sought.

I really know nothing about Lagos. I just know Fashola rocks.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sagamite(m): 8:32am On May 28, 2009
Nasoweseam:

This is a step in the right direction. But I am very skeptical about the huge traffic problem in Lagos. This might sound naive but where are the road expansion projects to accommodate these new cabs? I have not been to Nigeria in 13years but I am very current with news back there none mentions the development of our roads. Please somebody prove me wrong.

Secondly, the gesture to allow private investors is very plausible but automatically cuts out the middle class from participating. why will the government officials demand for a prospective investor to own a minimum of 200 cabs? this is not all inclusive after all. I would like to know from anyone of this great site with the insider information how the participants were chosen and offered a license to operate the cab scheme.

"I am very current with news back there none mentions the development of our roads"

No, you are not!  grin tongue

The roads are being improved.

@post

Very good job as usual from Fashola. There are many issues with Lagos but this intelligent man has selected the most pertinent and put most of the focus on it. Evidence of how a brain and good education can stand one in good stead. Unlike bleaching morons like Alao Akala.

My only concern is why the four different colour codes for these vehicles, should it not be a unitary colour.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by FBS: 10:19am On May 28, 2009
good.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by mbulela: 10:39am On May 28, 2009
i do not want to sound like a pessimist but a few issues will not be out of order.
the crook called Odili tried something like this a while back in PH.months later the cars were turned to private cars and were intially bought up by politicians and their fronts who paid less than a tenth of the cost as down payment and ran away (literally) with the cars']
=
'we returned to status quo. no better transport and lots of cars meant to be taxis converted to private use.
the question about roads to accommodate is a very genuine question.
i have been in lagos in recent times and in my view, any solution that does not incorporate reducing the number of cars on the roads of lagos will only end up compounding the problem. adding an extra 1,200 cars on those roads i see in gidi is a serious matter.
Fashola is an intelligent and purposeful leader, i know he has covered most of the areas in his plan for this.so i wish him the best.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by yeswecan(m): 10:52am On May 28, 2009
This is great.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by porka: 11:25am On May 28, 2009
kosovo:

GOD!
for the first time in entire adult life, i fell impresed!

oga kosovo, why don't you leave kosovo and come back to naija, na by force? i guess your adult life has really been traumatic.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by PapaBrowne(m): 11:44am On May 28, 2009
Now this is good governance! This Fashola dey rock!
The best part of this is that the state government didn't(I guess) have to spend a dime.
They just designed the policy and created the enabling environment and bam! 1250 cabs are on the streets of Lagos!!
Thats all it takes to govern! Good policies and an enabling environment!
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by PapaBrowne(m): 11:52am On May 28, 2009
mbulela:

i have been in lagos in recent times and in my view, any solution that does not incorporate reducing the number of cars on the roads of lagos will only end up compounding the problem. adding an extra 1,200 cars on those roads i see in gidi is a serious matter.

The cabs would reduce the number of vehicles on the streets.
With the availability of these cabs, many folks would instead of driving to and about anywhere with their own private vehicles, rather take a cab as it would save them the stress of driving in the perennial Lagos traffic.

kosovo:

for the first time in entire adult life, i feel impresed!

About Nigeria, Likewise me!
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by AjaraEwuro: 11:55am On May 28, 2009
Nasoweseam:

Secondly, the gesture to allow private investors is very plausible but automatically cuts out the middle class from participating.  why will the government officials demand for a prospective investor to own a minimum of 200 cabs? this is not all inclusive after all. I would like to know from anyone of this great site with the insider information how the participants were chosen and offered a license to operate the cab scheme.

You have absolutely nothing doing in here if you havent been in Nigeria in 13 years - you have no right to comment on anything you havent seen and experienced. Its like a Nigrian who hasnt been in America commenting on what happens in America, will you listen to him or her?
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by PapaBrowne(m): 12:01pm On May 28, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

You have absolutely nothing doing in here if you havent been in Nigeria in 13 years - you have no right to comment on anything you havent seen and experienced. Its like a Nigrian who hasnt been in America commenting on what happens in America, will you listen to him or her?

Everybody has the right and freedom to comment.
What you should say is "you don't have the need to comment authoritatively on issues you have too little knowledge about"
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by blacksta(m): 12:11pm On May 28, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

For the first time i agree with u on this one - I was in lagos last year i witnessed all the developments going on in lagos I am looking forward going back again sometimes this year .
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by DRANOEL(m): 12:46pm On May 28, 2009
fashola is trying no doubt,but we should try and get information straight before copying and pasting,fashola only commissioned tha cars,the initiative was actually a union bank thing (they invited fashola the same way they would have invited yar'adua),secondly they were 200 cars and not 1200!
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by AjaraEwuro: 12:51pm On May 28, 2009
blacksta:

For the first time i agree with u on this one - I was in lagos last year i witnessed all the developments going on in lagos   I am looking forward going back again sometimes this year .

make sure you come with a wife.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by JJYOU: 1:03pm On May 28, 2009
this is great news but what stops any thief from spraying vehicles in those colours ?

thank God human beings are getting near power
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by AjaraEwuro: 1:05pm On May 28, 2009
JJYOU:

this is great news but what stops any thief from spraying vehicles in those colours ?
thank God human beings are getting near power

meaning what?
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by DisGuy: 1:20pm On May 28, 2009
Good news

But what happened to our identity? the good old Yellow taxi with black stripes the one that tell you na Eko you dey!
couldnt the companies just have the same color with different stripes or labels
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by moneygurl: 2:12pm On May 28, 2009
mbulela:

i do not want to sound like a pessimist but a few issues will not be out of order.
the crook called Odili tried something like this a while back in PH.months later the cars were turned to private cars and were intially bought up by politicians and their fronts who paid less than a tenth of the cost as down payment and ran away (literally) with the cars']
=
'we returned to status quo. no better transport and lots of cars meant to be taxis converted to private use.
the question about roads to accommodate is a very genuine question.
Fashola is an intelligent and purposeful leader, i know he has covered most of the areas in his plan for this.so i wish him the best.

If you read the article again you will see that the government is not the one buying the cars, it is the private sector financed by Union Bank. This has nothing to do with Fashola buying cars for the drivers, this is what odili did he bought the cars and  politicians took it.  All Fashola and LAGS govt did was create laws such as a minimum of 200 cabs, they must have meters and tracking device,and you register the car with the govt and thats it. Fashola was called to commision the second phase (A successful first phase with only one ccompany was launched last year).

And the LASG has started taking all those broken down useless cabs form the road so there is room for the new cabs.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by bgees(m): 2:14pm On May 28, 2009
FASHOLA is the best governor i have seen in my life. the man is really working.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Becomrich: 2:28pm On May 28, 2009
Sammy let say,
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sammy107d(m): 2:49pm On May 28, 2009
Becomrich:

Sammy let say,

I have absolutely no idea lipsrsealed. I am just a student who reads his news.

I suppose you could walk into the bank and get detailed information. I wouldn't really want informal advice on going about such things.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On May 28, 2009
DRANOEL:

fashola is trying no doubt,but we should try and get information straight before copying and pasting,fashola only commissioned tha cars[b],the initiative was actually a union bank thing (they invited fashola the same way they would have invited yar'adua),secondly they were 200 cars and not 1200![/b]

Thank you very much for that information!!! We need more of this!!
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Sammy107d(m): 3:08pm On May 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Thank you very much for that information!!! We need more of this!!

Sorry I didn't link a source; I got it from another forum. There are conflicting news headlines online. here's a link that affirms a 1255 against a 222 figure.

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=3868&z=12
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by moneygurl: 3:09pm On May 28, 2009
Lagos govt commissions new cabs

The Lagos State government, on Tuesday, launched the second phase of its modern taxi scheme with the unveiling of five more operators and the roll out of 1,255 new taxis at the Lagos House, Ikeja.

The five new operators in the scheme include E-Taxi, Orange Cabs, C-Trans Global, I-Trans, and Red Cabs.

Each of the operators met the state government's conditions for approval of operations, which included the use of new vehicles with meters and tracking devices.

This brings the total number of operators in the scheme to six.

"We are going back to improving the taxi scheme," said Bamidele Badejo, the Commissioner for Transportation.

"We encouraged the private sector to come in; the Lagos State government has contributed no kobo to the scheme. The operators we are launching today fulfilled all the conditions laid down by us, and the conditions are: each must adopt a particular colour, and must have in-built amenities like meter and tracking devices. The beauty of it is that each player was mandated to have a minimum of 200 vehicles, and these five met the condition."

Hundreds of taxi drivers in the state, smartly dressed in yellow t-shirts and caps, were at the event and expressed their happiness at the development.

"We are all very happy to be here today," said Kehinde Odegbami, one of the taxi drivers. "This will help us in our business; and hopefully, with time, we will begin to see more of such new cars in [sic] the streets."

Al-Rasheed Inamiyu, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Taxi Drivers' and Cab Operators' Association, expressed his gratitude to one of the financiers, Union Bank, for partnering the state government in financing the purchase of 222 vehicles.

"We appreciate the efforts of Union Bank," he said. "We also appeal to them to do more. We are also calling on other state governments to emulate this initiative by the Lagos State government."

Union Bank's Executive Director (Commercial Banking, Lagos), Kenneth Adeyemi, who represented the Group Managing Director of Union Bank, Barth Ebong, pledged the bank's commitment to partnering the state government in its developmental projects.

"For a city of over 15 million people, the importance of transport cannot be over emphasised," he said. "Union Bank is proud to associate with the Lagos State government and the Lagos taxi drivers association in this project which will provide employment, provide security, privacy, and comfort for the passengers, increase the speed of commuting, and boost business activities in the state. We are doing all these in line with our corporate responsibility policies."

Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, in his speech at the occasion, commended the investors for their efforts and urged drivers of the taxis to handle the vehicles with care and obey traffic laws so as to avoid accidents.

"Whatever people may say about our country and our state, we have good stories to tell," he said. "Today represents one of those good stories. This partnership has brought 1,255 taxi cabs and by immediate consequence, 1,255 jobs. This also confirms that the private sector partnership is an engine of growth.

"I urge drivers to be conscious that the automobile is not a toy and should be handled with care so as not to turn it into an instrument of destruction. Lagos is working."

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5420206-147/Lagos_govt_commissions_new_cabs_.csp
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by REALTRUTH1: 3:16pm On May 28, 2009
@Poster,,How is there service charge like??how much do they charge? is it by per hour or per day,,,please ley me know!
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On May 28, 2009
I wonder how much those cabs cost. . . . what a waste.
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Fhemmmy: 3:21pm On May 28, 2009
What will be the fare.
Is it by meter reading?
Will the cab enjoy the Designated lane as well?
Re: Fashola Commissions 1,200 Cabs. Pictures by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On May 28, 2009
afam4eva:

I wonder how much those cabs cost. . . . what a waste.

The venture is PRIVATELY funded, NOT FUNDED BY THE STATE, and so it is only a waste if the investor, in this case, UNION BANK, lets it go to waste.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Must See! APC Soap Campaign Strategy. / Igbo Leaders To Buhari: We Won’t Be Deceived With 2023 Igbo Presidency / Lauretta Onochie: Atiku Is Depressed Get Him His Pills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.