Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

The Hard Truth About Your Salary - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Hard Truth About Your Salary (57050 Views)

Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing / Describe Your Salary With A Movie Title!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by chaidavese: 6:32pm On Dec 03, 2015
Pidggin:
Knowing your salary will be paid at the end of the month helps you plan unlike in business where you cannot tell.
. Salary earners are people that have are afraid of taking risks. There are so many potentials in this country. if you do your research very well before venturing in to any business, the risk will reduce and you will be smiling to the bank

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by bellville: 6:41pm On Dec 03, 2015
dearpreye:
My financial struggles of the past forced me into having the mindset outlined by the poster, hahn. It's now a huge risk to be fully employed without one thinking outside the box. It's a monumental gamble. With a job loss or one huge financial disaster, one's thrown into hunger and deep frustration.

The information age requires an entirely different approach to the acquisition of wealth. One has to think far into the future.

I'll recommend Robert Kiyosaki's Cashflow Quadrant for anyone willing to understand this thread better.
Insightful comment. Anyone who needs Cashflow Quadrant should check my signature.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Tjayjosh(m): 6:45pm On Dec 03, 2015
Koolking:
The hard truth on the flipped side of the coin...as a graduate earning meagre salary compared to not-so-literate artisans who earn more, you stand a chance at better planning and execution of projects than the artisans who lack formal requisite experience at putting scarce resources to optimum use.

With the right attitude, Eskimos are most likely to buy ice from you than from the artisans.

That's the difference bro
Dey there dey fool yourself.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Koolking(m): 6:49pm On Dec 03, 2015
Tjayjosh:

Explain what you mean Sir
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Ugosample(m): 6:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nihilist:
This article is so wrong I dont even know where to begin

1. The average employee typically works a 5 day week or roughly 20 days in month. I completely disgree with the premise of the OP's dubious calculations, but even if the calculations were grounded in some sort of logic, shouldn't the OP be dividing by 20 instead of 30?

2. The OP also misses the point by comparing an employee and his steady income to Hawkers,Truckers etc with their irregular cash flow. Again I doubt the veracity of his stats with regards to the earnings of hawkers, truckers and co, but even if the stats were true, The OP still fails to consider that even though the Hawker could earn 2000 Naira in a day, he/she is not guaranteed an income of 120k per month unlike the Banker

The crux of the OP's assertion is Business Owners have the potential to earn more than employees. The OP fails to consider the level of risk that these entrepreneurs are exposed to.

For the vast majority of people, it is better to go to work and be guaranteed your 300k monthly salary jejely, than to go and out hustle with no true knowledge of when the next paycheck is coming.

I love this response! !!

But the op has a point too.

So you both have different points, but they are both correct.

2 Likes

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by 400billionman: 7:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
A businessman making N200,000 a month is 4 times better than a banker making same amount.

Why ? Time management. The businessman spends his time thinking of areas to invest his N200,000 to make more money in a continuous cycle while the banker spends his time thinking of how to retain his job by making more money for his employer (the bank )..

Over 10 years the businessman will definitely have a house and even tenants while the banker is still a tenant.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by hahn(m): 7:06pm On Dec 03, 2015
warrior101:
Something doesn't sound right about this. For example, In the light of the subject, the graduate is an arm of govermrnt so does it mean the private workers must consider helping them too as much as they are helping the government?

By starting your own business, you create employment for graduates thereby reducing the stress it would take the government to find jobs for them.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by blessingee: 7:08pm On Dec 03, 2015
Tjayjosh:

If you don't know what to say, just waka pass na...

Whats your point exactly?
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by shozillo(m): 7:12pm On Dec 03, 2015
hahn:
I got this from facebook and thought it is worth sharing

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208363981207537&id=1545267988

Op,Right onpoint!

But it would be fair you use d Working days...then divide by d HOURS u Put in 2 reali know how much you Earn!

But ,all in all,the Richest People are d people who Own the Company u Work for!

Like Kiyosaki said..its nt d job of d Employer to get you Rich so Mind your OWN BUSINESS!!!

Most job are Just over Broke...so Diversify n Start smthing at d side!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by God2man(m): 7:13pm On Dec 03, 2015
Rumpelstiltskin:
"Profits are better than salaries; Salaries earn you a living, profits earn you a fortune"

True

1 Like

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by chukwudiugwegbu: 7:16pm On Dec 03, 2015
BUY BRAND NEW ABB TRANSFORMERS WITH ONE YR
WARRANTY AND ORIGINAL TEST REPORTS FROM
ISTANBUL TURKEY. WE ALSO DO INSTALLATION . CALL or 0818 872 3968 or 08165758496..... visit www.lighthousestandard.com

have an entreprenual week
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Tjayjosh(m): 7:31pm On Dec 03, 2015
adegeye38:

what you just typed is all bullshit, my mum makes close to 200,000 as a level 15 officer working on a govt job that an average of 6000 per day if divided by 30 and 10000 per day if divided by 20 but the monthly 200,000 remain dsame, and she works 7 hours daily monday to friday

Now I, as an undergraduate i work in the transport business and i earn an ever sure 8000 naira per day after paying my assistants and working for around 7 hours also 6 days a week, and due to the fact that i still live with my family i tend to save each moneyvi make per day in the bank, that about 50000 per week, and about 208,000 per month and my monthly earnings have never been less than195,000 per month before and am in full control of my business and i earn more than my parents who have been working in the civil service for about 25 years.

Nigeria is a gold mine graduates and youths arent just willing and always myopic to see it they are thousands of ways to make it without waiting or looking for a white collar job around.
A chill bottle of origin for this guy please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by zemaye: 7:35pm On Dec 03, 2015
he deactivated sad
Walkopet:
[size=18pt]Nairalanders, Abeg who help me see sile12, e don tey wey I see d guy's post last o[/size]
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by tuniski: 7:37pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nihilist:

You can work hard at your own business in Nigeria with due diligence and still fail spectacularly. Nigeria is not conducive for starting and running a business. My post is merely explaining how people prefer the certainty and relative safety of a monthly paycheck to the uncertainty of striking out on your own in the badlands of Nigeria.

Do you own a Nigerian business? Did you find setting it up, funding and running it as simplistic as the OP portrays?
it is worth the risk failing spectacularly is far better than failing after all! Except for corruption, work for 30yrs and u will still be short of real success. U live an employee life and die a slave to salary/pension that can never be enuff! Wake up and stop looking at true success as suffer head. The real suffer head is d salary earner!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by deejeet1: 7:51pm On Dec 03, 2015
I recommend to anyone interested to read the book titled "Rich dad, poor dad". It will give you all a huge motivation to be employers and not employees
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Tjayjosh(m): 8:21pm On Dec 03, 2015
Koolking:

Explain what you mean Sir
Sorry bro! But i think the requisite going by the context is common sense, and the ability to think vast, not just by being a graduate. This is what makes the difference. Note: I do not by anyway undermine the importance of education.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by virginboy1(m): 8:22pm On Dec 03, 2015
GOD bless our hustles, either entrepreneurs or salary earners.
As for me, let the credit alerts keeps coming in.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by virginboy1(m): 8:22pm On Dec 03, 2015
GOD bless our hustles, either entrepreneurs or salary earners.
As for me, let the credit alerts keeps coming in.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Manweysabi(m): 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2015
Hehehehehe

2 Likes

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by promo4(m): 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2015
You need to know how money works by building your financial intelligence. Truly a business owner is better than an employee...the book rich dad poor dad is a great asset.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by ikechukwu354(m): 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nihilist:

1. The average employee typically works a 5 day week or roughly 20 days in month. I completely disgree with the premise of the OP's dubious calculations, but even if the calculations were grounded in some sort of logic, shouldn't the OP be dividing by 20 instead of 30?

2. The OP also misses the point by comparing an employee and his steady income to Hawkers,Truckers etc with their irregular cash flow. Again I doubt the veracity of his stats with regards to the earnings of hawkers, truckers and co, but even if the stats were true, The OP still fails to consider that even though the Hawker could earn 2000 Naira in a day, he/she is not guaranteed an income of 120k per month unlike the Banker

The crux of the OP's assertion is Business Owners have the potential to earn more than employees. The OP fails to consider the level of risk that these entrepreneurs are exposed to.

For the vast majority of people, it is better to go to work and be guaranteed your 300k monthly salary jejely, than to go and out hustle with no true knowledge of when the next paycheck is coming.

at last that's the mindset we all talking about... I will die a capitalist.
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by ikechukwu354(m): 8:26pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nihilist:

at last that's the mindset we all talking about... I will die an accomplished capitalist
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by ifyan(m): 8:54pm On Dec 03, 2015
Walkopet:
[size=18pt]Nairalanders, Abeg who help me see sile12, e don tey wey I see d guy's post last o[/size]

He has a new user name called Explorer
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by ifyan(m): 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2015
Walkopet:

He has a new user name called Explorer

But true be told he is awesome
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2015
I have been on both sides of the divide and made my choice between Earning a Salary and Making a Profit. very few will make it to Top Executive positions where salary earnings and perks can keep you living large for the rest of your life.. so do not kid yourself. I have seen many top banking execs today who lost their jobs due to restructuring and economic downturns - they have nothing. Earning a Salary will most times make you too comfortable to prepare yourself for better opportunities.. soon you will realise that you have spent 15-20 years in one job and Age will no longer get you ahead in life because you have learned nothing new. Family will no longer allow you take risks cos you are not that young.. then you will regret not nurturing your dreams into feasible ideas that will earn you sustainable income.

Many work for people who nurtured their dreams and have people like you on a salary

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by chccho(m): 9:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
Op u have a point but that doesn't mean u should condemn or discourage salary earners.Everyone cannot be an enterpreneur u know and every entrepreneur needs an employee anyway.some people are just career people who aren't interested in owning a biz.
Furthermore, there are different kinds of jobs,u can't tell me someone working in shell or Mobil or a pilot earns peanuts arent they employess toothese are jobs that the allowance and bonuses alone is enough to build u a correct house in this Lagos..not to even now add take home, profit sharing etc
Sometimes too u need to get some professional working experience to be able to successfully manage ur own biz eventually.so oga let people also do what suits them.

1 Like

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 03, 2015
chccho:
Op u have a point but that doesn't mean u should condemn or discourage salary earners.Everyone cannot be an enterpreneur u know and every entrepreneur needs an employee anyway.some people are just career people who aren't interested in owning a biz.
Furthermore, there are different kinds of jobs,u can't tell me someone working in shell or Mobil or a pilot earns peanuts arent they employess toothese are jobs that the allowance and bonuses alone is enough to build u a correct house in this Lagos..not to even now add take home, profit sharing etc
Sometimes too u need to get some professional working experience to be able to successfully manage ur own biz eventually.so oga let people also do what suits them.

On the contrary.. this should make salary earners think of becoming professionals at tomorrow rather than experts at today (me, 2015). the dynamics of employment and opportunity are fast changing. you need to reinvent yourself strategically for success otherwise you will just be the same as the next guy or the fresh grad who can do your job better at lower salaries. I always advice salary-earners (friends) to keep improving their skillset and always keep ahead of the curve.. never plan your life around your salary alone.. age is a bitch in Nigeria.. soon your services will no longer be needed. if you find yourself an indispensable asset to your organization, then you are ripe for striking out. Entrepreneurial Success does not lie in going it alone, it lies in recognizing who your big tickets are, potential partners looking at the same perspectives and and how to fill that imminent need with an idea that can build sustainable value and earning consistent profit.

Many salary earners are awed by consultants who work on a seemingly small part of a big corporation-wide project and earn their annual salaries+allowances in a month or two. it did not start with sitting at the back of the bus reading a book.. these guys stuck their heads out the windows, chewed gum and spat at passing cars.. opportunity will never be in sight if you sit tight (me, 2015)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Djboosting: 9:13pm On Dec 03, 2015
ePlanet:

R u rather advising the soon to be graduates to; instead of creating jobs n empowering lives,they should fold their arms, carrying files from one company to d other or submitting numerous applications online ( burning their lil cash on data bundle) n not getting called for interviews?

U were created to create n enrich lives not to aquire n hoard.
Entrepreneurship is the way forward.
Help the country help others.

For every penny oil company pays u, they suck ur blood.
Why wud u seek to work in an oil company when u can own D Oil Company?
Know that IF YOU DON'T BUILD YOUR DREAM, OTHERS WUD PAY YOU PEANUTS TO HELP BUILD THEIRS.

#justthewayeriz

My man, u just pull the words from my heart..

I can't imagine how I stood still in a particular situation and wait for a salary dat is already 'predetermined'.
That's why people are lazy.. They won't do sh¡t..

Instead of them working their asses off and be the author of their own fate.. But no.. They'd rather follow wot d others are doing while burying their goal, purpose, talent and vision.

Now if the government failed to pay a particular salary, they get into trouble.. sad

Even Jesus in the Bible did not say - I retire ... Rather He said - "It is finished"
Meaning His purpose and goal is completed

"Work hard at your job and you'll make a living, work hard on YOURSELF and you'll make a fortune" - Napoleon hill

#coldHardTruth
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by mrwiddy(m): 9:21pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nihilist:

SALARIANER!!
Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 03, 2015
Nihilist:

yeah true, but the higher the risk the higher the pay. outside the box you earn, you grow to any length and breadth, no limitation. within the box fear of unknown and risk will not or allow them to venture out.if you leave in lagos check out trade volume in ladipo, mile 2, yaba,alaba etc and if you reside in east, verify this claim in onitsha market . outside -the- box -people make so much, it is real very real. just try and check up yourself. when those within the box are done, retired/expelled etc, they want to come and join those outside the box.

1 Like

Re: The Hard Truth About Your Salary by esonuu(m): 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2015
hahn:
I got this from facebook and thought it is worth sharing..vry correct..abeg wat kinda biz can one do,and any idea where i can get a loan without collateral cos i dnt hav start up capital

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208363981207537&id=1545267988

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

This Is How Much Most Graduates Earn In Nigeria As Starting Salary / Sample Coren Technical Report / Since I Slept With My Staff She No Longer Respects Me Pls Advise Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.