Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,219 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice (28316 Views)

How To Attain Good Grades In Your First Year At The University / I'm In 300 Level With Poor Grades: Advice Needed / See How Facebook Drastically Improved My Son's Grades In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by 211Observer(m): 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
This is just my case. am experiencing this same sad story right nw. sometime I wish i could end it by gotten mysef prepared for 6fits underground. I see mysef as if am in the wrong world.
bro/sis, only if u re experiencing this... u can only knw the mental... associate with seeing ursef wit low self-esteem, nd no sense of belonging. at times, deep inside u, you knw that u re not a dullard or you counterparts are better than you. well to me I think something is missing somewhere.
I av come to understand that in this life... sometime u does thing u have no idea how it was manipulated to ur advantage bcuz u knw that your potentials is not up to that level. and otherwise you u just do something nd hoping to see excellent result but the story always leaves ur mouth widely open "how come" while u fighting the tears to remain in ur eyes. woo, all is well jare!
lets get Closer to GOD.

I CNT RE-READ AND EDIT. so just read nd...
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by ChappyChase: 2:56pm On Dec 11, 2015
dfrost:

One word for you: courageous. A Nigerian with this attitude is rare. Keep your head up and the sky will be your starting point. What discipline do you intend studying? I'm really humbled by your attitude.

@op think of the pain you will cause your loved ones and how your dad will be hurt by your decisions. Send me a pm with your contact details
Hahahha, I applied for theatre and films on my first 2sitings and law on the third one.. E go better..
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by HITTED(m): 3:01pm On Dec 11, 2015
Is there no wet transformer in ur area? Hug it! angry
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Hexzyz(m): 3:03pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
Good day Nairalanders, the time I started writing this is 3:22am, whether am a popular NLder or not doesn't matter, but I would like to Conceal my identity. These would be a bit long, because I would want to explain all what is happening and has been happening to me concerning my education.

I am from the eastern part of Nigeria, and school somewhere in the south, part of the top 10 universities in Nigeria.
Back in my, Primary and Junior secondary school, I was extremely brilliant, always part of first 3, a lot of times I was 1st in class and best overall. Even my junior waec, I was so happy, people were happy for me.

The problem started in my secondary school, I noticed I started dropping, my 2nd term in SS1, I was 21/23 in class, same school, same class mates.
I thought maybe I had started playing to much, so I stopped all what I figured out could be the problem, yet there was no solution, my parents got me private teachers for my core subjects. Once they are with me, I would understand what they teach me, when they leave, I don't slack, I continue reading and reading, when exam comes, it would seem like I wasn't the one who read. A day before the exam, it would be fresh in my head and when I even write the exam, my mind would be like "you have killed it"
My parents would ask how it was, my reply would be: "yes, it was perfect, expecting the perfect result".

When I see my result, I would as usual fail virtually everything.
Still, I managed to go/forge ahead, I was able to pass my WASSCE in one sitting, how I did that I don't know, not that I passed outstandingly, I only had 'credit' in all the subject I was expect to have grade 'C'.

Then the hustle for Jamb came, let it be known that I wrote jamb 5 times, and the 5th time was when I got admitted to my school of choice.

Currently in my 200level, we resumed a new session about 2months ago. Now to what caused dis write up.

My first semester of 100level result: C, F, A, D, D.

A terrible result for someone in 100level, yes, I know. I felt too relaxed first semester, played a lot.
I determined that 2nd semester would be better, not that I was expecting all A's but I didn't want any F.
So my whole 2nd semester was reading all through, I read to the extent that I started feeling sure I should have A's in at least 3 out of 6 courses.

But when the result came in, it was worse than my first semester without me playing or getting distracted,
My 2nd semester of 100level result: C, F, C, E, C,F

And now 200level has kicked off, but something is happening to me.

I don't think I can survive this anymore,
My parents don't have money, my dad is struggling to send us to school.
None of my siblings work,
I have been contemplating different means of ending my life,
I move about with shame, I don't sleep anymore, I can't get my head straight, I would stay awake all night crying and praying for a change in my academic life.

I have done all what I think I can humanly do, hence why the thought of taking my life,
I know I can't create a life, but of what use is one that doesn't seem to make people happy?
But then, I decided to come on here, to ask if there is something else in reading I am not doing apart from, reading.... I have applied all the reading techniques applicable, jot while reading, revise, ask myself questions, and all. But still after exam, I don't seem to have that desired result, I have prayed countless times.

By my side is a chemical I got when I discovered I had 2f's. Education, they say is the best legacy. But in my case it isn't sure if it would be, I am a business oriented person, but no money to even establish myself, so that's not an option, please Nairalanders, I don't wish to Take my life, please is there anything you can suggest to me other than suicide and constant reading and prayers. I am 22years of age.

cry
God bless.

Don't worry, put your trust in God. Give your life to Jesus and things will take a change.

I have similar experience with you, it was as if you were narrating my own story. I was the best student in my secondary school, wrote ssce thrice and jamb twice, before I got admitted into my choice course of study. It was engineering, I had a very bad results and even probated in my 100 level, my gpa was 1.91. I began 200 level after serving my one year of probation through thick and thin, I have high hopes and was very studious believing things will change, I even became fervent with religious activities. At the end I got a 3.05 gpa, I was devastated, I couldn't eat well, sleep well and stop going to church, I wanted to turn an atheist. My background is not a rich one and my dad is an advocate for academic excellence.
At the beginning of 300 level, I heard my inner self telling me that without God I can do nothing and seeing my background, I dusted myself and made up my mind to do my best and let God have his way, I prayed for forgiveness and I continued with my faith. At the end of the session I made a 3.54 gpa. To cut the story short, I graduated with a second class upper and everyone was happy, I went for my nysc and completed it, I have not gotten a proper job but I am doing fine, and hoping God will lift me up to greater heights.
I pray that God will grant you academic excellence in Jesus name. And I come against any strong hold fighting your life right now in the name of Jesus. God bless you. And please don't think of committing suicide.

3 Likes

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 11, 2015
gunpoint:

You really want to die cos if nairalanders advise you finish, you will double the dose of that chemical.

On the flip side i think what happend to me happened to you. If you zoned out after JSS 3, then you got placed in the wrong area probably on the strength of you then result. You studied wrong in SS classes and are now studying something at undergraduate level you are very weak in. I know cos i spent 8years studying a five year course.
If you are bold about it, you can switch now. Or you can struggle like me and just finish the damn thing.
You 1st year results and mine are pretty similar but i still finished with a 2.2 and i eventually finished strongly and smashed at MSc level abroad. Don't drink that chemical lil bro, don't look at you unemployed siblings as a barometer. Tomorrow go always make more sense.
If someone told me this in 2001 when my CGPA was 1.5 i for no believe am, look at me now na grin

Life indeed is full of misery.Someone at gunpoint is advising someone at suicide point grin
gunpoint:

You really want to die cos if nairalanders advise you finish, you will double the dose of that chemical.

On the flip side i think what happend to me happened to you. If you zoned out after JSS 3, then you got placed in the wrong area probably on the strength of you then result. You studied wrong in SS classes and are now studying something at undergraduate level you are very weak in. I know cos i spent 8years studying a five year course.
If you are bold about it, you can switch now. Or you can struggle like me and just finish the damn thing.
You 1st year results and mine are pretty similar but i still finished with a 2.2 and i eventually finished strongly and smashed at MSc level abroad. Don't drink that chemical lil bro, don't look at you unemployed siblings as a barometer. Tomorrow go always make more sense.
If someone told me this in 2001 when my CGPA was 1.5 i for no believe am, look at me now na grin

Life indeed is full of misery.Someone at gunpoint is advising someone at suicide point
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 11, 2015
Confessng:
Don't drink that chemical, nothing is ever as bad as we think it is .
What do you enjoy doing ?
And a degree may aid you to have a better life but it isn't the ultimate.
Start looking for alternate means of earning some form of income.
Start learning about something you love....

The problem with the world is the bandwagon syndrome everyone wants to be a graduate yet we all have our different callings.

i remember growing up two guys brothers ooh dropped out one in JSs3 went ahead to be a carpenter today he is married to a graduate and drives a clean RAV4

His younger bro waited till ss2 dropped out and went ahead to be an Electrician trust me he is doing very very well......

If not passing courses can make you suicidal then what will happen if you get into the job market and can't find a job for years as it happens in the Nigerian labor market ?

I think God is just trying to open your eyes to other possibilities that you should pay attention to , do not let grades determine how far you will go in life Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates , Steve Jobs and if that is going to far our own Seun Osewa aren't graduates, they are all self taught geniuses ......

Find what you love doing and if it means leaving the 4walls of a university or attending courses you enjoy like Steve Jobs not for marks but for learning by all means go for it

Don't commit suicide there is greatness inside you crying for expression, go and pour away that chemical

Are you seen osewa's wife??
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 11, 2015
studying Mech engineering oau,my 100 level grade was 1.35,but I thank God now,am among the best 15 student that will b graduating next year out of class of 92 student
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Confessng: 3:06pm On Dec 11, 2015
Wife fire!
reminiscing:

Are you seen osewa's wife??
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 11, 2015
gunpoint:

Look young man, a degree is a degree is a degree.
50% of all graduates end up in banking anyways, and banks take anything, and i mean anything. Back when i was in the country, i worked with medical doctors and soil science graduates in these banks, all of us doing operations or marketing.
Don't stress yourself, if accounting is stressing you, change your dreams, what course unit did you make an A in for example? It will help us know your strengths

I'm studying soil science
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by mommysgirl(f): 3:16pm On Dec 11, 2015
gunpoint:

Gunpoint grin
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 11, 2015
My dear,please don't commit suicide.Try and make sure that u read everyday after your lecture,don't procrastinate reading your lecture note after class each day.Also do your revision for the week every Saturday and sunday for like 4hours or depending on how your strength can carry u.
I am very intelligent but I don't really read but wen I apply that method + prayer "A" is always my portion.Try it......peace

1 Like

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 11, 2015
Add me on whatsapp @ 07085078800. I'll make an eBook for you. your story is pathetic? Something can be done
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by 211Observer(m): 3:36pm On Dec 11, 2015
AYOBAMEE911:
Add me on whatsapp @ 07085078800. I'll make an eBook for you. your story is pathetic? Something can be done
r u sure? coz m having similar case, bro
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by davolas(m): 4:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
oya take knife nw kill yaself
oh boy its not all bout d grade but grace matters nd u still in 200l work hard, pray hard tings can still get beta
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by omatynx: 4:09pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:
Good day Nairalanders, the time I started writing this is 3:22am, whether am a popular NLder or not doesn't matter, but I would like to Conceal my identity. These would be a bit long, because I would want to explain all what is happening and has been happening to me concerning my education.

I am from the eastern part of Nigeria, and school somewhere in the south, part of the top 10 universities in Nigeria.
Back in my, Primary and Junior secondary school, I was extremely brilliant, always part of first 3, a lot of times I was 1st in class and best overall. Even my junior waec, I was so happy, people were happy for me.

The problem started in my secondary school, I noticed I started dropping, my 2nd term in SS1, I was 21/23 in class, same school, same class mates.
I thought maybe I had started playing to much, so I stopped all what I figured out could be the problem, yet there was no solution, my parents got me private teachers for my core subjects. Once they are with me, I would understand what they teach me, when they leave, I don't slack, I continue reading and reading, when exam comes, it would seem like I wasn't the one who read. A day before the exam, it would be fresh in my head and when I even write the exam, my mind would be like "you have killed it"
My parents would ask how it was, my reply would be: "yes, it was perfect, expecting the perfect result".

Still, I managed to go/forge ahead, I was able to pass my WASSCE in one sitting, how I did that I don't know, not that I passed outstandingly, I only had 'credit' in all the subject I was expect to have grade 'C'.

Then the hustle for Jamb came, let it be known that I wrote jamb 5 times, and the 5th time was when I got admitted to my school of choice.

Currently in my 200level, we resumed a new session about 2months ago. Now to what caused dis write up.

A terrible result for someone in 100level, yes, I know. I felt too relaxed first semester, played a lot.
I determined that 2nd semester would be better, not that I was expecting all A's but I didn't want any F.
So my whole 2nd semester was reading all through, I read to the extent that I started feeling sure I should have A's in at least 3 out of 6 courses.

But when the result came in, it was worse than my first semester without me playing or getting distracted,

I move about with shame, I don't sleep anymore, I can't get my head straight, I would stay awake all night crying and praying for a change in my academic life.

I have done all what I think I can humanly do, hence why the thought of taking my life,
I know I can't create a life, but of what use is one that doesn't seem to make people happy?
But then, I decided to come on here, to ask if there is something else in reading I am not doing apart from, reading.... I have applied all the reading techniques applicable, jot while reading, revise, ask myself questions, and all. But still after exam, I don't seem to have that desired result, I have prayed countless times.

By my side is a chemical I got when I discovered I had 2f's. Education, they say is the best legacy. But in my case it isn't sure if it would be, I am a business oriented person, but no money to even establish myself, so that's not an option, please Nairalanders, I don't wish to Take my life, please is there anything you can suggest to me other than suicide and constant reading and prayers. I am 22years of age.

cry
God bless.

Bro the critical ingredients for success in academics is mental capacity, passion for study and delivery skill. I think u hav d first two but lack d last one. In primary school it's just give as given. But from secondary school scores are based on points i.e how u organise ur answers and how much important information u write about question asked. It's not about cramming and filling several pages but what quality is contained in ur answers.

My advice: practice writing in an organized manner answers to possible exam questions with enough vital information ( taught or researched) den watch ur grades improve. All d best bro.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by leahcimzil: 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2015
i sell suicide ropes with ready made noose. Idiot. yeye dey smell
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by donhils: 4:29pm On Dec 11, 2015
I didn't read everything written here cos it's too long. But based on the title of your post, I can say please do. what are you waiting for? please commit suicide.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Temysteve(m): 4:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
1. u sound galish!
2. You dnt av a determination
3. Nd d worst part of it is killing urself, abeg if u kill urself u just help d matter coz we too much 4 dis.
Just sit down nd search for ur destiny, maybe u done sometin wrong somewhere which is now bomeranging nd ur educational career. nd also remember prayer is the master key to all ur dealing.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Temysteve(m): 4:35pm On Dec 11, 2015
1. u sound galish!
2. You dnt av a determination
3. Nd d worst part of it is killing urself, abeg if u kill urself u just help d matter coz we too much 4 dis country.
Just sit down nd search for ur destiny, maybe u done sometin wrong somewhere which is now bomeranging nd ur educational career. nd also remember prayer is the master key to all ur dealing.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by ReLaTE(m): 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2015
Bros, your problem is that you think too much,.May be u are not getting enuf money for ur school needs and it is affecting you.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by mutvy: 4:44pm On Dec 11, 2015
Common, why would you commit suicide? There is no reason in this world why anyone would commit suicide. Haven't you read stories of great men such as Albert Einstein,Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Abraham Lincoln etc the list is endless. Just be focus and be yourself. People like you who have difficulties at the beginning always have their names written in gold. You shall be great in the very near future. Just watch out.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 11, 2015
sometimes fear creates obsession within a person that has the ability to destroy the individual. Don't be too TOO HARD trying to make good grade because it can set up a negative feedback within you that will begin to destroy every aspects of your life. So it will be wise for you to relax. The Bible says be CAREFUL FOR NOTHING but in every thing by praying WITHOUT SEIZING let your request be made known to God. Psychology says that you will always mess up with something your too careful about . that's why Bible is saying be careful for nothing. All you need to do is to stay upon God. believe you be when this door seem to be closed just watch how God will do a miracle at lass or will open another door that will make you to testify in future. But my brother you have to remain faithful to God if you want him to enter your case. But bear in mind he may not work the way you just expect it so don't think you've been wasting your time praying
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by rocoh(m): 5:00pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

cry
God bless.

got to MFM PRAYER CITY FOR DELIVERANCE
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
211Observer:
r u sure? coz m having similar case, bro

yes . when you add up just signify.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nwogeh: 5:07pm On Dec 11, 2015
My post here can help u kwa pending wen we connect https://www.nairaland.com/2680857/wondered-why
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by oiki: 5:09pm On Dec 11, 2015
I hardly ever comment here but I had to this time because your story is similar to what I went through, but unlike you I started the struggle right from primary 1. Yes I was one of the few people that have had to read with intensity all through my education.
From what you explained in your original post, I observed that you are currently studying in an area where you are very weak at, mind you this doesn't mean you are dull it just means that you have to change your studying tactics.
What I did during my time was to get very close to the gurus about two of them in my class and then we solve problems related to that course together, study past questios, do assignments and get tutorial in any area I found difficult. Reading on your own in this case would never be enough.
Finally my year one CGPA was 1.69 but I had to re-strategise and applied all the things I mentioned above. I ended up graduating with a 2'1. All hope is not lost. My dear please keep hope alive. You will succeed for you are a success!
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by alaskido(m): 5:19pm On Dec 11, 2015
Please choose which method you would like to use in committing the suicide. Gamalin 20, rope hanging, knife, jumping from bridge, by gun, stand in front of trailer.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by akanbiaa(m): 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2015
And what should those with high grades who graduated many years ago who are frustrated of not getting job do?
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by akanbiaa(m): 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2015
HITTED:
Is there no wet transformer in ur area? Hug it! angry
Hmmm maybe no light, anyway una to hard on these person o, like play like play he fit later commit suicide o but sha lets just advice him, don't commit suicide cos all religions says hell fire is guaranteed for such a person and if you hear other peoples story you will be the one advicing them not too.
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by astute07(f): 6:04pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

cry
God bless.

U b idiot.Y u ask for permission na; cos na u get ur breathe bah.foolish child wud u b d first or last; wat happen to trying after every fall.obviously u not gud academically; Y not try vocation.hope say u still get parents o

Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by JudgementHammer: 6:05pm On Dec 11, 2015
AmNotADullard:

cry
God bless.

You're not ready to die yet. If you're ready to die, you won't tell anybody talkless of asking for advice. You'll just go ahead with d suicide
Re: Poor Grades In School: Come To My Aid Nlders, I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 11, 2015
please my dear its a spiritual problem challenges and spiritual forces against you,check ur friends especially the female ones you have slept with,meet a spiritual director in your church or you contact me i will help you out ,becos i see the devil want to have you and your destiny in his quiver,but firstly you said you played alot and thats what have brought about your poor academic perfomance,lastly have you given your life to christ?your prayer won`t work if you have not given your life to christ.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Categories Of Students That Request For Extra Booklets During Exam / 35 Common Equations In Chemistry That You Must Know / My FUTO Lodge-Mate's Roommate Is A Child Trafficker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.