Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,220 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC (22505 Views)

Sim Reg: MTN Has Paid 165bn Fine – NCC / Unsolicited SMS To Attract N5m Fine – NCC / MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by slimgold123(f): 5:19pm On Dec 08, 2015
The Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, has defended its action to reduce the N1.04 trillion fine on MTN Nigeria to N780 billion, saying it acted in the interest of the stability of the telecom sector.

The commission said it weighed all pros and cons and arrived at a decision it considered favourable to all concerned. Director public Affairs of the NCC, Mr Tony Ojobo, said that after considering the operator’s admission of guilt, huge investment in the country, the large subscriber base and Nigeria being its largest market, the decision to arrive at the reduction was not too difficult.

According to Ojobo, “MTN wrote the commission, acknowledged that there has been an infraction and are now pleading for leniency . In the past we have also had people plead for leniency on their sanctions. At that time, of course the NCC board has not been constituted, no Minister, the authority of the president was required for such a decision to be taken in the absence of the minister, and so the commission had to notify the presidency.

“The stakeholders looked at it with all the pros and cons and reduced the fine by 25 percent. We are aware and conscious of the level of investment MTN has made in this market; they have the largest number of subscribers, it is also important to know that Nigeria remains their biggest market. We have taken all into considerations, and that was what even informed the discussion in the first place.
Weighing all of these issues, is why this action has been taken”.

The controversy surrounding the unprecedented One trillion, four hundred million Naira fine the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, slammed on MTN Nigeria for allegedly not being able to disconnect about 5.1 million improperly registered subscribers on its network, appeared settled Thursday, last week, when the regulator reduced the fine by 25 percent.

Although the telecommunications company, alleged that the commission conveyed the message to them in a conflicting manner, with two letters bearing conflicting figures, the Commission has since admitted that the first letter bearing 35 percent reduction was in error and therefore should be discarded while the second, bearing 25 percent should be regarded as the authentic.

According to Ojobo, “there was a mistake in figure of the first letter which immediately prompted the second one. “The actual decision is that the Commission, has after due considerations of MTN’s consistent pleas and admission of guilt, among other factors, decided to reduce the fine by 25 percent”. With the explanation, the commission says it expected MTN Nigeria to perfectly understand without any ambiguity that the fine has been reduced to N780 billion Naira of which it has not more than December 31, 2015 to settle.

The telecommunications company on its part has promised to study the new development while directing its Executive Chairman, Mr Phutma Nlekho to urgently engage the Nigerian government with a view to getting resolutions that would prompt its official response.

However, the commission’s decision to reduce the fine and the figure at which it arrived at, have also elicited reactions from the Nigerian public. Although, notable Information technology practitioners have refrained from making comments on the whole issue. Those who Vanguard sought their opinion on the issue pleaded to be left out of the debate, saying the sensitive nature of the fine makes industry players opinion very implicating.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/why-we-reduced-mtns-n1-04trn-fine-ncc/

2 Likes

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
even if mtn still pay this one, na close them go close be dat sad

9 Likes

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by UyiIredia(m): 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2015
MTN still dey yellow wayo people to pay the fine.

1 Like

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by teemy(m): 8:03pm On Dec 08, 2015
with good business spirit the right thing was done. however, as a nation with the deadline we have made the world know we are in a recession and that money would pave our budget bill and i am not sure mtn has that kind of money lying around.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by raayah(f): 8:50pm On Dec 08, 2015
I am curious what will happen if MTN refuses to pay, will they be forced to shutdown? ( I'm looking forward to this)

Also wondering where these billions of Naira will be going to!? The fine is enough to balance Nigerians budget deficit right now.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by asEdeyHOT: 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
A good government making sure that businesses stick to the rules

No more business as usual policies. Time to build the nation.

MTN should learn their lesson and move on. They cannot try half of the things they do here in SA or Egypt not to talk of Europe.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by sirTesco(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
MTN go still gather all our money to pay una. Everywhere you go

3 Likes

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Benjom(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
Atleast they've learnt a big lesson.
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by mascot87(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
If them born any waffi boy or girl make him try me say Warri no dey carry last. Them go hear am angry
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Demmocrats(m): 8:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
Thats good news
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by aywhy93(m): 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2015
Hmmmnnn, Does it even concern me? So far you guys no block my SIM. tongue Let's even rip them more.

MTN 5GB Simple Android Server now working again. Here's how to fix yours!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by PoosPoos: 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2015
Yeye fowls
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by edlion57(m): 8:52pm On Dec 08, 2015
If na south Africa be nigeria will der do d same.....we still hv a very looooong way to go
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by canalily(m): 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2015
So why did they block my line then? U better unblock it or else....
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by sapientia1(m): 8:53pm On Dec 08, 2015
They'll still rip off innocent citizens off no matter what. A situation whereby a customer is automatically subscribed to plans he/she doesn't want.
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Suresir: 8:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
am not happy with the conclusion. .
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
Check my signature
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Meriekriss: 8:54pm On Dec 08, 2015
I knew they would reduce it.

Check my signature for your total interior decoration solutions..
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by swizken89: 8:55pm On Dec 08, 2015
check my signature
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Viktor1983(m): 8:55pm On Dec 08, 2015
Tor Shikena
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Hemanwel(m): 8:55pm On Dec 08, 2015
Why wouldn't you reduce it?I mean why would NCC fine a private company a sum high enough to make another country's annual budget??If MTN Nigeria had paid that N1.04tr,what would have become of its over 2000 Nigerian staff??What would have been left of the company??Would NCC use the money to create jobs for the over 2000 staff that would be thrown into the labor market?Or they would share it among themselves? And some Nigerian youths are cool with this??
This country sef...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by flokii: 8:57pm On Dec 08, 2015
pardon them joor...

afterall dem neva sack Nigerians... unlike virgin atlantic and co. that were not fined atal

1 Like

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by menix(m): 8:57pm On Dec 08, 2015
MTN matter again, mtcheew..

Shebi they ve sent vulture to ignite Nitel Tower so that they don't loss customers to competition soon, so that they can afford to pay the fine..

Tony Ojobo my Eyes re on all ur Bank accounts incase of incasity..

MTN Uwa Mmebi connection...
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Sharp9: 8:58pm On Dec 08, 2015
just tell MTN to pay us(youths) that #5000 from this fine. b4 one politician go steal am.

1 Like

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Theophrastus(m): 8:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
UyiIredia:

Let them use the fine to buy ammunition for Nigeria Army... grin
UyiIredia:

Let them use the fine to buy ammunition for Nigeria Army...
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by EbuGeneral(m): 9:06pm On Dec 08, 2015
APC sef, everything is inconclusive.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by habiham: 9:07pm On Dec 08, 2015
I'm very sure mtn will just deduct any how now on calling just in order to pay there dept ... End time network
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 08, 2015
Good
Re: Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC by marlockj: 9:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
slimgold123:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/why-we-reduced-mtns-n1-04trn-fine-ncc/

Why cnt this idiooots Jst pay,so that we cn focus on fining another company.

Their delay is too much.

Let them pay jare. What is holding them

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Cool Phone Can I Get For N35,000? / How To Unlock MTN Mobile Huawei Phone ?? Input NP Code / #happeningnow: The Official Launch Of The Iphone X In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.