Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine (34319 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7Billion Fine / Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by wachakuta(m): 10:15pm On Nov 01, 2015
By Emeka Aginam
While pleading for staggered payment model, MTN has finally bowed to pressure as it has accepted to pay the N1.04 trillion fine slammed on it last week by the telecoms regulatory authority, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

Accordingly, the telecoms operator was fine for violating its directive on SIM deactivation.

This follows series of meeting held between MTN management team from South Africa and Nigeria with the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

The telecoms operator which has largest subscriber base in Nigeria, it was gathered, may have agreed to pay the fine to sustain the interest of its telecoms business.

Industry sources who confirmed the new arrangement, disclosed that the federal government is already yielding to the plea, which according to him, was part of the agreement reached at the series of meeting held at the weekend in Nigeria.

“There have been series of meeting at the Presidency between the Vice President Osinbajo and MTN team both from South Africa and the Nigerian arm. MTN wanted a waiver considering their level of investments in the country, but government did not buy the idea of waiver. Instead, I think there will be concession, but certainly not a waiver. At the conclusion of the meeting, the MTN people negotiated on how to stagger the payment. The Presidency is even angry because MTN was a signatory to the regulation, but they are failing to comply with rules.”, the source added.

It would be recalled that NCC had said that MTN would not escape the fine, owing to the enormity of its implication to national security.

Although NCC had hinted that the issue is being handled by the federal government, the telecoms authority also noted that MTN would risk withdrawal of its licence if its fails to comply with the fine.

Even with the widespread calls for the intervention of the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), on the N1.04 trillion fine, Chief Femi Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), had last week called on the NSA not to intervene in the matter, adding that NCC regulation must take its course.

NCC said it had consistently engaged Mobile Network Operators, (MNOs) to strictly adhere to the regulations and its business rules in the registration of their subscribers.

Following several engagements, the Commission had confirmed various cases of violations of the regulations and sanctioned appropriately.

MTN bows to pressure, agrees to pay N1.04trn fine - Vanguard News
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/mtn-bows-to-pressure-agrees-to-pay-n1-04trn-fine/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

7 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by wachakuta(m): 10:16pm On Nov 01, 2015
Hu is still doubting dat we have a new sheriff in town?

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2015
just close ur eyes and imagine this was Jonathan's era:

NCC: like I was saying Mr. President, what Mtn did poses danger to our national security. preregistered sim can be used by kidnappers, fraudsters and...

MTN: Mr. President, talk to NCC na!

NCC: (Stands up angrily and points to MTN) don't think u can escape this! the president is on our side and...

JONA: (clears throat)..I am on the side of everybody, okay?

NCC: (surprised) including boko haram?

JONA: Including Asari and Tompolo sef. oh..yes! because I am the president of everybody so let us talk this thing amicably.

NCC: But...

JONA: but nothing. okay? First of all...

MTN: (interjects) go down low

NCC: what?

JONA: MTN, mind yourself. Now, first of all, I want you to hand me the case file of this..

NCC: but Sir...

MTN: (snatches file and gives to JONA).

NCC: What insolent!!!

JONA: listen, NCC, u don dey vex me sef. shey, na u be president abi na me? so, if MTN no snatch the thing commit for ur hand u go refuse abi?
okayyyy...(frowns) now I understand. You dnt even respect me anymore. I...

NCC: I am very...

MTN: shut up my friend! the president is talking!

JONA: go! I will call u later. go now!!!

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

JONA: (turns to MTN): So?

MTN: we will transfer it tomorrow morning Sir (smiling). Just as we agreed on.

JONA: I trust u. I trust u. And em...the subscribers that NCC dey shout abt now, na how many?

MTN: don't mind NCC, na just 5million o.

JONA: Jesus!!! Just 5million out of 180million Nigerians na ihn dem wan make u pay that amount?

MTN: ohoo...u sef see...

JONA: Dey go abeg. Just make sure say na alert wake me tomorrow or else..

MTN: no worry Sir. u knw us na..

JONA: I knw everybody. Oya, dey go.

MTN walks out. JONA pick ihn phone call diezani..

JONA: hello ma...hello...(shakes phone) this network sef...hello ma..oh..yea ma, it's me.....thank u...(smiles). Em...I just wan ask why I no see alert yesterday? shebi una don pay subsidy to marketers....

425 Likes 53 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by bigtt76(f): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2015
Subscribers in for trouble shaaaaaaa #aftermath

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by asha80(m): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2015
This fine go shake mtn

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by kurupt1: 10:24pm On Nov 01, 2015
This one mtn don gree.......make mtn subscribers watch out ooo cos 200 naira airtime na 2minute calls you go make ur airtime go enter 0.45naira

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by egift(m): 10:26pm On Nov 01, 2015
Buhari is in charge, if you flout our laws, be ready to bear the consequences. Left for me, they will pay more. Man-know-man is no longer the way of doing things.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Emekamex(m): 10:27pm On Nov 01, 2015
Cool cash; they shouldn't shift their anger to customers o.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by bigass123(m): 10:29pm On Nov 01, 2015
Na pay as you go things... grin
Empty N is sooooo rich, I wonder if any company in south Africa is making half of what Mtn is making in Nigeria monthly. Even if the fine is 3trn..Mtn will pay, they can't afford to leave Nigeria.. Any threat of such from them is an empty threat. Quote me in Pretoria

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by seunmsg(m): 10:30pm On Nov 01, 2015
bigtt76:
Subscribers in for trouble shaaaaaaa #aftermath

Subscribers are not in any trouble. In fact, subscribers are in for a good time and they should start rejoicing. The era where Mobile telecom operators take their customers for granted is over. NCC is now alive to its regulatory responsibilities and any operator that refuses to play by the rules will be in big trouble. The huge fine imposed on MTN will send a clear message to others to seat up. A new sheriff is in town and it's no longer business as usual.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Idrismusty97(m): 10:31pm On Nov 01, 2015
Dammit! They aren't going out of business? Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! I thought they said they would leave Nigeria? I have never wished any company downfall like i wish for MTN cheesy. MTN subscribers would pay for this, directly and indirectly.

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by redsconsult(m): 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2015
now every one will be very careful because of our new sheriff

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by yhemsy62(m): 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2015
New mtn call tariff: onnet call 20 kb/sec, offnet 40kb/sec. Data bundle, you subscribe for one month but to ur greatest surprise u notice dat after one week ur data is almost finished. Mtn users be ready to pay back dis fine directly or indirectly. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by dustmalik: 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2015
You guys have no idea how much MTN makes, hence why some ill-informed people were defending them

18 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by bettercreature(m): 10:33pm On Nov 01, 2015
I don't think they can afford the money
PMB should build some MEGAWATTS out this money ooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Realdeals(m): 10:34pm On Nov 01, 2015
They can't afford to lose Nigeria market

4 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Hope15: 10:35pm On Nov 01, 2015
Maga go pay!

2 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by bettercreature(m): 10:35pm On Nov 01, 2015
Emekamex:
Cool cash; they shouldn't shift their anger to customers o.
You mean customers who has several alternatives?

4 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by kokoA(m): 10:35pm On Nov 01, 2015
A quarter of our 2016 budget don sure already.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by razid: 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2015
At least the government said they need $25billion for infrastructure. They have gotten a cool $5billion without sweating. If to say we fit get that $20billion wey Sanusi say e dey miss, the money for just complete gbam.
We no want hear any story o.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 01, 2015
Done. Remaining Asian companies operating in the country

9 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Buzzj17: 11:01pm On Nov 01, 2015
Good day gentlemen. Please has anyone noticed that MTN has been taking money from our loaded balances? It happened to me and I will follow it up. I loaded N5000 on my phone. I made one phone call of about minutes to a local number. I slept and woke up and when I opened my bed side drawers, I found an loaded card which I forgot some time ago. Before loading it, I checked my balance and I had only 7350 credit. I have heard people complain about these illegal debits. Pls let's raise our voice and something about this. Few people check their balances and MTN will get away with this. They are doing this in order to pay for the penalty.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by asha80(m): 11:11pm On Nov 01, 2015
Buzzj17:
Good day gentlemen. Please has anyone noticed that MTN has been taking money from our loaded balances? It happened to me and I will follow it up. I loaded N5000 on my phone. I made one phone call of about minutes to a local number. I slept and woke up and when I opened my bed side drawers, I found an loaded card which I forgot some time ago. Before loading it, I checked my balance and I had only 7350 credit. I have heard people complain about these illegal debits. Pls let's raise our voice and something about this. Few people check their balances and MTN will get away with this. They are doing this in order to pay for the penalty.
check your numbers..they dont add up..7350>5000
You can always port to Etisalat or airtel

16 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Kyase(m): 11:16pm On Nov 01, 2015
wachakuta:
Hu is still doubting dat we have a new sheriff in town?
Flat heads association of Nigeria. (the bad one though)

5 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by chinchum(m): 11:19pm On Nov 01, 2015
that is like 3 months allocation for FG +SG +Local government

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 01, 2015
That's almost half of our annual budget fa cheesy
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by PRYCE(m): 11:42pm On Nov 01, 2015
MTN are tending towards liquidation!
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:49pm On Nov 01, 2015
PRYCE:
MTN are tending towards liquidation!
The news is more of speculation. MTN can't afford that kind of money. Except there will be some kind of waivers, a suspended payment or spread payment. Otherwise, the company CAN'T afford it. We also can't afford to have their license suspended.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by ewizard1: 12:29am On Nov 02, 2015
Imagine after paying the 1.4trillion. Other network operators reduce their Call/Text/Data charges. Make like Half of MTN subscribers port enter the rest.
Then they'll realize "Sh!t just got real" grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 3:07am On Nov 02, 2015
..The only thing that will make most nigerians happy is to see the mighty fall of this network i don't care if i loose my line when they are done with paying.

They took ma NGN150 way i jst dey manage on saturday for no good reason.Don't feel sorry for them cos they've been scamming nigerians since 1960.

let them start paying up.When people complain ov this network in the phones forum i'll be wondering why they h8 them so much.

i dont even care if NCC steals the 1.4 trn,which dey will definitely do tho.

8 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by zomoears(m): 3:24am On Nov 02, 2015
The fine is N200,000 multiplied by over 5million breaching lines...hope they now understand the meaning of the phrase "new sheriff in town".

The next directive NCC gives, MTN will be the first to comply.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by acenazt: 3:28am On Nov 02, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
just close ur eyes and imagine this was Jonathan's era:

NCC: like I was saying Mr. President, what Mtn did poses danger to our national security. preregistered sim can be used by kidnappers, fraudsters and...

MTN: Mr. President, talk to NCC na!

NCC: (Stands up angrily and points to MTN) don't think u can escape this! the president is on our side and...

JONA: (clears throat)..I am on the side of everybody, okay?

NCC: (surprised) including boko haram?

JONA: Including Asari and Tompolo sef. oh..yes! because I am the president of everybody so let us talk this thing amicably.

NCC: But...

JONA: but nothing. okay? First of all...

MTN: (interjects) go down low

NCC: what?

JONA: MTN, mind yourself. Now, first of all, I want you to hand me the case file of this..

NCC: but Sir...

MTN: (snatches file and gives to JONA).

NCC: What insolent!!!

JONA: listen, NCC, u don dey vex me sef. shey, na u be president abi na me? so, if MTN no snatch the thing commit for ur hand u go refuse abi?
okayyyy...(frowns) now I understand. You dnt even respect me anymore. I...

NCC: I am very...

MTN: shut up my friend! the president is talking!

JONA: go! I will call u later. go now!!!

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

JONA: (turns to MTN): So?

MTN: we will transfer it tomorrow morning Sir (smiling). Just as we agreed on.

JONA: I trust u. I trust u. And em...the subscribers that NCC dey shout abt now, na how many?

MTN: don't mind NCC, na just 5million o.

JONA: Jesus!!! Just 5million out of 180million Nigerians na ihn dem wan make u pay that amount?

MTN: ohoo...u sef see...

JONA: Dey go abeg. Just make sure say na alert wake me tomorrow or else..

MTN: no worry Sir. u knw us na..

JONA: I knw everybody. Oya, dey go.

MTN walks out. JONA pick ihn phone call diezani..

JONA: hello ma...hello...(shakes phone) this network sef...hello ma..oh..yea ma, it's me.....thank u...(smiles). Em...I just wan ask why I no see alert yesterday? shebi una don pay subsidy to marketers....

hahhhahahhhahahha guy You suppose dey work with Area!!

23 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Huawei Gives Free Powerbank To People Queuing For IPhones / How Do I Fix Terribly Slow Glo Internet Connection / Infinix Hot 3 Launched In Nigeria But I Think We Are Being Cheated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.