Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,763 members, 7,851,603 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:18 AM

Holy Communion - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Communion (5116 Views)

He Took Holy Communion And Had Sex After Church, Any Repercusion? / New Way Of Receiving Holy Communion Due To Ebola Virus / On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Holy Communion by ajokeakin: 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2009
KunleOshob:

I don't agree with you that beer is bitter, you actually need to develop a taste for it. As for me i make it a point of duty to have a few bottles of beer every day after work in the company of friends. I consider myself a social drinker just as Jesus christ was.
haaaa kunle,blasphemy!!!pls quote were Jesus was always drinking beer
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 9:11pm On Jun 19, 2009
Kunle,its like someone is waiting for your response here.
Re: Holy Communion by sosisi(f): 10:59pm On Jun 19, 2009
KunleOshob:

I don't agree with you that beer is bitter, you actually need to develop a taste for it. As for me i make it a point of duty to have a few bottles of beer every day after work in the company of friends. I consider myself a social drinker just as Jesus christ was.

This is our so called Christian brother o
wind don blow well well
we don see say fada dey wear G strings
Re: Holy Communion by debosky(m): 11:10pm On Jun 19, 2009
$osisi:

This is our so called Christian brother o
wind don blow well well
we don see say fada dey wear G strings
What is wrong with wearing G string? Abi no be pata?
Re: Holy Communion by Tudor6(f): 12:41am On Jun 20, 2009
Kunle,So jesus was a drunkard!. . . . .it all makes sense now. . . shocked
Re: Holy Communion by Nobody: 1:36am On Jun 20, 2009
hmm, undecided strange one, but i guess it's all down to the interpretation of the symbol of Holy communion.
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 8:38am On Jun 20, 2009
Ha,there is problem here
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 11:21am On Jun 22, 2009
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and “sinners.”’ But wisdom is proved right by her actions.”
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2009
ajokeakin:

haaaa kunle,blasphemy!!!pls quote were Jesus was always drinking beer

Jesus used to consume alcohol it is on record that he regularly took wine [which even has more alcohol in it than beer] in the bible and hypocrites like you and the pastors deceiving you condenmed him for doing so.

Matthew 11:18-19:

18 For John didn’t spend his time eating and drinking, and you say, ‘He’s possessed by a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’ But wisdom is shown to be right by its results.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luke 7:33-34:
33 For John the Baptist didn’t spend his time eating bread or drinking wine, and you say, ‘He’s possessed by a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’
Re: Holy Communion by Lady2(f): 9:42am On Jul 06, 2009
To understand the concept of Holy Communion you have to see it in the light of the Passover Feast.

Every Passover the Israelites commeMORATE the Salvation of God in Egypt when the first borns were spared from

the angel of Death. In the Passover Feast a pure lamb is killed,its blood paste on the doorway of the Israelites,

its meat of cooked and shared amongst the residents of the house. Now we all know that Jesus is an Israelite and

so are the disciples. Jesus was celebrating this same Passover Feast with his disciples just their fellow Jews were

doing on that same day, Jesus is saying he is the New Lamb. That everytime they celebrate the Passover feast

they should remember He has sacrificed His life and body for their salvation from the Angel of Death.

(groundnut and water have nothing to with the story of the Passover feast)

I just have to go out on a limb, and ask. Are you Catholic? Bcus to me it would be amazing to see a non-catholic finally understand the Lord's Supper the way it should be understood. In light of the Jewish passover feast as the sacrificial lamb is fulfilled in Christ. Remember Christ came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. The practices weren't to go away, it was to have meaning to it, and not be a mere ritual. Everything in the Old Testament is a foreshadowing of the New Testament. Everything in the New Testament is a revelation of the Old Testament.
Re: Holy Communion by Lady2(f): 10:16am On Jul 06, 2009
I like this.  Could you tell us more.   I know the Jewish had lots of feast that they celebrated.  Why the Passover and not any of the others?

What does the statement 'do this as often as you drink it' mean.  That we should bless every meal that we eat? 

I hope you don't mind if I dive into this.

As I stated above Christ's sacrifice is a fulfilment of the sacrifice of the lamb (paschal lamb). During passover the atoning sacrifice is slaughtered and eaten by all Jews.
I think there was a conversation we both had where we were arguing about the body and blood of christ being the actual body and blood of Christ.

The very first passover feast was held in Egypt when the Lord commanded that each Jewish house slaughter a lamb and paint the blood on their doorpost to keep the angel of death from entering. He commanded them to eat the lamb and commemorate it or do it in remembrance.
So every year after that a paschal lamb was slaughtered and eaten.

This takes us to the Lord's supper where we see the true sacrificial lamb being eaten. Viewing this in light of the Old Testament, we then know that the actual body of christ is to be eaten if he is to be the sacrificial lamb.
The sacrificial lamb was ALWAYS physically, literarilly (not symbolically) eaten.

Other than that God is always consistent. All his laws were fulfilled and they were fulfilled the exact same way they were done in the Old Testament.
So we see the parallels.

The sacrificial lamb is sacrificed during the passover. Jesus is sacrificed during the passover.
The sacrificial lamb is physically eaten. Jesus gives us his body to eat.
The sacrifical lamb is done in commemoration of the Jewish exodus. The eucharist is done in commemoration of Christ's sacrifice on the cross
It really is very rich and very deep in meaning. The New Testament can only be understood in light of the Old Testament. If one carefully looks at the Old Testament and New Testament one finds what Christ truly meant by the law not being abolished but actually being fulfilled.
The people and things in the Old Testament prefigure the people and things in the New Testament.

Just to touch on some.

Adam prefigures Jesus
The tree in the Garden of Eden prefigures the Cross
The Word of God on a tablet prefigures the Word of God in person
the 12 tribes of Israel prefigures the 12 disciples
Aaron prefirgures Jesus as Priest (the levitical High Priest and the true High Priest)
David prefigures Jesus as King (both were annointed)
circumcision prefigures baptism
noah's ark prefigures baptism

there's so much more really
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 1:19pm On Jul 06, 2009
Hmmm
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2009
~Lady~:

Adam prefigures Jesus
The tree in the Garden of Eden prefigures the Cross
The Word of God on a tablet prefigures the Word of God in person
the 12 tribes of Israel prefigures the 12 disciples
Aaron prefirgures Jesus as Priest (the levitical High Priest and the true High Priest)
David prefigures Jesus as King (both were annointed)
circumcision prefigures baptism
noah's ark prefigures baptism

there's so much more really

Typical example of working to a preconceived answer aka wuruwuru to the answer cool
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 1:59pm On Jul 06, 2009
My brother kunle, you are in the spirit.
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 2:14pm On Jul 06, 2009
Lamb was eaten in the passover

but jesus gave his disciples Bread

Okay, they ate unleaven bread too but what happened to the lamb.

Also was wine an essential part of the passover feast.
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 9:39pm On Jul 06, 2009
Pastor are you asking a question?
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 10:02pm On Jul 06, 2009
yeah, I am. Sorry for the lack of punctuation.
Re: Holy Communion by Krayola(m): 11:22pm On Jul 06, 2009
@ pastor. Check this out. This might answer some of ur questions. Its a book review, but it explains quite a bit. It'll also give u an idea about how Hebrew Scripture and the Gospels are composed.
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 9:24am On Jul 07, 2009
Krayola:

@ pastor. Check this out. This might answer some of ur questions. Its a book review, but it explains quite a bit. It'll also give u an idea about how Hebrew Scripture and the Gospels are composed.

Rewind selecta, come again.

you didn't post the link.
Re: Holy Communion by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:01pm On Jul 07, 2009
I think I read somewhere about Jesus being a glutton and a drunkard, was it the Jesus seminar or so, cannot really remember.
Re: Holy Communion by Tudor6(f): 12:07pm On Jul 07, 2009
See the way they're all fighting over how to eat the flesh and drink the blood of jesus. . . Is that not glorified cannibalism? ??
Re: Holy Communion by Krayola(m): 1:31pm On Jul 07, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Rewind selecta, come again.

you didn't post the link.

haha. . my bad

http://jesusandhisdeath..com/
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 4:01pm On Jul 07, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

I think I read somewhere about Jesus being a glutton and a drunkard, was it the Jesus seminar or so, cannot really remember.

You are quoting what you read out of context, if i remember well i posted the topic in that verse Jesus said Hypocrites like the pharisees[and the preachers we have today] accused him of being a glutton and drunkard just because he used to eat and drink with tax collectors who the pharisees considered as sinners. The verse did not say jesus was a drunkard or a glutton as you stated above. For verification you can confirm in Luke 7:33-34
Re: Holy Communion by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:08pm On Jul 07, 2009
Em Kunle there is a reason I did not quote you, so your conclusion na wa.
I did not say in the bible I believe I mentioned the Jesus seminar
Re: Holy Communion by KunleOshob(m): 4:17pm On Jul 07, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Em Kunle there is a reason I did not quote you, so your conclusion na wa.
I did not say in the bible I believe I mentioned the Jesus seminar

Well you gave an impression you weren't sure were you read it and since i had posted the same issue earlier on this forum i assumed you read it fom my post hence my attempt to correct the errornous impression
Re: Holy Communion by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:38pm On Jul 07, 2009
Ok issue cleared up now.
Cheers.
Re: Holy Communion by segyemaro(m): 9:41pm On Jul 07, 2009
Shikena!
Re: Holy Communion by Lady2(f): 5:13am On Jul 11, 2009
KunleOshob:

Typical example of working to a preconceived answer aka wuruwuru to the answer cool

I don't quite understand ur point. Could u logically debunk my statement please?
Re: Holy Communion by Lady2(f): 5:15am On Jul 11, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Lamb was eaten in the passover

but jesus gave his disciples Bread

Okay, they ate unleaven bread too but what happened to the lamb.

Also was wine an essential part of the passover feast.

Lamb was eaten at the supper.
Jesus gave his disciples his body in the form of bread. That is why he said "THIS IS MY BODY"
If it was rather just bread he could have said "THIS IS BREAD"
But he didn't say bread, he said BODY!

Wine was an essential part of the passover feast, however I am not quite sure how. I'd have to ask my Jewish friends.
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 11:58am On Jul 11, 2009
Yeah but I've never had lamb at Eucharist before. Have you?
Re: Holy Communion by Lady2(f): 6:47am On Jul 12, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Yeah but I've never had lamb at Eucharist before. Have you?

I don't understand you. Why would I have lamb when lamb isn't the Holy Sacrifice?
Christ is the Holy Sacrifice, and because he is the eternal sacrifice and because he did not abolish the law of sacrifices or else he wouldn't have been a sacrifice himself, he fulfilled the law on sacrifices by providing his own flesh and blood. And just as the sacrifices was commemorated by the Jews as God commanded them to, so are we to commemorate the sacrifice of Christ on the cross, but this time it is perpetual because Christ is eternal and never ending. And just as the Jews were commanded to consume the sacrifice so are we commanded to consume the Body and Blood of Christ. Hence him telling us that we are commemorating his sacrifice on the cross.
Re: Holy Communion by PastorAIO: 3:41pm On Jul 12, 2009
~Lady~:

I don't understand you. Why would I have lamb when lamb isn't the Holy Sacrifice?

But lamb was the passover sacrifice and you say that the eucharist is to be understood as a fulfillment of Passover.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Did God Really Die For You? / “I Am Sleeping With My Boss!” – KICC Bishop Bismark / The Moral Dilemma That Makes Atheism Unwise And Potentially Dangerous.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.