Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,472 members, 7,854,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 10:12 AM

Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? - Religion (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (39228 Views)

Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? / Born Gay? It's Not Your Fault / Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by C2H5OH(f): 4:06am On Sep 06, 2009
I know, right? Well said trek
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by chic2pimp(m): 4:15am On Sep 06, 2009
C2H5OH:

I know, right? Well said trek
HOMOPHOBIA! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by C2H5OH(f): 4:18am On Sep 06, 2009
Laughing My Ass Off, Pissing In My Pata

I'm not a homophobe. I just don't like queers. That's all.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by bawomolo(m): 6:24am On Sep 06, 2009
would you date a bi chick?

and don't lie sucker.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by C2H5OH(f): 9:08am On Sep 06, 2009
That's a funny question really.

Maybe on accident if she lies about it or doesn't let me know to begin with, sure.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by trekkie: 4:03am On Sep 08, 2009
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 5:14pm On Sep 08, 2009
bawomolo:

would you date a bi chick?and don't lie sucker.

Man, you're funny. grin

@trekkie
Is sexual orientation acquired or inherent?I don't know much about it. But I don't see why every response to issues must be religious and nothing else, people decreeing "The bible says," and adding nothing else, no objections outside and apart from that. And comparing being gay to child molesting; I don't get that?    It's not the same thing at all.A child molester has sex with a child, a non-adult who doesn't have the power of consent. That's why child molesters go to prison for their crime and gays do not. There are straights, gays and bisexuals; any category may molest a child. There are necrophiles, those who're only aroused by a corpse, there are those who're only turned on by being shat on; however deviant, they're ALL either straight, gay or bi. You talk as if you're sure homosexuality is a choice, and heterosexuality is a choice. How do you know they are? Did you choose to be straight? When?
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by ebumowa(f): 6:51pm On Sep 08, 2009
Do I believe I was born gay? Yes but I can't prove it; all I know is that as I grew older and became aware of my sexuality, I have always been attracted to females.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 8:22pm On Sep 08, 2009
You're gay? In what country? Do you have any religious beliefs? How do you reconcile both?
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by trekkie: 4:01am On Sep 09, 2009
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by ebumowa(f): 4:24am On Sep 09, 2009
@mad_max
Yes, I am gay. Raised in Nigeria and lived there for 17 years before coming to the United States (I knew I was gay in Nigeria). I am a Christian, and coming to terms with my sexuality wasn't easy or quick. After years of near self-hate, I believe if God wanted to be 'straight', he would have made me 'straight'.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by trekkie: 4:37am On Sep 09, 2009
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by ebumowa(f): 5:56am On Sep 09, 2009
@trekkie
Lol, you really don't know anything about gay relationships, how many gay couples do you know? I am in a relationship, and none of us behaves like a man.

As for necrophilia, consent plays in big rule in sex. Homosexual sex is between two (or more) consenting adults, so bringing necrophilia into this argument is senseless.

Are you telling me you choose to be straight because you told a guy that came on to you, no way? What were you before then?

I don't put a label on my Christian faith, but I am not a nominal Christian.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 10:20am On Sep 09, 2009
Trekkie, I mentioned necrophilia in the same breath as child molesting to indicate people can be deviant and still fall within the gay, straight or bi category. People go to jail for stuff like that, where sex in nonconsensual or traumatises another. You can't lump being gay in the group; it'll be like putting being straight there as well. Lol you didn't choose to be straight when you turned down someone's advances! You turned it down cos your sexual orientations didn't match. I truly don't understand it. I have gay friends and none of them were abused. One says he actually tried going out with girls, forcing himself to be attracted, but it didn't work. It's the same as a straight person forcing himself to be gay to conform to preconceived ideas on what his sexual orientation should be. The bible condemns it. I want to know WHY it's wrong. I don't think there's a gay gene, but it hasn' t been proven to be a choice either. If a child is brutally raped and grows to develop psychosexual problems and can't bear to have men touch her, but prefers a woman's non-threatening advances, would you say that person has 'chosen' to be gay? It isn't a typical example; most gay people found themselves gay just as we found ourselves straight. If sexual orientation is determined to be inherent at the end of the day, if gay people were 'created' that way, as we smugly assume straight people are, how would you come to terms with the bible's condemnation of it?

@ebumowa
I have a perv of a friend who finds gay women 'hot' lol. Unlike me, he has no religious constraints.I'm sorry if this seems intrusive, but have you ever been attracted to a man AT ALL? During you ever try dating 'straight' guys, you know, during those self-hating years?
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by manmustwac(m): 10:30am On Sep 09, 2009
ebumowa:

Do I believe I was born gay? Yes but I can't prove it; all I know is that as I grew older and became aware of my sexuality, I have always been attracted to females.
You can be born male born female born with sickle cell HIV cerebal palsy etc but how do u know u were born gay? You were not born gay, being gay is just a state of mind.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 10:49am On Sep 09, 2009
manmustwac:

You can be born male born female born with sickle cell HIV cerebal palsy etc but how do u know u were born gay?You were not born gay, being gay is just a state of mind.

Interesting theory, Dr  Freud. Can you prove it? A gay state of mind. So one can change one's mind then? Because, naturally, being straight would have to be a state of mind as well. Which means I can go shopping? Decide to be gay today, straight tomorrow?[quote][/quote]
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by JeSoul(f): 2:45pm On Sep 09, 2009
Well done guys, I have been following the discussion behind the scenes.

At this point I thought I would pop in especially because of Ebumowa. Your story is not uncommon & I wanted to share this with you. It's the story of an acquaintance of mine who was gay for over 10 years, her story is powerful! please do me the incredible favor taking a few minutes to listen to it.

http://thecfrn.com/osnap/about.html  Powerful powerful! please listen to it!  (under the "Intresting Stuff" section, click on the "My testimony" play button)

http://theyuinon.com/articles/gay2.htm  also here are some more stories of previously gay christians telling their equally incredible stories.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by africhika(f): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2009
i don't think people are born gay. but if science proves that this is possible, then i think it's a genetic defect. something is wrong.
i don't mean to sound, backwards, but that's just it.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by ebumowa(f): 6:09pm On Sep 09, 2009
@manmustwac:
If being gay is a state of mind, then being straight is a state of mind. So I guess people can have different states of mind.

@africhika:
Genetic defect, so you are saying being gay is the 'genes'. Nobody has found the 'straight gene' not to talk of the 'gay gene', so I am not buying that.

@mad_max:
Your perv friend is funny, I know many straight guys that tell me how beautiful and pure lesbian sex is and how they would like to 'participate' :-).

I have never been attracted physically or sexually to a guy but I have dated guys, those were train wrecks. I knew I was gay pretty early and spent years trying to 'normalize' myself.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2009
Mad_Max:

Interesting theory, Dr  Freud. Can you prove it? A gay state of mind. So one can change one's mind then? Because, naturally, being straight would have to be a state of mind as well. Which means I can go shopping? Decide to be gay today, straight tomorrow?

The onus is on you to prove it is natural.

Try and prove based on the criteria in my link:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=279591.msg3990475#msg3990475
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by C2H5OH(f): 6:01am On Sep 10, 2009
Interesting theory indeed. Of course there have been moer than a handful of people who have at some point in their lives chosen to be gay but later decided go back to being straight again.

Google
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 10:53am On Sep 10, 2009
Sagamite:

The onus is on you to prove it is natural.
Try and prove based on the criteria in my http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=279591.msg3990475#msg3990475

I've been asking questions, not making assertions. If you put a theory forward and say, "It's in the mind" you're supposed to support that theory with some evidence. Saying the burden of proof for someone else's theory is on me is absurd naw.

ebumowa:

@mad_max:
Your perv friend is funny, I know many straight guys that tell me how beautiful and pure lesbian sex is and how they would like to 'participate' :-).

Lol. Perverts. You're a Christian though. And there's the injunction for couples to marry before they have sex. Do you think you're bound by this, like everyone else? Or do you think you're exempt? If you do, why?
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 10:56am On Sep 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

I've been asking questions, not making assertions. If you put a theory forward and say, "It's in the mind" you're supposed to support that theory with some evidence. Saying the burden of proof for someone else's theory is on me is absurd naw.

Good point, I agree!
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2009
africhika:

i don't think people are born gay. but if science proves that this is possible, then i think it's a genetic defect. something is wrong.
i don't mean to sound, backwards, but that's just it.

You don't sound backward and never feel you sound backward because you asked to be given proof.

Don't let anyone or any society brainwash you that you are not progressive/open-minded/liberal/loving/tolerant if you do not accept or you question homosexuality.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 2:08pm On Sep 10, 2009
Frankly what two consensual adults do is their business and no one else's. Is our sexuality inherent or learned? No one has been able to say. If it isn't understood what leg does anyone have to stand on and judge? It makes no sense.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

Frankly what two consensual adults do is their business and no one else's. Is our sexuality inherent or learned? No one has been able to say. If it isn't understood what leg does anyone have to stand on and judge? It makes no sense.

If that was the case, then incest should not be a crime. Neither should polygamy. But the advocates of homosexuality seems to outlaw these and have jail terms for it.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 7:45pm On Sep 10, 2009
Again, the tired reiteration that while some deviant behavior are considered crimes, rape, child molestation, incest, necrophilia, and the rest, one's sexual orientation isn't a crime. All of them still fall under gay, straight or bi. A gay molester will go for children of the same sex, a straight one for the opposite sex;A gay necrophile wants a dead man, a straight one wants a dead woman; gay or straight they'd still be thrown in jail. An adult gay couple, on the other, cannot be jailed, can they? Being gay isn't considered a crime any more than being straight is. I'm not advocating the gay lifestyle. But one should know whether human sexuality is innate or acquired before forming opinions on the matter.
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 8:42pm On Sep 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

Again, the tired reiteration that while some deviant behavior are considered crimes, rape, child molestation, incest, necrophilia, and the rest, one's sexual orientation isn't a crime. All of them still fall under gay, straight or bi. A gay molester will go for children of the same sex, a straight one for the opposite sex;A gay necrophile wants a dead man, a straight one wants a dead woman; gay or straight they'd still be thrown in jail. An adult gay couple, on the other, cannot be jailed, can they? Being gay isn't considered a crime any more than being straight is. I'm not advocating the gay lifestyle. But one should know whether human sexuality is innate or acquired before forming opinions on the matter.

Tired?? . . . . .No, it's not!

Your assertion, I reiterate is:"Frankly what two consensual adults do is their business and no one else's"

If that is your criteria for accepting and/or advocating the acceptance of homosexuality then surely incest between two mature and consenting adults should not be illegal, and neither should polygamy.

We should also say it is their business, shouldn't we?

And by the way, what is sexual orientation in the context you are using it?
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by C2H5OH(f): 9:14pm On Sep 10, 2009
LMAO of course what two consenting adults do behind closed doors is our business.
In your context, even life ending foul play between two consenting adults wouldn't be any of our business either; neither would polygamy and incest. According to the law (U.S. Law at least) those are illegal, aren't they?
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by MadMax1(f): 11:31pm On Sep 10, 2009
Round and round in circles it goes,
Where it stops nobody knows
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 2:57am On Sep 11, 2009
Mad_Max:

Round and round in circles it goes,
Where it stops nobody knows

undecided
Re: Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? by Sagamite(m): 3:06am On Sep 11, 2009
When people use terms like "sexual orientation", it subconsciously connotate naturality. Something you are born with.

If that is the case, then paedophiles can also claim their deviancy is an orientation.

I try and restrict arguments like this to "sexual preference", which is a better reflection of the reality.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (39) (Reply)

Muslims Have A Right To Islamise Nigeria - Emmanuel Adetoyese Badejo / Chris Okotie: Social Distancing In Church Is Like Blasphemous Infidelity / Daddy Freeze, Crazeclown: Doctor Saves Life In Theatre You Take Gifts To Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.