Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,853 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? (5837 Views)

'my Husband Is Stingy, He Goes To Market To Buy Foodstuff' - Wife Tells Court / How Do I Cope With A Rich But Very Stingy Dad? / Woman Blames PMS For Beating-up Her Husband In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by heritage00(m): 11:22pm On Jun 03, 2009
Why Nigerians in the UK hardly give out there money when they visit home, Now don't get me wrong i am not saying they are father Christmas but compare them to other Nigerians in other western countries,most people complain most about the ones in UK,even if they have to send money to there parents the highest they will send is 100 pounds in most cases they send home 50 pounds, Today a friend ask me to drive him to the bank (Oceanic Bank) to pick up the money his elder brother sent to him via western union and i ask him how much he said 10 Pounds,i ask whats the money for he said for a text book he needs to buy,i said na wa for your brother he no even fit join small money say make you take am buy biscuit (Jokingly) he said he is use to it and in fact he has been begging him for this money for over 2 weeks now before he eventually send it today,so my question is why are UK people hardly give out there money is there anything behind this ?, I know Nigerians in the UK will abuse me for this Topic but i don't care i know there will be someone out there who will explain why to me,
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by savanaha: 11:24pm On Jun 03, 2009
use search and type in your question, you will get the answer as this has been discussed extensively.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by heritage00(m): 11:28pm On Jun 03, 2009
savanaha cant find it will be glad if you can give me the URL link
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by savanaha: 1:11am On Jun 04, 2009
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by JustGood(m): 10:02am On Jun 04, 2009
Are they working to become father christmas? or do you think they dont have bills to pay?

Reverse the question and ask - why are Nigerians in Nigeria so stingy? They never give us any money when we vist Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 10:05am On Jun 04, 2009
JustGood:

Are they working to become father christmas? or do you think they dont have bills to pay?

Reverse the question and ask - why are Nigerians in Nigeria so stingy? They never give us any money when we vist Nigeria

falls off chair laughing.

I have never known a more greedy people than our own jeez

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by MrCrackles(m): 10:09am On Jun 04, 2009
heritage00:

Why Nigerians in the UK hardly give out there money when they visit home, Now don't get me wrong i am not saying they are father Christmas but compare them to other Nigerians in other western countries,most people complain most about the ones in UK,even if they have to send money to there parents the highest they will send is 100 pounds in most cases they send home 50 pounds, Today a friend ask me to drive him to the bank (Oceanic Bank) to pick up the money his elder[b] brother sent to him via western union and i ask him how much he said 10 Pounds,i ask [/b] whats the money for he said for a text book he needs to buy,i said na wa for your brother he no even fit join small money say make you take am buy biscuit (Jokingly) he said he is use to it and in fact he has been begging him for this money for over 2 weeks now before he eventually send it today,so my question is why are UK people hardly give out there money is there anything behind this ?, I know Nigerians in the UK will abuse me for this Topic but i don't care i know there will be someone out there who will explain why to me,

£10 pounds? shocked shocked

HABA!! cheesy
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 10:17am On Jun 04, 2009
Thats not true the fee to send £10 sef is like £4!!!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 04, 2009
Many people in Nigeria have this annoying theory that their relatives in the UK MUST be swimming in pots of gold thus will be demanding all sorts.

Even when you send money over a lot of them have the cheek to be complaining.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by JustGood(m): 10:58am On Jun 04, 2009
They probably just assume that we pick money from the floor and we pay no bills.

OR maybe they are used to meeting fraudulent guys who go home once in 10years (which is when they have made a little amount through fraudulent means) to show off what they have made. I work hard for my money and I dont work hard so as to throw it away like Santa.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 04, 2009
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 12:54pm On Jun 04, 2009
LMAO@Chairlover

Seriously our people are GREEDY!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by JustGood(m): 12:56pm On Jun 04, 2009
Its a mentality of pure reliance. Thats the reason politicians steal public funds - people expect someone else to throw money at them- it doesn't matter where the money is from.

Akpiri ogologo
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Ilelobola: 1:05pm On Jun 04, 2009
I couldn't agree more Chaircover. I used to buy and buy and pay for the excess baggage until some ungrateful persons would say or imply "Is this all you could get for me" or that the item was not from a particular store. Then I thought to myself, how many of these people (apart from close relatives) actually think of sending something to me -even a cup of garri- when someone else is visiting the UK? And reading your post, not one of them has ever brought me drinking water when I visited Lagos; yet they make super long list when someone is visiting the UK to be passed on to me. Ridiculous!

@ Poster
Was it really £10? I've never done Western Union or any other transfer but surely the charge must be too much to make sending £10 worthwhile.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by prittigrrr(f): 1:07pm On Jun 04, 2009
This is such a sad topic. My heart goes out to people here in the US who work 2 and 3 jobs and braid hair on the side to help family and it still is not enough. Marriages are strained to the breaking point b/c of this. It is heart rending to see people work themselves to an early death and poor health and not enjoy their own labor.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 04, 2009
Ilelobola:

I couldn't agree more Chaircover. I used to buy and buy and pay for the excess baggage until some ungrateful persons would say or imply "Is this all you could get for me" or that the item was not from a particular store. Then I thought to myself, how many of these people (apart from close relatives) actually think of sending something to me -even a cup of garri- when someone else is visiting the UK? And reading your post, not one of them has ever brought me drinking water when I visited Lagos; yet they make super long list when someone is visiting the UK to be passed on to me. Ridiculous!

@ Poster
Was it really £10? I've never done Western Union or any other transfer but surely the charge must be too much to make sending £10 worthwhile.
Lool
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 04, 2009
@OP:
Stop waiting for people to throw money at you. People do something to get the money. It is called 'Work' or 'solving a problem'.
The last thing anyone needs are people with an 'entitlement mentality' coming to me to ask for stuff.
If you want money, solve problems for people.
Jeez, see as he's writing as if its his birthright for people to give him money, people in the UK work hard. I choose how to spend my money.
If I do not want to give you money I worked for, and you think I am stingy, well, thats your own,
I probably might catch flame for this, but I don't care, entitlement mentality is so prevalent in our society, everyone thinks someone owes them
something,

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 1:48pm On Jun 04, 2009
What made me laugh was my mothers sister who told her she only wears Marks and Spencer underwear.

I was like hold the Bleep up you dont even have Marks and Spencer in Nigeria she then requested a certain bra at £22 each!

GREEDY set of people

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 04, 2009
LadyT:

What made me laugh was my mothers sister who told her she only wears Marks and Spencer underwear.

I was like hold the mess up you dont even have Marks and Spencer in Nigeria she then requested a certain bra at £22 each!

GREEDY set of people
Mschew.

Just buy a set from Primark, rip of the atmosphere tag and lie that you got it from La Senza or something.

Marks and Spencers ko.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Ben13: 1:57pm On Jun 04, 2009
JustGood:

I wonder tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 04, 2009
Why are a lot of Nigerians LAZY??

Since when does somebody in the UK become ur personal ATM, those people u are calling and only sending £100 work - I know for a lot of people like the poster that word is not in their vocabulary- but what it means is that u get up early in the morning commute on either public transport or traffic (with no driver) getting to the office - doing ur hours going home to then receive the useless flashers from Nigeria asking for things - I think its so funny somebody not working asking for a Laptop and not any old laptop o - has to be an apple or Sony, naija people go kill me o!

Anyway going back to topic - we are not stingy we just value money and have bills to pay that a lot of u guys back home would never in ur life pay. If u want poster I can list the number of taxes we pay in this country - if u don't pay ur behind will find its self in jail, or have u not heard people who are ur mama's age have been put in jail for not paying council tax in this country, nonsense.

A lot of students in Nigeria would never dream of working part time to make extra money instead the boys do 419  or all sorts of stupid immoral things to make money and the girls - well i don't need to tell u about how a lot of Nigerian girls make money back home do I (b4 any bad belle pple start here i have attended Uni in Nigeria and know what I am talking about). Meanwhile these same students will be calling their friends here in the UK who are doing all sorts of odd jobs to just pay the rent.

Anyway abeg let me go I have work to get back to.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 04, 2009
ronniq:

Why are a lot of Nigerians LAZY??

Since when does somebody in the UK become ur personal ATM, those people u are calling and only sending £100 work - I know for a lot of people like the poster that word is not in their vocabulary- but what it means is that u get up early in the morning commute on either public transport or traffic (with no driver) getting to the office - doing ur hours going home to then receive the useless flashers from Nigeria asking for things - I think its so funny somebody not working asking for a Laptop and not any old laptop o - has to be an apple or Sony, naija people go kill me o!

Anyway going back to topic - we are not stingy we just value money and have bills to pay that a lot of u guys back home would never in ur life pay. If u want poster I can list the number of taxes we pay in this country - if u don't pay ur behind will find its self in jail, or have u not heard people who are ur mama's age have been put in jail for not paying council tax in this country, nonsense.

A lot of students in Nigeria would never dream of working part time to make extra money instead the boys do 419  or all sorts of stupid immoral things to make money and the girls - well i don't need to tell u about how a lot of Nigerian girls make money back home do I (b4 any bad belle pple start here i have attended Uni in Nigeria and know what I am talking about). Meanwhile these same students will be calling their friends here in the UK who are doing all sorts of odd jobs to just pay the rent.

Anyway abeg let me go I have work to get back to.
Lmao, brilliant ending cheesy
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by manmustwac(m): 2:07pm On Jun 04, 2009
@post
So nigerians in the U K are stingy, which means if u come to the U K you will then become a nigerian in the U K and i trust u will join the club.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by biola44: 2:16pm On Jun 04, 2009
manmustwac:

@post
So nigerians in the U K are stingy, which means if u come to the U K you will then become a nigerian in the U K and i trust u will join the club.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On Jun 04, 2009
Cos they work hard for their money.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2009
What do Nigerians know about bills?

Council tax
Rent
Gas
Electricity
Water
TV licence

need I go on?
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Fhemmmy: 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2009
LadyT:

What do Nigerians know about bills?

Council tax
Rent
Gas
Electricity
Water
TV licence

need I go on?

Bills in Nigeria? they have no idea what bill is about in nigeria, where people can bribe Nepa officials and they will have light all times.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2009
Season ticket
Road tax
Income tax
National insurance
Car parking charges
Student loan repayments
Mortgage
Insurance
VAT

THE one that annoys me are the ones that ask…………….eh is it true that in the UK the government gives u a house and pays u if u don’t work – I had to look at the person asking that and say – we call them chavs and I don’t associate myself with such, SO EVEN IF ITS TRUE PEOPLE LIKE U DON’T DO SUCH THINGS!! so there I was thinking is this what people think. That even when u don’t work the government pays u to sit at home and watch Trisha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NA WAH FOR MY PEOPLE O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 04, 2009
WHY is the poster being stingy with his comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to hear what people back home have to justify this shameless behaviour and attitude.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by tpiah: 2:46pm On Jun 04, 2009
someone sent 10 pounds via western union?

You for no add that detail abeg- its distracting!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by JustGood(m): 2:51pm On Jun 04, 2009
THE PEOPLE IN NIGERIA ARE TOO STINGY. I GO THERE EVERY YEAR AND NONE OF THEM EVER OFFERS ME ORDINARY 5000naira

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 04, 2009
JUST GOOD

I'm going to get in trouble in this office from laughing too much.

grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Husband Bathes With My Father Everyday But He Never Touches Me - Lady Cries / Who Should You Put First, Family Or Work / 6 Months Baby!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.