Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,284 members, 7,829,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? (5854 Views)

'my Husband Is Stingy, He Goes To Market To Buy Foodstuff' - Wife Tells Court / How Do I Cope With A Rich But Very Stingy Dad? / Woman Blames PMS For Beating-up Her Husband In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by IGWEUSA(m): 12:40am On Jun 06, 2009
@ poster
From the above replies you have gotten so far, mostly from naija peeps living in UK, you can now deduce that UK is HELL.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by rubi(f): 4:05am On Jun 06, 2009
I have friends who relocated from UK to America they said life over there is as tough as HELL plus excess tax they pay these are professionals saying these. They mice everything
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 10:17am On Jun 06, 2009
The difference between the UK and Nigeria is that

Food is cheap and accessible

When we work we actually get paid wages (we dont need to wait 3 months)

Money is shared round the bills we pay go towards maintaining our water roads etc (unlike in Nigeria where some bastard fat cat is sitting on everyones money)

Education is free (Unless you want to go to a private school)

A three year degree takes only 3 years (unlike Nigeria where it can take 7 years and you need to sleep with your teachers to get ahead)

We can probe the goverment ( look at the expenses drama in Nigeria if you did the same you would disappear overnight)

The Goverment helps people who cannot help themselves e.g sick elderly, out of work, single mothers (In nigeria what help is there)

At the end of the day the UK has its peaks and those of us here are grateful and we keep praying Nigeria will wake the hell up and progress.  But how can it when the people are soooooo bloody greedy?

A large majority of people overseas are working to better their lives we are not cash machines.  SO the next time you wanna call and demand items like its Christmas think.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 06, 2009
LadyT:

Education is free (Unless you want to go to a private school)

i hope you know this is wrong.
education in the UK is not free. you somehow pay back if you took students loan.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 10:40am On Jun 06, 2009
primary school and secondary school ko?
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jun 06, 2009
hold up, are you gonne say NHS is free as well?
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 11:26am On Jun 06, 2009
Bite me Jare you this Omo Ibo tongue. I know we pay for the NHS but the healthcare over here is nothing like the hell hole they call health care in Nigeria. Where you need a police report before you can be treated for gunshot wounds.

Like I said all the taxes we pay go towards something
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 06, 2009
LadyT:

Bite me Jare you this Omo Ibo tongue. I know we pay for the NHS but the healthcare over here is nothing like the hell hole they call health care in Nigeria. Where you need a police report before you can be treated for gunshot wounds.

Like I said all the taxes we pay go towards something
now you've responded appropriately although, i didnt see where the statement was made.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 5:46pm On Jun 07, 2009
Read line 4 of my post above!

tongue
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by nezerst(f): 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2009
U guys make it sound like we dnt pay bills here.
Maybe u think we get everything 4 free.
Abi person dey force una 2 send anything 2 a greedy relative?
Suckers!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2009
I still get shocked at people's outrageous demands.
Why will you ask for money from someone who is not your parent? When I was in school and not working, my step siblings used to pick fights with me for not asking them for money. They thought I was being too proud but its just the way I am, I expect nothing from you and hope you pay me the same accord.

However, as to those saying people in Nigerians know nothing about bills, you're all definitely joking. Depending on your lifestyle, Nigeria (especially Lagos and Abuja) is one of the most expensive places to reside.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by netotse(m): 5:05pm On Jun 09, 2009
true talk, but some of us nigerians dont help matters o. . .u slave all year round so that u can come home and 'display' at the end of the year, and if u dont know anything u'll think that money really grows on trees outside the shores of this country!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by LadyT(f): 5:09pm On Jun 09, 2009
Spikey the bills you guys may pay are nothing on the number we have to pay over here
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Fhemmmy: 5:29pm On Jun 09, 2009
nezerst:

U guys make it sound like we dnt pay bills here.
Maybe u think we get everything 4 free.
Abi person dey force una 2 send anything 2 a greedy relative?
Suckers!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha, i wish they actually pay bills in Nigeria, cos i dont see the bills in Nija,apart from rent.
Besides, almost everyone is greedy, i am sure if someone sends you money, you wont refuse it.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jun 09, 2009
if someone dashes me money i will not refuse it - however, i get up everyday and work for the things I have and don't expect anyone one else to dash me anything.

Anyway - i don't send money or give it out - so people know not to ask me.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 9:52am On Jun 10, 2009
LadyT:

Spikey the bills you guys may pay are nothing on the number we have to pay over here

I beg to disagree. Thats why I included the clause - "depending on your lifestyle".

For an average person in Nigeria who wants the same standard of living as an average person in the UK, the Nigerian person will spend more.
The bills might not be "official" or go directly to the Government but they mount. Thats why a lot of your folk come here and cave under the pressure in less than 2 weeks.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 10, 2009
spiked - really?

are you really trying to equate the bills we pay here to what u pay in Nigeria? Obviously u spend a lot if u want constant running water and electricity. but even things like road tax, MOT, annual requirement to service ur car, tax on petrol, insurance u don't pay to maintai ur car - do u pay council tax? is ur sales tax in nigeria 17.5%, in ur wages do u pay 20 or 40% as income tax and then 11% in nationla insurance - the last i checked tax was 25% in naija.

do u pay a tax to watch TV - if u don't pay in this country u could go to jail or face a £1,000 fine

so please list ur bills in nigeria so we can compare. abeg.

Everything here is expensive - is it not £40 i used to relax my hair at the weekend and that as cheap is it not close to £200 i wil use to sew weave on on my hair - ur telling me that people pay N50k to do their hair in nigeria - please don't make me laugh,
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by nezerst(f): 2:23pm On Jun 10, 2009
u guys sound really ignorant n childish.
At least u r payn for services rendered,
why should u expect us 2 pay tax when
there is no water,light,good roads,good health
care system.
If u want 2 live a comfortable life here, u r goin 2 pay thru ur nose.
I dnt subscribe 2 anybody begging 4 money but i also thnk that
u guys should stop encouraging them by not sending them money
cept they r absolutely ur responsibility.

@ phemmy

How much do u think u have?
Not one of ur greedy relatives?
Def. dnt. need ur peanuts.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 4:14pm On Jun 10, 2009
ronniq:

spiked - really?

are you really trying to equate the bills we pay here to what u pay in Nigeria? Obviously u spend a lot if u want constant running water and electricity. but even things like road tax, MOT, annual requirement to service ur car, tax on petrol, insurance u don't pay to maintai ur car - do u pay council tax? is ur sales tax in nigeria 17.5%, in ur wages do u pay 20 or 40% as income tax and then 11% in nationla insurance - the last i checked tax was 25% in naija.

do u pay a tax to watch TV - if u don't pay in this country u could go to jail or face a £1,000 fine

so please list ur bills in nigeria so we can compare. abeg.

Everything here is expensive - is it not £40 i used to relax my hair at the weekend and that as cheap is it not close to £200 i wil use to sew weave on on my hair - ur telling me that people pay N50k to do their hair in nigeria - please don't make me laugh,

When you learn to read and write, you can let me know. In the mean time, a person with a more constructive argument can step forward.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 10, 2009
ha ha ha SPIKED -ur too funny and i love it cos Nigerians will never fail to be predictable - so cos of a few spelling mistakes on an informal Nigerian forum i am now an illiterate, chei i guess i better ask for a refund of my uni fees and professional qualification fees as well.

Simply put Nigerians that want to enjoy a very high standard of life do spend a lot but none of these expenses are compulsory. i think the point u missed while trying to insult me was that a lot of the bills we pay here are mandatory - whether u want to live a high standard or not. I mean is it right u have old age pensioners dying in winter cos they are looking for money to pay council tax and all sorts of other bills.

anyway pple back home love paying top dollar for something even when u can get the same quality cheaper - a lot of them carry that mentality here anyway.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 8:06am On Jun 11, 2009
ronniq:

ha ha ha SPIKED -ur too funny and i love it cos Nigerians will never fail to be predictable - so cos of a few spelling mistakes on an informal Nigerian forum i am now an illiterate, chei i guess i better ask for a refund of my uni fees and professional qualification fees as well.

Simply put Nigerians that want to enjoy a very high standard of life do spend a lot but none of these expenses are compulsory. i think the point u missed while trying to insult me was that a lot of the bills we pay here are mandatory - whether u want to live a high standard or not. I mean is it right u have old age pensioners dying in winter cos they are looking for money to pay council tax and all sorts of other bills.

anyway pple back home love paying top dollar for something even when u can get the same quality cheaper - a lot of them carry that mentality here anyway.

spikedcylinder:

I beg to disagree. Thats why I included the clause - "depending on your lifestyle".

For an average person in Nigeria who wants the same standard of living as an average person in the UK, the Nigerian person will spend more.
The bills might not be "official" or go directly to the Government but they mount.
Thats why a lot of your folk come here and cave under the pressure in less than 2 weeks.

Assuming you could read, you'd have seen that. I hope you get my point? undecided
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 11, 2009
spiked, thanks

well as someone that is based in Nigeria and the UK i beg to disagree. The average person in the UK does pay more than the average in Nigeria.

all you need to do is list the expenses the average Nigerian pays like we have done so that we can now have a much more balanced view of things.

I have friends who have the same job as me in Lagos living in Lekki and trust me their living costs are not as high as mine.

So as someone who has the experience of both countries I feel that maybe I do know what I'm talking about, and trust me not everyone runs after 2weeks in Nigeria.

Just another point I think its a bit immature trying to insult someones literacy purely based on a few spelling mistakes on an informal forum and cos they disagree with you. The question raised was why people in the UK are stingy and u had to do the typical naija thing and start with the insults. most of the people here arguing the point about the higher cost of living in the UK actually have experience of both, and probably know what they are talking about.

O i don tire for my people!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 2:55pm On Jun 11, 2009
First of, I have living experiences of both places too so I also know pretty much what I'm talking about. Just because I don't put "UK" under my siggy doesn't mean I'm ignorant, thank you.

Secondly, the issues you've raised had been detailed succinctly in my first two posts on this thread which is why I wondered if you could read. As for writing, you have answered it already.

Lastly, what is a "typical naija thing"? Care to illustrate?
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jun 11, 2009
wow - did anyone call u ignoarnt - gosh, is it now a crime to live in the uk and put it as ur location.

no offense and maybe i'm going blind but i still can't see the list of bills for the average nigerian. all i asked was u list them and then we can start with a proper debate about who has the higher living expenses.

typical naija thing, well you would know if u have had the living experience so there is no need for me to explain b4 u insult me again.

one thing comes to mind - sure in naija u guys might pay more to have a driver but most people here (including the well off) drive themselves so yes that may be an added expense. i'm just trying to understand what exactly you mean - cos to be honest although I have experience of both based ON MY PERSONAL experience Nigeria is cheaper.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Pittbaby(f): 3:32pm On Jun 11, 2009
I have to disagree with Naija is Cheap , Naija has a lower cost of living, only because a lower standard of living is acceptable but you pay heavily to sustain a decent life style.

On the other other hand, is it easier to save money in Naija? Yes, because the govt does not mandate the payment of several of the taxes , fees and Insurance that we pay in foreign countries. On the other hand access to easy financing is not available , so the average Nigerian is limited in his.her ability to purchase a car or a house.

on another issue , you all need to stop arguing , a few insensitive statements were made , but all is fair in Love and War  grin
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 3:49pm On Jun 11, 2009
ronniq:

although I have experience of both based ON MY PERSONAL experience Nigeria is cheaper.

So why did you have the guts to disagree with my own PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? undecided
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 11, 2009
guts

come are we fighting i'm here eating ice cream and someone is telling me about guts - please abeg don't make me choke up by laughing too hard.

all i asked is list naija expenses for me to see and then maybe we would agree instead ur (trying) insulting me.

why cant we agree to disagree - feel free to spell check my comments hard to type correctly with a bowl in one hand.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 11, 2009
I think its vice-versa depending on individual.

Here is my observation.

In terms of constant electricity. Nigerian is more expensive than UK.

Electricity bills might not be up to 100 pounds in UK. But you need more than 100 pounds to get constant electricity in naija 24hrs non-stop.

You have to buy a big generator to carry loads appliances in your homes, you have to fuel it meanwhile consuming a lot of fuel because of inadequate supply of electricity from our BELOVED BASTARD
N - No
E - Electricity
P - Power supply
A - Always

grin

But all above.

UK is more expensive!! Too much of Tax!! Whats the hype about this UK!! UK under my feet  grin  angry

I no fit shout!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by phemnahs(m): 7:51pm On Jun 11, 2009
Whatever, UK is expensive, UK is too hype.
I just got back to the UK yesterday after a month Holiday in Lagos and Abuja, and i know how much i spent. Infact on coming back to the UK enough people gave me loads to drop for them at my own expenses, all because they believe i should be able to afford it. Not there fault really, infact its nobody fault, if our own country dey develop, we wont be rushing to come obodo oyibo.

Meanwhile on a more serious note, please Nigerians, never leave certainty for uncertainty. There are no good jobs here, even for a professional, i know what i am talking about, even the menial jobs are being crowded by the Arabs (Pakistanis) and Indians. If you have a good job in Nigeria hold on to it, if you don't have yet, put more effort.

As per USA, i need not say too much. Afterall we all read papers and we can all see the rate of unemployment, they got no tree growing dollars o, you work it.

If you are coming to UK to school, make sure you ve everything you need to make your stay comfortable before coming.
My dear ko easy!!!
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Epi: 12:01am On Jun 12, 2009
English are cheap suckers so maybe Nigerians picked up all their bad habits
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Sauron1: 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2009
spikedcylinder:

However, as to those saying people in Nigerians know nothing about bills, you're all definitely joking. Depending on your lifestyle, Nigeria (especially Lagos and Abuja) is one of the most expensive places to reside.

U gotta be kidding me!!!
Lagos and Abuja??
Surely, y'all don't pay 250,000 naira monthly on rent, do ya?
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by spikedcylinder: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2009
Funny. You missed the "depending on your lifestyle" bit. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advise Me Like Your Younger Brother / PLS TALK TO US, We Are About To Break Up Cos Of Parents / Picture Of A Nairalander Getting Married To A White Lady.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.