Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,232 members, 7,829,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? (5852 Views)

'my Husband Is Stingy, He Goes To Market To Buy Foodstuff' - Wife Tells Court / How Do I Cope With A Rich But Very Stingy Dad? / Woman Blames PMS For Beating-up Her Husband In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by tunnytox(m): 1:09pm On Jun 19, 2009
I won't blame Nigerians who ask for money from their relatives in the UK and other countries, its their orientation. A lot of us also used to think money is easy to make in Europe until we came. I am lucky enough that most of my immediate family members are doing well its only my cousins and friends that calls for money.
I have always adopt a policy of explaining to them calmy on how life is difficult here, for those who do not believe i encourage them to come. As a matter of fact I have contributed to assist 2 of my friends and one of my cousin to come here, they used to call me stingy before now they know better. Whenever I want to tease them I'll just asked them how many camera phones or laptops they sent home last month grin and they will just laugh.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by chikito1(f): 3:27pm On Jun 19, 2009
@ Poster

They have come to appreciate the value of the word called Money. Mind you Pounds is not a devalued currency like naira.

Also you need to understand that nothing in the UK is free. You pay for any and everything. From lights to heating to fuel to council tax to insurance for both

the house and cars ?(if you have got more that one), water, Mortgage (House) and the BIG one Government Task which ranges from 20 to 40% of your income

depending on what bracket you fall. Having said all that you will love to shop for clothes, go on a fancy holiday, go out to eat out with friends in a fancy

restaurant etc. So tell me where does the word stingy come in when you have to pay and sort all this in your life. Every money left will be saved for future

purpose and that's even if any is left for some people. In Nigeria on the other hand NE-PA is not constant and you do not have to pay monthly cos the

generator is there. No council tax. No extensive mortgage for most people, no water bills, hardly go on holidays. The Government Tax is considerably very good.

So think again.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by akute(f): 7:17pm On Jun 19, 2009
Cash is very hard to come by
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by samparian(m): 4:36am On Jun 20, 2009
The question should be, Why do Nigerians always beg money from their relatives abroad

what nonsense!!
i live abroad and so does my immediate kid brother and everyone has his mobile number and they keep disturbing the poor boy for one help of the other.
Last year, one of our cousins called and begged him for help. he complained he wasnt doing anything in alaba market and needed some money to set up his own business. My brother sent him 300euros. The next week, the guys mother called my brother to thank him and also beg for some small money to use and offset her debts shocked shocked

My brother called me and informed me of the development and i laughed and told him thats why i frequently change my mobile number. No matter what you give, they'll still ask for more.
They think living abroad is easy. they should TRAVEL AND SEE
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 20, 2009
Sorry to digress

U gotta be kidding me!!!
Lagos and Abuja??
Surely, y'all don't pay 250,000 naira monthly on rent, do ya?

Better believe it!! sad sad Admittedly, it's a lifestyle choice.

Some people pay that much and more on rent, for some it's on their mortgage. I know a guy who pays N3.5m/yr to rent a flat in Victoria Island. Another guy spends about N4k per day on diesel for his residential generator, please don't ask me how much he pays monthly on his mortgage.

Dunno about the stinginess issue but if you want to live comfortably (to each his/her own definition) in Lagos, it costs a whole lotta money.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by samparian(m): 1:30am On Jun 21, 2009
True, rents in Lagos are high depending on location and choice. the most expensive places in Naija are Lagos, Abuja and PH but there are still cheap areas within these mentioned locations.

Abroad is a whole different ball game. we try to live in the cheapest decent areas and the rent is still F**king high. what i pay here a year for a 2 bedroom apartment is the same with what my uncle pays for his duplex in Festac Lagos. And i live in a cheap area o!
people dont consider that we've got to pay rent, feed, and pay utility bills and then save money. Most guys here cant even afford to buy a bottle of Budwieser, let alone go clubbing.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by slimes(m): 1:58am On Sep 30, 2009
They feel u don arrive from the place where suffer no dey. Idleness plays a key role and the worst is that the deceit of finding greener pastures on the other side is addictive to our people.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Fhemmmy: 2:02am On Sep 30, 2009
I think it is simple fact that they work so hard for their money and need to spend it wise.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Anabel(f): 1:04pm On Sep 30, 2009
they are very stingy, my dad has been in the UK for 19 years, i can't boast of 100 pounds as feeding money in 1 year
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Pittbaby(f): 2:10pm On Sep 30, 2009
anabel , you dads situation has nothing to do with him being in the UK. He his a dead beat dad . Move on with your life and forget about him, he is the one that will coming looking for you in his old age
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 30, 2009
Anabel:

they are very stingy, my dad has been in the UK for 19 years, i can't boast of 100 pounds as feeding money in 1 year

na waooo shocked

Maybe not his fault, you can't tell,
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Fhemmmy: 5:04pm On Sep 30, 2009
Pittbaby:

anabel , you dads situation has nothing to do with him being in the UK. He his a dead beat dad . Move on with your life and forget about him, he is the one that will coming looking for you in his old age

Your dad's case is different and doesnt mean that he is stingy, he is just in his own class.
A man has to take care of his kids, regardless of what is btw him and the baby mama
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2009
Anabel:

Anabel:

you dnt blame your dad o, situations in the uk can even make a man forget that he has God talkless of family,its damm hard
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2009
@poster,i dnt think the 10pounds is real,cos the commision he might even pay is more than the 10pounds if not exactly,and also that 10pounds is very very hard to come by in the uk,cos if the sender happens to be a mcdonalds staff,he or she must have said "I CAN HELP"till her mouth dries off,and if in the supermarkets,or factory,he or she must have stood like IROKO TREE while working like clock at the same time for 8 or 12 hours,and minimum wage is 5pounds something,just imagine how that kind of a person wil not manage his or her monies : grin
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Veragar(f): 3:35pm On Oct 15, 2009
May God help our people with their mentality. Its everywhere, imagine someone in Abj for instance and your relations in the village or other states belive you are picking money on the street. You must attend to their long list of request at the expense of your own comfort and immediate family needs. They care less about the high standard of living and that you need to survive.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Fhemmmy: 3:40pm On Oct 15, 2009
It is all cos of what they hear and never take time to investigate it.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by melidee: 12:27pm On Aug 30, 2010
why dont you just leave your friends alone in the UK? Because you are hoping that if you call them often enough they will always remember you when they get money the only reason why u are whindging is because all that effort and what you relly want you did not receive. Everybody abroad knows the mentaility of nigeria MONEY MONEY MONEY thats why it has such a bad name there is too much greed and envy. When the person arrives back to Lagos with nothing you will then rubbish him lets see how many times you will call then when you can see the person has nothing. All you will hear is things coming from your bitter mouth that look at this one he has nothing they just waste time in UK. On the other hand if i arrived with plenty of money people could not doi enough for me. Its all rubbish and false. Friend dont mean nothing in the uk. Carry on with your life or complain to the goverment that they do not do enough for the countries people. oh no you wont cause you will proberly end up dead.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by kitlady02(f): 11:02pm On Sep 02, 2010
Gosh! What is going on here. People in Nigeria are lazy, people in nigeria are this they are that. For all we know most of the people lamenting are people who spent 5 to 10yrs in nigeria after or during schooling without doing any job at all, them they got lucky to leave the country and then their lives changed, so they forgot what its like to live in nigeria. You know for those year you spent in nigeria jobless someone also thought of you as lazy, and all those times, things got so hard you had to call that friend you borrowed or toke money from n wasnt able to say back, someone also thought you were greedy and ungrateful. Yes some of those in nigeria can be annoying but annoying people are all over the world. So to all you UK peeps talking here i just have one question for you guys - if there were so many jobs to do in nigeria why did you leave the country? I have friends n relatives in the UK and i have never asked or collected anything from any of them. I used to think they would think of me as someone who feels too big, but reading all what you guys wrote one this thread i thank God i have not. I also thank God for making me a very content person.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by JesusloveU: 10:04am On Sep 03, 2010
This thread's very interesting.I nearly cursed my elder brother for excessive demanding from me.It's happens the month i sent money home about 1.5 million Naira for a  house project . The same month he sent me sms to tell me that my mom called him demanding for money.I was very angry with him.Infact,i have to exchange very unfriendly words with him.I told him"do you think am a tree that grows money"?he was angry telling me what have i done  to warrant me to say that to him.I felt like am being used as a slave by my brothers at home ,because all i do then was any money that comes my way i will send  it home.But now am wise,nobody calls me now to make unreasonable demands.This my elder brother has a business in Lagos,but every little thing about money he will call me.I have learnt a lesson that the more you send money home that's when everybody will start demading more from you.
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by omofat: 3:10pm On Sep 03, 2010
Ko si omo iya ni London grin grin grin
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by kokorunna(m): 3:52pm On Sep 03, 2010
UK Nigerians are not stingy but people in naija think we grow money on trees. By the time you pay for your rent\mortgage\bills\food and other expenses what is left is PEANUTS.

Maybe Nigerians in naija should send money to us , wink
Re: Why Are The Nigerians In The Uk Stingy ? by Orilee9ice(m): 5:00pm On Sep 09, 2010
HUMMM INTERESTING READ, i share the same view with Chaircover and others like her, i dont buy ANYTHING when i go to 9ja now, because you cant satisfy them, even though they dont give you "jack" IN RETURN, i used to have "excess x10 B4 but i have woken up now big time!, i only go with hand luggage now , dont announce that i am coming, just get in and get out b4 they discover i am around, the last time i bought things home to my folks and in-laws, they all looked at me like, EMI KE, is this what we are worth?? , i was so annoyed  i took it off them and gave it in their presence to the various house helps in my house, who prayed 4 me till i left (can u imagine TM Lewin shirts for the guys, and Prada bags for the gbogbo bigz girls, ), i also discovered that what i consider "isale apoti" here is what they use to go and buy bread next door over there.so now, i just make sure i have 200 to 300 Dollars.not pounds oh,  and give it to them IN SMALL DENOMINATIONS, WITH NICE "AWAY"ENVELOPES according to their ages,(one, one dollar bills to make it juicy and fat) they can go and change the money themselves and buy what ever they want with it, Omo kan o lee wa paa mi jare, lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Countries With Highest Divorce Rate In 2014 / Advise Me Like Your Younger Brother / PLS TALK TO US, We Are About To Break Up Cos Of Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.