Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,186 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? (26437 Views)

How Come Atheists Are Celebrating Christmas? / Stop Celebrating Christmas, Its Idolatrous – Pastor Kumuyi Warns / Stop Celebrating Christmas It Is Idolatry - Kumuyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by malvisguy212: 7:35am On Dec 27, 2015
CAPTIVATOR:

" the day of death is better than the day of birth" ecc 7:1 , na wa oh ! Celebrating Jesus Birth which he didnt command makes sense to you !

Jesus Knew Ecclesiastes 7:1 So well , not suprised he institutes the remembrance of his DEATH (luke 22:19) but never his birth .

dolphinheart:

Can you quote the direct statements of captivator?
Can you show me the verses where jesus say we should celebrate his death?
No jesus did not die every year!
I take your refusal to respond to the questions and answers to my post as an acceptance that the answers I provided to those questions are correct!
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by dolphinheart(m): 10:42am On Dec 27, 2015
Can you now see the difference between this:

CAPTIVATOR:
" the day of death is better
than the day of birth" ecc 7:1 ,
na wa oh ! Celebrating Jesus
Birth which he didnt command
makes sense to you !
Jesus Knew Ecclesiastes 7:1
So well , not suprised he
institutes the remembrance of
his DEATH
(luke 22:19) but never his birth .

And this :
malvisguy212:
captivator say Jesus death
should be the one to celebrate
and not Christmas, infact
Jesus command us to do so.

So I will ask this questions to
you, did Jesus died every
year ?

Can see that what you said captivator said does not correspond with what captivator really said .?

You have not shown me where jesus said we should celebrate his death. Pls quote the scripture out for us to see.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by vooks: 12:08pm On Dec 27, 2015
dolphinheart:

Can you quote the direct statements of captivator?

Can you show me the verses where jesus say we should celebrate his death?[
No jesus did not die every year!

I take your refusal to respond to the questions and answers to my post as an acceptance that the answers I provided to those questions are correct!

1 Corinthians 11:26 (KJV)
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Cc malvisguy212

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by vooks: 12:14pm On Dec 27, 2015
dolphinheart:

You are not celebrating jesus! You are celebrating the birthday of jesus!

It was not recorded that jesus did it.
Not recorded that his parents did it.
Not recorded that the disciples did it.
Not recorded that the Jews did it.
Not recorded that the apostles did it.
Not recorded that early christians did it.

So who did birthday celebrations?
Answer : pagans
When do they do birthday celebration for one of their Gods?
Answer : Dec 25th.

A lot of dates where recorded in the scriptures, but God has protected us from satans manipulative ways. He did not reveal the date jesus was born to us so that Satan will not use that date to create a pagan or man made religious celebration in the name of jesus!

Neither is the date of his death nor his resurrection indicated. Did this stop God from commanding us to commemorate his death?

This means you don't need a date for incarnation to celebrate it, you only need to believe in it. Sadly you don't even believe in God manifest in the flesh so we understand why you struggle with Christmas.

As for your nonsensical claim that nobody in the scriptures celebrated it, did anybody including Jesus Himself divide scriptures into chapters and verses? Why do you break it thus?

Cc malvisguy212
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by vooks: 12:15pm On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=SHOCK7 post=41369348][/quote]

So much for your rant,
Show what scriptures commemorating God manifesting in the flesh or incarnation violates
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Appleyard(m): 9:43pm On Dec 27, 2015
Wealthyonos:

My guy, mind your mouth before you pass judgement as if you were God. Jesus owns January, February,...December. He is the owner of all the days and all the years. Even the Shepherds worshipped God after seeing the born child. The host of the heavenly angels worshipped God when Christ was born. 25th may not be the actual day Christ was born. But for a man that owns all the days, months and years, it won't be inappropriate to pick any day to celebrate his birth. We celebrate our individual birthdays but it becomes sin when the birth of Christ is celebrated. I don't condemn people who do not celebrate the birth of Christ, henceforth, let no man trouble me for celebrating the birth of my Saviour because I bear in me the mark of Christ.
What ever we do, in words and in deed, we do it in the name of Jesus Christ as instructed by the Bible. Lastly, if you find it unholy to celebrate the birth of the Saviour, then shut up and mind your own business. Thank You. (Onos JP)
I have heard you. If justifying a lie based on the notion of ''all days'', is an acceptable norm to thee, then you can go ahead. After all, we all are free moral agents. But one thing is clear, and that is the scriptures: a lie is a lie, no matter sugar coated. Just as you alluded about us humans celebrating our birth days, but you didn't remember that ONOS JP dont celebrate his birthday premised on a lie by adopting a completely false date, rather than the original known to him.

But like we said, the choice is yours to live either the truth or the lie. Whichever way, God and His word remain unchanged.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by malvisguy212: 10:04pm On Dec 27, 2015
Appleyard:
I have heard you. If justifying a lie based on the notion of ''all days'', is an acceptable norm to thee, then you can go ahead. After all, we all are free moral agents. But one thing is clear, and that is the scriptures: a lie is a lie, no matter sugar coated. Just as you alluded about us humans celebrating our birth days, but you didn't remember that ONOS JP dont celebrate his birthday premised on a lie by adopting a completely false date, rather than the original known to him.

But like we said, the choice is yours to live either the truth or the lie. Whichever way, God and His word remain unchanged.
why do you keep on saying December 25 is a lie? Do you know what a lie is ? If December 25 is a lie then you have a reason for calling it a lie, the reason is 'you know the truth' so tell us, when was Jesus born?
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by penn2(m): 2:02am On Dec 29, 2015
xmas bad pple die travel
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by vooks: 6:39am On Dec 29, 2015
Appleyard:

There are reasons against December 25th birth of Jesus Christ, one shouldn't settle on any date without proof.

But look at the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are commanded to take the Lord's table in remembrance of His death yet we have no idea when He died. It means you don't need an exact date of His birth either to commemorate His birth. The date of Jesus' birth or death is immaterial to commemorating His birth or death respectively
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by malvisguy212: 7:38am On Dec 24, 2017
malvisguy212:
There are many people who seems to disagree with the celebration of Christmas. Jehovah's Witnesses, teach that it is a sin to observe Christmas at all. Is it a sin to celebrate Jesus' birthday?.
Yes, Christmas is not mentioned in the Bible. There is NO command for believers to observe or celebrate Jesus' birthday. It is a matter of PERSONAL CHOICE . I think it is acceptable to observe Christmas; or not to observe Christmas. I think it is not a sin to celebrate Christmas to a degree, anymore than it would be sinful to celebrate the birthday of a family member. I think it is appropriate to celebrate the Lord's birthday for those who choose to do so.

This lead us to many questions such as :
Jesus was not born in December? What about the pagan origin? Santa clause, e.t.c
First, a person who was born on February 29 (leap year) only celebrate his birthday after 4 years, is it sinful to chose another day to celebrate it ? I personally do not think so. Likewise, I see no harm in celebrating Jesus' birthday on December 25th,even if His actual birthday rests in a different month and date.I think it is a wonderful thing to celebrate the birth of the Savior, God's gift to mankind.

Doesn't Christmas has pagan origin ? So does the names of the week, if your birthday fall in Saturday (Saturn) will you celebrate it as a devoted christian because Saturn is one of the pagan gods? The truth is that Christians today celebrate the holiday in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MANNER. There are many wonderful Gospel hymns which have been written to worship Jesus at Christmas time; such as, Silent Night, Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem, Joy To The World. I think it would be a mistake to overlook Christmas entirely, and miss out on the opportunity to witness to the lost during the emotional Christmas season. Many hearts have been turned to the Lord during the Christmas holiday , is it sinful to present track to the lost ?No evidence exists that the Christian leaders who began this practice consciously wanted to compromise with paganism.

In conclusion, there are two ways in celebrating Christmas;
Conclusion
1. The Worldly Way :
Santa Claus, the north pole, elves, , secular songs about Christmas, booze, parties, Rock music,et cetera.
2. The Christian Way:
Jesus Christ, Christmas carols, soulwinning, a nativity scene, helping the poor in Jesus' name, et cetera.

Romans 14:5-6
One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. LET EACH MAN BE FULLY CONVINCED IN HIS OWN MIND . HE WHO OBSERVES THE DAY OBSERVES IT FOR THE LORD , and he who eats, does so for the Lord, FOR HE GIVES THANKS TO GOD ; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and GIVES THANKS TO GOD .

HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
d
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by orunto27: 12:33pm On Dec 24, 2017
It's Right, 'cos Christmas is Celebration and Human Rights
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by malvisguy212: 2:12pm On Dec 20, 2018
malvisguy212:
There are many people who seems to disagree with the celebration of Christmas. Jehovah's Witnesses, teach that it is a sin to observe Christmas at all. Is it a sin to celebrate Jesus' birthday?.
Yes, Christmas is not mentioned in the Bible. There is NO command for believers to observe or celebrate Jesus' birthday. It is a matter of PERSONAL CHOICE . I think it is acceptable to observe Christmas; or not to observe Christmas. I think it is not a sin to celebrate Christmas to a degree, anymore than it would be sinful to celebrate the birthday of a family member. I think it is appropriate to celebrate the Lord's birthday for those who choose to do so.

Jesus was not born in December? What about the pagan origin? Santa clause, e.t.c
First, a person who was born on February 29 (leap year) only celebrate his birthday after 4 years, is it sinful to chose another day to celebrate it ? I personally do not think so. Likewise, I see no harm in celebrating Jesus' birthday on December 25th,even if His actual birthday rests in a different month and date.I think it is a wonderful thing to celebrate the birth of the Savior, God's gift to mankind.

Doesn't Christmas has pagan origin ? So does the names of the week, if your birthday fall in Saturday (Saturn) will you celebrate it as a devoted christian because Saturn is one of the pagan gods? The truth is that Christians today celebrate the holiday in an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MANNER. There are many wonderful Gospel hymns which have been written to worship Jesus at Christmas time; such as, Silent Night, Hark The Herald Angels Sing, Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem, Joy To The World. I think it would be a mistake to overlook Christmas entirely, and miss out on the opportunity to witness to the lost during the emotional Christmas season. Many hearts have been turned to the Lord during the Christmas holiday , is it sinful to present track to the lost ?No evidence exists that the Christian leaders who began this practice consciously wanted to compromise with paganism.

Conclusion
1. The Worldly Way :
Santa Claus, the north pole, elves, , secular songs about Christmas, booze, parties, Rock music,et cetera.
2. The Christian Way:
Jesus Christ, Christmas carols, soulwinning, a nativity scene, helping the poor in Jesus' name, et cetera.

One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. LET EACH MAN BE FULLY CONVINCED IN HIS OWN MIND . HE WHO OBSERVES THE DAY OBSERVES IT FOR THE LORD , and he who eats, does so for the Lord, FOR HE GIVES THANKS TO GOD ; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and GIVES THANKS TO GOD .

HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by malvisguy212: 9:17am On Dec 25, 2019
malvisguy212:

Conclusion
1. The Worldly Way :
2. The Christian Way:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS

1 Like

Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by malvisguy212: 9:18am On Dec 25, 2019
HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Faithworld1(m): 3:14pm On Dec 09, 2021
I don't see any good reasons why a Christian should not celebrate Christmas, talk of saying it is a sin to celebrate it.

Let me tell you my reasons here: https://www.josephedembassey.com/2021/12/is-celebrating-christmas-sin.html

Good read.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Janosky: 4:49pm On Dec 09, 2021
Faithworld1:
I don't see any good reasons why a Christian should not celebrate Christmas, talk of saying it is a sin to celebrate it.

Let me tell you my reasons here: https://www.josephedembassey.com/2021/12/is-celebrating-christmas-sin.html

Good read.

Matthew 28:18 & Luke 22:19 is a genuine reason to SHUN Christmas celebration.

" teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you"

According to Jesus @ Matthew 28:18, did Jesus list Christmas among "everything Jesus commanded you"?
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Faithworld1(m): 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2021
Janosky:

Matthew 28:18 & Luke 22:19 is a genuine reason to SHUN Christmas celebration.

According to Jesus @ Matthew 28:18, did Jesus list Christmas among "everything Jesus commanded you"?
Let the scripture speak for itself. It's not in anyway saying we shouldn't celebrate or remember Christ's birth. That verse has nothing to do with Christmas. Still, you can take it as you wish.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Janosky: 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2021
Faithworld1:

Let the scripture speak for itself. It's not in anyway saying we shouldn't celebrate or remember Christ's birth. That verse has nothing to do with Christmas. Still, you can take it as you wish.
You are looking for excuses to disobey Matthew 28:18

& Luke 22:19 keep doing this (commemoration of Jesus death) in remembrance of me"

Matthew 28:18 excludes Christmas from "everything Jesus commanded you"

Obedience to Jesus is better eating rice & chicken in honour of a pagan celebration, Galatians 4:8-11.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Janosky: 11:30pm On Dec 11, 2021
vooks:

There are reasons against December 25th birth of Jesus Christ, one shouldn't settle on any date without proof.

But look at the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are commanded to take the Lord's table in remembrance of His death yet we have no idea when He died. It means you don't need an exact date of His birth either to commemorate His birth. The date of Jesus' birth or death is immaterial to commemorating His birth or death respectively

Jesus died in the month of Nisan, the 14th day (during the period of Jewish Passover ), these truths are explained in the gospels of Luke & John.

1 Like

Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Faithworld1(m): 5:27am On Dec 12, 2021
Janosky:

You are looking for excuses to disobey Matthew 28:18

& Luke 22:19 keep doing this (commemoration of Jesus death) in remembrance of me"

Matthew 28:18 excludes Christmas from "everything Jesus commanded you"

Obedience to Jesus is better eating rice & chicken in honour of a pagan celebration, Galatians 4:8-11.

You can't determine what people honour by what they do. Your judgment is wrong. If I eat rice and drink in gratitude and honor to God, how is it your concern?
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Janosky: 11:57am On Dec 12, 2021
Faithworld1:

You can't determine what people honour by what they do. Your judgment is wrong. If I eat rice and drink in gratitude and honor to God, how is it your concern?
Matthew 28:18

Matthew 28:18, did Jesus Christ teach Christmas & command you to do Christmas?

Matthew 28:18 , Jesus Christ is very much anti Christmas, it's very luminous enough.
Jesus statement has adjudged the matter grin.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Janosky: 11:58am On Dec 12, 2021
Faithworld1:

Matthew 28:18 , Jesus Christ is very much anti Christmas.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Faithworld1(m): 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2021
Janosky:

Matthew 28:18 , Jesus Christ is very much anti Christmas.
That's based on your interpretation of that statement. Keep it that way.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Kobojunkiee: 2:46pm On Dec 13, 2021
pamcode:
I don't believe it wrong as long as no part of the scriptures is broken when celebrating and it is done With a pure heart and urge to grow closer to God and other humans. As for me i and my family will celebrate christmas
It is a sin to celebrate, in the name of God, that which God never commanded to begin with. undecided

However, it isn't a sin to celebrate It as the pagan( with no connection to God) that it is. undecided
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by pamcode(m): 3:45pm On Dec 13, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
It is a sin to celebrate, in the name of God, that which God never commanded to begin with. undecided
Six years on. Anyway read the below

Brother, let us stop being hypocritical here. The bible has made it clear in Rm 14:5-6 when new christian converts among the jews and the gentiles were arguing on what celebration to observe and what not to observe. Some converts that were of jewish origin were still attached to some jewish celebrations like the feast of unleaven bread and so on while those of greek origin or gentiles did not know anything about such celebrations.

Some thought they should not celebrate while some thought maybe they should celebrate something else. The jewish christians among them still held fast to sabath while some of the gentile christians never even practised sabath before because they were not of jewish tradition or origin. They were idolaters before their conversion.

the argumentbof whether to observe some celebrations or discard some celebrations ensued between them. That why paul told them that whether the scripture say you should observe some days or notis not the question.

Hence the Romans 14:5-6
One man regards one day above
another, another regards every day
alike. LET EACH MAN BE FULLY CONVINCED IN HIS OWN MIND . HE WHO OBSERVES THE DAY OBSERVES IT FOR THE LORD , and he who eats, does so for the Lord, FOR HE GIVES THANKS TO GOD ; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and GIVES THANKS TO GOD .

A lot of things we do are not ordered by the bible, but we alow the holy spirit to guide us to know if we are committing sin doing it or not. For example: we build places of whorship today when Jesus did not even build one or order his deciples to do the same. christians in those days were found of whorshipping in brethren house.

We celebrate naming ceremony today. we eat and merry with neighbours and loved ones. does the bible order that kind of celebration? None of the biblical christians did the same.

Celebrating this anniversary and that anniversary in the church. where do christian celebrate whatever anniversary in the bible? And to you all these are not sins. But celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Everybody celebrate the transition unto glory of their aged. please give me an example of a place where funneral ceremony is celebrated in the bible. and to you its worth it. except celebrating the birth of the lord.

Jesus told the desciples that the holy spirit would teach them in many things. in that case Jesus directly or indirectly admit to them that he could not teach them everything they had to know until he would be received into heaven.

While we should be giving God thanks everyday, in churches today, we dedicate a special sunday as thanks giving sunday. please where was that practiced in the bible? But we know what is right and that is unto the glory of god and we do it. but to appreciate the birth of Jesus christ by celebrating it is a sin to you because bible does not say so.

we go to church on sunday. Where is that written in the bible. even that same Romans 14:5-6 has settle the issue of Sabbath worship.

Why do you celebrate new year celebration? is it because the bible tells you to do it or any of the apostles celebrated it?

I can go on and on but I will leave the rest to you to think on so many things you do that bible does not order to do. And that are not sins anyway.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Kobojunkiee: 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2021
pamcode:
Six years on. Anyway read the below
That write up does not change the facts of this which again is...

However, it isn't a sin to celebrate It as the pagan( with no connection to God) that it is. undecided
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by pamcode(m): 4:21pm On Dec 13, 2021
Kobojunkiee:
That write up does not change the facts of this which again is...

No one celebrating Christmas is saying it is the commmandment of God rather we are celebrating the significance. The Bible clearly mentions the birth of Jesus was celebrated by Angels in heaven. Almost all of the gospels articulated the nativity and birth of Jesus. That is a strong precedent for Christmas celebration. As someone said in the thread celebrating Christmas isn't a sin also not celebrating it isn't a sin.
Re: Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? by Kobojunkiee: 4:40pm On Dec 13, 2021
pamcode:
No one celebrating Christmas is saying it is the commmandment of God rather we are celebrating the significance. The Bible clearly mentions the birth of Jesus was celebrated by Angels in heaven. Almost all of the gospels articulated the nativity and birth of Jesus. That is a strong precedent for Christmas celebration. As someone said in the thread celebrating Christmas isn't a sin also not celebrating it isn't a sin.
Jesus Christ clearly informed you that it is sin and against God to practice doctrines and traditions that are not commanded of God in His Name. undecided

That the birth of Jesus Christ is mentioned in scriptures does not mean it is commanded of God. Jesus Christ never asked or commanded any of His disciples to celebrate His birth, or even His death. And He made it quite clear that those who belong fo Him are those who do only that which He commands of them in His name. undecided

The only precedent for Christmas in the name of God is that offered you through the doctrines and traditions of men(and their churches) which Jesus Christ affirmed were nothing but lies where the Truth of God is concerned- Matthew 15 vs 1 - 14 & Mark 7 vs 1 - 13. . Those very lies are the only reason for why many have been deceived into practicing that which is not of God as if in His name. undecided

Again, it Is a sin to celebrate Christmas/Xmas in the name of God. However, it is not a sin to celebrate It as the pagan(nothing to do with God) holiday that it truly meant is. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Shiloh 2014: Full Transcript Of Bishop David Oyedepo's Messages / No PVC, No Mass: Catholic Priest Denies Members Without PVCs Entry To Church / The Punishment The Bible Prescribes For Rape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.