Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do (1821 Views)

Poll: Do They?

No: 86% (19 votes)
Yes: 13% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard / Legislators Agree To Belt-tightening, Cut N’assembly’s Budget By 25%-thisday / 90% Of Sokoto Legislators Decamp To APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by ayoola22: 8:02am On Jun 08, 2009
I saw this question on sahara reporters and i wonder out loud,

What are they elected to do,

I used to think they are law makers but i cant remember any law of recent ,

pls remind me of any that you know.

They are always on TV doing public sitting and playing to the gallery in the name of oversight duty.

I think they are really elected to make money, that is why we have the big salary, the constituency allowance, the public sitting and the accompanying  allowance, the lobbying by oil company,

Can we make sure our vote count at the next election and vote out a few of them?
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by mygwajam: 11:44am On Jun 08, 2009
honestly dey do nothing
dey are just representatives 4publicity sake
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by mayrho(m): 12:10pm On Jun 08, 2009
u mean representatives for their pockets sake
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by bolseas(f): 12:15pm On Jun 08, 2009
Yes - a few know what they are elected to do

No- most do not know what they are elected to do.

70%  from those few are not even elected in d first instance, they more like imposed themselves on the people

90% of the second group (most) are also not elected. so they feel/believe/think that they owe nobody a dime. besides most of them are loyal to their godfathers, thugs/touts and those who helped rig them into National Assembly.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by walata44(m): 12:21pm On Jun 08, 2009
What did you expect from legislator that are not accountable for whatever Bill they voted on? If you don't know Nigeria legislator do not have voting record, so they can do whatever they wish and get away with it.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by MrCrackles(m): 12:37pm On Jun 08, 2009
Topic

Majority of them dont know!
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by vigasimple(m): 12:46pm On Jun 08, 2009
THE MAJORITY OF THEM (not all of them)

1. They are selected and put in the national Assembly through rigging etc.

2. They are certified chartered comedians

3. They are criminals and psychatric minded people who should either be in maximum prison or mental hospitals(or to stop them coming back time and time again, firing squad)

4.They are people who need to be lead , who are leading others, and you and I know where that will end up.

As if that is not enough, you then have  YAR A'CLUELESS, the leader of a DO NO NOTHING PARTY, 7 NO POINT AGENDA, VISIONLESS 2020.

We need serious help in this country, because we are driving ,flying, sailing the craft of this Nation blindly without radar. It is deliberate by the 'thieveing class'

The answer to your question is that the NASS members CARELESS, They knew or ought to know why they were elecetd but they are simply doing 'politics'
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2009
Poster for this kind of topic, it might have carry better weight if you did some research on the duties of legislators, how many bills some have sponsored/ Lobbied for, how many of them carry out constituency projects and the impacts of such project. That uis how to eveluate someones work
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by DisGuy: 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2009
aisha2:

Poster for this kind of topic, it might have carry better weight if you did some research on the duties of legislators, how many bills some have sponsored/ Lobbied for, how many of them carry out constituency projects and the impacts of such project. That uis how to eveluate someones work

i was about to pos this too, but i thought where in the world are we going to get this information from

I saw some ratings in thiefdaythisday newspaper, apparently, some dont even attend, some done even get involved and some never sponsor bills just support a motion
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2009
I am sure that most of the elected law makers in nigeria dont even know what a lawmaker means.
they are all there for the money.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Kobojunkie: 2:50pm On Jun 08, 2009
These men are not idiots. They know what they ought to be doing, only that majority continue to choose not to do that but pursue selfish gain.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by JAZES(m): 5:49pm On Jun 08, 2009
I really dont know the decadence in the National Assembly till i saw the quiz they had with the new CBN governor on wed june 3rd,2009.
It was a total show of disgrace on the part of our Senators cos most of them dont even know which question to ask the CBN governor and to say that the man totally bamboozo them is to say the least.
It was a three and half hours show of ignorance on the part of our so called legislators cos the CBN governor had to keep lecturing them on the basics of financial issues that concerns this country.It simply shows they dont have the interest of the country at heart judging by the ignorance they display on such sensitive issues.
It took the intervention of the senate president who in my opinion is not different from the droves to put a stop to the session by giving one of the lame excuse i have ever heard "I think this is the longest session we have had with any individual on this floor and as such i suggest that we let the young man take his leave now".
I wonder ow dis country intend to move forward with such retards legislators we are currently parading.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Olori(m): 10:49pm On Jun 08, 2009
Majority of them being high school drop out do not understand what they are there for.
Hence the need for regular ovverseas trips for capicity building. The early fathers of the nation with all their failures and inadequacies never had to go Ghana,the US or the UK before we had the Cocoa House,the Niger bridge, Lagos/Ibadan Expressway etc
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by bawomolo(m): 12:11am On Jun 09, 2009
they are getting their certificates from university of toronto. be patient
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Prettiep(f): 1:14am On Jun 09, 2009
Please to d virgin poster, i hope u realize that there's a huge curve between selected n elected. u help someone u have selected because u gave he or she an S that has made d person fit 4 d position whist someone without d S would have 2 prove himself fit 4 d position by being DULY elected , 'd question here is were these legislators elected or selected? when u answer this question u have also answered ur topic for this thread!
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by init4dmoni(m): 1:24am On Jun 09, 2009
is dat a trick question?cuz we all know the answer, don't we?
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by solosimple(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2009
Please to d virgin poster, i hope u realize that there's a huge curve between selected n elected. u help someone u have selected because u gave he or she an S that has made d person fit 4 d position whist someone without d S would have 2 prove himself fit 4 d position by being DULY elected , 'd question here is were these legislators elected or selected? when u answer this question u have also answered ur topic for this thread!
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 9:38am On Jun 09, 2009
Probe,probe,probe-or whatelse.Ok money sharing.
95% have no business being there-because they do not know what lawmaking is.
God help us.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by ud4u: 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2009
What we have is selected representatives not elected representatives,
so they are there for their selfish interest and not for us.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by GeorgeD1(m): 5:24pm On Jun 09, 2009
Do we really have legislators in this country? I think not. What we have
is a selected bunch of crooks who fight each other for juicy committee
positions and collect a whopping 8m a month salary while their fellow citizens
wallow in penury. Sad!
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Nezan(m): 10:13am On Jun 10, 2009
all they do is to pocket money meant for constituency projects to enjoy life in Abuja with they girlfriends angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by GeorgeD1(m): 10:34am On Jun 10, 2009
yes you're right. most of them don't even bother coming for sittings or plenary sessions.
they laze about in their hotel rooms sorrounded by a bevy of girls while making phone calls
to other colleagues to get updates on proceedings. That is why when you watch nta or ait
you see virtually the whole seats empty.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by proudly9ja(m): 1:18pm On Jun 10, 2009
I think each rep should be made to attend regular town hall meetings say once a month or so in his/her constituency. These meetings should be no holds barred where the electorates would be allowed to ask questions on what their rep is doing in the House. Unfortunately, the only time a rep visits his/her constituency is when elections are around the corner.

As long as we do not have reps answerable to the electorates, we are just kidding ourselves.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Haksalam(m): 7:38pm On Jun 10, 2009
[i]YEAH, I THINK THEY ARE DOING THEIR LEGISLA[b]THIEF[/[color=#000099][/color]b] DUTIES SO, WHY THE COMPLAIN? grin
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 10, 2009
yes they do . . . steal for their friends and families.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by Haksalam(m): 7:48pm On Jun 10, 2009
YEAH, THEY ARE DOING THEIR LEGISLATHIEF DUTIES SO WHY THE COMPLAIN?[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by GeorgeD1(m): 9:00pm On Jun 10, 2009
you mean thieving duty? grin
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by SapeleGuy: 9:24pm On Jun 10, 2009
proudly9ja:

I think each rep should be made to attend regular town hall meetings say once a month or so in his/her constituency. These meetings should be no holds barred where the electorates would be allowed to ask questions on what their rep is doing in the House. Unfortunately, the only time a rep visits his/her constituency is when elections are around the corner.

As long as we do not have reps answerable to the electorates, we are just kidding ourselves.
They all know in exquisite detail what they are supposed to do. It is obvious to even a ten year old, the truth is that they don't give a damn because they don't depend on the electorate for votes.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by GeorgeD1(m): 11:10am On Jun 11, 2009
They really don't depend on the electorates. All those campaigning during elections
is just for show. The real 'election' is done by godfathers.
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by archbishop(m): 4:30pm On Jun 11, 2009
nairalanders,

we did not elect them, so they are there to STEAL MONEY. instead of making laws for the good of the people they are awarding contract and inflating the PRICE.
Eg the POWER contract scam.
senators and House of representatives are all thievess

sad sad sad sad, angry angry angry angry
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by GeorgeD1(m): 11:17am On Jun 12, 2009
You're right. They're all thieves!
Re: Do Our Legislators Know What They Have Been ‘elected’ To Do by biola44: 11:29am On Jun 12, 2009
after all they bought their mandates, grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Tunde Bakare Eyes Presidency! / Taliban Sect Threaten To Widen Attacks - Nigeria: Security forces on alert / Mastercard Brought Down By Wikileaks Revenge Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.