Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery (42912 Views)

The Real Meaning Of NNPC And DSS By Reno Omokri / Photos Of President Buhari On Arrival At The Kaduna Airport / Avengers Bomb NNPC And Chevron Pipelines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by NavierStokes(m): 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2015
dustydee:

Sir, with all due respect, your position is flawed. The refinery can function effectively if properly maintained. If it could function well for several years after it was built, there's no reason why it shouldn't now if the properly maintained. There are older refineries in the US that operate near optimal capacity so why can't ours?

see rejoinder to your story here: https://www.nairaland.com/2817738/placing-egbogahs-advice-proper-perspective#41245672

First of all that article you put up there wasn't written by iheanacho of Enercon, but by the recently sacked GED Refining of NNPC, Ian Greg Udoh. What were you expecting him to say, that the manager of Mercedes Benz GMBH should be telling you that the Mercedes cars are poorly designed?
You need to google Dr Emmanuel Egbogah, and answer for yourself if he is the type of person that is should be regarded as clueless in his own subject area. That man is the epitome of excellence and achievement in Nigeria"s oil and gas industry and it will be very unfair for anyone to brand him as ignorant on an issue in his domain especially when the writer of the article you mentioned is an interested party in this matter, who has a lot to answer on the frauds within the Oil swap and OPA deals.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by kwaraguy(m): 11:08pm On Dec 22, 2015
slimfit1:

It's just 7 months old mr man complain after 2 years.

I'm quoting this for reference purpose, I pray I won't need it in 17 months to come

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Jdesigns(m): 3:36am On Dec 23, 2015
I have tried as much to stay away from politics either ruling or oppositions but on this matter I think I need to comment from a business man point of view and please note correct me if am wrong and not insults, we all learn.

Firstly, I don't think having kaduna refinery was a bad idea, but over the years it turned out to be.

We need to first understand business and cost savings to draw out a working model but are we going to say a business model which was put in place in the 70's and not worked upon and tweaked a bit wouldn't fail.

Reading the history and design of kadana refinery and concerning the heavy crude and light crude, I bet we have alot to gain from heavy crude as well.

Now a question for all, if u into biz and u buy a finished product for 10N and u later find out that u can buy the raw material for 2N and after making ur finished product from it, u still have other by-materials gotten from that raw material dat u can sell for 2N or use to make other products, what would u do.

Note an idea may be good and the implementation wrong.

Back to the refinery and crude, apart from pms (petrol) we get from crude we have other by-products which a lot don't know about (pls Google it). putting a refinery in kadana is far and alot ask why, I have asked myself the question a lot of times, but when I applied biz sense I came to a conclusion, as a business man what would I do if I have to transport my products (note not just a product to the far side of my initial base; the answer I got is why not transfer the raw material to the far side and start a production center there, dis will safe more on transportation cost and loses of finished products along the way. (Prove me wrong on this from the business point of view) so by the way I see the creation of a refinery in d north not a bad idea because it will cater for the need of the end products in the northern part so no need to waste on transporting of end products all the time.

Now heavy and light crude, why would I want to create a refinery that will refine heavy crude where they extract light crude, doesn't make sense to me. So for me I will take the heavy crude refinery far away from there (biz point of view).

Google tells me countries prefer the light crude to heavy crude which means the heavy crude sells far more cheaper, "biz sense" sell my light crude at a very high rate and buy the cheaper heavy crude and refinery (more money in my pocket).

I may be wrong and I may be right I talk from biz view, now the problem i have is that we are not all truthful with ourselves, about if an idea is good and the execution is bad, I will ask us all, if u av good idea and u put someone in charge and the person fails is your idea a bad one, my answer is no and why because the owner of idea knows what he wants but the executioner doesn't understand the idea.

Am not politically inclined, am jus a guy making my ends meet in business and I try to see everything around me in biz point view.

U can either like or dislike but like I said we all learn and am still learning you can prove me wrong on what I wrote, but know that my biz sense runs my household without ur support

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by BABAKABIRU301(f): 4:24am On Dec 23, 2015
BUT EVERY PROMISED MADE BY apchop IS BFOR 100 DAYS IN OFFICE, NOW DIVIDE 100 DAYS WITH 7 MONT' =?
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Abiagirl777(f): 4:25am On Dec 23, 2015
NavierStokes:

Please read this article:
http://www.aneej.org/aneej-demand-accountability-nigeria-oil-swap-deals/
The crude oil swap was an arrangement from the onset 1977 to feed the kaduna refinery in particular with heavy oil from Venezuela.

In this article you find the claim that the refinery was designed from day one to refine crude different from the blend in the Niger Delta.
http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS6314.htm

Every thing about that refinery should be questioned by any sane mind, its location, its purpose, even the feedstock to be used for her operations.

I hope this sheds more light.

its an Eye-opener, one the opposition will gladly not want to discuss.I shudder when I imagine the money spent to build this refinery, connect the undeground pipelines to the south.

the initiator of the refinery has the devill as his adviser
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Ndeewonu: 4:53am On Dec 23, 2015
slimfit1:

It's just 7 months old mr man complain after 2 years.

"From the smell of fart, says an Igbo proverb, "you know the taste of the faeces."

Another says, "You know a good day by the early morning sunshine."

And yet another, "A child that will be smart starts crawling and running early!"
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Ndeewonu: 5:14am On Dec 23, 2015
NavierStokes:

First of all that article you put up there wasn't written by iheanacho of Enercon, but by the recently sacked GED Refining of NNPC, Ian Greg Udoh. What were you expecting him to say, that the manager of Mercedes Benz GMBH should be telling you that the Mercedes cars are poorly designed?
You need to google Dr Emmanuel Egbogah, and answer for yourself if he is the type of person that is should be regarded as clueless in his own subject area. That man is the epitome of excellence and achievement in Nigeria"s oil and gas industry and it will be very unfair for anyone to brand him as ignorant on an issue in his domain especially when the writer of the article you mentioned is an interested party in this matter, who has a lot to answer on the frauds within the Oil swap and OPA deals.

From what I read in that article, KRPC can only refine Heavy Crude, usually imported from Venezuela. Refining of Nigeria's Bonny Light requires another type of refinery facilities, which KRPC is not equipped with. .

The article did not say KRPC cannot refine or has never refined. It only stated that for it to have what to so, crude must be imported from country like Venezuela.

This is what I understand. Googling James and John, as you have recommended, makes no sense here.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by NavierStokes(m): 6:50am On Dec 23, 2015
Ndeewonu:

From what I read in that article, KRPC can only refine Heavy Crude, usually imported from Venezuela. Refining of Nigeria's Bonny Light requires another type of refinery facilities, which KRPC is not equipped with. .

The article did not say KRPC cannot refine or has never refined. It only stated that for it to have what to so, crude must be imported from country like Venezuela.

This is what I understand. Googling James and John, as you have recommended, makes no sense here.

Insofar as you get the point, thats fine. The guy has been brandishing an article that portrays one of the industry's most respected fellows globally, in a bad light (as incompetent). Have a splendid day brother
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by NavierStokes(m): 6:52am On Dec 23, 2015
Abiagirl777:

its an Eye-opener, one the opposition will gladly not want to discuss.I shudder when I imagine the money spent to build this refinery, connect the undeground pipelines to the south.

the initiator of the refinery has the devill as his adviser

Well said sister!!! Well said
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by ussy09(m): 7:15am On Dec 23, 2015
Blackfire:
..... A storm is coming.
Wailers d most confuse set of pple wish u all Goodluck
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by ussy09(m): 7:15am On Dec 23, 2015
Blackfire:
..... A storm is coming.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Blackfire(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2015
ussy09:

is the word wailler suppose to be a kind of derogatory word?.
Confused? By this time tomorrow u will experience 3 set confusions in your life, it starts with a knock on your door. Even goodluck won't save u.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by ussy09(m): 7:33am On Dec 23, 2015
Blackfire:

is the word wailler suppose to be a kind of derogatory word?.
Confused? By this time tomorrow u will experience 3 set confusions in your life, it starts with a knock on your door. Even goodluck won't save u.
Receive sense ijn
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Blackfire(m): 7:48am On Dec 23, 2015
ussy09:
Receive sense ijn
receive sense from devil in mami water's name.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by sultaan(m): 7:51am On Dec 23, 2015
How many equipment made in the 70's do you still know running when manned by a Nigerian

Say something new

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by dustydee: 8:26am On Dec 23, 2015
NavierStokes:

Dr Egogah is respected in the oil and gas industry and so is Ian Udoh. But I will go with Ian because he is more experienced, in my opinion, than Dr Egbogah in refinery technology and operations. A look at is CV will confirm that he is not an expert in refining. Kaduna refinery was setup for a purpose and it served that purpose until our lack of maintenance culture affected its operation.
As with your analogy, I'd rather believe the mercedes benz manager than a Tractor company manager who tells me that the mercedes is not properly designed.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by psmile(m): 8:34am On Dec 23, 2015
As I type,we are refining.Production resumed few days ago.
The Kaduna refinery has d facility to refine both light and heavy crude.I wonder where all dis propaganda emerged from.

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by NavierStokes(m): 8:38am On Dec 23, 2015
dustydee:

Dr Egogah is respected in the oil and gas industry and so is Ian Udoh. But I will go with Ian because he is more experienced, in my opinion, than Dr Egbogah in refinery technology and operations. A look at is CV will confirm that he is not an expert in refining. Kaduna refinery was setup for a purpose and it served that purpose until our lack of maintenance culture affected its operation.
As with your analogy, I'd rather believe the mercedes benz manager than a Tractor company manager who tells me that the mercedes is not properly designed.

That Dr Egbogah according to you, is not "experienced" in refining doesn't mean he would know nothing about the feedstock, know nothing about the operations of the refinery. These are very basic assertions he put out there being challenged. In the case of your analogy, "Dr Egbogah can not be referred to as a Tractor Manager here, a regulator or critique would be more appropriate ". At the end your choice is as you prefer.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by psmile(m): 8:39am On Dec 23, 2015
KRPC has d capacity to refine both light and heavy crude.We've got d CDU 2 unit and a LUBES plant.The major issue is just proximity to raw materials,or feed as it is called.Give d KRPC crude,and see if it won't refine it.I rest ma case.

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by IBBG(m): 9:02am On Dec 23, 2015
for those tagging others wailers for complaining, are being unreasonable, especially when this govt seem to be making a habit of taking bad decisions and wrong policies.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by dustydee: 9:49am On Dec 23, 2015
NavierStokes:

That Dr Egbogah according to you, is not "experienced" in refining doesn't mean he would know nothing about the feedstock, know nothing about the operations of the refinery. These are very basic assertions he put out there being challenged. In the case of your analogy, "Dr Egbogah can not be referred to as a Tractor Manager here, a regulator or critique would be more appropriate ". At the end your choice is as you prefer.
I am saying he is not more qualified than one who operated and maintained the refinery for several years. One that knows the inner workings of the refinery. The write-up was Dr Egbogah's opinion, and he's entitled to it. But that doesn't make it right.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by NavierStokes(m): 10:07am On Dec 23, 2015
dustydee:

I am saying he is not more qualified than one who operated and maintained the refinery for several years. One that knows the inner workings of the refinery. The write-up was Dr Egbogah's opinion, and he's entitled to it. But that doesn't make it right.

Brother it is all out there now that the KRPC refinery functions on feedstock that is imported from faraway Latin America. Even the explanation of higher volumes I believe can not be justified by the cost of transporting light crude all the way to Latin America or wherever and transporting the heavier crude back here, with subsequent trucking from the coasts to Kaduna. Doesn't make sense in anyway bro. It doesn't make sense .
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by dustydee: 11:38am On Dec 23, 2015
NavierStokes:

Brother it is all out there now that the KRPC refinery functions on feedstock that is imported from faraway Latin America. Even the explanation of higher volumes I believe can not be justified by the cost of transporting light crude all the way to Latin America or wherever and transporting the heavier crude back here, with subsequent trucking from the coasts to Kaduna. Doesn't make sense in anyway bro. It doesn't make sense .
Ever wondered why we import heavy crude? Why did you say it doesn't make sense? An economic analysis will do. India as far from Nigeria as it is imports crude oil from Nigeria, why? Why don't they just buy refined products instead of buying crude and refining?
You have to realise that different crude types have different characteristics and the fractions you get from them differs.
Basically you are suggesting that we are better off importing petrochemical products than producing them here.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by NavierStokes(m): 11:44am On Dec 23, 2015
dustydee:

Ever wondered why we import heavy crude? Why did you say it doesn't make sense? An economic analysis will do. India as far from Nigeria as it is imports crude oil from Nigeria, why? Why don't they just buy refined products instead of buying crude and refining?
You have to realise that different crude types have different characteristics and the fractions you get from them differs.
Basically you are suggesting that we are better off importing petrochemical products than producing them here.

No brother, if you followed my posts you will understand my position, India and Nigeria can not be compared in this regards, we already have the oil downhere and could refine or build our refineries close to the source. What is the rationale behind
1) travelling abroad to find heavy oil with the abundance of easily refined light oil.
On a scale of preference our basic challenge is on petroleum products, while leave a crude that guarantees us higher and finer yields for one that gives more asphalt. Petroleum is our primary objective, and not other by products.
2) trucking the imported oil all the way to Kaduna and trucking back any refined products.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by dustydee: 12:44pm On Dec 23, 2015
NavierStokes:

No brother, if you followed my posts you will understand my position, India and Nigeria can not be compared in this regards, we already have the oil downhere and could refine or build our refineries close to the source. What is the rationale behind
1) travelling abroad to find heavy oil with the abundance of easily refined light oil.
On a scale of preference our basic challenge is on petroleum products, while leave a crude that guarantees us higher and finer yields for one that gives more asphalt. Petroleum Petrol is our primary objective, and not other by products.
2) trucking the imported oil all the way to Kaduna and trucking back any refined products.
That is not our only requirement. Mind you the refinery also produces petrol and other fuel types. The inability of the Kaduna refinery to functon properly is partly responsible for the collapse of the textile industry in Northern Nigeria (scarcity of LPFO). Ashphalt is only one of the by products of crude. There's a host of other industrial products that can be obtained from crude which are better produced here than imported. And the crude is pumped to the refinery and not trucked. I have worked in a refinery in Nigeria, studied refinery operations and petroleum economics (incidentally the issue of Kaduna refinery was discussed in one of our classes and the conclusion was that it was the right decision to site it there).
That crude is light doesn't mean it suits all your industrial needs otherwise Nigeria will not be struggling to sell her crude in the international market.

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by MrPresident1: 12:54pm On Dec 23, 2015
khattab02:
that is false. It was built to refine Nigerian sweet crude as well as Foreign also. Crude distillation Unit 1 (CDU 1) for Nigerian crude and CDU 2 for foreign crude.

The wisdom behind it is that it will help distribute the products among Northern states.

The wisdom behind establishing the refinery as you have given here, has it been justified?
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by Tequilah: 3:50am On Dec 24, 2015
khattab02:
that statement is wrong! KRPC is designed to refine both foreign and bonny light crude. It has two distillation units. CDU 1 for Nigerian crude and CDU 2 for foreign crude.

Hallelujah!! shocked At long last, someone with insight and knowledge has given us the facts! Thanks for educating the clueless, bro'. I was reading through this thread, and was shocked by the wrong conjectures, misinformation and half-baked theories, that people were flinging around as fact! sad

It is actually the part that refines light crude that is currently working, while the section which refines heavy crude is yet to be functional. And there are refineries that are older than Kaduna Refinery in other parts of the world, that are still working efficiently! It is just a question of following the appropriate maintenance programme at scheduled intervals, and retrofitting obsolete parts, to ensure proper performance. sad

At the time Kaduna refinery was built, there was nothing like pipeline vandalisation. Heavy crude could be imported from foreign countries and pumped through the pipelines to the refinery. The aim was to have adequate petroleum products to cover the North, and reduce shortages in that area, cut logistics cost of moving petroleum products from south to north, and also reduce the risk of accidents associated with road tankers embarking on long distance haulage of petroleum products. undecided

Also, you get more bitumen and asphalt which is used for road construction, after refining heavy crude. The bitumen was expected to be used in the development of roads infrastructure nationwide at the time the refinery was built. undecided The availability of asphalt/bitumen locally, would have reduced cost of construction.

dustydee:

That is not our only requirement. Mind you the refinery also produces petrol and other fuel types. The inability of the Kaduna refinery to functon properly is partly responsible for the collapse of the textile industry in Northern Nigeria (scarcity of LPFO). Ashphalt is only one of the by products of crude. There's a host of other industrial products that can be obtained from crude which are better produced here than imported. And the crude is pumped to the refinery and not trucked. I have worked in a refinery in Nigeria, studied refinery operations and petroleum economics (incidentally the issue of Kaduna refinery was discussed in one of our classes and the conclusion was that it was the right decision to site it there).
That crude is light doesn't mean it suits all your industrial needs otherwise Nigeria will not be struggling to sell her crude in the international market.

Well said!! cheesy Thank you bro' for saying it as it is. Although, a few textile mills that are still working, have converted from LPFO to natural gas, as a source of energy for their operations after overhauling or replacing their boilers. It is a capital intensive project. Those who were unable to do so, closed shop due to a combination of the harsh operating environment and an inability to continue to power their machines using diesel, which is much more expensive as an alternative source of fuel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by slaughter(m): 4:31am On Dec 24, 2015
]
What is our problem in this country? We are the same set of people asking the govt to repair, now they have done that we are still shouting that the refinery is analogue based. Will the government be able to give a digitally controlled refinery that will equally satisfied those conditions under 7months.
I think criticism should be constructive and not otherwise.
The OP actually have some mischief up his sleeves when posting this article
[quote][/quote] Try to get the OP right what he is trying to say is that if you win election with propaganda you can not rule with propaganda. This govt claims that Kaduna refinery is producing 3.5M litres/day just yesterday not knowing that the refinery is obsolete and can not even refine Nigeria crude oil....the worst to happen to Nigeria now is to start importing crude oil again from which ever country..….this is not about wailing or hate for Buhari but statement of fact, this govt should face reality , before lai or lie comes out to say is Jonathan that is making them to buy crude oil from Venezuela grin grin

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by mikolo80: 7:20am On Dec 24, 2015
Sweetguy25:
It is an obsolete refinery that cannot function efficiently and effectively any longer.

Excerpts:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/10/why-fg-should-scrap-kaduna-refinery/

cc: lalasticlala

then sell it.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by khattab02: 10:05am On Dec 24, 2015
MrPresident1:

The wisdom behind establishing the refinery as you have given here, has it been justified?
bros of course na!!!.... It did for so many years before it went down..

1 Like

Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by khattab02: 10:19am On Dec 24, 2015
dustydee:

well done sir! I still don't know why many of them don't know the difference btw Nigerian Crude and Foreign crude? They thought they are all the same.

Even if the refineries are not working, I think it will still be nice for our University and secondary school students to still visit them. To have little knowledge and information about them.
Re: What The NNPC And The FG Would Never Tell You About The Kaduna Refinery by khattab02: 10:35am On Dec 24, 2015
Tequilah:

Hallelujah!! shocked At long last, someone with insight and knowledge has given us the facts! Thanks for educating the clueless, bro'. I was reading through this thread, and was shocked by the wrong conjectures, misinformation and half-baked theories, that people were flinging around as fact! sad

It is actually the part that refines light crude that is currently working, while the section which refines heavy crude is yet to be functional. And there are refineries that are older than Kaduna Refinery in other parts of the world, that are still working efficiently! It is just a question of following the appropriate maintenance programme at scheduled intervals, and retrofitting obsolete parts, to ensure proper performance. sad

At the time Kaduna refinery was built, there was nothing like pipeline vandalisation. Heavy crude could be imported from foreign countries and pumped through the pipelines to the refinery. The aim was to have adequate petroleum products to cover the North, and reduce shortages in that area, cut logistics cost of moving petroleum products from south to north, and also reduce the risk of accidents associated with road tankers embarking on long distance haulage of petroleum products. undecided

Also, you get more bitumen and asphalt which is used for road construction, after refining heavy crude. The bitumen was expected to be used in the development of roads infrastructure nationwide at the time the refinery was built. undecided The availability of asphalt/bitumen locally, would have reduced cost of construction.

Well said!! cheesy Thank you bro' for saying it as it is. Although, a few textile mills that are still working, have converted from LPFO to natural gas, as a source of energy for their operations after overhauling or replacing their boilers. It is a capital intensive project. Those who were unable to do so, closed shop due to a combination of the harsh operating environment and an inability to continue to power their machines using diesel, which is much more expensive as an alternative source of fuel.
bros na u try pass ooooo... Na u give us the real insight and in depth information ooo.... Weldone!

I was so annoyed by the gross misformation and statements that night eh. And was also tired to type the functions of the CDUs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We will Declare Saraki,Melaye Seat Vacant-Akpabio Speak Fire / Fayose Smiling On Arrival At Lagos Court For His Bail Hearing. / Saraki's Travails, APC's Loss And PDP's Gain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.