Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. (31044 Views)

Is It Right For A Married Woman To Be a Close Friend With Single Guy? / Whatsapp Exposes Zimbabwean Man's Affair With Wife’s Much Younger Sister (Pics) / I Saw This Inside My Younger Brothers Bag (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Deefuray(f): 3:24pm On Dec 23, 2015
@op I have a similar experience
Whil growing up I didn't really have a close relationship with my elder sister,I was closer to my brother.
With time the gap widened between us especially as I got into my teenage years, I always felt she was different and judgemental so I maintained my Distance.
She noticed it later and started coming close to me. She made me her friend, and we started understanding each other better. Now despite the age difference we are like 5 and 6

It is not a hard thing. Make your sister's friends your friends. Be her friend. Make her comfortable with you. Know what she likes. Be open to her. Get her stuffs. Go out together. There is nothing like having a bond with your sibling. Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Fabrolistic: 3:25pm On Dec 23, 2015
Thought am the only one facing this problem.
I can even spend two days with my elder sister without having up to 15 words with her.

I feel free when with her friends than she, even when we never had any misunderstanding.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2015
It is normal. It could be her own way of showing respect to you. I have close relationship with my immediate elder brother to the extent that my friends are his and his friends are mine too. But our eldest brothers are so far away from me that I don't know their line of businesses.
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by beloxxi(m): 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2015
NEED A BLOG REALLY BAD THEN SEE IF IT MEETS YOUR REQUIREMENTS https://www.nairaland.com/2819461/buy-adsense-ready-resposive-theme
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by jibril1995: 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2015
All is well
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by misspicy(f): 3:26pm On Dec 23, 2015
I need help on this issue too,though i don't stay with my younger sister,she rarely discuss issues with me only when asking fpr money cry even on whatsapp i always HI her first
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by kelsberg(m): 3:27pm On Dec 23, 2015
Blood thick pass water....[b][/b]
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by sniperwolf(m): 3:27pm On Dec 23, 2015
Start by showing interest on how she is doing academically, then build other interest with her
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
breadandtea:
Hello everyone, this issue has been bothering me for a while now, so I decided to speak up here because I know I would get good 'advises' from people here.

I come from a family of 3 girls (our only brother died when he was less than one), I'm the Eldest (22), the next is 19 and the last is 16. We stay with our parents in Lagos.
I was very close with my immediate younger sister, I still remember many fun times we had together. But our relationship started drifting apart during our secondary school period, we started talking less. I remember I reacted harshly towards her when she used a little of my N100 I was storing for midnight call and things even got worse from that moment.
She joined me in UNIPORT, and we were staying together off-campus. Some times, we barely say more than 50 words to each other in a day, she prefers to gist with our neighbors.

Whenever I see other siblings in my compound, I know something is not just right! We don't even gist normal girly stuffs like boyfriends, makeup, dresses & co, and it really bothers me. We barely even quarrel, I think for the past 3-4 years, we've only quarreled 2 or 3 times.
Though we are both close to our youngest sister.

So please advise me on what to do. Thanks.
some stuff are best kept that way!

LEAVE it that way.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by baby124: 3:33pm On Dec 23, 2015
Ok I am a younger sister. Let me tell you from my perspective if it will help you. Me and my sister have different personalities. She's very carefree and I seem to care a lot. I am constantly cleaning up and covering for her, for things that she knows and doesn't know.
We were very close till everything I tell her enters another person's ear. But regardless she knows I can kill for her. Though I don't think she can.

You may be the problem. Maybe you put a block around you expecting your sister to worship and respect everything about you. You do not respect her or are sympathetic to her needs. When people grow older they become more of friends than uncle and Aunty. Except you prefer your age mates outside your family to be closer to you, than your siblings.
The problem may be that you have abused trust at a point in time when that sibling needed you badly. Call them, apologize and get off your high horse to talk to them more like a friend. Also be very diplomatic and learn to keep their secrets to yourself, till they give you the permission not to.

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 23, 2015
gurunlocker:
can I bring butter to add to your breadandtea

well you are the elder here, just try and talk to her, ask her what is going through her mind and use your mature mind to reconcile and talk better.
and this will be the major problem!

Chould be her junior sister is mature than her due to the way she perceive things.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by veave(f): 3:34pm On Dec 23, 2015
I have two(younger) also.... they both used to complain I didn't like and have time for them....
So I made up my mind I'll be their best friend.... it took a while sha... but that's was the best thing I've done that I'm happy about. A whole lot of letting go of precious personal effects helped tho. Calls, gifts, etc.

I'm way Older than they are but I always buy trumi(12yards) of material and make it for 3 of us... you need to see how happy they always are wearing aso ebi with their aunt *lol... but it worked sha....
I spent money sha, and I'm still spending.... so long as they are happy, I am too

8 Likes

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by odinese(m): 3:36pm On Dec 23, 2015
Fabrolistic:
Thought am the only one facing this problem.
I can even spend two days with my elder sister without having up to 15 words with her.

I feel free when with her friends than she, even when we never had any misunderstanding.

We are on the same shoes... But mine is brothers

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by ratchy: 3:40pm On Dec 23, 2015
that's y am always filled with happiness ,

No younger sister

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Cutehector(m): 3:47pm On Dec 23, 2015
breadandtea:
Hello everyone, this issue has been bothering me for a while now, so I decided to speak up here because I know I would get good 'advises' from people here.

I come from a family of 3 girls (our only brother died when he was less than one), I'm the Eldest (22), the next is 19 and the last is 16. We stay with our parents in Lagos.
I was very close with my immediate younger sister, I still remember many fun times we had together. But our relationship started drifting apart during our secondary school period, we started talking less. I remember I reacted harshly towards her when she used a little of my N100 I was storing for midnight call and things even got worse from that moment.
She joined me in UNIPORT, and we were staying together off-campus. Some times, we barely say more than 50 words to each other in a day, she prefers to gist with our neighbors.

Whenever I see other siblings in my compound, I know something is not just right! We don't even gist normal girly stuffs like boyfriends, makeup, dresses & co, and it really bothers me. We barely even quarrel, I think for the past 3-4 years, we've only quarreled 2 or 3 times.
Though we are both close to our youngest sister.

So please advise me on what to do. Thanks.
communication is a two way thing! She simply doesnt talk to u because u dont talk to her anymore..
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by blessedfavoured: 3:47pm On Dec 23, 2015

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Cutehector(m): 3:48pm On Dec 23, 2015
ratchy:
that's y am always filled with happiness ,

No younger sister
lmao.... I know the feeling grin
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by sisisioge: 3:49pm On Dec 23, 2015
Maybe you wear the big sis logo to often...my younger sis and I have always been 5 and 6. She's 18months younger but everyone start out thinking she's older cos she's bigger and better behaved than me. I sometimes call her mommy sef cos when that girl begin to lawyer me as if she was the chairperson at my chtistianing, me sef dey confuse....but she's my best friend of all time. My back is always covered on her watch...why not? We've been through too much together to forget the same blood that flows in our veins. Mind, we have our own little wars o, but nothing beats our relationship. Thank God she's my baby sis...

Now draw yours closer...you need them, if not now then later. The onus is all on you sweetie.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by MuyiRano(m): 3:50pm On Dec 23, 2015
I promise u @OP I won't say Endtime siblings

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by poshestmina(f): 3:51pm On Dec 23, 2015
Have a heart to heart talk with her .Seems she is afraid of you now cry

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
why do you want to have a close relationship with your younger sister? are you H.o.r.n.y?
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 23, 2015
D@ mins she doesn't c u as a friend. Probably u don't have common interests-but if u do, keep ur ayg one syd(until it is needed) and deal wit ha lyk a friend cool
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by mmalih(m): 3:59pm On Dec 23, 2015
to me am also a first born in my family, sometimes is like that but is your duty to call her and ask her if u offend her anywhere that d way your relationship is is just right. and try to let her understand y is nt good to continue in that way. Dis my advice
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 23, 2015
A lot has been said on this already, but I feel inclined to chip in that u shouldn't always act like a big sister. Yes. Sometimes, u should condescend to her level. Relate with her like u're age mates, the way she'd relate with her friends. Don't be too conscious of urself, such that u keep reminding urself at every point in time that u're the older one.

Be more concerned about her affairs... In a caring way, that doesn't seem offensive or overbearing. Go out of ur way to do little things for her. I have two younger sisters and a younger brother. The age gap is far enough. But we relate very well. There are times I scold them surely, but they never hold it against me, because of the closely knit cordial relationship we've built over the years.

N. B. U've got to be consistent with this. Don't give up on her all too soon if she isn't being immediately cooperative.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by passionate88: 4:06pm On Dec 23, 2015
Girls angry angry angry angry angry
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by xexy: 4:17pm On Dec 23, 2015
you should be her sister first before been her friend u get it :-Xyou should be her sister first before been her friend u get it
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by damwise(f): 4:19pm On Dec 23, 2015
It is bad and not right.. I remember my dad died so early but thank God for love in our family... We sent ourselves to school.. I worked to pay for my elder bro fees and now he's ready to pay for my master.... What if something bad happened... When u rili need ur sis... Stop been childish... Pls do bring back love cause you might cry for it later
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 23, 2015
end time relationship..

end time family
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by falseman(m): 4:25pm On Dec 23, 2015
Lolz one has introverted personality the other doesn't. I had this same issue with my elder brother when we lived together my introverted personal was just a mess
Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by falseman(m): 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2015
damwise:
It is bad and not right.. I remember my dad died so early but thank God for love in our family... We sent ourselves to school.. I worked to pay for my elder bro fees and now he's ready to pay for my master.... What if something bad happened... When u rili need ur sis... Stop been childish... Pls do bring back love cause you might cry for it later

You don't get it. Believe me they will kill for each other when something wrong happens it's just that the sisterly flow isn't there.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by Chommieblaq(f): 4:27pm On Dec 23, 2015
It's common among immediate siblings.

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. by MuyiRano(m): 4:31pm On Dec 23, 2015
misspicy:
I need help on this issue too,though i don't stay with my younger sister,she rarely discuss issues with me only when asking fpr money cry even on whatsapp i always HI her first

Okun o Iye

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Don't Have Any Female Friends Again Because Of My Wife / Why Women Are The Weaker Sex And What Men's Roles Are. / I Made My Ex-girlfriend(who Is Now A Single Mother) A Deal, Would You Take It ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.