Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,164 members, 7,835,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? (53023 Views)

Registrar, Oloyede Reveals What Exposed Corruption In JAMB / Lecturer Dismissed For Exposing Corruption In Yabatech / NISDEBATE: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 9:17pm On Dec 27, 2015
Neyoor:

Ofcourse I'm not but this is a clear deficiency from the side of the judges.

Haba! I witnessed the last edition and I really salute the doggedness of the Judges that officiated the debates. They cited the errors and mistakes made by the debaters and they took their time to give veracious results.

This one that we are just seeing results without analysis and how the judges failed to notice the word count is what I still don't understand.

Because of @Bolded you should not have made such discouraging statement sir,. This is just an opening stage and it is a test for our newly selected judges. So I want you to trust our judgement and this can only be better, by you just pointing them out with prove,which TEAM UNIJOS did.. ..
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 9:18pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:
Hmm. UNIUYO played on the judges intelligence, I think the competition is still on and they should be penalized for it. I know ''mindless lifting'' as someone referred to it is against the debate rules. I enjoin u to device the best punishment for that debater. U're a fair moderator, thanks for ur effort.

Noted...
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by obiZEAL(m): 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Sigh...
Lolz...Fynest no be say na talk... una don try die, u and them Amina...I can imagine combining the coordination of this debate with ur daily personal engagements...Biggups boss!!!
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Pulling out? Are you new in this?

If this is how others that pointed out one error or two had been pulling out, will there be third edition?

This debate is getting stronger day by day, and it is impossible for we not to have challenges. Suggesting such to your team mate speaks volume of how you treat issues... Smh..

It is not a matter of treating issues with an impatient or controversial manner but this is actually a debate we took our time to prepare and put things in place for.

It would be a slap on the face of the 3 judges for none of them not notice such glaring and exorbitant error.

When he first told me, I asked him to be patient for us to hear from the judges first before raising any alarm and they've displayed to us now..............
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by KingTom(m): 9:20pm On Dec 27, 2015
Just got out of surgery. I sympathize with the aggrieved I really do, having cross checked the post I understand your complaints. I will go over it again.

3 Likes

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 27, 2015
Tourshaw:

I can't hold my temper anymore. At moderator fynestboi, I think there's inequality in your judgement. first, there are 3 judges, how will your only judgement overpower the other two?
Secondly, I asked you on the chatting room if mindless lifting is allowed but you didn't answer. The best debater to you Sir, the guy from Uniuyo did mindless lifting and yet you said he is the best. I write this just for you to be mindful of the integrity of this competition. You may be thinking, it's just a trivial pursuit but to us, it means a lot. I had restless days and sleepless nights just because of this competition. Your last judgement singlehandedly ruined the integrity of this e-debate. I just want you to look at the Uniuyo guy debate and a naij.com post https://www.naij.com/402850-top-12-corruption-cases.html
you will understand me better what I mean by mindless lifting

Calm down Bro.

Fynestboi only collated the results sent in by the judges and looking at the varied results given by the judges, it is obvious there was no collusion.

Yes, the guy lifted that list from the website, but importantly he referenced the website where he lifted it from....meaning that he properly attributed the material to the source.

Now, I felt his essay was easily the poorest of the eight submitted as the lifting did not in any way help his piece. It was verbose, absolutely unnecessary, and only made his essay look like a treatise. That was why I personally scored him so low. Had it been I was able to give my usual comments, I would have pointed that out to him.

Should he be disqualified; personally I'd say No. He did not lift the WHOLE essay, as I presume the introduction and the rest of the essay (after the end of the copied list) were written by him unless proven otherwise. He lifted a part of the essay, but he referenced it properly.

Should he have been scored low; personally I'd say Yes. However different judges can not all judge the same way. I can only defend the marks I gave based on my appraisal of each essay using the criteria given, I can't speak for others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Because of @Bolded you should not have made such discouraging statement sir,. This is just an opening stage and it is a test for our newly selected judges. So I want you to trust our judgement and this can only be better, by you just pointing them out with prove,which TEAM UNIJOS did.. ..

All is well. I've made my point clear as I can.

"Our lives end the day we become silent about
things that matter"

Shalom!
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 9:27pm On Dec 27, 2015
Neyoor:

It is not a matter of treating issues with an impatient or controversial manner but this is actually a debate we took our time to prepare and put things in place for.

It would be a slap on the face of the 3 judges for none of them not notice such glaring and exorbitant error.

When he first told me, I asked him to be patient for us to hear from the judges first before raising any alarm and they've displayed to us now..............

The judges I believed were coming up with something, it is not easy reading up 8essays, it will be rectify......

One of the judges displayed clearly in his result, that Dongraspo deserves to be penalize. So we understand your plight and it will be looked into...

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 9:31pm On Dec 27, 2015
Neyoor:

things that matter"

Shalom!

Thanks for making it known...
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Aminat508(f): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
Neyoor:

things that matter"

Shalom!
Thanks

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 27, 2015
Olalerey

You had a very good essay, but as good as it was, reading it was a chore. No space, no paragraph, it was just all jumbled up. You didn't even seperate your references from the main body.

There is a reason why lawyers use numbered paragraphs in written addresses, you know. Makes it easier to follow your essay.

Try and take a look at the essays written by Tourshaw and Geestary and compare the looks with yours.

Nice effort though.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 27, 2015
ObiZEAL

The depth of research that you put into your essay shows clearly and is very commendable. Great effort.

However, I think you should be careful in using the materials that you get from your research so that you don't overdo it. At some point your essay was starting to look more like something written as a treatise rather than a debate.
I felt the place where you were listing the types of public institutions we have in Nigeria was unnecessary. Sometimes less is more.

Also you wrote that section 308 of the constitution confers impunity on leaders rather than immunity. It might have been a typographical error but it stuck out for me as that word changes the import of that section. Section 308 doesn't mean that elected leaders can act with impunity. Next time, you might want to go over essay one last time to correct tiny but significant typos.

Your essay can also do with a bit more spacing.

Great piece though. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Dongraspo(m): 9:59pm On Dec 27, 2015
My name is AKANINYENE PAUL ARCHIBONG,I want to respond to various petitions against my writeup.
I am accused of mindless lifting,i dont understand, when you say mindless lifting you mean that everything i wrote was not from my brain which of course is a very faulty accusation because you certainly dont know me or my credentials to judge me in that manner,please someone should take a cursory look at my debate,the only lifting is the 11 examples of corruption in the last four years,This is something that happened and i was aware,all i needed was the details,so i go in search of them.
The reason why the organisers asked us for references was because they expected us to go into deep research and reference whatever we discover and wrote down and that is what i did.This is a matter of research, i did my homework,compiled my debate,strain my brain,miss important engagements,miss my meals,miss even church service to put this together and someone who is bitter because he lost is claiming am a cheat,have you ever gone on a debate before? Dont you know that in any debate,you are required to research deeply and deliver,dont you know that even the judges knows that everything you will say is not yours,that few out of the many is copyright, you just put it to prove your point....What is the point of REFERENCES if we where to get everything from our head.TELL EVERYBODY HERE,Was everything,i mean 100% of what you wrote from your head,if YES,then youre lying because you referenced the writeup,meaning that you copied someone,somewhere...my brother,nobody is an island of knowledge...to end this,i pray you take defeat in good faith as a good Nigerian.
On the word count,i apologize...it skip my mind while writing the debate due to the passion and conviction that leaders are to blame for this devilish menace called corruption and not followers like you and me...This a football match and the whistle as been blown,a big thank you to all our supporters,SEE YOU AT THE NEXT LEVEL
God bless Teamuniuyo! God bless Nairaland!! God bless Uniuyo!!! God bless Nigeria!!!!

Akaninyene Archibong

4 Likes

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2015
cheesy
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Dongraspo(m): 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2015
My name is AKANINYENE PAUL ARCHIBONG,I want to respond to various petitions against my writeup.
I am accused of mindless lifting,i dont understand, when you say mindless lifting you mean that everything i wrote was not from my brain which of course is a very faulty accusation because you certainly dont know me or my credentials to judge me in that manner,please someone should take a cursory look at my debate,the only lifting is the 11 examples of corruption in the last four years,This is something that happened and i was aware,all i needed was the details,so i go in search of them.
The reason why the organisers asked us for references was because they expected us to go into deep research and reference whatever we discover and wrote down and that is what i did.This is a matter of research, i did my homework,compiled my debate,strain my brain,miss important engagements,miss my meals,miss even church service to put this together and someone who is bitter because he lost is claiming am a cheat,have you ever gone on a debate before? Dont you know that in any debate,you are required to research deeply and deliver,dont you know that even the judges knows that everything you will say is not yours,that few out of the many is copyright, you just put it to prove your point....What is the point of REFERENCES if we where to get everything from our head.TELL EVERYBODY HERE,Was everything,i mean 100% of what you wrote from your head,if YES,then youre lying because you referenced the writeup,meaning that you copied someone,somewhere...my brother,nobody is an island of knowledge...to end this,i pray you take defeat in good faith as a good Nigerian.
On the word count,i apologize...it skip my mind while writing the debate due to the passion and conviction that leaders are to blame for this devilish menace called corruption and not followers like you and me...This a football match and the whistle as been blown,a big thank you to all our supporters,SEE YOU AT THE NEXT LEVEL
God bless Teamuniuyo! God bless Nairaland!! God bless Uniuyo!!! God bless Nigeria!!!!

Akaninyene Archibong
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by KingTom(m): 10:06pm On Dec 27, 2015
noskyboy:
i think the judges (1 and 3) should please carefully read the essays again, pay attention to important details and give proper scores. and i think Dongraspo's essay can be liken to a lazy blogger who just copy and past, and funny enough the judges 1 and 3 gave him unbelievable high scores. we should discourage copy and paste and reward hard work and creativity.
I admit I made a mistake as far the word count is concerned but believe me. I gave him that score not based on the headlines he posted but on the overall essay. In fact if you take out the alledged copy and paste headlines you would still get a very respectable essay. Looking at the way I scored them you could see that almost everyone got "unbelievably high scores" with the exception of a particular candidate whose scored a low grade because I didn't particularly enjoy his essay, it was lumped together and looked like something hurriedly constructed. Once again I sympathize with the aggrieved but as it stands, what I have written I have written, that can only be changed by disqualification which isn't exactly an option since he cited the source.

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 27, 2015
Neyoor:

Ofcourse I'm not but this is a clear deficiency from the side of the judges.

Haba! I witnessed the last edition and I really salute the doggedness of the Judges that officiated the debates. They cited the errors and mistakes made by the debaters and they took their time to give veracious results.

This one that we are just seeing results without analysis and how the judges failed to notice the word count is what I still don't understand.
Apart from that, 90% of some people essay is filled with references without cracking their brains to bring something new. undecided

We need Jarus, Obinoscopy, UjSizzle, Caracta, Jaybee3, MaziOmenuko et al

2 Likes

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by noskyboy(m): 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
KingTom:
I admit I made a mistake as far the word count is concerned but believe me. I gave him that score not based on the headlines he posted but on the overall essay. In fact if you take out the alledged copy and paste headlines you would still get a very respectable essay. Looking at the way I scored them you could see that almost everyone got "unbelievably high scores" with the exception of a particular candidate whose scored a low grade because I didn't particularly enjoy his essay, it was lumped together and looked like something hurriedly constructed. Once again I sympathize with the aggrieved but as it stands, what I have written I have written, that can only be changed by disqualification which isn't exactly an option since he cited the source.
more than 80% of that essay was coped and pasted, and it was filled with mere examples of corrupt cases, no proper analyses as to why leaders should be blamed for corruption. my take tho. anyhow sha, na una show. make una run am as una want. thanks for your time.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by noskyboy(m): 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
KingTom:
more than 80% of that essay was coped and pasted, and it was filled with mere examples of corrupt cases, no proper analysis as to why leaders should be blamed for corruption. my take tho. anyhow sha, na una show. make una run am as una want. thanks for your time.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:
Ooooo have seen it, copy and paste without editing....
With editing isn't right, either.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Geestarry(f): 10:25pm On Dec 27, 2015
Normally, I would have reserved my comments but I wish to express myself on this platform. No participant/contestant is permitted to play judge/moderator. Participants are first expected to respect the authority of the day, and as such, any reservations should be presented orderly and not coaxed into being effected.
The art of threatening too pull out from the debate is already grounds for disqualification. Participants are expected to be able to respect and comport themselves if their concerns would be considered. No matter how right a claim is, if it is not duly represented, it could be disregarded on grounds of contempt. And if the moderator and judges review the scores without reprimanding the plaintiffs for their manner [in public especially], then participants for subsequent editions could/would be expected to throw stones at each other or even fight like the members of the Nigerian House of Representatives.
Besides, someone said "UniUyo" played on the judges intelligence, that's an undue accusation/summation. One person did, not every member of the Uniuyo team, and if anyone has to lay complaints, he/she should do so in a very polite manner.

There is life beyond this competition. In as much as we are here to build our intellectual prowess, we also have to build character. The real aim of this competition will be defeated if we remain at loggerheads. Thank you very much. Shalom

By the way, The judge's decision is final.

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by KingTom(m): 10:27pm On Dec 27, 2015
noskyboy:

more than 80% of that essay was coped and pasted, and it was filled with mere examples of corrupt cases, no proper analysis as to why leaders should be blamed for corruption. my take tho. anyhow sha, na una show. make una run am as una want. thanks for your time.
once again I apologize if you feel robbed. Consider it as one of those things, you did well today and made your school proud.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
FrancisTony:

Apart from that, 90% of some people essay is filled with references without cracking their brains to bring something new. undecided
We need Jarus, Obinoscopy, UjSizzle, Caracta, Jaybee3, MaziOmenuko et al

Just take your time to peruse the previous editions, especially last edition.

Hidentity is also a judge a respect a lot.

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Tourshaw: 10:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
Dongraspo:
The reason why the organisers asked us for references was because they expected us to go into deep research and reference whatever we discover and wrote down and that is what i did.This is a matter of research, i did my homework,compiled my debate,strain my brain,miss important engagements,miss my meals,miss even church service to put this together and someone who is bitter because he lost is claiming am a cheat,have you ever gone on a debate before? Dont you know that in any debate,you are required to research deeply and deliver,dont you know that even the judges knows that everything you will say is not yours,that few out of the many is copyright, you just put it to prove your point....What is the point of REFERENCES if we where to get everything from our head.TELL EVERYBODY HERE,Was everything,i mean 100% of what you wrote from your head,if YES,then youre lying because you referenced the writeup,meaning that you copied someone,somewhere...my brother,nobody is an island of knowledge...to end this,i pray you take defeat in good faith as a good Nigerian. God bless Teamuniuyo! God bless Nairaland!! God bless Uniuyo!!! God bless Nigeria!!!!

Akaninyene Archibong

Oga, with due respect, point of corrections, you were not accused of mindless lifting, rather you mindlessly lifted about 90% of your essay. actually I don't know what you are you mean by saying, u just researched the 11 points. You lifted an essay and claiming your brain was the one at work. If what you lifted were to be deducted from your own part, what do you think you have left? The size of your brain? I don't know what prompted you to be claiming you are a deserved winner and thinking you can escape the minor plagiarism you did. In fact, sorry to say, you are part of corruption crippling our country
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by noskyboy(m): 10:33pm On Dec 27, 2015
Tourshaw:

Oga, with due respect, point of corrections, you were not accused of mindless lifting, rather you mindlessly lifted about 90% of your essay. actually I don't know what you are you mean by saying, u just researched the 11 points. You lifted an essay and claiming your brain was the one at work. If what you lifted were to be deducted from your own part, what do you think you have left? The size of your brain? I don't know what prompted you to be claiming you are a deserved winner and thinking you can escape the minor plagiarism you did. In fact, sorry to say, you are part of corruption crippling our country
hehehe. well said
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Dongraspo(m): 10:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
noskyboy:

more than 80% of that essay was coped and pasted, and it was filled with mere examples of corrupt cases, no proper analyses as to why leaders should be blamed for corruption. my take tho. anyhow sha, na una show. make una run am as una want. thanks for your time.

Thank you sir for your personal opinion but you really need to reread the writeup....
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Dongraspo(m): 10:41pm On Dec 27, 2015
Tourshaw:

Sir,Just lifting a mere 11 examples is 90% of my work,its funny tho the way some people think...please,attack my points and not my person because like i said nobody here knows me_you know,i feel your pain,its normal i have been there before-people attack the best players even Jesus,not everyone loves him...Thank you for your personal opinion,i appreciate and hope we meet again
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by graciousolo(m): 10:43pm On Dec 27, 2015
KingTom:
Let's agree with the cited part.

But, Sir what of the fact that his essay beat the maximum word count? Isn't that against a rule?

What will be the punishment for that?
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 27, 2015
I won't waste my time cracking brains in the second round. Just copy and paste, edit and reference it. O tan!
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 27, 2015
Hmmmn! Let me just shelve my comment.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 10:48pm On Dec 27, 2015
FrancisTony:
I won't waste my time cracking brains in the second round.
Just copy and paste, edit and reference it. O tan!

Then God helping you Jarus and Adeaks as the judges..
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 27, 2015
Tourshaw:

See the guy making mouth again because he was not penalized.

Just leave him jare. It is not his fault now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Proposed Pegans School Uniform In Osun State / Photo: This Is Called Creativity! / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.