Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,199 members, 7,835,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? (53025 Views)

Registrar, Oloyede Reveals What Exposed Corruption In JAMB / Lecturer Dismissed For Exposing Corruption In Yabatech / NISDEBATE: Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by sammyscholar(m): 10:47am On Dec 28, 2015
Dongraspo:

I could not ask for a better team mate,i dedicate my trophy as the best player(given by the judges) to you and i pray that the INJUSTICE done to us might not repeat itself during the course of this championship.On the issue of playing on judges intelligence, how will i,a 19yr old,300L law student,play on the intelligence of full grown graduates of different field,aint that absurd_my dear ignore the wailing wailers who cant attack issues but persons,it shows how poor their level of maturity and education is,lest before i forget-A big thank you to all the mature reasonable people who commented or didnt,I appreciate and also to team U.I,It was a great battle you guys did excellently...I hope to see you guys at next years edition of Bamidele Aturu Moot Court Competition cheesy
your choice of words is quite agrressive bro. Just take things easy.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 10:50am On Dec 28, 2015
undecided
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by anonimi: 10:51am On Dec 28, 2015

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 10:52am On Dec 28, 2015
OAUTemitayo:
Write to corporate organisations na. They will be happy to support the debate of the most popular forum in Africa.
Don't know if Seun will agree to that sha

It Is not. They support volunteerly if they wish to...

Lol.....
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 10:53am On Dec 28, 2015
obiZEAL:
haba, wetin won come remain again now....please just deduct 5marks each + they are first time offenders... fynest think am now
modified
i think u and fynestboi should look into this again, its too extreme...u have no idea what this will do to the debaters involved.

Noted.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by martineverest(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2015
I wonder y nigerians are very fast at calling their leaders corrupt,when average nigerian is a thief.corruption is deeply rooted in the genes of average nigerians...the way corruption is been nurtured is alaming
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 11:14am On Dec 28, 2015
martineverest:
I wonder y nigerians are very fast at calling their leaders corrupt,when average nigerian is a thief.corruption is deeply rooted in the genes of average nigerians...the way corruption is been nurtured is alaming
therefore?
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by luxanne(f): 11:21am On Dec 28, 2015
Geestarry:
Thank you (Chief) Moderator and the Judges for the opportunity and the lessons learnt so far.

In homes, children roll on the floor in protest to their parents, scatter things, in fact break things in the act just so that parents would listen to them. They grow up to understand they really would have just said it nicely and their parents either still would have provided what they wanted or had very good reasons not to -at the times the demands were made.

I believe representatives in the essay competition are University Undergrads, but this whole "public show" of bitterness as expressed in their language tells how far the oil has run from the head to the beard.

"Well, it is not too late for us to pull out of this contest if the integrity of the contest is questionable..." Excuse me, but threatening to leave the competition can be condoned at all? When it is not like your observations have been overlooked or unattended to? Then maybe footballers should fight the referees in most matches. And the subsequent ..."Pulling out? Are you new in this? If this is how others that pointed out one error or two had been pulling out, will there be third edition?..." was unnecessary, sincerely. Sounded too desperate to keep people in the competition. I would have assured him of a review of the score and in turn implore to comport himself, it is a competition amd threats are not allowed by participants, unless otherwise I am wrong.

Plus, "Hmm. UNIUYO played on the judges intelligence, I think the competition is still on and they should be penalized for it......" is an undue and incorrect summation; it is NOT a fact. UniUyo DID NOT do this, if a team member "lifted", the penalty should affect his personal scores as did one of the judges already [this by extension would affect the team's score]. I believe deducting from the grand totals was extreme. If the judges were asked to review his (the lifter's) marks, that would have been more appropriate. Deducting from the grand total implies two things:

a) That you ALSO deducted from his team mate's score who's essay (write-ups) was not faulted by any other contestant because she was careful to observe ALL the rules to the extent that she gave her word-count at the end of her essay. The judges are humans and no other person gave their word count to help them (the judges).

b) Even the score from the judge that had penalized him already has been affected the second time. This implies a double deduction from his score. Please, did he commit murder?

MY SUGGESTION
1. I could simply ask, what was the mark allotted for "word count"? That could be deducted from the dfaulters' score by the two other judges.

2. Lifting is subject to the judges' analysis. That should be personal for each judge to decide to the extent to which the scores they alloted him would be review. Unless there was an already laid down rule/standard, then and only then, would the judges come together, review the essay in question and agree upon WHETHER THE ACCUSED IS GUILTY for which the rule would be excuted.

If there was no laid down rule on this, upon deciding his fate, the judges MUST in turn consider all my observations above as a matter of tranparency in making a decision.

I must commend every input made by everyone in "the house". It seems we all presented our concerns more appropriately after my first observation; this goes a long in affirming how ready we are to do the right, if only our attentions are drawn and we are afforded the opporrunity to make amends.

Please, do not attack my person as a result of this, I am not enbittered by the second Grand Total Scores, I have just made my sincere observations, patiently walking through the very long "thread" of words.

Thank you

Good morning dear debater,

You've written beautifullly well devoid of invectives and your suggestions have been noted.

@Point b, the judge who penalized your team member did not penalize him on a word count basis.

@Number 1, 5 points deducted is the penalty for defaulters and we have 3 judges grading this debate hence, 5 points was deducted from each judges scores on the offence. The grand total was gotten from the computation of both team innit, hence deducting your team points will certainly affect the grand total or not?

This is a team work and whatever offence a team commits, unfortunately rubs in on the other, reason why you need to work together, cross checking each other works to avoid this from happening.

@No 2, the only laid down rule on lifting is quoting or citing the reference from whence the information was copied from which your team member did, reason why I did not penalize him, his only penalty was on the word count which was a laid down rule he faulted.

Finally, I want to applaud you and everyone who wrote by the rules. This competition will surely get better and all lapses attended to.

Thank you.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by noskyboy(m): 11:25am On Dec 28, 2015
fynestboi, luxanne and all. in as much as the new result favours unijos which I rep, I think 15 marks reduction is very harsh considering the work the debaters may have put into the work. I am a debater and if am treated with such harshness, I may be discouraged. pls. be more considerate. thanks for taking time to address the issue.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by luxanne(f): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2015
obiZEAL:
haba, wetin won come remain again now....please just deduct 5marks each + they are first time offenders... fynest think am now
modified
i think u and fynestboi should look into this again, its too extreme...u have no idea what this will do to the debaters involved.

Bear in mind that 3 judges graded this debate and if they were to penalize these teams, they will be doing that personally. However, in future occurences, I agree with you that the marks should be looked into.

Just work with the laid down rules and you won't be found wanting OK?

Good morning smiley
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by luxanne(f): 11:33am On Dec 28, 2015
noskyboy:
fynestboi, luxanne and all. in as much as the new result favours unijos which I rep, I think 15 marks reduction is very harsh considering the work the debaters may have put into the work. I am a debater and if am treated with such harshness, I may be discouraged. pls. be more considerate. thanks for taking time to address the issue.

I just gave ObiZeal this response smiley

luxanne:

Bear in mind that 3 judges graded this debate and if they were to penalize these teams, they will be doing that personally. However, in future occurences, I agree with you that the marks should be looked into.

Just work with the laid down rules and you won't be found wanting OK?

Good morning smiley
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Tourshaw: 11:33am On Dec 28, 2015
[B] stupidity [/B]
pls express yourself like a learned fellow.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Thollulope(m): 11:46am On Dec 28, 2015
We out
thanks to contestants, u tried
tho its painful,afta studying,editing and sleepless nyt, having such deduction, because of word count yh the judges hav made dier decision
My failure here doesnt make me a loser
gracias
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 28, 2015
I believe the episode for today will still go as scheduled ?

Cc Fynestboi
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 11:49am On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:
I believe the episode for today will still go as scheduled ?

Cc Fynestboi
Yes sir...

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 11:50am On Dec 28, 2015
Thollulope:
We out
tho its painful,afta studying,editing and sleepless nyt, having such deduction, because of word count yh the judges hav made dier decision
gracias

Check your mail....
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by luxanne(f): 11:52am On Dec 28, 2015
Thollulope:
We out
gracias

With all you wrote on your essays, it will be silly for anyone to call you a failure smiley

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by sammyscholar(m): 11:52am On Dec 28, 2015
Thollulope:
We out
gracias
I believe you still stand a chance, @teamUI. All fates would be known after tomorrow's debates. Greetings from teamIBpoly.

1 Like

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 11:56am On Dec 28, 2015
sammyscholar:
I believe you still stand a chance, @teamUI. All fates would be known after tomorrow's debates. Greetings from teamIBpoly.

cool ABi ooo
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 28, 2015
Thollulope:
We out
gracia

Left to me, your team made the best submission and the 1st two judges even scored you for that but the 3rd judge came with a result that is odd and weird and that changed everything.

I salute your perseverance and doggedness. Just that...........

2 Likes

Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by omojeesu(m): 12:35pm On Dec 28, 2015
fattbabakay:
Corruption is a societal evil crippling our country Nigeria; who takes the most blame- our leaders or the followers?

Jogs by the sideline as he awaits the announcement of the commencement. That is a Nairaland Debate Competition Team 6 member getting ready for the event at large.

Now the wait is almost over as the essay submission thread is right here.

Team 6 members are to come here with their literary weapons and exhibit their argumentative prowess towards the topic "Corruption is a societal evil crippling our country Nigeria; who takes the most blame, our leaders or the followers?".

UNIUYO, Nairaland University and UNIJOS shield the Leaders while

UNILORIN, and UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN will support the Followers.

Judges: KingTom, adeaks
Coordinator: Fattbabakay
Date: 27th December
Time: 4pm

Do not miss this...

Both are to blame, but leaders more because they are to show good examples of honesty and transparency. They are also to reward and punish followers accordingly.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
omojeesu:

Both are to blame, but leaders more because they are to show good examples of honesty and transparency. They are also to reward and punish followers accordingly.

But bro don't you think a corrupt follower will in turn actualize into a corrupt leader?
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by j1mmy: 12:54pm On Dec 28, 2015
followers!

The citizens selected and allowed the leaders to operate the way they do!
The citizen behave like the leaders.
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2015
j1mmy:
followers!

The citizens selected and allowed the leaders to operate the way they do!
The citizen behave like the leaders.

Followers? If you say followers what's the measure put in place by the leaders to apprehend corrupt followers?
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by j1mmy: 1:07pm On Dec 28, 2015
Fynestboi:

Followers? If you say followers what's the measure put in place by the leaders to apprehend corrupt followers?

Your comment is disgraceful, and very 3rd world.
-Leaders are selected by the people, for the people. If the leaders cannot do what they promised it is the responsibility of the people to remove them.
-Citizens ensure leaders build strong institutions, like measures in place to apprehend corruption, if the leaders cannot they are removed.
-Nigerian citizens allow criminals into government then expect the same criminals to put measure for fighting corruption, SEE THE IRONY

I don't know how to explain this to you but I have a feeling you won't understand no matter how I try!
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by Fynestboi: 1:09pm On Dec 28, 2015
j1mmy:

Your comment is disgraceful, and very 3rd world.
-Leaders are selected by the people, for the people. If the leaders cannot do what they promised it is the responsibility of the people to remove them.
-Citizens ensure leaders build strong institutions, like measures in place to apprehend corruption, if the leaders cannot they are removed.
-Nigerian citizens allow criminals into government then expect the same criminals to put measure for fighting corruption, SEE THE IRONY

I don't know how to explain this to you but I have a feeling you won't understand no matter how I try!

#Argumentum ad hominen#

I can't continue with you sir. You already flawed the above....
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by God2man(m): 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
I would like to commend the owner of this forum for this debate.

Pls, allow me to contribute briefly.

Leaders are to be held responsible for the high level of corruption in Nigeria.

Who is a leader?

A leader is one who has special influence on his people. He must know the way, goes the way and he has to show the way. He is the light. He has with him the touch light and the lantern in his hands.
A good leader will always see ahead. Without looking ahead or having a great vision, a leader is worthless.
Besides, he must set realistic goals with zeal, courage and determination to actualize them.

It is unfair to blame the followers. The followers are only following the path of the light. That is we are doing what our leaders are showing to us.

It is so sad, now that the followers have seen more than enough, the followers are now working together with the leaders to bring this nation down.

God2man
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by omojeesu(m): 1:56pm On Dec 28, 2015
Fynestboi:

But bro don't you think a corrupt follower will in turn actualize into a corrupt leader?

Yes I do think so.

But to whom much is given, much is expected / required / demanded.

Leadership demands trust and responsibility.

But a good follower should emulate only good qualities of a leader, not the bad ones!
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by haruna99: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
I feel both the leaders and the followers are to be blamed. Though the leaders has about 80% of the blame, because they are the ones driving the vehicle and the followers that are on the pasanger seat has to to resist when your driver is taking you to a wrong destination
Re: NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? by ojosegun2011(m): 3:17pm On Dec 28, 2015
Both of them carry the blame. If leaders are corrupt and followers react against it, corruption will be extinct but in a situation that followers support corrupt leaders because of stipends and favouritsm the blames go to both of them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photo: This Is Called Creativity! / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba / Bishop Oyedepo's Landmark University In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.