Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,582 members, 7,823,519 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway (64948 Views)

Church Forbids Wife From Sleeping With Hubby Over Holy Communion / 12 Things The Bible Forbids But We Still Do And Consider Normal / 10 Things The Holy Book Teaches About Fornication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by CoolUsername: 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2015
omojeesu:

No, we are not. This passage, again, is purely OT. It can NEVER nullify the salvation Christ wrought for any man!

Are you implying that we can cherry-pick the Old Testament rules as we like?

Matthew 5:18-19
For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth
disappear, not the smallest letter, not the
least stroke of a pen, will by any means
disappear from the Law until everything is
accomplished.
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of
the least of these commands and teaches
others accordingly will be called least in
the kingdom of heaven, but whoever
practices and teaches these commands
will be called great in the kingdom of
heaven.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by erumena(m): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fear God and do his will, Jesus is Lord!
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by prela(f): 7:24pm On Dec 27, 2015
jrerico1:
2) Braiding your hair:

1Timothy 2:9
"likewise, I want women to adore themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments. "
adorning themselves with good deeds is what d bible says. It says it. Must be done modestly, decently. The bible didn't strike it out that one must not do it @ all.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by HarUrDeji(m): 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2015
SirWere:
And when people call the bible outdated, people will start shouting "son of the devil".
just as your username implies, Mad Indeed!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by djmadridal: 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2015
Jn 14:25-26
25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
(ESV)

Note from the passage that Christ could not teach them everything, because of the level of their knowledge.
He wouldn't rush the curriculum. There is no essence teaching men what they would not comprehend.
Most of these explanations, you need to depend on the Spirit of God for understanding. There are many things you would not seem to figure right if the above instances are explained.

Answer to it all is this:
1. Get saved from the destruction of this world
2. Attend Bible studies.
3. Make sure you go to a sound biblical church.
4. God bless.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by Phens(m): 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
jrerico1:
2) Braiding your hair:

1Timothy 2:9
"likewise, I want women to adore themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments. "
well that verse actually means that the adornment of women shouldn't be physical alone, but the secret person of the heart.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by remzytimer: 7:54pm On Dec 27, 2015
menesheh:
If anybody ever say that the old testament is meant for the jews, and that most, instead of all the old testament practices are not viable today have these questions to answer

1. Why did jesus said that he came to fulfill the old testament laws instead of saying he came to amend or abolish such laws.

2. Does that means that god is inconsistent and fallible by issuing out laws initially and amending it later via a presumed son.

3. Why did pastors and priests Pick and choose verses in the old testament that they need each time especially the tithe part and criticizes others practices not compatible with the new testament gospel.

4. Why not choke out the old testament entirely out of the Christian holy book and leave them to the sole owners, the jews, instead of confusing yourselves with both.

5. Which criteria do you actually apply to know the part that are still relevant and the one that are not since the bible didn't compile list of leftie ones.

6. Why the fucck must you even care what the Bible gat to offer since people don't remember those bible tenets whenever they want to do their thing, and also since Nigeria Constitution don't punish you for doing those things. Infact laws not adhere to and still no punishment afterwards are irrelevant and have zero bearing on our day to day life endeavors.

So i urge everyone to do his/her thing and forget laws made by ancient and naive medieval men to control its population, of which, it served as a constitution to them then. They lacked objectivity when compiling those laws of which they have no good and valid reasons and justifications why you shouldn't do those things.

pls are you a Christian and what kind of Christian are you ?
Christianity without knowledge is risky, your observation above shows that you need knowledge and i will recommend you for WOFBI @ Living Faith Church anywhere close to you, this is not invitation for you to be a member just to have answer to your questions! Remember (Hosea 4:6).
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by menesheh(m): 8:14pm On Dec 27, 2015
remzytimer:

pls are you a Christian and what kind of Christian are you ?
Christianity without knowledge is risky, your observation above shows that you need knowledge and i will recommend you for WOFBI @ Living Faith Church anywhere close to you, this is not invitation for you to be a member just to have answer to your questions! Remember (Hosea 4:6).

First of all, you don't know the meaning of knowledge. I advice you to pick up dictionary and check it up.

Am not a Christian. Am a humanist. Why should i care what the living faith church has to say?
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by Oluboonmi(f): 8:37pm On Dec 27, 2015
I agree with that your third point is in the bible, but I'd like to let you know that women of those days were usually uneducated as men then. So, they ask questions which can cause distractions, hence they were to ask their husbands at home. If women are not to talk in churches today, then why are women called by God to serve? May God give us wisdom
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by onyowo(f): 8:55pm On Dec 27, 2015
Number 2 ohhhh....chaaiiiii
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by gbodimowo(m): 9:33pm On Dec 27, 2015
Dhilariousdandy:
[i][/i]
number, 2,3,5 total rubbish
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by Orosotare(m): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2015
heaven is really had to make
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by frank317: 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2015
danidee10:

No it's not

Hmmm... So a Christian does not actually require to pay tithe?
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by danidee10(m): 10:16pm On Dec 27, 2015
frank317:

Hmmm... So a Christian does not actually require to pay tithe?

Yeah...it's not required, it was part of the mosaic law and christians are not bound by it...if not u for dey sacrifice cow everytime...pple just brought and emphasized it Cuz of their own selfish needs...it's good but not compulsory

1 Like

Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 10:17pm On Dec 27, 2015
menesheh:
If anybody ever say that the old testament is meant for the jews, and that most, instead of all the old testament practices are not viable today have these questions to answer

1. Why did jesus said that he came to fulfill the old testament laws instead of saying he came to amend or abolish such laws.

2. Does that means that god is inconsistent and fallible by issuing out laws initially and amending it later via a presumed son.

3. Why did pastors and priests Pick and choose verses in the old testament that they need each time especially the tithe part and criticizes others practices not compatible with the new testament gospel.

4. Why not choke out the old testament entirely out of the Christian holy book and leave them to the sole owners, the jews, instead of confusing yourselves with both.

5. Which criteria do you actually apply to know the part that are still relevant and the one that are not since the bible didn't compile list of leftie ones.

6. Why the fucck must you even care what the Bible gat to offer since people don't remember those bible tenets whenever they want to do their thing, and also since Nigeria Constitution don't punish you for doing those things. Infact laws not adhere to and still no punishment afterwards are irrelevant and have zero bearing on our day to day life endeavors.

So i urge everyone to do his/her thing and forget laws made by ancient and naive medieval men to control its population, of which, it served as a constitution to them then. They lacked objectivity when compiling those laws of which they have no good and valid reasons and justifications why you shouldn't do those things.
wats ur point?? Act as if there aint a God?? Or dump the bible in a trashcan because its an old book?....dont seem to get u man....
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by menesheh(m): 10:28pm On Dec 27, 2015
goodnewscliff:
wats ur point?? Act as if there aint a God?? Or dump the bible in a trashcan because its an old book?....dont seem to get u man....

Reread
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 10:31pm On Dec 27, 2015
Oluboonmi:
I agree with that your third point is in the bible, but I'd like to let you know that women of those days were usually uneducated as men then. So, they ask questions which can cause distractions, hence they were to ask their husbands at home. If women are not to talk in churches today, then why are women called by God to serve? May God give us wisdom
man....it is boldly written in d bible that false prophet will mislead many...andda at 1timothy 2:11,12 and 1corinthians 14:34,35,there it was clearly stipulated that a womans position in the church is to keep silent but to be in subjection 2 their husbands...if u see d reverse practically,knw dat d church is something elseee...follow #bible standards#not humans
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by poik(m): 10:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
menesheh:

The answer you need is Amos 3.7 for the Lord God will do nothing, but He reveals His secrets to His servants the prophets.

When it comes to interpreting the Scriptures, the carnal mind will always fumble because Holy men spake as they were inspired by the Holy Ghost, according to 2Peter 1. In this matter, really some aspects of the Old Testament have been abolished while some are magnified by grace, just as Christ said. interpretation of the Word of God can only come correctly through a God-sent prophet messenger. It happens in every age, the Prophet William Branham is the prophet to this age.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 10:47pm On Dec 27, 2015
menesheh:

Reread
mehn...u goin crazy...dat bible u talking about...apart from the fact dat it is a spiritual book, it contains practical wisdom, talks about creation,fulfilling prophecies,scientifically acurate,hold historical record,talks abt the past present and future....having a clue is not enof to conclude or acting to what u heard man.....the bible is so handy and at ur disposal....#read# man
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by menesheh(m): 11:03pm On Dec 27, 2015
goodnewscliff:
mehn... u goin crazy ...dat bible u talking about...apart from the fact dat it is a spiritual book, it contains practical wisdom, talks about creation,fulfilling prophecies,scientifically acurate,hold historical record,talks abt the past present and future....having a clue is not enof to conclude or acting to what u heard man.....the bible is so handy and at ur disposal....#read# man

You may possibly not be well versed more than me about what the Bible gat to offer. I may not have the chance to start explaining to you how vague and untrue those fulfilled prophecies you're presupposing are.

My thing is that whenever you are ready to investigate whether or not your beliefs are true, we have the Internet at this stage in human history that helps to fast track contrasting ideas, knowledge, and logics behind all these arguments about the bible, god, and myths.

And one last thing is that whenever you're quoting me or replicating my comments, don't use abusive words like the one i highlighted above. It deters rational and mature discussion.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 11:41pm On Dec 27, 2015
menesheh:

You may possibly not be well versed more than me about what the Bible gat to offer. I may not have the chance to start explaining to you how vague and untrue those fulfilled prophecies you're presupposing are.

My thing is that whenever you are ready to investigate whether or not your beliefs are true, we have the Internet at this stage in human history that helps to fast track contrasting ideas, knowledge, and logics behind all these arguments about the bible, god, and myths.

And one last thing is that whenever you're quoting me or replicating my comments, don't use abusive words like the one i highlighted above. It deters rational and mature discussion.

lolz....this isnt an argument dude...done all that stuffs, internet stuff, personal researches all my entire life and denying d fact that there aint a GOD is denying nature.....this is nt a competition, u re so far away from 'being versed' man...not an insult but a fact....now isnt the time to start proving u knw much dan i do cos frm ur points, seems i initially rated u...and talking abt prophecies, which of em u got a problem wif??gat dates,data,and logical reasoning to share...the humble ones irrespective of their status learn alot
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by Bobnotrouble: 11:59pm On Dec 27, 2015
Sounds like Islamic teachings.
More Muslims obey these more than the Christians.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by damesilver(m): 11:59pm On Dec 27, 2015
harristo:

It is up to you as a christian whether you are bound by the law or you enjoy the freedom that Jesus christ brought to us.

Behold, God is not mocked. Only he who lives in the laws of His Creator is really free. Christ said that whatever a man sows that he shall reap.
He said again that not all those who call him Lord Lord shall enter into the Heavenly Kingdom but only he who does the Will of the Father.
Paul the apostle also charged that shall we continue in sin and expect grace to abound!

A man came to Christ and asked what good thing he shall do in order to inherit eternal life. Christ replied that "if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Mathew 19 vs 16. He could probably have told the man that don't worry, just ask for forgiveness in my name and you are free. It is puzzling and more so unsettling where the so-called preachers of truth found the messianic teaching of freedom from the law and forgiveness in the name of Christ. Just like that? How easy would it then be for everybody to saunter through to paradise!

Don't men think? Are these false teachings making rounds today not another dastardly crucifixion of Jesus, the very Son of the Almighty God? Jesus said in other passages that on the last day many will say they did wonders in His Name and He will say to them: "I know ye not ye workers of iniquities."

What all these point at is that there is no arbitrariness in the scheme of the Almighty Creator and His Creation. Everything is orderly, based on law. Not the defective man-made mundane laws. These laws are the pillars that hold creation from the very beginning and till eternity. They are inexorable, immutable, flawless, adamant, infallible and perfect.

They do not need the opinion of human beings, whose existence themselves are the product of these laws, in order to discharge their duties. If some cult or group of people have arisen propagating purchasable salvation, free-flowing grace and all-embracing forgiveness of sins, as long as they are obedient to the church tenets, confess in the death of Christ and believe in Him, they are building bridges for many to eternal damnation, which means to be cast out from all Light.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Many people will like to sin unpunished; and this is the bait the churches use today to further the evil work of the Antichrist- Lucifer. I urge you and anyone reading this to examine what he has been taught up till now and see if it leads to the luminous truth.

God wants human beings who stand bright and alert in His creation, living consciously and fully aware of the immense responsibility they bear for everything they think and do. He does not want weaklings, idlers, enthusiasts, drones, who love only to grasp at anything free, as long as it demands no self-exertion but enjoyment of splendid ease, comfort and entertainment.

Snapped out of this delirium for it is a broad and easy road that leads no where but darkness, desolation and destruction. The laws are not there for decoration or self adulation to prove that He is the Almighty.

The commandments are mere pieces of advice to us and are no command as a burden at all. They are the true friends we could ever have, and as simple as simply to Love. All we need is the strength to follow through. We need to pray for help to guide us onto the right path and not to be led astray. We need to pray fervently for strength to do battle with the forces acting against us to do the great will of God.

Pushing aside the thought of responsibility is not helpful. It will only make us slide further down unto wrong path. This is not the will of God. If we certainly want to enjoy God, expect blessings from Him and hope to enter His eternal Kingdom, there can be no other way than to do His Will.

Regards.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 12:16am On Dec 28, 2015
menesheh:

apologies if i hit a nerve.....if u ve gat any bible-related question dat seems too difficult to find and may want to make u conclude that d bible is a clueless,old-fashioned book, then u havent started yet...same on the ''internet'' u previously tweeted abt, u can visit JW.ORG website AND FIND ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS wit factful data, logical reasoning,scriptural backings and info and thank God and me later man.....bible is the best book ever...it is the a precious gift from the author,#God#
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 12:21am On Dec 28, 2015
if uve gat any bible-related questions dat are too difficult to find and may want to make u conclude that d bible is a clueless,old-fashioned book, then u havent started yet...on the internet, u can visit JW.ORG website AND FIND ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS wit factful data, logical reasoning,scriptural backings and info.....bible is the best book ever...it is the a precious gift from the author,#God#
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by menesheh(m): 12:40am On Dec 28, 2015
goodnewscliff:
lolz....this isnt an argument dude...done all that stuffs, internet stuff, personal researches all my entire life and denying d fact that there aint a GOD is denying nature.....this is nt a competition, u re so far away from 'being versed' man...not an insult but a fact....now isnt the time to start proving u knw much dan i do cos frm ur points, seems i initially rated u...and talking abt prophecies, which of em u got a problem wif??gat dates,data,and logical reasoning to share...the humble ones irrespective of their status learn alot

So what's your best reasons and justification for believing a god or the god may possibly exist?

Why do think the whole bible stories and events are historically accurate and all other holy and divine claims of the same sort may be false (despite you've never claim that) the likes of Quran?

And how do you know that the bible's authorship was really from an unseen monster in the sky?
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 12:51am On Dec 28, 2015
menesheh:

So what's your best reasons and justification for believing a god or the god may possibly exist?

And why do think the whole bible stories and events are historically accurate and all other holy and divine claims of the same sort may be false (despite you've never claim that) the likes of Quran?
let me give u a glimpse...as to science? When man had conflicting thought abt d shape of d earth, the bible though written a long time ago scriptured at isaiah 40:20 refers 2 d shape of the earth to a circle or sphere..when modern science was yet to find its way, people believed d earth to be hanging on 2 elephants and a huge tortoise...but d bible long ago at job 26:7 accurately said that d earth hangs on nothing......scientifical accuracy of the bible...
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by goodnewscliff(m): 1:27am On Dec 28, 2015
menesheh:

Why do think the whole bible stories and events are historically accurate and all other holy and divine claims of the same sort may be false (despite you've never claim that) the likes of Quran?

And how do you know that the bible's authorship was really from an unseen monster in the sky?
when it comes to prophecy,consider an example.through the prophet isaiah, who lived in the eighth century b.c.e., JEHOVAH foretold that the city of babylon would be destroyed at isaiah 13:19;14:22and 23..details were given to just show how this would happen....invading armies would dry up babylons river and march into the city without a battle.that is not all.isaiahs prophecy even named the king who would conquer babylon-cyrus in isaiah 44:27 to 45: 2.....some 200 years later on the night of october 5/6, 539 b.c.e.-an army encamped near babylon and the commanders name was cyrus.this stage was thus set for the fulfillment of an amazing prophecy but would cyrus invade babylon without a battle, as foretold? The baby lonians were holding a festival that night and felt secure behind their massive city wall meanwhile cyrus cleverly diverted d waters that flowed through the city.soon the waters were shallow 4 his men to cross the riverbed and approached d walls of the city. But hw did cyrus and his men get past babylons walls...for some reason the doors were carelessly left open....regarding babylon, it was fortold according to isaiah 13:20 that she will never be inhabited nor will she reside 4 generation after generations and there the arab will not pitch his tent.......that prophecy did more than predict a citys fall. It shows dat babylon would b desolated permanently YOU CAN SEE THE EVIDENCE OF THE FULFILLMENT OF THES WORDS.THE UNINHABITED SITE OF ANCIENT BABYLON-ABOUT 50 MILES SOUTH OF BAGHDAD, IRAQ IS PROOF THAT WHAT GOD SPOKE THROUGH ISAIAH HAS BEEN FULFILLED" i will sweep her with the broom of annihilation at isaiah 14:22 and 23
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by harristo(m): 1:56am On Dec 28, 2015
damesilver:

Behold, God is not mocked. Only he who lives in the laws of His Creator is really free. Christ said that whatever a man sows that he shall reap.

Paul the apostle also charged that shall we continue in sin and expect grace to abound!

A man came to Christ and asked what good thing he shall do in order to inherit eternal life. Christ replied that "if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Mathew 19 vs 16. He could probably have told the man that don't worry, just ask for forgiveness in my name and you are free.

The commandments are mere pieces of advice to us and are no command as a burden at all. They are the true friends we could ever have, and as simple as simply to Love. All we need is the strength to follow through. We need to pray for help to guide us onto the right path and not to be led astray. We need to pray fervently for strength to do battle with the forces acting against us to do the great will of God.

Regards.

No one is saying freedom from the law is freedom to break the law. Freedom from the law simply means freedom from being burdened by the law.
Well Jesus christ didn't come to abolish the law, but to prove that humans can fulfill the law with the Spirit of God working in them. And if we truly believe in Him we won't be burdened by / worried about fulfilling the law and simply walk by the spirit.

Christians who worry about fulfilling every tenets of the law are simply causing themselves unnecessary headaches. Walk by the spirit / walk in love and the law will be fulfilled in you.
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by omojeesu(m): 6:33am On Dec 28, 2015
CoolUsername:

Are you implying that we can cherry-pick the Old Testament rules as we like?

Matthew 5:18-19
For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth
disappear, not the smallest letter, not the
least stroke of a pen, will by any means
disappear from the Law until everything is
accomplished.
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of
the least of these commands and teaches
others accordingly will be called least in
the kingdom of heaven, but whoever
practices and teaches these commands
will be called great in the kingdom of
heaven.

Yes, we can and should, in fact cherry-pick which OT law to obey!

The Law has 3 main components: Ceremonial / ritualistic, moral and civil. The first essentially deals with worship, notably temple worship e.g. animal sacrifice, ceremonial cleansings, food items approved or not, no graven image, approved clothing, etc The second deals with human relationships e.g. thou shall not kill, steal, etc while the third generally emanates from the second to manage societal peace.

Jesus lived under the OT and perfectly fulfilled the Law. No one did before Him. It was impossible to even do so by any man then and after and now. Not only that. With authority and finality, He gave proper interpretation and understanding to the law correcting many wrong notions the religious leaders of the time gave the people.

Jesus put and end to the law namely the ceremonies and rituals. The moral laws are eternal. They sum up in Love of fellow humans, neighbours and enemies alike.

The material composition of clothes worn is immaterial to a person's salvation and relationship with God under the GRACE in the NT. (just as whether you eat pork or not won't affect God)
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by Stanbeto: 7:29am On Dec 28, 2015
Baba God help us o
Re: 7 Things The Bible Forbids, But We Do Anyway by StreamerBlogger: 7:42am On Dec 28, 2015
jrerico1:
7) Tattoos:

leviticus 19:28
" ya shall not make any cuttings in the flesh of the dead, nor print any marks upon you, I am the Lord
dis 1 specifically said to morn d dead

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"You Will Die" - Johnson Suleiman To El-Rufai (Video) / Winners Chapel, Canaanland - The Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? (Pics, Video) / Pastor Oyemade Disagrees With Oyedepo, Oyakhilome On The Closure Of Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.