Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,222 members, 7,836,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

No To Getting A Car Because Am Single - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / No To Getting A Car Because Am Single (44494 Views)

Getting A Divorce In A Court Registry Marriage.Lawyers' advice needed. / Pls Help!! What Are The Legal Implications Of Getting A Woman Pregnant / Getting A Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Vikky014(f): 9:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
Cutehector:
she just aint my type... cheesy.. U should see agbani darego wink
LOL. so u r nt among #teamcurvyladies#? good for u
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Analysiscorner: 9:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
Miaraka:
OP, it's true. it's not easy for most men to approach a woman who appears to be above them in terms of status. They get intimidated. If you decide to buy a car, buy one a second hand low class vehicle and even bang it with a hummer here and there to provoke most men's provider instinct and loving kindness or make them want work to hard and make money to buy you a better one. The thing is, most normal men are born with the burning desire to provide for and protect their women and children. Now, if you can afford a car, something which costs more than clothes and furniture to buy, maintain and insure, a certain group of men and I guess they are in the majority, will feel robbed of their provider instict and will be asking themselves how do you afford this one, how do you maintain her and what kind of present can you buy to put a smile on her face? Your relatives, may have other motives in advising you not to buy a car. but believe me, they are telling you the truth. I know many women, here in SA, who can confirm what I'm telling you. Buy yourself a car, if you want, but let it be cheap, not a show stopper. Buy something which is just good enough to take you from point A to B.
Please, don't advise her to buy a car that will give her wahala.
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Cutehector(m): 9:43pm On Dec 26, 2015
Vikky014:
LOL. so u r nt among #teamcurvyladies#? good for u
since wen did linda become curvy..babe if u see her unclothedness, u will see alot of flabs grin

1 Like

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by martineverest(m): 9:44pm On Dec 26, 2015
Skmoda360:

Thats true bt my opinion is that contemporary men are scared of big girls cuz they think the chance of dating them are slim but i can use myself as an example that i got my girl as simple as a girl could be but i still insist it's not fun when a woman spend too much on a guy, you'll lose ur stand as a man and ur prestige will be downsided.
I get your point, but what matters most is the mindset. The question is: What makes u a man?. The ability to put any situation under your control using wisdom and understanding is what makes a man complete. Whether she is richer or not, your attitude and actions determines who is the head.

I took a cue from brothers-in-law whose wives(my elder sisters) are all richer than them. Sometimes, when I visit them,I take into cognizance the way my in-laws handle situations... My sisters are very submissive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Analysiscorner: 9:49pm On Dec 26, 2015
Skmoda360:

Thats true bt my opinion is that contemporary men are scared of big girls cuz they think the chance of dating them are slim but i can use myself as an example that i got my girl as simple as a girl could be but i still insist it's not fun when a woman spend too much on a guy, you'll lose ur stand as a man and ur prestige will be downsided.
An elderly man that cared so much for me advised me against relying on the money of a potential spouse. He is now late, but I still remember those words.

4 Likes

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Vikky014(f): 9:53pm On Dec 26, 2015
Cutehector:
since wen did linda become curvy..babe if u see her unclothedness, u will see alot of flabs grin
Lol. so my eyes hv been deceiving me? ok then enjoy urslf as u enter into the gold digging business tongue

1 Like

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 26, 2015
Hahaaha!

Ok, i don't get certain things here. But before i go on, i would like to reiterate my point to the op that she should do as it pleases her.

But op, i want you to take not of that which you might not be taking note of.

Alot of the men here suddenly are now 'real' men who are not intimedated by successful women hence they speak in such condescending tone against 'inferior' men and in support of 'modern' civilization. But if these men are not intimedated and are now 'modern', who then are those men out there who are not intimedated? Are the men here not the same ones out there? If they are now 'modern' like they are now claiming to be, why then are the likes of Genevieve not married? Oh, they don't like Genevieve?

So the question now is....why do these men come online and say something, but when they go out there, they behave differently? The answer is: feminist shaming and attacking of male psychology. No body wants to be seen as a non real man.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by HIDDENSECRECY: 10:04pm On Dec 26, 2015
omotohdarajugbogbolo:
Really appreciate and value everyone's response.

For those saying I should invest in landed properties, I already have a 3bedroom flat and about to buy another land.

Please am not going to reply pms. Anything to be discussed should be here.

Thanks and Godbless smiley

Is unfortunate how inconsiderate the opinions of people are as seen in lots of bias comments from people. None of those kicking against your decision to buy a car put into consideration your personal well-being, emotional, psychological and physical stress of going to work everyday. Life is too short girl, your happiness is paramount and more important than the feeling & opinions of people.

Beauty attracts a man but character keeps him!!!

Hey Girl!!! Go for your car baby and make life comfortable for yourself. You work hard to make your money, you need not stress yourself too to spend your money.

"Don't listen to what people are thinking about you, because they are thinking it anyhow". Les Brown

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by profosenogoboy: 10:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
Buy a car if you can afford it nothing rong about it but

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by lakkexide: 10:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
Its just a black man thinking that says that[/quote]

Yes... It's a black man's reasoning scope in black man's world where she lives... Girl listen to your family advice.
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by kesses: 10:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
i totally disagree with you.
Eleniyan15:
CAPITAL YES

DON'T GET A CAR YET

TAKE CHILL PILL NAH

MAKE BETTER NIGGA COME

BUH IT YOUR CHOICE THOUGH!!!

JUST DO WHAT IS RIGHT AT THE RIGHT TIME
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by ceejaysimple(m): 10:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
My dear, you know what your family background is like and the society you live in cos what is obtainable in a standard society( say US) might just be farfetched here in naija. From the way you popped the question, it appears your family isn't too financially buoyant (cos if it were, buying a car wouldn't have been an issue) ...owing to this, it goes a long way to tell the kinda people you meet on a daily basis + family connect (in Phyno's voice). The conventional african man wants to always feel like the boss and mind you getting a car comes with attitude to befit car ownership( many WILL feel intimidated) ....babe, husband scarce oh! apply wisdom as WISDOM is profitable to direct.

2 Likes

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by kesses: 10:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
sister please can you buy the car already
omotohdarajugbogbolo:
Good day fam,

I really need your advice on something.

I am a lady in my late twenties and I work with a multinational company here in Lagos.
This is my third year on the job and I know I need a car now.

Now here's the issue; my siblings think that getting a car is a bad idea. Why? Cos am single.

My beloved brother said it would push men away from me shocked

Please does this not sound myopic? I really don't get it.

House how do you see this cos I feel down right now. sad

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by profosenogoboy: 10:10pm On Dec 26, 2015
Buy a car if you can
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
vinxlegend:
Getting a car will make most African men to believe you are married already or you are in a serious relationship wch is expected to lead to marriage so they would not want to waste their time approaching you in the first place, even if they are 10times richer than you, is not because of low self esteem but it just come naturally. Ladies will say is only a guy with low esteem that will think that way but little did you know that many things come to the mind of a man seeing a lady for the first time and no man want to waste his time approaching a lady that he has impression that she will reject him. Let me give you an example, a lady was in a bus with a guy the guy had in his mind that he will approach the lady in order to know her maybe from there a good relationship can start, immediately the guy try to introduce himself to the lady and ask the lady some personal question the guy end the conversation, you will want to ask me why? Because the lady is already working as a pharmacist and the guy is still a student, the first thing that came to his mind is she already in a serious relationship wch is not true, is only a man that know you before that will be willing to approach you, if you happen to be in men's shoe I bet you will have the same feeling about a lady that own a car especially if the car is an exotic car. But you are to take the decision that will favor you. My advice for you is that if you're already in a serious relationship that you believe will lead to marriage, you can get yourself a car but if not I advise against it.

a billion likes to this. Did you see the other two posts i have on this thread? You may click on my profil to find that out.

1 Like

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Purposebabe(f): 10:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
wakes:
Go buy a car.

Abeg, I be JJC for nairaland, formally a Guest. Who is this LALASTICALA ICALA
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 26, 2015
omotohdarajugbogbolo:
Good day fam,

I am a lady in my late twenties and I work with a multinational company here in Lagos.

Now here's the issue; my siblings think that getting a car is a bad idea. Why? Cos am single.

When okada hit you ..that money you dey save Na 1 week dem go share and chop am finish .

Keep waiting for imaginary man.
You can't love yourself, I wonder how you will love another .

Good job yet you dey hide money for bank.
Your mates have tenants already.
Mtweeeew

2 Likes

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by bukatyne(f): 10:18pm On Dec 26, 2015
omotohdarajugbogbolo:
Good day fam,

@OP:

It is obvious you desire a relationship/marriage so here I go....

In the three years you have worked, no meaningful relationship out of your place of work/worship?

My friends & I have this joke that if you do not meet someone before working, (especially time consuming), it is difficult meeting someone (male & female), this is a joke but you get the gist.

I do not know your weekly schedule but the places of meeting men are limited (work, place of worship, seminars/training/workshops & neighbourhood) except you are into arrangee marriage stuff.

If you do mostly in-house/exclusive trainings, then the places are reduced.

Since 3 years no relationship from your office then let's face the neighborhood...

What kind of area do you stay? Is your place of worship in that area? What is obtainable there?

As per Atiku's daughters having cars.... The type of men they married probably had planes and everyone knows who Atiku is.

There are different expectations per class... Atiku's son might value a woman who drives well and is extremely business savvy than a very good cook; Sanusi Lamido's son might prefer a woman with blue blood to one who can kneel for Africa... A pastor might value a prayerful and hospitable wife over one with a big butt...

Think deep about the pool of men around you and decide what is best for you.

4 Likes

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by bukatyne(f): 10:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
craziebone:
Hahaaha!

Ok, i don't get certain things here. But before i go on, i would like to reiterate my point to the op that she should do as it pleases her.

But op, i want you to take not of that which you might not be taking note of.

Alot of the men here suddenly are now 'real' men who are not intimedated by successful women hence they speak in such condescending tone against 'inferior' men and in support of 'modern' civilization. But if these men are not intimedated and are now 'modern', who then are those men out there who are not intimedated? Are the men here not the same ones out there? If they are now 'modern' like they are now claiming to be, why then are the likes of Genevieve not married? Oh, they don't like Genevieve?

So the question now is....why do these men come online and say something, but when they go out there, they behave differently? The answer is: feminist shaming and attacking of male psychology. No body wants to be seen as a non real man.

Feminism no go kill you

Compliments of the season
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
Is it a Nigerian men thing to not prefer 'successful women'? Well, here is a piece from the American huffington post. I disagree with some of the assertions here though.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2043795
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by mickey45: 10:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
ronald4lif:
Absolute bunkum. Any man who would feel intimidated coz you own a car has self-esteem issues and you don't need such a man in your life. They are usually vicious, aggressive and potential women beaters. So I say, if getting one will distance such men from you then go for it.

Your relatives are living in the past and are yet to come to terms that career driven independent woman is the new sexy and indeed every real man's dream.

Wanted to tell her exactly, the same thing.
Bravo!
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
bukatyne:

Feminism no go kill you

Compliments of the season

same to you, my dear. E no fit.

Ok, maybe i will stop refering to it as feminism but man-hate. There are those who are feminist but not man-haters.

You need to understand what these people do, then you will understand why some people have to stand up to them.

1 Like

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by chyket(m): 10:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
This is really not a big deal because if your company decides to give you an official car,will you still seek people's opinion before you accept it?because a lot of ladies are currently cruising around in unbranded official cars.
A Guy who really cares for you will not really care about if you ate driving a car or not.
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 26, 2015
The first one is from the US, i've found another one from the UK.

http://m.independent.ie/life/are-men-really-intimidated-by-successful-women-31112027.html

1 Like

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by bukatyne(f): 10:56pm On Dec 26, 2015
craziebone:

same to you, my dear. E no fit.

Ok, maybe i will stop refering to it as feminism but man-hate. There are those who are feminist but not man-haters.

You need to understand what these people do, then you will understand why some people have to stand up to them.

Man-hate is the word you need.

I see the definition of feminism and identified with it. Man-hate? count me out.

But again, some people talk without in-depth thought. I know someone who has achieved so much and is feared/respected company wide yet she 'believes' men are superior to women.

Yet, when she is giving assignments, she expects same results lipsrsealed
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by obie206(m): 11:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
Idrismusty97:
What kind of silly logic is this? If getting a car will chase men away from you then you should be thankful. Those men/boys aren't even worth your time. I would have insult the people that inject that silly logic in your head if only they aren't your family.
Yeah di*khead, I suppose you'll supply her with a husband when she enters voicemail! STFU, all you can say is sorry and even gossip! Let her marry Nigerian specs, not your fantasy specs!

3 Likes

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by tamquezee(m): 11:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
Yes but only the low self-esteem guys
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by MichaelChaplain: 11:10pm On Dec 26, 2015
emmadejust:

it will not chase men away, but you need to put your attitude and appearance in consideration , also environment matters

getting a moderate car for your day to day activities and comfort is not a bad idea. Your attitude should not go sour with the arrival of the car oooooooooo

De Chaplain just opined
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by nkemdi89(f): 11:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
ronald4lif:

Insecurity is the exact word. The type of man that would feel intimidated by a woman with car is exactly the same type she doesn't need.
Yes I agree with you.
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by nkemdi89(f): 11:15pm On Dec 26, 2015
CFCman:

It's the same mentality that stops many Naija ladies from renting an apartment or even owning a home.
A lady, working in a multinational company and earning N300,000 to N500,000/month would be hesitant to move out of her parents place because of a man's 'ego'
Men should learn to view most of these things as secondary aspect of life, for someone like me that left my parents at 17 to another state and stay on my because of my job I got, the first question is always if I stay alone. In developed at 18 children are emancipated from their parents.
Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Folksyharry(m): 11:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
oglalasioux:

Get the car. Remain humble and polite. Pray for God's favour and guidance. The car can never prevent the man of your dreams to come to you.

I don't understand why this post got few likes. It's just straight to the point

2 Likes

Re: No To Getting A Car Because Am Single by Eleniyan15: 11:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
kesses:
i totally disagree with you.

everyone is entitled to his/her opinion

so kindly check the comment button and drop your say there , don't come here and start claiming Mr ITK

lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

How Often Should Couples Have Sex? / My Brother's Girlfriend Has Finally Charmed Him, Help Me Ooo / Children Surprise Their Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.