Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? (57028 Views)

Buhari’s Plans For Niger Delta, Militants — Osinbajo / Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Is Next For SE Nigeria? / Senate To Suspend Two Senators Sworn In for Niger South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by zuchyblink(m): 7:04am On Dec 31, 2015
jascon1:
very biased analysis.
when I was 10, I was told my grandpa sold his goods in the Onitsha market. I visited back in 2009 and when I compared pictures of Onitsha in the 70ies to images I saw, I wept. Onitsha could have been China of Nigeria, rather China is imported to Onitsha. You called it a brainbox? What i saw was a box, then where is the brain? A federal university situated in Awka could have sprung development, but no. No tourist will spend his cash to visit Anambra. Investors are mainly indigenous people, and their manufacturing factories and head offices are in Lagos or China. So where is the brain? The market has no roads, no roofs nor standard built shops. What I saw was cubicles and litters all over the places.
Don't cry for ND. Cry for yourself. ND has rubber which was one of our major exports, the oil will be in much need till the world ends, they have agriculture, they are on the coastline, they got fishing and a sea port. Way ahead of Anambra state.
ND doesn't survive on oil, instead the oil pollutes their survival. The money don't get to the people, they hustle their way. Ever asked where the supplies Onitsha brings from China go?
Before u cough, try dredging your river and try some development.
Money to sustain Abuja? You did ask that? Is a capital and need I say more?
Don't cry for Lagos, cos u depend on it to survive. Cry for yourself.
Don't cry for kano, and other northern states cos before the oil, the north was lucrative. They hold your belly. They are very commercial in their crafts. My sorry is fory Igbo brothers who have built their empires away from home. Your investments have enriched others and raped your sustenance in the east.
If u can't see it, then hear it
why are u making it an igbo vs Nigeria affair? Ur post is the joke of the year. Go and ask people of NE what they are undergoing for putting their investments in one basket. If it gets hard in North America;igbos in Asia will strive;if it gets hard in SE;igbos in SW will strive;if it gets hard in NC;Igbos in SS will strive. For the facts that our innvestment cuts across the globe is an advantage and not a disadvantage.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by mapet: 7:40am On Dec 31, 2015
asorocker:
The decline of the oil industry is going to be worse on the states of Lagos and kano.

Lagos because an analysis of the igr of Lagos shows that Lagos derived it's revenue from the income tax and the income tax bulk is from the oil workers whose offices are in Lagos.
The oil and gas component of the Lagos igr is more than 40% of the igr. Income tax paid by high earning oil and gas industry executive who gross average of N5m monthly has helped Lagos

Did you smoke something just before typing this rubbish and falsehood? That you've never been to Lagos is not in doubt, but the brazen way you concucted these lies is amusing.

40% of Lagos revenue from Oil companies? You must be a big blockhead to believe, yet write such falsehood.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by repogirl(f): 7:48am On Dec 31, 2015
Bryan37:
It's no news that only 13% of 2016 budget will be funded by the SALE of Crude

Which means that Nigeria is gradually diversifying its economy away from the Oil sector which is expected to even "nose down more". By d time Iran starts pumping their Oil into the international Market, also with d demand for cleaner energy rising day by day and d Cost becoming cheaper and cheaper, I can tell u that in d Next 20 yrs a bucket of Clean water may worth more than a bucket of toxic crude.

What will become of ND a report that has been raped by the Nigeria Government for the past 10 decade

I keep wondering if d OIL was a gift or a curse to this region which made them so Lazy, Corrupt and underdeveloped. Infact d most popular Slogan in d Niger Delta is " our oyel".

The only time ND man is considered in the scheme of things in Nigeria is compensation because of their Oil. Eg emergence of Goodluck Jonathan etc,

Now that the value is gradually diminishing and d reseRve trying, you wonder if this region has done enough or if they are prepared for the storm coming their way.

I must confess, am happy we re moving away from Oil and you are happy too but what will become of our brothers who only relevant is dependent on CRUDE

Have you been to the Niger Delta? You should be asking what will happen to the Northern states and the whole of Nigeria now that there is no oil money because everyone else benefitted the most from the oyel money far greater than the Niger Deltans.

FYI, laziness is not what stopped the Niger Deltans from being productive.... Maybe you are quite ignorant of the issues like pollution due to Oil spills and no assistance from government.....get your facts straight and stop asking rubbish!
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by mapet: 7:56am On Dec 31, 2015
Dedetwo:

omonnakoda: :
That is your own perception.You folk alway delude yourselves you are better than everyone else.
Are you more of a hustler than the Fulani who walks from Sokoto to PH with his cows facing hostile humans and beasts on the way? Leave that self indulgent Ibo tale for your village entertainment. Everyone hustles in the way that they have aptitude for. The fact of the matter is the greatest economic activity in Nigeria today more than oil or anything else is agriculture. That is an indisputable fact. Now what do Ibos contribute to agriculture in Nigeria? Instead you continue making empty boasts about how Onitsha market is the largest in the Milky Wayand the US Army buys drones there.

Once again Agriculture accounts for more than 70% of Nigerian economy .What is the Ibo contribution?

Per the bolded, if the people are so deluded one wonders where is the source of fear that grips most Nigerians on the slightest hint that Biafrans want to leave Nigeria. Most Nigerians are deadly dishonest and it makes one of the reasons Nigeria is perpetually backward. Have you be kicked out of sanitarium hence vomiting this crap on NL?

As much as I like to shy away from a needless "Biafra" discussion, I need to submit that part of the dellusion of you lot is the thinking that ".fear grips most Nigerians on the slightest hint that Biafrans wants to leave Nigeria". This is tantamount to fooling yourselves over.

First off, I have shared Dr. Teriba's analysis and clamour on the decline on the economic viability of the eastern states, when virtually all the human capital are scattered all over the world

Secondly, what are you taking away that Nigerians should be afraid. You do not own Oil, Coal is not an impressive or cheap option for power. The "neomanufacturing" that Aba was known for, you practically abandoned.

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by kevinhacker(m): 8:06am On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

No INCH of Rivers state is Igbo! Get used to it or Go and "you know the rest"

PS: You are NOT from Rivers state. I've seen lots of impostors already!

Bye-byeeeeeeeeeeee grin
GUY abeg I be confirm IGBO MAN from IKWERE oooooo!!!!!!!! I doubt if your truly ss or your using that for POLITICS

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by freedom96: 8:43am On Dec 31, 2015
NakedEve:

Islam is directly proportional to violence and violence is directly proportional to underdevelopment in the region.
So it is safe to say Islam brings underdevelopment cos there must always be violence.
Very dumb post.Is it islam that's responsible for your having a moniker that sounds ashawo like?If u get raped for having such a silly moniker and bring into the world touts,armed robbers etc,is islam also to blame?Is islam responsible for the baby factories down east?Is islam responsible for the underdevelopment of countries that have major religion as christianity?Have some sense pls....religious bigot! fulanimafia does your sharing of her post means u agree with wat she said?

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by fulanimafia: 8:51am On Dec 31, 2015
freedom96:
Very dumb post.Is it islam that's responsible for your having a moniker that sounds ashawo like?If u get raped for having such a silly moniker and bring into the world touts,armed robbers etc,is islam also to blame?Is islam responsible for the baby factories down east?Is islam responsible for the underdevelopment of countries that have major religion as christianity?Have some sense pls....religious bigot! fulanimafia does your sharing of her post means u agree with wat she said?

Her understanding of Islam is clearly limited, and most likely informed by the perceptions developed as a result of terrorism furthered deceitfully in the name of Islam.

Based on that foundation, her assertion that violence/terror is interlinked with underdevelopment is actually rational, logical and true as can be seen by the situation in the North East today.

I've trained myself to pick the value in any comment and discard the trash that comes with it, hence my decision to share that post despite the inherent bigotry.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by ceaser: 8:56am On Dec 31, 2015
What is next? A water na. Make dem start agitation to hoard the waters that are abundant in their region and also for the resource control of the marine products thereof. Maybe they will get enough fishes to sell for huge profit.

And they should please carry Tompolo and Asari dem along in their agitation o.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by freedom96: 9:03am On Dec 31, 2015
fulanimafia:

Her understanding of Islam is clearly limited, and most likely informed by the perceptions developed as a result of terrorism furthered deceitfully in the name of Islam.

Based on that foundation, her assertion that violence/terror is interlinked with underdevelopment is actually rational, logical and true as can be seen by the situation in the North East today.

I've trained myself to pick the value in any comment and discard the trash that comes with it, hence my decision to share that post despite[b] the inherent bigotry.[/b]

I fathom.

Cc:NakedEve
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 31, 2015
The igbos are foaming from their mouth again, wishing the worst from every other region but themselves, while the reality on ground is that every other region is more viable and can progress more independently than the south east. The southeast, where the lifelong dream of their young is to emigrate out of their hellholes to seek greener pasture in everyother region, the mainstay of their economy is remittance from abroad, and have the highest propensity to commit crime, are here bragging about how sustainable they are.. niggas please, u'all are suffering from delusion of granduer.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 31, 2015
The igbos are foaming from their mouth again, wishing the worst for every other region but themselves, while the reality on ground is that every other region is more viable and can progress more independently than the south east. The southeast, where the lifelong dream of their young is to emigrate out of their hellholes to seek greener pasture in everyother region, the mainstay of their economy is remittance from abroad, and have the highest propensity to commit crime, are here bragging about how sustainable they are.. niggas please, u'all are suffering from delusion of granduer.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 31, 2015
CSTR2:
The SS in the years to come may constitute the greatest burden on the Nigerian state even more than the north-east.
So much resources plundered. so much wealth wasted, Functional ecosystem of both flora and fauna destroyed, and poverty and illiteracy rising.
Nigeria is a wicked country. angry

Dia leaders squandered an wasted the whopping 13% derivation that's been gvn.to them in the last 16years
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by proxillin(m): 9:26am On Dec 31, 2015
asorocker:
The decline of the oil industry is going to be worse on the states of Lagos and kano.

Lagos because an analysis of the igr of Lagos shows that Lagos derived it's revenue from the income tax and the income tax bulk is from the oil workers whose offices are in Lagos.
The oil and gas component of the Lagos igr is more than 40% of the igr. Income tax paid by high earning oil and gas industry executive who gross average of N5m monthly has helped Lagos

Secondly kano will be the worst hit as the only state whose take home is equivalent to the take home of niger delta states with their 13% derivative.

Kano doesn't have the human capital to generate income tax.

Third state /city is Abuja. It is said that Abuja was built with oil money, where would the money to sustain and maintain Abuja come from if not the same money from niger delta.

Some states like kwara, benue, adamawa can easily with agriculture fight the downturn of their economy, how would sokoto, yobe, jigawa whose populace don't farm and whose land is far from economic centres for export of agricultural products survive.

The next in line are the hausa cities of katsina, batching, kaduna who benefitted from the lopsided federal allocations. Now that the oil wealth is going and there is no human capital we hope they will not turn to insurgency as a means of raising attention and revenue.

The states that would enjoy and be kings in the new dispensation.

Anambra, Nigeria's brain box and commercial hub will have its non oil economy growth unequalled and unrivaled. Anambra survived with no oil allocation managed the little it had and built an enabling environment for investments.

Akwa Ibom, this state was blessed with resources and good managers who used it very well to grow infrastructure and are currently working on a sea port.

Abia this state hosts aba, Nigeria's city of enterprise and football, aba is living beyond oil already.

So anambra is the commercial base of Nigeria? So what does that made Lagos? Oil deposit?

Do you have a kid in nursery school? Have him read your analysis.

He will tel you the following:

Lagos generate IGR from Manufacturing companies (70% of them are located in Lagos)
Foreign investors
Largest Population
Largest Market
Larget Workforce (The largest business office outlet in Nigeria and west africa)

Can your anambra boast of any of the above?

2 Likes

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by proxillin(m): 9:30am On Dec 31, 2015
repogirl:
Have you been to the Niger Delta? You should be asking what will happen to the Northern states and the whole of Nigeria now that there is no oil money because everyone else benefitted the most from the oyel money far greater than the Niger Deltans.

FYI, laziness is not what stopped the Niger Deltans from being productive.... Maybe you are quite ignorant of the issues like pollution due to Oil spills and no assistance from government.....get your facts straight and stop asking rubbish!

No one is benefitting from oil money except Federal civil servants.

We pay our electricity (even without consuming that electricity)
No security
No good road
No free health care
Nothing....NIGER deltans have ministry of Niger delta, they have NDDC.

Do we other Nigerians have ministry OPC, BIAFRA,AREWA? NO.

So they are enjoying dia oyel

1 Like

Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by repogirl(f): 9:34am On Dec 31, 2015
proxillin:

No one is benefitting from oil money except Federal civil servants.

We pay our electricity (even without consuming that electricity)
No security
No good road
No free health care
Nothing....NIGER deltans have ministry of Niger delta, they have NDDC.

Do we other Nigerians have ministry OPC, BIAFRA,AREWA? NO.

So they are enjoying dia oyel
please go to the south south ....compare any one of the cities down south to any one up north and let's see who actually benefitted from their Oyel.

Also when was the NDDC ministry started? Compare when the Ministry was began to when Oil began being drilled in the South South and let's see how much they have enjoyed since Oil was discovered in those areas.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 31, 2015
Eastlink:
What made you rich in palm oil. It was on record that bulk of the oil that sustained the Royal Niger Company at that time, were gotten from the hinterlands and not some swampy waterways.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 31, 2015
WHO CREATED THIS THREAD? THE FELLOW'S BRAIN NEED TO BE EXAMINED, OIL IS BECOMING WORTHLESS YET BUBU IS PROPOSING 40B NAIRA FOR OIL EXPLORATION IN CHAD BASIN?
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by jascon1(m): 10:02am On Dec 31, 2015
Ilovemystate:
pictures they say speaks loader than words.
Onitsha markets
am quite sure, you know what exactly am talking about. Priding in these pics only cloud the truth. Think harder. Truth is glaring
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by proxillin(m): 10:05am On Dec 31, 2015
phemierowl:
WHO CREATED THIS THREAD? THE FELLOW'S BRAIN NEED TO BE EXAMINED, OIL IS BECOMING WORTHLESS YET BUBU IS PROPOSING 40B NAIRA FOR OIL EXPLORATION IN CHAD BASIN?

You shut yourself in the foot.

If Bubu now begin chad basin exploration
Lagos continental shelve deposit
Iran oil starts flowing in
Kenya oil Refineries start full production
American soil Oil goes into production.

What effect will these have on Niger Delta oil or Nigeria oil market as whole.

Do the math.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Angrymode: 10:22am On Dec 31, 2015
All those responsible of posting this OFFENSIVE post should be banned from nairaland and they are also very stupid if they don't see the need to duely apologize to the oppressed poeple of The Niger Delta!!!!!!!! Such arrogance and you idiots wonder how militants are created!!!!!??
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by jascon1(m): 10:29am On Dec 31, 2015
zuchyblink:
why are u making it an igbo vs Nigeria affair? Ur post is the joke of the year. Go and ask people of NE what they are undergoing for putting their investments in one basket. If it gets hard in North America;igbos in Asia will strive;if it gets hard in SE;igbos in SW will strive;if it gets hard in NC;Igbos in SS will strive. For the facts that our innvestment cuts across the globe is an advantage and not a disadvantage.
am not making this igbo vs Nigeria. I tried to counter your quotes with reality. They say, reality awakens a proud man. Your investments in Lagos has brought about a high value of properties and assets in Lagos, increased tax returns, development, higher federal allocation based on population, increased return for investments, increased jobs and success prospects etc. Am not making this sound sarcastic, but bringing reality to your doorstep.
If every Easterner who owns a car bought IVM, u will be amazed at the transformation in the east. If every Easterner purchased suits made in Anambra and not China, if every Easterner built those schools and estates they built in Lagos in the east......
Don't seek ways to curse or condemn but be upbuilding. My simple advice is "look inward". There's more to do in the east than import.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by imbefool(m): 10:32am On Dec 31, 2015
How will this nation move forward when we keep fighting amongst ourselves cryHow will this nation move forward when we keep fighting amongst ourselves
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by mikrizz: 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2015
Ijaya123:
Before Oil, we survived. After Oil, we will still survive. It is just a simple human nature.
Wait!..No more Oil?..This Is Just Crazy!So How do you expect Petroleum Engineering Graduates to Survive?Or Even Certain Geographers...Ooh!
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by ukandi1(m): 1:02pm On Dec 31, 2015
Adminisher:

Please for get farming. The environment is destroyed and you guys are pampering oil pipeline vandalizers. The Niger Delta us the only region with zero plans for the future.
Sadly as this may sound, its true. Yes, I am from there. No plan for tomoro
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by superduperjay: 1:06pm On Dec 31, 2015
proxillin:

So anambra is the commercial base of Nigeria? So what does that made Lagos? Oil deposit?
Do you have a kid in nursery school? Have him read your analysis.
He will tel you the following:
Lagos generate IGR from Manufacturing companies (70% of them are located in Lagos)
Foreign investors
Largest Population
Largest Market
Larget Workforce (The largest business office outlet in Nigeria and west africa)
Can your anambra boast of any of the above?
you didn't even add revenue from. 1)BRT ticket sales (what brt makes in a day) hmmn you won't hear from my mouth lipsrsealed. 2)Many ppl are not aware that lagos state own many estates and homes and also. Make money from rent. 3) iCM, adeniran ogunsanya mall, etc remit to lagos state internal revenue. Many ppl think revenue is all about tax only. Some will stay in onisha all their lives and be talking about lagos. I just laugh.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by nastyesco(m): 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2015
TheDevilIsALai:

And Lagos was built with which money?
I ve lived in South East...nothing for u guys...u re landlocked...best part of it is...u re not even united.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by nastyesco(m): 2:37pm On Dec 31, 2015
TheDevilIsALai:

And Lagos was built with which money?
Only a foolish child farms on another man's land..LAGOS is built on Yoruba wisdom, benevolence and money. If Abia and Onitsha where worth it ....u ppl wld ve stayed at home....I don't see Yorubas in the East...the only prosperous Ibos who made it in The East are u ritual brothers. Don't mistaken our benevolence for ur hardwork.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by naijaking1: 3:38pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Niger Delta is very rich. Before crude oil we were rich in palm oil. In fact, we were called Oil Rivers(Rivers, Warri and Bayelsa states) for a reason. We have rich lland for agriculture and our waters were used for fishing. Though our land and waters have been polluted due to oil exploration. We are rich in gas with abundant gas reserve. Whether oil become worthless or not we won't suffer. We will only adjust.

Most importantly, we have access to see and can easily capitalised on it.

@OP cry not for the Niger Delta. We will do just fine!

The oil in oil river referred to palm oil FYI.
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 3:08am On Jan 01, 2016
Now you're talking.
Psylas:
They will go back to fishing, the igbos saw this coming but the ND fall our hand

the North won't give a fuc.k about them
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Nobody: 3:26am On Jan 01, 2016
You don't sound intelligent.I see you as a very myopic,ignorant and misguided man.I'm from River State and I know the OP is stating the obvious,but you're so proud and short sightest that you could barely see beyond an inch.Tonye is a River rine name and that makes you either a Calabari or an Okrika man,which land will you use for agriculture when our "oyel" loses value?Grow up and face the reality of life.We the so called South South have be politically and psychologically distabilized due to our low mentality and useless oil.
TonyeBarcanista:
Niger Delta is very rich. Before crude oil we were rich in palm oil. In fact, we were called Oil Rivers(Rivers, Warri and Bayelsa states) for a reason. We have rich lland for agriculture and our waters were used for fishing. Though our land and waters have been polluted due to oil exploration. We are rich in gas with abundant gas reserve. Whether oil become worthless or not we won't suffer. We will only adjust.

Most importantly, we have access to see and can easily capitalised on it.

@OP cry not for the Niger Delta. We will do just fine!
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by Phonetikkks: 3:31am On Jan 01, 2016
CHANGE?

We were born in the system quite alright; we were born into corruption.

But must we continue? Must we persist in this path of mediocrity?

Nigerians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkRkTeuF7RQ
Re: Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? by BishopMagic: 7:05am On Jan 01, 2016
APChangeZombie:

Slavery was officially declared illegal in Islamic northern Nigeria as late as 1933.

This is despite the fact that the British Crown had abolished slavery over 150 yrs prior.

The British met a well entrenched slave based economy in the north and seemed hapless to stop constant slave raids by the Hausa Fulani in and around the middle belt.

Towns like Suleja where setup as slave raiding centers by the Muslim north in conjunction with Arab slavers.

The twin towns Abuja and Suleja where named after two Arab slave raiders , Abu and Suleiman.

In that same Suleja, the hills and their natural caves served as refuge by the indegonoius Gwari people who fled to them to avoid capture.

The slaves where transported to Kano and other slave markets in the Moslem north where a vast majority where sold in the trans Saharan slave trade while some ended up as domestic servants, field hands or sex concubines.

The groundnut pyramids you used to hear of where based on slave labour.

The British tolerated it because the Northern Muslim oligarchs where making them rich.

The House of Dantata are prime example of this dark past of slavery in the north.

They traded slave labored produce to the British and distributed finished goods in return.

This is why you will never see or hear of groundnut pyramids ever again.

This also applies to the much touted cocoa glory days in the SW. The Agbekoya Parapo uprising ended an exploitative plantation model.

This is why Tajus are not farming cocoa anymore.

Till this day a form of indentured slavery still exists in the north.

Widespread ignorance and lack of basic education has made the majority of northerners unemployable unless has field hands.

This is the reason the northern elite will never truly invest in education in the north. A vast majority of the northern illiterate population are actually descendants of slaves.

This is why a hereditary and class rotational monarchy still exist in the Islamic north even though Islam forbids it.

This is why the Maitassine class revolution was viciously put down and similarly why the Shiites have been widely condemned by the Emirates.

El Zackzacky was always preaching against this class divide and had several runnings with the Emir of Zazau.

Ironically, the same descendants of slaves living in bondage to the descendants of their ancestors' slave masters are now fighting in the NE to bring about this class society based on an inhumane doctrine of subservience and submission in the guise of religion of peace.

God dey.

The embarrassing reality was that slavery in Nigeria underwent a ‘slow death’, to use the opportune term of Hogendorn and Lovejoy (1993). Although Lugard’s pronouncements in the early post-conquest period seemed to suggest it would no longer be tolerated, it was evidently difficult to simply halt the process in northern Nigeria in view of how deeply it was embedded (Ubah 1991). Moreover, and this is part of the ambiguity of the colonial attitude, it was necessary to keep traditional rulers on board as part of a longer term strategy to counter real or imagined radicalism. Klein (1998) records similar problematic attitudes in the Francophone regions of West Africa. Even relative liberals such as Temple (1918) argued that the system of domestic slavery should not be summarily dismantled. Slaves whose original ethnic identity had been abolished were still working within the Hausa system in the first quarter of the twentieth century (Figure 10). A decree finally abolishing slavery was only promulgated in 1936, although by this time, almost all those former slaves who maintained an ethnic identity had left for their home area (Olusanya 1966).

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Video Of Nnamdi Kanu In 2012 Saying: "We Can't Allow Anyone Tear Nigeria Apart" / AIT Almost Yanked Reno Omokri Off The Air For Criticising Buhari Harshly (Video) / Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists Drown In Lake Chad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.