Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One (1213 Views)

How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / Parents With 2 or More Boys How Do You Cope? / Husbands Or Wives With Mouth Odour, How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Ginaz(f): 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2015
Its been four years my grandpa died, he was the one who raised me up from infancy till I moved in with my biological mother 5 years ago. We were so closed, he calls me 'my caro' whenever he comes home. I remember a week before he died, he begged me to come and spend the week with him but I refused.

Had I known that would be the last week of his life I would have agreed embarassed, he died from kidney failure cry I still remember how he stared at me while he was dying, it was as if he was trying to make it for me. I'm his first grandchild and the bond we shared was so strong he was like my biological father.

Today, I was sharing one of his funny episodes with my mom and I started feeling deep pains, I had to stop Cos I was at the verge of tears.. I still haven't forgotten him and it pains me so much .
and it was too late when I realised how special he was to me. And I owned everything I am today cos of him, he taught me a lot.

Why is it that until we lose what we have, we never appriciate it? Why is it that, only when everything is gone, we start wishing it would just begun? I'm in pains, I miss him so much. He was just 71 when he died. Have you ever lost a loved one? How did you cope? I can't stop feeling this pain. embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by delishpot: 4:20pm On Dec 30, 2015
I have lost both parents and 3 of my grand parents. The pain never goes away. I pull through by telling myself they finished their mission on earth and even I will have to cross the finish line some day.
I try to see how I can be of help to those around me as they have been to me. I correct the mistakes they made while raising me and uphold the good deeds they did and the good character they instilled in me.
Thank God for the blessing of having him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2015
I take my time to mourn them for as long as I need at the beginning and then I remind myself every day that they are still around.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by zeb04(f): 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
delishpot:
I have lost both parents and 3 of my grand parents
wow I'm sorry to hear that delish

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Ginaz(f): 4:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
delishpot:
I have lost both parents and 3 of my grand parents

I'm so sorry for your loss dear cry

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Ginaz(f): 4:25pm On Dec 30, 2015
Mindfulness:
I take my time to mourn them for as long as I need at the beginning and then I remind myself every day that they are still around.

I did exactly that, but its not working anymore

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by delishpot: 4:26pm On Dec 30, 2015
Ginaz:

I'm so sorry for your loss dear cry
zeb04:
wow I'm sorry to hear that delish

Thank you ladies. It is hard. Very hard but life goes on. Thank God I have sibblings. we comfort each other.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Ginaz:

I did exactly that, but its not working anymore

It is normal that feelings of sadness reoccur every now and then when we think of our loved ones who (we think) we have lost.
Your grandpa - though - wants nothing more for you than you to feel happy all the time.

If you could only see yourself with his eyes. Unconditional love Sunshine. smiley
Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Miami11: 8:01pm On Dec 30, 2015
Sorry Delish, I lost a grandmother and for the first time in my life, life lost meaning, I wasn't afraid of death anymore,

I lost a best friend recently, it hurts but life moves on

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by ivyT(f): 10:42pm On Dec 30, 2015
delishpot:
I have lost both parents and 3 of my grand parents. The pain never goes away. I pull through by telling myself they finished their mission on earth and even I will have to cross the finish line some day.
I try to see how I can be of help to those around me as they have been to me. I correct the mistakes they made while raising me and uphold the good deeds they did and the good character they instilled in me.
Thank God for the blessing of having him.

Amen..

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope Losing A Loved One by Swissheart(f): 11:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
My only elder sibling died of chronic cough 2yrs ago......... I remember how dark it was for the first 6mnths.......She was just all I had...... We had never left each other for a week..... We attended same schools..... We bath, sleep and wear same clothes. Despite the 4yrs age interval, we had almost same stature and body shape except that she was prettier. When she died.... And I was called, everything I ever knew crashed . Darkness enveloped me like it had bn waiting. I became conscious 2days after. Twas already a reason for worry on our folks around. I kept seeing her in my dreams and I felt good with it. Like if I can't get to see her during the day...... Night won't b bad and I started longing to sleep. It stopped after a short while, guess She knew and didn't like it. She had a good heart, loving, caring and disciplined. Even as I write, I do not know where her remain was laid. They refused taking me there.

Lately I feel better whenever I talk about her. I always end up smiling whenever I do(just as I am doing now).

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

6 Reasons Marrying A Nurse Is Like Winning The Lottery / How Do You Know If You Love Him Or Just Pity / Can Two Divorcees Marry And Live HAPPILY Ever After?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.