Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,924 members, 7,814,105 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (1517 Views)

Who Is That Theists/atheists You Would Like To Meet Face To Face? / Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Kei144(m): 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2015

In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-atheists-you-don-t-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
This guy is literally making stuff up as he goes. As if atheists believe in heaven or hell.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Kei144(m): 6:19pm On Dec 30, 2015
YourMain:
This guy is literally making stuff up as he goes. As if atheists believe in heaven or hell.

Ro. 2:11 For God does not show favouritism.
Ro. 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
Ro. 2:13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
Ro. 2:14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,
Ro. 2:15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)
Ro. 2:16 This will take place on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

The Pope's response is obviously based on the above Scripture. Contrary to what you hear in many churches today, human beings will be judged based on their conducts in the land of the living. The advantage a believer in Christ has is that s/he can receive the Holy Spirit, who could then help her/him to always manifest a holy conduct.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Idrismusty97(m): 6:20pm On Dec 30, 2015
And i don't want to go to heaven, Save that for fantasy lovers.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
Kei144:

Ro. 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
Ro. 2:13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
Ro. 2:14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,
Ro. 2:15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)
Ro. 2:16 This will take place on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

The Pope's response is obviously based on the above Scripture. Contrary to what you hear in many churches today, human beings will be judged based on their conducts in the land of the living. The advantage a believer in Christ has is that s/he can receive the Holy Spirit, who could then help her/him to always manifest a holy conduct.

Acts 4:12 says; "'And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved.'"

Jesus says in Mark 16:16; "'He who has believed and been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned"
Enough said.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 30, 2015
YourMain:

Acts 4:12 says; "'And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved.'"

Jesus says in Mark 16:16; "'He who has believed and been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned"
Enough said.
shocked thought you are Muslim?
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
blublahd:

shocked thought you were Muslim?

Lol I am an agnostic Muslim. Doesn't mean I don't study other religions. tongue
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by gideonman: 6:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
It is sad and saddening these days that those who call themselves the most profound believers in god do contrary to what is required by God which confirm what the pope has just said.If i do not believe in god,but indirectly do what this God required me to do why wont i make heaven for goodness sake.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
YourMain:

Lol I am an agnostic Muslim. Doesn't mean I don't study other religions. tongue
Hmmm..... God help me make good on my promise. embarassed
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
blublahd:

Hmmm..... God help me make good on my promise. embarassed

Lol are you having second thoughtstongue
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Tallesty1(m): 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
Kei144:

John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The pope is Obviously high on communion and anointing oil.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2015
gideonman:
It is sad and saddening these days that those who call themselves the most profound believers in god do contrary to what is required by God which confirm what the pope has just said.If i do not believe in god,but indirectly do what this God required me to do why wont i make heaven for goodness sake.

I agree with you!

But according to the catholic religion the Pope is wrong.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
YourMain:

Lol are you having second thoughtstongue
Certainly not. I just hope it happens or I ain't just fantasizing embarassed
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 30, 2015
blublahd:

Certainly not. I just hope it happens or I ain't just fantasizing embarassed

Ah! Well I don't know what to say embarassed
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by ValentineMary(m): 7:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Heaven is for uncaring hypocrites.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by analice107: 12:39pm On Dec 31, 2015
[quote author=Kei144 post=41491839]

[/quote

I don't believe that's what the Pope means there. And that scripture you quoted doesn't say those who reject God, and Him existing at all. It's means those who never had the chance of hearing the word preached to them.

The Pope is referring to the atheist who are out right rebels. The atheist have made themselves gods to themselves. They owe no allegiance to the creator, and the Pope is saying that their conscience will get them to heaven.
What does the Bible say about this issue? "if you believe in your heart that Jesus is the son of God, and confess with your mouth that He died for your sins, and receive Him as your Lord and Saviour, you shall be saved" not those who are morally upright.

The Popes in time past have worked so hard to pervert the gospel. They are in the office of the False Prophet to the Antichrist, He is just doing his bit, after him another Pope will take over until the Antichrist finally shows up.

He will try to create a religion where Muslims, So called Christians, atheists, homosexuals, Hindus, and pagans will feel free to worship the Beast thinking they are worshiping God.

This is what that statement imply, (move Jesus from the scene, and let everybody come in and worship, so long as you have a good conscience).
They have never represented Christ.

Now more than ever the Mask is been taken off. This Pope is the most notorious when it comes to his statements which points to what his office is for.

Daniel 7:25. And he shall speak great words against the Most High, and shall wear out the Saints of the Most High. AND THINK TO CHANGE TIME AND LAWS.
The Pope is doing his duty. Only those who have eyes can see.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by kevoh(m): 12:50pm On Dec 31, 2015
Even if the Pope says 1+1=2 with all the mathematical calculations to prove the equation right, he will always be wrong in the eyes of the average protestant/pentecostal. I see this everyday on Nairaland Religion section even when at times it's quite obvious the source of the news is from a satirical website.

#Goes back to preparing for New Year jare! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PastorAIO: 7:07pm On Dec 31, 2015
Tallesty1:
John 3:3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The pope is Obviously high on communion and anointing oil.

34Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,f you did it to me.’

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Matt 25

There is a discrepancy in different peoples understanding of the criteria required to be saved.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PastorAIO: 7:20pm On Dec 31, 2015
analice107:

I don't believe that's what the Pope means there. And that scripture you quoted doesn't say those who reject God, and Him existing at all. It's means those who never had the chance of hearing the word preached to them.

The Pope is referring to the atheist who are out right rebels. The atheist have made themselves gods to themselves. They owe no allegiance to the creator, and the Pope is saying that their conscience will get them to heaven.
What does the Bible say about this issue? "if you believe in your heart that Jesus is the son of God, and confess with your mouth that He died for your sins, and receive Him as your Lord and Saviour, you shall be saved" not those who are morally upright.

Jesus disagrees with you.

…21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Matt 7

Your deeds are very important and just using your mouth to declare 'Jesus Jesus' will not amount to anything.

also, you seem to be unaware that Most atheists do not reject God. They reject that idea that there is a God. I'm sure if they were to actually encounter your God they would not dismiss him so readily. They reject YOU, and your claims of access to God. Some would even go further to say that it makes sense that you would see their rejection of you as a rejection of God because to them it is obvious that Your God is only a projection of some of your own personality traits. i.e Your so called God is nothing but You.

Everybody has a moral compass that guides and directs their actions. Those that listen to this honestly, even if they honestly consider the existence of God and honestly come to the conclusion that such a God does not exist, can still find salvation. It is not believing in the existence of a God concept that saves, but rather living according to the will of God.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by analice107: 9:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
PastorAIO:

Jesus disagrees with you.

…21"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Matt 7

Your deeds are very important and just using your mouth to declare 'Jesus Jesus' will not amount to anything.

also, you seem to be unaware that Most atheists do not reject God. They reject that idea that there is a God. I'm sure if they were to actually encounter your God they would not dismiss him so readily. They reject YOU, and your claims of access to God. Some would even go further to say that it makes sense that you would see their rejection of you as a rejection of God because to them it is obvious that Your God is only a projection of some of your own personality traits. i.e Your so called God is nothing but You.

Everybody has a moral compass that guides and directs their actions. Those that listen to this honestly, even if they honestly consider the existence of God and honestly come to the conclusion that such a God does not exist, can still find salvation. It is not believing in the existence of a God concept that saves, but rather living according to the will of God.

Very funny you.
I didn't say use you mouth to say Lord, Lord. I started by saying, believing in your heart, then confessing with your mouth.
Now do you find salvation while disbelieving that God exists in the first place, and tagging Jesus a myth?

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other, for there's none other name under heaven whereby men must be saved.

(Most atheists don't reject God, but reject the idea that there's a God? What does that even mean, even to you?) aughhhhh.

(You can reject the concept of God yet live according to the will of God?) Ah, How do you get to know what His will is, not to talk of fulfilling it when u don't even believe he exist? How does something which doesn't exist have a will? This is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard in all my life.

If you talk about a moral compass, then you have to talk about what informed the morality in that person.
There's no morality without a moral law, and there's no moral law without a moral Law giver.

Oh pls, this pastor, you fall my hand.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Empredboy(m): 7:07am On Jan 01, 2016
YourMain:

Enough said.
my sis what will u say about the story of the good Samaria in luke 10:25-37. Who did the work of God among the priest, Jews, teachers of the law and the Samaria? What about the parable of the promised brother Matthew 21:28-32.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Empredboy(m): 7:16am On Jan 01, 2016
analice107:

Very funny you.
I didn't say use you mouth to say Lord, Lord. I started by saying, believing in your heart, then confessing with your mouth.
Now do you find salvation while disbelieving that God exists in the first place, and tagging Jesus a myth?

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other, for there's none other name under heaven whereby men must be saved.

(Most atheists don't reject God, but reject the idea that there's a God? What does that even mean, even to you?) aughhhhh.

(You can reject the concept of God yet live according to the will of God?) Ah, How do you get to know what His will is, not to talk of fulfilling it when u don't even believe he exist? How does something which doesn't exist have a will? This is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard in all my life.

If you talk about a moral compass, then you have to talk about what informed the morality in that person.
There's no morality without a moral law, and there's no moral law without a moral Law giver.

you are just a typical example of the pharisees and the sadducees. Who believe heaven is for them only.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PastorAIO: 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2016
analice107:

Very funny you.

You find salvation by doing the Will of the creator, God. Believing in your heart leads to actions.

Imagine two men who know nothing about anatomy. One is a heavy drinker the other is not. If you now tell them that there is an organ in their bodies called Liver and that drinking can destroy the liver, but the non drinker doesn't believe you, but the drinker does, who is more likely to fall ill from a deterioration of the liver? Is it the non Liver believer who doesn't drink, or is it the Liver believer who drinks heavily and destroys his liver.

There is only one God but there are many ideas and conceptions of God. You yourself, I'm sure, you reject the Hindu God idea called Brahma and the Ancient Greet God idea called Zeus. You don't believe they exist. But that doesn't equate to rejecting God. Whatever atheists reject it is an idea that has been presented to them.

However that is not to say that they cannot inadvertently, just by following their consciences, end up living according to the will of God.

You know his will by following your conscience, though most atheists won't call it his Will cos they don't believe any God-concepts.

Romans 2
14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Please don't come and pretend that conscience or morality only comes from religion, that is just such a silly and shallow argument that requires you to be a blinded bigot in order to believe. You see atheists everywhere everyday battling with moral decisions. A lot of them proving to be more morally upright than religious people themselves. Man is essentially a moral creature.

You sef pocket your hand. Must I hold it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by analice107: 2:54pm On Jan 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

You find salvation by doing the Will of the creator, God. Believing in your heart leads to actions.

Imagine two men who know nothing about anatomy. One is a heavy drinker the other is not. If you now tell them that there is an organ in their bodies called Liver and that drinking can destroy the liver, but the non drinker doesn't believe you, but the drinker does, who is more likely to fall ill from a deterioration of the liver? Is it the non Liver believer who doesn't drink, or is it the Liver believer who drinks heavily and destroys his liver.

There is only one God but there are many ideas and conceptions of God. You yourself, I'm sure, you reject the Hindu God idea called Brahma and the Ancient Greet God idea called Zeus. You don't believe they exist. But that doesn't equate to rejecting God. Whatever atheists reject it is an idea that has been presented to them.

However that is not to say that they cannot inadvertently, just by following their consciences, end up living according to the will of God.

You know his will by following your conscience, though most atheists won't call it his Will cos they don't believe any God-concepts.

Romans 2
14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Please don't come and pretend that conscience or morality only comes from religion, that is just such a silly and shallow argument that requires you to be a blinded bigot in order to believe. You see atheists everywhere everyday battling with moral decisions. A lot of them proving to be more morally upright than religious people themselves. Man is essentially a moral creature.

You sef pocket your hand. Must I hold it?

HahahahahahHhaaa@ you sef pocket your hand.

There are so many points to raise here, but I don't know to break the texts in pieces.
You obviously don't believe in Jesus. You are just like the Pope.
Re: Pope Francis Assures Atheists: You Don’t Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PastorAIO: 3:12pm On Jan 01, 2016
Well, you can always start from the top and take the points one after the other.

I will not answer your statement about believing in Jesus like the pope, cos I know what you mean is I don't believe in your fantasy of what Jesus is.

I note that you failed to address the Matthew 7 passage and also the romans 2 passage. Anyway sha....

analice107:

HahahahahahHhaaa@ you sef pocket your hand.

There are so many points to raise here, but I don't know to break the texts in pieces.
You obviously don't believe in Jesus. You are just like the Pope.

(1) (Reply)

Chai!!! Pastor Odumeje Aka The Lion Himself Displays Another Talent (video) / Is Once Saved Always Saved A Fake Gospel? Lets See - Jack Kelley / The Arab Slave Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.