Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism (3585 Views)

Money Marriage Practice In Cross River State Where Girls Are Sold To Elderly Men / Sign Petition Against MBGN 30th Anniversary Say No To Tribalism In Nigeria ! / Guys How Many Kids Wuld You Luv 2 Hav If This Practice Becomes Instituted? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by MissCheesom: 9:51pm On Jan 01, 2016
I'm not new to Nairaland, I've been following as a guest but decided to open an account today to know the truth..

Is there a law that says an Anambra man must marry from Anambra?

I have been dating this guy for some years now like 3-4 years now, he is from Anambra State, Idemili North local government, Abatete and I'm from Imo State. He called me and told me that his mum said he must marry from Anambra, that they've even gone to kinsmen and they said same thing.

Are Anambra people tribalist?

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by blank(f): 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2016
Sadly, yes they are. It's a big issue for a guy to marry outside Anambra.

2 Likes

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by missKiffy(f): 10:06pm On Jan 01, 2016
3-4 years, that's a long time, at least he should have known his kinsmen would want him to marry from Anambra, rather than string you along all this while

3 Likes

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by fav444(f): 10:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
Yes, my dear. Am from there. I didn't know my people do such until they started giving excuses y I shouldn't Marry Suitor A, B and C. If I no come meet Anambra guy nko? At least, I have tasted this side, they should allow me taste another side na
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by Slimzjoe(m): 10:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
these are Mere Fallacies undecided
My Dad is an Anambrarian But got Married to my Mum who's totally from Somewhere else.

I know many others who did too so this Is just Baseless Beer Parlour Talk

4 Likes

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by MissCheesom: 10:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
fav444:
Yes, my dear. Am from there. I didn't know my people do such until they started giving excuses y I shouldn't Marry Suitor A, B and C. If I no come meet Anambra guy nko? At least, I have tasted this side, they should allow me taste another side na

So, it's like a law?
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by blank(f): 11:22pm On Jan 01, 2016
MissCheesom:

So, it's like a law?

Definitely not a law but it's generally acceptable. Meaning, family can insist. I am from there and married an Anambra man but my other siblings did not. I noticed that most of my parent's generation married Anambra.

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by richyblink1(m): 11:22pm On Jan 01, 2016
blank:
Sadly, yes they are. It's a big issue for a guy to marry outside Anambra.

Not totally true. Depends on the man and if he is man enough to make his people respect his wish

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by fav444(f): 11:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
MissCheesom:

So, it's like a law?
they should just be praying if not na them sabi
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by Blade21: 11:35pm On Jan 01, 2016
it's not entirely true depends on the guy and his beliefs my hubby is from anambara but am not even my brother in law didn't marry an igbo woman so the guy has to be man enough nd decide what he wants
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by MissCheesom: 11:41pm On Jan 01, 2016
blank:

Definitely not a law but it's generally acceptable. Meaning, family can insist. I am from there and married an Anambra man but my other siblings did not. I noticed that most of my parent's generation married Anambra.

Are you the first daughter?
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by saintvc(m): 1:16am On Jan 02, 2016
Yes, for ritual

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by okirewaju(f): 3:51am On Jan 02, 2016
I think it is a family thing.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by tpiar: 3:57am On Jan 02, 2016
missKiffy:
3-4 years, that's a long time, at least he should have known his kinsmen would want him to marry from Anambra, rather than string you along all this while
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by blank(f): 9:14am On Jan 02, 2016
richyblink1:

Not totally true. Depends on the man and if he is man enough to make his people respect his wish

The fact that you have to mention that he has to take a stance means it's a big issue. However not everyone makes a big deal of it. You would be surprised that even so called educated people are caught up in it.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by blank(f): 9:15am On Jan 02, 2016
MissCheesom:

Are you the first daughter?

Nah. My dad is very liberal. Our Ada married a Yoruba man.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by richyblink1(m): 11:21am On Jan 02, 2016
blank:

The fact that you have to mention that he has to take a stance means it's a big issue. However not everyone makes a big deal of it. You would be surprised that even so called educated people are caught up in it.

Why I say not totally true is due to the fact that in most union, both parents plays a major role when it has to do with who their children is getting married to. It's now left for the man/lady to make them understand why it has to be who they have decided to spend their eternity with.

I am pure Anambarian (both father and mother) but I am married to a southerner. I never allowed it to be a topic of discussion with my family members.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by ronald4lif(m): 11:45am On Jan 02, 2016
Slimzjoe:
these are Mere Fallacies undecided
My Dad is an Anambrarian But got Married to my Mum who's totally from Somewhere else.

I know many others who did too so this Is just Baseless Beer Parlour Talk

Told them bro in Zebrudaya's voice.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by jmoore(m): 11:46am On Jan 02, 2016
I am from Anambra.

My brother is married to a lady from Cross River State

My uncle is married to a lady from Imo.

Another uncle of mine married a woman from Jamaica.

So, wetin you dey yarn? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by ronald4lif(m): 11:52am On Jan 02, 2016
Why will people not live Anambra people alone? When will these archaic reasoning and unfounded allegation against Anambra people stop to exist? As if it's only Ndi Anambra that prefer to marry from their state and turning a blind to other southeastern states where such mentality is rife. And also turning a blind eye to the numerous inter-Igbo states marriages between Anambra men? WTF, let's have a break already. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by martineverest(m): 12:33pm On Jan 02, 2016
ronald4lif:
Why will people not live Anambra people alone? Why do these archaic reasoning and unfounded allegation against Anambra people stop to exist? As if it's only Ndi Anambra that prefer to marry from their state and turning a blind to other southeastern states where such mentality is rife. And also turning a blind eye to the numerous inter-Igbo states marriages between Anambra men? WTF, let's have a break already. undecided
because u are from anambra ,abi?
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by martineverest(m): 12:37pm On Jan 02, 2016
ronald4lif:
Why will people not live Anambra people alone? Why do these archaic reasoning and unfounded allegation against Anambra people stop to exist? As if it's only Ndi Anambra that prefer to marry from their state and turning a blind to other southeastern states where such mentality is rife. And also turning a blind eye to the numerous inter-Igbo states marriages between Anambra men? WTF, let's have a break already. undecided
is it true or not? Are u also planning not to marry non-anambarian?

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by ronald4lif(m): 1:27pm On Jan 02, 2016
martineverest:
is it true or not? Are u also planning not to marry non-anambarian?

I don't have any current plans to marry from Anambra but if fate traject me that path I'd gladly embrace it. I'm not saying this coz I'm from Anambra but coz the assertion is baseless and spurious. If I can be receptive to non Nigerian women then why should a Nigerian be a problem just coz they hail from a different ethnic nationality? Who had control to the tribe they were born into that one should employ that as yardstick in judging them?

It has never be proven, can never be substantiated and a mere canard that Anambra men don't marry from a different state. I don't want to dabble into my views on "some" Anambra ladies and why they might not be an option for me as I have high regard for my state and ladies from there.

You can see from previous submission here that some have dispel it and even restated that their Anambra relatives are married to ladies from other states. I've in-laws from other states and tribe in my immediate family and that's why I get furious when I see people churn out sh1t from their ass as facts.

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by Slimzjoe(m): 1:27pm On Jan 02, 2016
ronald4lif:

Told them bro in Zebrudaya's voice.

Nna ehn....I don't understand what is Wrong with all these People this Days. Especially NL Females angry angry
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by ifyalways(f): 7:15pm On Jan 02, 2016
Not my part of Anambra.

Never happened to anyone I personally know.

I only hear such stories on the internet.

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by DrObum(m): 8:37pm On Jan 02, 2016
I'm surprised when people connote such general statements from their personal experience!

One would think that OP was jilted by 2-3 Anambra guys, or that she's has seen 5-10 ladies that had same issue.

Which state in Nigeria has not had a guy's family reluctant to accept a lady on tribal grounds or state of origin?

The Anambra that I know and come from have enough examples of men that married from different states and even beyond the shores of this country.

The reply of people like 'blank' leaves me wondering why all these generalisations from nowhere!

And who knows if the guy in question is just looking for a reason to Diss OP (I'm not saying that, but it's a possibility)

1 Like

Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by GANDALF1(m): 12:05am On Jan 03, 2016
MissCheesom:
I'm not new to Nairaland, I've been following as a guest but decided to open an account today to know the truth..

I have been dating this guy for some years now like 3-4 years now, he is from Anambra State, Idemili North local government, Abatete and I'm from Imo State. He called me and told me that his mum said he must marry from Anambra, that they've even gone to kinsmen and they said same thing.

No we are not. Depends on the individuals parents and the individual himself. If he is a mummy's boy, then the family dictates. But if na baddo, no issue.

My bro married an edo woman and the family approved of her at their first visit.

Enjoy
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by porshuch: 9:10am On Jan 03, 2016
MissCheesom:

i don't know why Abatete guys fear Imo girls, I hv a frnd from abatete, if you see the way they condemn Imo girls, you will be surprised.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by porshuch: 9:11am On Jan 03, 2016
ifyalways:
Not my part of Anambra.

Never happened to anyone I personally know.

I only hear such stories on the internet.

I bu onye Abatete.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by richyblink1(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2016
porshuch:
I bu onye Abatete.

Nginwa ibu onye enugu-ukwu?
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by ifyalways(f): 10:57am On Jan 03, 2016
Dp.
Re: Do Anambra People Practice Tribalism by ifyalways(f): 10:58am On Jan 03, 2016
O bu onye Enugu-agidi.

Okwa I fu ka o si putanno juba m onye ebe mbu. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trendsviva Haute Fashion School/ With our Bespoke styles. / All You Should Know When Your Little One Has Diarrhoea / Is Sending My Wife To House Help Job The Best Option?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.