Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,227 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones (16843 Views)

Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others / Buhari’s Economic Reforms Are Bold – Obama / Soludo Faults Buhari's Economic Policies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by LMFashions: 1:21pm On Jan 08, 2016
sinistermind:
Y'all Nigerian are hypocrites... The same people that are here defending the government on encouraging local manufacturing are still the same people that'll see a locally made product n tag it "Aba Made" and boycott such product.

May you live long.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by mightyhaze: 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2016
TheSonOfMark:

Face the topic, sycophant! My pictures are regularly updated on my profile 'cause, unlike you, I have no run in against the law and I have nothing to hide.

Wait...You've seen my pictures? Which means you've been checking my profile regularly and I don't even know you. Hello everyone, I've got a fan!

You couldn't even articulate a retort to counter the points I raised
. An attestation of your low I. Q? I thought as much

Typical of you APC lapdogs to try to divert attention from a topical issue when you're being overrun by facts.

So long, _masturbator! Focus on the topic!
chaiii! Its finished!

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Abagworo(m): 1:24pm On Jan 08, 2016
Rose2014:
Buhari's policies is aimed at destroying entrepreneurs in Nigeria cos it's hard to run any business in Nigeria without needing anything from outside the country.

If he's trying to punish Igbos for not voting for him, he should be aware that he's indirectly punishing the masses cos guess what? If I have to go through so much to run my business, the Yoruba Igbo and Hausa civil servants should get ready to spend their minimum wage on one underwear.

Let his robots keep hailing him, let's see who loses last last

Why is it difficult to understand that the draught in foreign exchange is not as a result of Buhari's economic policy. Buhari's economic policy is to prevent the Naira from free fall to 400 Naira to a Dollar overnight. We simply lack Dollars because oil has fallen from 150 to 34 Dollars and it is almost our only foreign exchange earner.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by ilyas26(m): 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2016
Useless post, am sure you are one of those claiming marginalisation

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Montaque(m): 1:27pm On Jan 08, 2016
greenpasture:

There are easily accessible and sensible CBN micro SME 9% loans available for such purposes. Production machinery is also a preferred industry for FX purposes . Someone is going to do very well advising small businesses that need financing and export capabilities. People need to be informed not scared.

we started this discourse on the moving of the customs office down to kano. How it has adversely affected the trade.
we also highlighted the price of dollars currently as against naira, and how buying things abroad has been adversely affected at the point of payment and at the point of clearing.
When u want to transfer fund for the purchase of these machineries, the dollar price remains the same, and you need to travel back and forth to kano n lagos to clear ur goods.
In all these, will u still insist on a preference for raw materials and production machineries.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by ihatesycophant(m): 1:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
It's ridiculous for you to say you believed in Buhari's economy policies but at the same time condemn what you said you believe in. Your assertion is disturbing, sectional, childish and laced in hate. How will you insinuate that the economy policies of a government affected a group or ethnic the must. You didn't even say it affected people living in the East of Nigeria but only Igbo living in Lagos. If it affects only Igbo in Lagos what of the non-Igbo living and trading in Lagos. You forgot so soon that production price determined the market price. If Igbo pay more to clear their goods, do you think they would sell at lower price than the production price. Ordinary increase in the price of PMS, there's a corresponding increase in the price of fare, let alone the purchasing price of goods and services. Please guy stop dividing and pelting tribes against each other by your inordinate hate for someone and party.
Again, if Buhari had moved clearing house to Kano. You forgot to also tell us what has been the fate of Igbo trading and living in Kano state for years. Remember Kano has nearly the same commercial value with Lagos. What will become of those Igbo traders in Kano that come to Lagos to clear their goods.
Again, you also refused to ask the rationale behind moving the clearing house to Kano. Until you ask that question before I take you serious. If you don't know who to ask, I will direct you to write customs CG or go to customs headquarters for inquiry rather than living in ignorant of the idea.
You also insinuated that the dollar policy disproportionately affected Igbos. this also make me laugh out at you because it beats my imagination for you to think it is only Igbo that trade with dollars. You mean Dangote, Otedola and the rest non-Igbo trade with yen or pound? Please this your write up piss me up.
Again, how will you think the state gov't will demolished without express notification to the affected individuals or group. I hope you're not living in Somalia. Nigerians always believe nothing will happen even if notices were given to them by the right quarters. I can belt it that the state gov't gave the notice but they refused complying with the directive. This line also show your disdain for APC and not Ambode "Two days ago the APC government of Ambode". Please stop this craze and live in reality. For now what Buhari is doing is within the ambit of the law and it's for the progress of the nation and your hate and sectionalism cannot stop him.
Stay focus!

6 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by ibadanfinest(m): 1:37pm On Jan 08, 2016
Hypocrite Igbos,

Who are those constantly speaking against Buhari.

FFK and Fayose which shows that Yoruba are democratic.

Who are those Igbo really speaking against Buhari and pls don't mention KANU o.

All am saying is, stop thinking all Yoruba supports Buhari, its not possible ni.

I

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 08, 2016
Montaque:

we started this discourse on the moving of the customs office down to kano. How it has adversely affected the trade.
we also highlighted the price of dollars currently as against naira, and how buying things abroad has been adversely affected at the point of payment and at the point of clearing.
When u want to transfer fund for the purchase of these machineries, the dollar price remains the same, and you need to travel back and forth to kano n lagos to clear ur goods.
In all these, will u still insist on a preference for raw materials and production machineries.

It shouldn't be necessary for importers to go to Kano for any reason because the documentation system is online. If the CAC can process in Lagos I see no reason why Customs cannot do same.

Regarding purchase of machines the bank will purchase the machines in its own name and transfer ownership after loan obligations have been discharged. The bank will source the FX needed. Banks know where FX is located - believe me.

Regarding the cost of dollars, there is nothing that can be done about that in the short term. There is more dollar outside the normal economy than there is within it. Hence the anti corruption efforts. Over the next year or so I expect a stable dollar rate. With stability comes the ability to make strategic plans.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by divine9540: 1:50pm On Jan 08, 2016
hw can man fight God.An Igbo man will always b rich both in wisdom and physical blessing even in the desert. buhari is just dancing in d market place.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by superstar1(m): 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2016
OP is simply whining up sentiments and appealing to the emotions of the group he mentioned.

Are Igbos the only one affected by the FX policy?

Are others getting FX and Igbos are not allowed to have access to it?

Why can't the so called highest importers of goods encourage their business partners to set up in Nigeria?

Must we always keep the nationals of under countries in employment to the detriment of the low employment rate in our country.

How can we be depleting our FX reserves for people importing toothpick, rice etc?

Someone should present facts and figures that shows Buhari is targeting the highest importers deliberately.

For now, it is a mere conjectures and a sentimental write up to make some descendants of cain to feel relevant.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Montaque(m): 2:06pm On Jan 08, 2016
greenpasture:

It shouldn't be necessary for importers to go to Kano for any reason because the documentation system is online. If the CAC can process in Lagos I see no reason why Customs cannot do same.

Regarding purchase of machines the bank will purchase the machines in its own name and transfer ownership after loan obligations have been discharged. The bank will source the FX needed. Banks know where FX is located - believe me.

Regarding the cost of dollars, there is nothing that can be done about that in the short term. There is more dollar outside the normal economy than there is within it. Hence the anti corruption efforts. Over the next year or so I expect a stable dollar rate. With stability comes the ability to make strategic plans.

As regards the kano issue, I just told you the current situation. We both know what is ideal, but that's not what's on ground.
On the preference which u said is given to production. machineries, I thought what u meant before is if you want to do the exchange and transfer through inter - country transfer companies like moneygram. However what you stated above makes me think you want importers to pass through the commercial banks in the purchase procedure. This is not the common way, and it's mainly for those who don't have the purchase money complete with them.
As regards the high price of dollar, instead of decrease in its price which is the normal fallout of a restricted import in any country, it is the opposite. it's because we haven't buffered our internal sector to be self sustained.
Restriction of import should be after we have a viable alternative internally. So in the absence, there is panic buying and a forced one at that.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by WaffenSS(m): 2:18pm On Jan 08, 2016
Bigprozzie:

We are not talking about Dog meat here

Please ignore me and face topic

Why do you waste time arguing with a gang of zombified, brainless zealots?

They're too far gone.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 08, 2016
Montaque:

I understand your concerns. But with just 3-4 months import cover, there is not much that the government can do. Remember there are other FX needs other than imports; there are debt obligations, medical care, education and repatriated investments. Maintaining this balance requires prioritisation. A lot of historic mistakes were made. Nigeria has not invested in overseas assets during its boom years and especially while asset prices were low in America and Europe.

As regards the kano issue, I just told you the current situation. We both know what is ideal, but that's not what's on ground.
On the preference which u said is given to production. machineries, I thought what u meant before is if you want to do the exchange and transfer through inter - country transfer companies like moneygram. However what you stated above makes me think you want importers to pass through the commercial banks in the purchase procedure. This is not the common way, and it's mainly for those who don't have the purchase money complete with them.
As regards the high price of dollar, instead of decrease in its price which is the normal fallout of a restricted import in any country, it is the opposite. it's because we haven't buffered our internal sector to be self sustained.
Restriction of import should be after we have a viable alternative internally. So in the absence, there is panic buying and a forced one at that.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by nextstep(m): 2:43pm On Jan 08, 2016
His policies are affecting all Nigerians. Enough of this self-victimization and looking for insults where there are none. angry Everyday I read or hear another woe-is-us tale about marginalization or victimization.

I am not particularly happy with the decisions he's making, and the meeting with IMF is worrisome, but I want to have faith that this is the necessary pain we have to go through to improve our country.

Let's start talking about how we as responsible citizens can uplift the country and assist our president. There are established rules on how you can get access to foreign exchange for your business and it's high time we follow procedure.

God bless Nigerians, all of us from every region.
God bless our president
God bless Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 08, 2016
this playing the victim is getting quite tiresome!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by InvertedHammer: 2:46pm On Jan 08, 2016
/
From a historical perspective, I think Buhari is force-feeding Nigerians the prescriptions of IMF and World Bank. A few military dictators had towed this part (IBB comes to mind) which eventually led to the devaluation of naira with consequent near collapse of the economy that is grossly tilted towards importation.
/
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by ohenhen1: 2:49pm On Jan 08, 2016
cramjones:
Many people have been saying that Buhari means well with his economic policies including my humble self, however, haven discussed with many people and studying who are affected the most, I am convinced to say that whilst Buhari's economic policies affect all Nigerians, the group it affects the most in a disportionate manner are the Igbos. When you examine most of these policies you would think that Igbos are specifically being targeted on all fronts. Let us examine the facts one after the other.

1. According to Vanguard news today, it was stated that Buhari's government have moved Lagos clearing house for imports to Kano. We all know that almost half of Lagos are occupied by Igbos. Igbo business men around the country have their networks in Lagos, and all they have known for many years is clearing their goods in Lagos. Moving it to Kano only adds to their cost without a concomitant value. Does it affect all business men, including hausas? Yes of course, but we all know that at least 70% of imports in Nigeria are carried out by Igbo business men all over Nigeria. This is NOT a good policy in my opinion it creates bad blood for the average Igbo business man, and make life even tougher for them.

(Link here http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/igbo-traders-bemoan-buharis-economic-policies-harsh-business-environment/)

2. The dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos. Most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. Worse still businessess that have millions of USD turn over, are prevented by the banks to collect their money, with the bank claiming they do not have dollar. This essentially grinds businesses and further makes the economy slip into oblivion. Does this policy affect other non-Igbo importers? Ofcourse yes, but given that Igbos are the engine of all of our imports in Nigeria, we can safely say that they are disproportionately affected.

3. Two days ago the APC government of Ambode, who in my opinion has been a confused governor, unable to just keep up with what Fashola has done, ordered that Oshodi market be destroyed. This is one of the largest market places in Nigeria and West Africa. Is it a bad policy to destroy Oshodi market for developmental reasons? Absolutely not, depending on its intent. However, what is bad policy, is when you do not give any notice, no alternatives, and then destroy peoples business that took many years to build, throwing thousands off their employment, and making many more people jobless. This is barbaric to say the least. Which group of people dominate Oshodi market? Igbos ofcourse. By many accounts, Igbos make up 85 - 90% of the traders in Oshodi. Was it a way of telling the Igbos that they are not needed in Lagos? Who inspired Ambode to take such actions?

I won't go further than this, but one thing is clear, PMB would have to thread carefully, or else what he thinks he is trying to make better, would only make the country worse. We do not need another civil war, policies like this only make Nigeria more polarized and ungovernable.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

-CramJones

3 months notice was given. An alternative was also provided for traders.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by naijalander: 3:09pm On Jan 08, 2016
drss2:
when we say gen buari is unfit to rule a modern country like nigeria, pipul tink we ar just hating on him. dat we hate him for no reason. now everybody can see d consequencies of his terrible economic policies. general buari's hatred for Igbos is deep in his blood. can anybody explain why shehu shagari was kept under house arrest in a presidential palace n alex ekwueme was thrown into prison in 1984 Does this not shows hatred for Igbos.
see how he is systematically targeting Igbo businesses all over d country to slow dem down so dat his northern pipul like dangote will maintain monopoly. sad look at capital oil, ibeto cement, innoson n many odas all targets of buari's despotic policies. a nepostic, tribalist, bigotric n a religious fanatic who is bend on destroying South East.
But no matter how he n his northern brothers try to destroy SE business, they will never succced. we will keep rising higher n higher. noting can stop us from progressing, not even d devil himself can keep SE down.

Really?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by nedu666: 4:11pm On Jan 08, 2016
munky:

Sometimes Nigerians like you are too blinded by ethnic and tribal hatred to see. Start manufacturing with which electricity?? Which power? Where is the money to buy needed machines when they can't even access their dollars?
only people who have never worked in manufacturing talks about opening industry without asking where is the electricity to power the industry. if cbn likes they make dollar available. if they like they hoard it. the less imports the less revenue from customs, mass sack of people in clearing agency, inflation. at the end everyone will suffer.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by mapet: 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2016
cramjones:

Talking down the points I have raised without raising any counter factual points, just makes you look stupiid. I have been in the APC. I have sat with Buhari a number of times, I am an ardent supporter of Buhari, but when someone is toeing a wrong line, you must call it out. I am not even Igbo, so please don't sound like an idiot.

-CramJones

And you believe the bolded and underlined is best served with twisting and outright falsification of facts or painting a wrong picture?

CramJones: 1. According to Vanguard news today, it was stated that Buhari's government have moved Lagos clearing house for imports to Kano. We all know that almost half of Lagos are occupied by Igbos. Igbo business men around the country have their networks in Lagos, and all they have known for many years is clearing their goods in Lagos. Moving it to Kano only adds to their cost without a concomitant value. Does it affect all business men, including hausas? Yes of course, but we all know that at least 70% of imports in Nigeria are carried out by Igbo business men all over Nigeria. This is NOT a good policy in my opinion it creates bad blood for the average Igbo business man, and make life even tougher for them.

(Link here http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/igbo-traders-bemoan-buharis-economic-policies-harsh-business-environment/)

You just disappointed me. I am even tempted to reevaluate my assessment of you. I thought you are smart. First off, your only evidence to this unfounded accusation is from the Igbo traders? One would have expected you to do some simple research before coming online with falsehood.

The movement to Kano is a largely misunderstood and misconstrued issue by these Igbo traders. This actually came about by the necessity of port reforms hence Yar Adua/GEJ's government had formed a port reforms committee, to look into areas of port congestion/decongestion and how goods can quickly be moved to the interlands. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-mulls-designation-of-6-icds-as-ports-of-origin/189357/

Kano becomes the first logical point to start, as there's an existing rail track from Apapa port in Lagos to Kano. http://shipsandports.com.ng/apm-terminals-apapa-links-kano-by-rail-3/ . The idea is that any of these ICDs will be designated port of destination, so that those up North and closer east need not come to Lagos to clear their goods.

CramJones: 2. The dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos. Most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. Worse still businessess that have millions of USD turn over, are prevented by the banks to collect their money, with the bank claiming they do not have dollar. This essentially grinds businesses and further makes the economy slip into oblivion. Does this policy affect other non-Igbo importers? Ofcourse yes, but given that Igbos are the engine of all of our imports in Nigeria, we can safely say that they are disproportionately affected.

At this risk of not over-flogging a rebuttal to this baseless point of yours, as other have put paid to it, let me just add it is a matter of choice, to either remain in the importation business, pass the cost down the value chain or diversify into something else. The country should not sacrifice the need to develop our local sector just to please some "Igbos" who are importers. Besides, who tells you these importers are not in business? People are exploiting even the existing gaps in Western Union, to buy goods from overseas

CramJones: 3. Two days ago the APC government of Ambode, who in my opinion has been a confused governor, unable to just keep up with what Fashola has done, ordered that Oshodi market be destroyed. This is one of the largest market places in Nigeria and West Africa. Is it a bad policy to destroy Oshodi market for developmental reasons? Absolutely not, depending on its intent. However, what is bad policy, is when you do not give any notice, no alternatives, and then destroy peoples business that took many years to build, throwing thousands off their employment, and making many more people jobless. This is barbaric to say the least. Which group of people dominate Oshodi market? Igbos ofcourse. By many accounts, Igbos make up 85 - 90% of the traders in Oshodi. Was it a way of telling the Igbos that they are not needed in Lagos? Who inspired Ambode to take such actions?

Another useless and baseless submission. Owonifaari is not one of the largest market places in Nigeria or West Africa. The market does not occupy more than the circular area from the exit of the Oshodi bridge to the old Agege-Mushin Road.

@ the falsehood in the bolded, you can't be serious.

[b]"It is important to be informed that the issue of that market had been on for nothing less than 10 years.
“The state government had been engaging with the leadership of the market to say that we could no longer continue with the manner in which that area of the market was being used.

“So, for 10 years, there has been back and forth engagement between the government and the leadership of the market,” he said.

Ayorinde said the leadership of the market, in the last three years, had refused to move.
“Certified that we have provided a befitting alternative, we started another round of engagement with the leadership of the market.
“The governor appealed to them through the Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs.
“They met with members of the state executive on Dec. 16, 2015, where the governor reiterated his plans for Oshodi and the need to relocate them.

“A few of them expressed certain misgivings, but largely, they felt that if their interests were accommodated within the Isopakodowo market that they were willing and ready to move.

“We advised that discussions should be ongoing, particularly regarding how much they will pay for each stall within the market,” he said.
Ayorinde said that on Dec. 21, 2015, the governor went on a tour of the market, particularly Isopakodowo Market, where he again met with the leadership of the Owonifari Market.

According to him, it was eventually agreed that, based on the proposition from the market leaders, what they were willing to pay for each market was N5000 monthly.

“There is really no market anywhere that you will be paying such an amount in a month for a market.
“The governor agreed with them and we said we were ready to concede.

“Along the line, convinced that our New Year project was to relocate them to Isopakodowo Market, we got intelligence reports that as at during the Yuletide, a number of criminal activities were going on there."
[/b] http://thenationonlineng.net/why-we-demolished-oshodi-market-lagos/

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Humbleguy4me(m): 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2016
I support you on this issue, let my Igbo brother start building industry where such items can be produced in Eastern Nigeria to enable our own brothers to get employment
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Eshinwaju: 4:33pm On Jan 08, 2016
Abagworo:

Why is it difficult to understand that the draught in foreign exchange is not as a result of Buhari's economic policy. Buhari's economic policy is to prevent the Naira from free fall to 400 Naira to a Dollar overnight. We simply lack Dollars because oil has fallen from 150 to 34 Dollars and it is almost our only foreign exchange earner.

They know...they just want to remain stupid.... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Hakagure: 5:49pm On Jan 08, 2016
OP frankly you have lost all my respect.

This is ethnic rabble rousing at its worst. Buharis policy has nothing to do with Igbo's, the capital control policies are just plain incompetence and every one is affected. You are creating a strawman for whoever paid you without considering the continued harm to your own reputation.

Oshodi was a LASG issue, your imaginary narrative none withstanding. I tire for people like you, you are the worst Nigeria has to offer and put up straw men to advance yourself or you are unaware that you have committed multiple logical errors (hence my vitriolic ad hominen attack) please rephrase if you truly want a civil conversation, i truly have no turf for bigots or people whipping up tribal sentiment to the harm of the general polity.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by ibedun: 5:58pm On Jan 08, 2016
mikolo80:
all Ibo biz do is import dangote produces and earns dollars from export while you gather our money and dash oyinbo because of 10,% profit, mumu ppl

Igbo mentality is too dull to understand the above. I blame other Nigerians for giving them so much space in the business environment sons buying their imported substandard products.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by babaarewa(m): 7:31pm On Jan 08, 2016
Some people exploit lope-holes in government policies to enrich themselves, this was the case of previous government policies that saw people become importers overnight. Thereby depleting the foreign reserves of the nation. My brothers from the other side wants this to continue instead of looking inward and produce these imported goods in Nigeria.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Jesusloveyou: 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2016
TheSonOfMark:

Opining that Buhari's economic policies are specifically aimed at demoralizing the Igbos is akin to stating that your landlord allows grasses to grow in his compound so snakes can attack your cats. Obviously you're whipping up ethnic sentiments to score brownie points with the Igbos to help further your cause.

Buhari's policies affect us all, mostly negatively. Who do these supposed maligned Igbo traders sell their wares to? Nigerians - a pot pouri of persons from hundreds of ethnic groups. We (the masses) end up bearing the brunt of the extra costs on import duties, the widening gulf in foreign exchange rates, the prejudice of being from from one of the many bases of terrorist groups and other such negative attributes appellated to his administration.

Buhari's policies are bad (and that's putting it euphemistically) but they are NOT targeted solely at the Igbos but at Nigerians who over the decades have been taken for a ride and whose gullibility for being tricked into the pseudo-change mantra is now being repaid by an elitist government.

"Sai Buhari", anyone? No response? I thought as much. Enjoy the "change".
[/b]
is it buhari that tell d past govt and leaders to be corrupt, u were praising and clapping for corrupt peopple in d past govt, as for me, i am enjoying d change,

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nnannapat(m): 10:46pm On Jan 08, 2016
Please, anybody that is close to Cramjones( FFK) should tell him in Oshiomole's voice to "Go and die". Dude we the Igbos are wiser than you think, shove ur warped analysis up your throat.

Street ti take over.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by enigma2007(m): 8:05am On Jan 09, 2016
enigma2007:

Cant find any info that as well. CramJones should post a link to such article announcing the move!

Now i believe the OP was economical with truth especially around the moving of port to Kano. Below are the links that i could dig up:

About
http://www.shipperscouncil.com/icds-cfs.htm

ICD Activities
http://www.shipperscouncil.com/icd_activities.htm

ICD Concessionaires
http://www.shipperscouncil.com/icd_concessionaires.htm

Legal Framework for ICD
http://www.shipperscouncil.com/icds-legalframework.htm

ICD/CFS Locations
http://www.shipperscouncil.com/icds-legalframework.htm

Sentiments aside, people should please take their time to do basic research before posting such sensitive topic(s).
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Image123(m): 11:21pm On Jan 09, 2016
cramjones:
Many people have been saying that Buhari means well with his economic policies including my humble self, however, haven discussed with many people and studying who are affected the most, I am convinced to say that whilst Buhari's economic policies affect all Nigerians, the group it affects the most in a disportionate manner are the Igbos. When you examine most of these policies you would think that Igbos are specifically being targeted on all fronts. Let us examine the facts one after the other.

Not disproportionate at all, seeing that the Igbos are casually the most involved in such business of import/export. Tough decisions should not be waved or neglected because of tribal sentiments. Also, the decisions affect all because there are also businessmen and women from other tribes. Yes, we know the igbos with business but other tribes also do business, it's not like other tribes are being allowed to do things and Igbos are not, there is no partiality involved.

1. According to Vanguard news today, it was stated that Buhari's government have moved Lagos clearing house for imports to Kano. We all know that almost half of Lagos are occupied by Igbos. Igbo business men around the country have their networks in Lagos, and all they have known for many years is clearing their goods in Lagos. Moving it to Kano only adds to their cost without a concomitant value. Does it affect all business men, including hausas? Yes of course, but we all know that at least 70% of imports in Nigeria are carried out by Igbo business men all over Nigeria. This is NOT a good policy in my opinion it creates bad blood for the average Igbo business man, and make life even tougher for them.

We don't all know that almost half of Lagos are occupied by Igbos. i don't know where you pull out that assumption from. i don't know much about the move of clearing house so won't say much on it for now. However, truth be told, Lagos needs to be decongested. If it is easier and cheaper to do business from another state, people should move there. It would help generally. Business involves risks, survival and challenges. There is no bad blood anywhere.

2. The dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos. Most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. Worse still businessess that have millions of USD turn over, are prevented by the banks to collect their money, with the bank claiming they do not have dollar. This essentially grinds businesses and further makes the economy slip into oblivion. Does this policy affect other non-Igbo importers? Ofcourse yes, but given that Igbos are the engine of all of our imports in Nigeria, we can safely say that they are disproportionately affected.

The dollar policy affects every tribe, there is no disproportionate there, stop creating trouble where there is none. All tribes use foreign currency for various things, luxury, travel, internet deals, medical expenses, education. These and more are affected by the policies. Narrowing it to only imports is myopic. And BTW, the hausas and yorubas are also affected because they also do business. They are more in the BDCs(bureau de change business). It hits them most severely but nobody is crying wolf. Everybody imports, there are big businessmen from all tribes and all walks. Multinationals and even the government are all affected. It's not an Igbo thing at all.

3. Two days ago the APC government of Ambode, who in my opinion has been a confused governor, unable to just keep up with what Fashola has done, ordered that Oshodi market be destroyed. This is one of the largest market places in Nigeria and West Africa. Is it a bad policy to destroy Oshodi market for developmental reasons? Absolutely not, depending on its intent. However, what is bad policy, is when you do not give any notice, no alternatives, and then destroy peoples business that took many years to build, throwing thousands off their employment, and making many more people jobless. This is barbaric to say the least. Which group of people dominate Oshodi market? Igbos ofcourse. By many accounts, Igbos make up 85 - 90% of the traders in Oshodi. Was it a way of telling the Igbos that they are not needed in Lagos? Who inspired Ambode to take such actions?
Oshodi market was not destroyed, just a little part of it. The government says that they gave notice, i will rather believe them than assume they did not. Also, they said they made an alternative at Bolade area(the same Oshodi) The state government has a point in reducing the road side hawkers and vendors in that area, the touts, truants and criminals, and also providing a safer and environmentally friendly place is the plan. The want to make the railway place more conducive. All these are developmental strides if they are able to complete the plan. Miscreants, pirates and illegal occupants should find something to do with their lives. They can also be part of the coming agricultural revolution. There are many big markets in Lagos having many Igbo traders there. There is no message being passed to Igbos by bringing sanity to a portion of Oshodi, stop these hyperactivity. Igbo traders are all over Alaba, Apapa, Oshodi, Yaba, Ikeja, Ketu, Eko, Jankara, and many others.

I won't go further than this, but one thing is clear, PMB would have to thread carefully, or else what he thinks he is trying to make better, would only make the country worse. We do not need another civil war, policies like this only make Nigeria more polarized and ungovernable.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

-CramJones

Its Ambode, not PMB. PMB will need to step on many toes as possible for this country to move forward. Many of us voted him in so that he should step on those toes and crush them if needed. We need to outgrow tribal and religious sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 10, 2016
Ephemmm:
Though not an economist, but you can just put dust into my eyes because I had B2 in economics during my secondary school days tongue tongue tongue

1. Increase in the cost of goods have little effect on middlemen, consumers who are mostly not Ibos would be at the receiving end: how has this affected only Ibos if I may ask?

2. You also said that the dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos because most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. The simple understanding of demand and supply will tell you that the lower the supply, the higher the price: consumer will also be at the receiving end in that the little available imported product will be costlier than before. You need to wake up from your slumber.

3. Destruction of Oshodi market is a good move in my own opinion: its existence does more harm than good. Apart from the fact that the market habours bunch of criminals, its arrangement and design is an eyesour in Lagos metropolis.

However, I prefer to believe that my grandma is a virgin till date than believing that nobody was giving notice. Besides, LASG has both ownership and possession of the market: why the gnashing of teeth?

Consumers, who are mostly non-ibos are king when it comes to business activities: no business activities can survive if they don't exist. That is why it will be more easier for an horse to pass through the needle's eye than for all Ibos to go back to Biafra(availability of market/consumer).

Anything that affect Ibos business will bring about rise in the price of imported product: consumers will bear its resultant effect. A visitor to the house of bereaved has no reason to cry more than the child of the bereaved: stop being tribalistic.

This is the only right-thinking Nigerian on Nairaland. I'm a Biafran, though! But, why call us Ibo, when we're Igbo? All the same, keep educating Nigerians.
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 10, 2016
ibadanfinest:
Hypocrite Igbos,

Who are those constantly speaking against Buhari.

FFK and Fayose which shows that Yoruba are democratic.

Who are those Igbo really speaking against Buhari and pls don't mention KANU o.

All am saying is, stop thinking all Yoruba supports Buhari, its not possible ni.

I
When a man speaks, you'll know his level of civilization. Get yourself some education!
Re: Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by ibadanfinest(m): 1:15am On Jan 10, 2016
justbusy:

When a man speaks, you'll know his level of civilization. Get yourself some education!

Pls educate me cos I heard one igbo man was sacked as a PDP senator but has now join APC.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Court Document Reveals How Police Frustrated Trial Of Deborah Samuel’s ‘killers / Supporters Throng Ambode's Office To Celebrate APC Victory / Tunde Fowler Set To Be Named FIRS chairman

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.