Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh (32470 Views)

EFCC Gets New Operational Vehicles, Pics Of EFCC Boss Magu Test Driving Them / EFCC Gets Petition Against Jonathan Over Arms Deal / EFCC Gets Order To Remand Chief Femi Fani-kayode For Three Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by phemmyutd(m): 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
A court yesterday approved Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) spokesman Olisa Metuh’s detention.

Metuh was arrested on Tuesday in respect of investigation of about N1.4billion “suspicious” funds in an account of a company in which he has interest.

About N400million meant for arms purchase from the Office of the National Security Adviser(ONSA) was paid into the account of Destra Investment Limited where Metuh has a high stake.

The Economice and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) approached the Chief Magistrate’s Court in Wuse Zone 2 for an order to detain Metuh – about 30 hours after his arrest in Abuja.

The EFCC said it decided to seek an order to remand Metuh because some of his accomplices are at large.

It however did not name the accomplices who are on the run.

Moving the application at about 2.34pm, the EFCC counsel, Mr. C.O. Ugwu, said: “Your Worship, we have a remand proceeding brought by way of ex parte motion pursuant to Section 293 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015.

“The application is supported by Form 8, which is the stipulated form for an application of this nature. It is of 16-paragraph affidavit deposed to by Junaid Saidu, a detective officer with EFCC.

“We place reliance on the entirety of the deposition in the said affidavit, especially paragraphs 4-15. In a nutshell, we have brought this application because the investigation involved in this case is a bit complex and there are also persons reasonably suspected to be involved in the fraud who are yet at large.

“We need the suspect in the custody so as to aid us in our investigation. So, we have come with this application to respectfully apply for an order of this Honourable Court authorising us to keep him in custody.

“By the provision of Section 296(1) of the ACJ Act, Your Worship is enjoined to grant an application of this nature for a period of 14 days.

“May I conclude my submission by referring this Honourable Court to the case of Lufadeju v. Jonhnson(2007) 8NWLR Pt 1037 at Page 535.

“This is a case where the Supreme Court held that it is constitutional to detain a suspect so as to aid investigation and to ensure that the right of the suspect is protected.

“This is because we have approached the court to justify his detention by operation of law. So, there is no way we can detain him unnecessarily since the court is in the picture.”

Relying on sections 293 and 296 of the ACJ Act, the EFCC counsel pleaded with the court to allow the anti-graft agency to detain Metuh.

Section 293 says: “A suspect arrested for an offence, which a magistrate’s court has no jurisdiction to try shall, within a reasonable time of arrest, be brought before a magistrate’s court for remand.

“An application for remand under this section shall be made ex parte and shall (a) be made in the prescribed “Report and Request for Remand Form” as contained in Form 8, in the First Schedule to this Act; and (b) be verified on oath and contain reasons for the remand request.

Section 296 reads in part: (1) “Where an order of remand of the suspect is made pursuant to Section 293 of this Act, the order shall be for a period not exceeding 14 days in the first instance, and the case shall be returnable within the same period.

(2) “Where, on application in writing, good cause is shown why there should be an extension of the remand period, the court may make an order for further remand of the suspect for a period not exceeding 14 days and make the proceedings returnable within the same period…”

In his ruling, Chief Magistrate Okeagu Azubuike said: “This court has read carefully the affidavit in the Form 8 to support this application as well as the legal authorities submitted thereto.

“This court has therefore found merit in this application and hereby allows the applicant to detain the respondent(Olisa Metuh) in their custody from the 6th of January to 13th of January, 2016, pending the investigation.

“The Respondent(Olisa Metuh) should be given access to his lawyer, relatives and medical doctors and should be arraigned before a court of law on or before 13th of January.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/efcc-gets-court-order-to-detain-metuh/

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
Great

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by EternalTruths: 6:08pm On Jan 07, 2016
He must not die in detention. angry

14 Likes

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by kaffy4tope(m): 6:10pm On Jan 07, 2016
EternalTruths:
He must not die in detention. angry

Goan die!

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by KinkyAngela(f): 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good.

I heard he refuse to eat?
I plead with EFCC to keep warming the same food until better hunger go waya am wella. Don't serve him new meal.
In fact increase the liquidity of his beans and pap

294 Likes 27 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by northvietnam(m): 6:12pm On Jan 07, 2016
hmmmmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Plenip: 6:15pm On Jan 07, 2016
Nurse metuh ! Enjoy your stay.Seriously,
I am yet to be convinced that GEJ would not be tried,he should be prepared.
The wailers should start reharsal so that it will not catch them at unawares.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by OgbeifunErom: 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
Excellent news!

He should be kept in custody till he divulges the whereabouts of the moneys he stole from the country

Useless goat! He must vomit the Yam by force, by fire

Mkpi!

101 Likes 6 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by doctokwus: 6:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
After the initial 14days, efcc wud apply for another 14days till Metuh tells us all he knows, then the court wud jail him for 14years on all the counts, however to run concurrently.

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by DropShot: 6:24pm On Jan 07, 2016
So, this man didn't learn a thing from Dasuki?

Dasuki with his military background and initial gragra later cracked. How much more a bloody civilian Mettuh?

PMB rightly warned you guys when he said "people only need to fear the consequences of their action".

PMB fire on please. We are solidly behind you.

186 Likes 11 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Hardetutu01(m): 6:26pm On Jan 07, 2016
kenonze:
Good.

I plead with EFCC to keep warming the same food until better hunger go waya am wella. Don't serve him new meal.
u ar a bad nigga

87 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by modath(f): 6:33pm On Jan 07, 2016
Nurse be forming bad guy before..

A nor fit laugh grin cheesy

Abeg, where are our brothers nah, Fayose,& FFK

They are too silent for my liking!! cheesy

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 07, 2016
kenonze:
Good.

grin grin grin

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Dancing to Pasuma's Quality

Metuh your time for jail go long pass life imprisonment

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by theV0ice: 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
I thought some thugs 'killed' him to implicate EFCC and came to happily announce it on NL?

Did he resurrect?

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by jorlons(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Nice! FG checkmating every move of the yam eaters with the backing of the court.

If Nigeria does not kill corruption, corruption will kill Nigeria -- Buhari.

God bless PMB, the slayer of Corruption.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by jtizie(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Before now olisa metuh said he bliv dat he wil be d next target. Now d big question is: was it because he is pdp publicity secretary?. If not fraud where did apc get d money 2 win d election?. Pmb was once accused of taken money unlawfully before d election when we were in military era. As d saying goes any thief dat is in apc automatically becomes a saint. Let us see how d movie titled: pmb past government probe wil end. We are watching. Thank u nigeria

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Okanokan(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Na turn by turn! Waiting for 2019

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Dongorgon5(m): 6:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Good Development!!!
Jail them all including Jonathan.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by emmygzy(m): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
PDP don hear am.

4 Likes

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by WisdomCanada(m): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
Hhahaa serves him right

I never loved this Metuh for one day and the fact that he and his PDP witch hunters stormed our collation center in Abia to make our R.O reverse the cancelled LGAs pilled up my hatred for him, lol, Talkative, Liar, thief, hahahahaha

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by richidinho(m): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
All the Amaechi's petition file in that EFCC office

Are they using it for Ceiling Fan?

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Pavore9: 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
If Nurse Metuh is detained who takes care of the patient?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by CecyAdrian(f): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
Beautiful!!

He should stay there and form commando, and please EFCC, he initially refused food, so no food should be given to him through out his stay dia, and do not 4get to get another detention permit before the 14 days elapses.
Arrant nonsense!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by Firefire(m): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
I talk am...
Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by brunofarad(m): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
This is getting interesting

1 Like

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by mommysgirl(f): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
kenonze:
Good.

sad grin grin grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Gets Court Order To Detain Metuh by baralatie(m): 6:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
Efcc went to a citizens house invited the citizen and refused to release the citizencitizen.later went to the court to get an order to detain a citizen.
This is abuse and unfortunate

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku Support Group Meeting In London (Pictures) / IGP Mohamed Abubakar Weds Zarha, Daughter Of Ex-fct Minister / Electricity Usage Status For The Month Of August -share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.